The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

From 0 To $240,000 Per Year PROFIT In 18 Months (Acquisition Entrepreneurship)

cballs

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Dec 24, 2019
From 0 to $240,000 per year profit in 18 months

I've been a follower of this forum for about a year now, had read the Millionaire Fastlane book, and finally have decided to tell my story. About a year and a half ago, I found myself unemployed and with near zero savings, two house payments, and a second baby on the way. Things were so dire that I was contemplating bankruptcy. I had just lost my slow-lane job with one of the original big three TV network companies. Worked there for about 3 years making the mistake of transitioning away from my career in computer consulting thinking that having a job would bring a certain level of security. It didn't. Man, those were dark days.

I decided to go back to consulting. But this time instead of taking on just one client full-time, I took on a second, and then a third, and then a fourth. A couple of them, I was billing 40 hours a week, working at the client site for 1, while telecommuting for the other. Clients 3 and 4 were part-time, billing 10-20 hours a week for each but at higher rates, also remote. FYI if you haven't heard, businesses more and more are allowing the telecommuting way. So, if you hate going into your job, look for opportunities to work from home. They're out there.

Well I did this for the past year+, and life has been shit busy, but I saved up a ton, about $200,000 in a year. That felt good. I felt secure with a lot of savings, I had multiple income streams, and the second baby now walks and can feed herself. My wife suggested we invest the $200K in money market funds or CDs. Sounds good, right? Earn 2.3% APY resulting in a whopping $383/mo.! I love my wife, but not for us.

Investing in low-yield financial instruments, and working for someone whether consulting or full time. These are strong characteristics of the slow lane. I've always had an entrepreneur’s mindset. I wanted financial freedom from the daily 9-5 grind, or for me this past year, the 5am-1am grind, including weekends. Even though I had the high-paying clients, if you think about it, it's never good to have all your nuts in very few baskets. And you definitely don't want your schedule dictated to you as consulting can often times do. Besides, money was still tied to my time, and this current work schedule was unsustainable. So having a business seemed like the way to go.

How did I start a business that gives me the financial freedom and time freedom that I so desired? Funny thing. I didn't. I didn't start a new business. Oh, I created a new corporate entity initially for my consulting. But I'm just not creative enough, nor risk averse with family and kids to take a chance there. And besides, burning a year of my life working my a$$ off to roll the dice on a new venture. Nah. So did this mean that I just wasn't going to pursue financial freedom, and maybe instead continue the 100 hours a week work load? No.

About 6 months ago, I started looking at buying software/internet businesses. Why reinvent the wheel? The number of businesses sold on the internet is growing rapidly. Sure there's a ton of scams, get-rich-quick opportunities offered by fake sellers. There are a lot of businesses that the seller just wants out because of failing operations. There are businesses that are a dying breed tied to the old world, pre-internet. For example, consider commercial printing companies which as a side note I was an owner of one about 10 years ago. I'll get back to this in a moment. There are businesses that run in a saturated space like many ecommerce, dropship/Amazon businesses that may have once been profitable, but have lost their edge due to the marketplace. Oh, and blogs, need I say more. Lots of bad opportunities!

So let me quickly detour farther into the past. 10 years ago, I was the owner of a print shop. We had lots of B2B customers looking for printed material on paper. They were all local customers, who often times paid late since we invoiced at NET 30. We had employees running the machines to print and cut and collate and staple. We had leased printers and other equipment. We had leased store-front space. We had a lot of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold), namely the paper itself. Ultimately we failed, and went out of business. Simply put, sales decreased over time, the business didn't scale, the cash flow was shit due to late payers, the overhead was horrendous, and having full-time employees was expensive and such a burden.

Years later, I tried blogging. Tech centric since I'm a programmer. That was a waste of time. AdSense brought in a few hundred bucks a month. But since I don't like writing (even this posting is painful to me), it turned out not to be worth it. I tried ecommerce, AliExpress/Shopify drop shipping of apparel. Did OK for a few months, but then the sales dried up, and I had difficulty coming up with new products to sell. Hated that as well. Definitely not sustainable. So ultimately I failed.

Which bring us back to now. I say I failed, which I'm sure many of you reading this have done so as well. But I say that to make a point. Failure is not truly failure when considering what it really is. As humans, we all fail, probably every day in one form or another. Most of our failures are inconsequential. We break something. We say the wrong thing at the wrong time. We buy some product that doesn't live up to our expectations. But guess what? We adjust our behaviors to mitigate risk so that next time, we do better. Business should be treated the same. Choices that you make in business can be driven by experiences, good and bad. I have a ton of that, especially the bad.

So based on my past failures, I came up with criteria for what my next business acquisition would require. Here they are:

1) No full-time employees. Didn't want the headache.
2) Profitable. Of course.
3) Years of proven profitability.
4) Digital/software products or services. No inventory. No drop shipping.
5) Scalable.
6) No physical location. Allowing work from home without need for leasing office/store.
7) Flexible business. Caters to expanding product and service line beyond current offerings to customers.
8) Low weekly hours necessary for owner operation.
9) Instant credit card sales, vs NET30 or other delayed payment processing.
10) Minimal marketing.
11) Full control. No partnerships. Limit dependencies with external entities.

So, I'm sitting on my $200,000 nest egg from all that hard work. I'm researching businesses for sale. And I find one that is a software company that sells proprietary accounting software. Promising! I'm a programmer with tons of experience in accounting. The business has been operational for 30 years, with recurring clients going back 10+ years, and has been run by this one couple who are well into their retirement years but hadn't pulled the trigger. And guess what? This software business satisfies all 11 of my requirements above. Well, I send their broker an offer of about $200K with half of it owner-financed for 5 years. They accept. Done deal. The profit annualized is $70,000 with an initial investment of $100,000. ROI = 70%. Nice! Since taking over, I'm happy with the performance, and I only spend maybe a couple hours a week on it. I outsource the programming.

Why stop there? I know MJ preaches monogamy. But I feel you can scale your company multiple ways. 1) expanding your sales in your current product/service line, and 2) buying existing businesses to generate more revenue. The only limiting factor of the second is that you will hit a limiting threshold in time when managing and marketing your multiple business holdings. Hopefully by then, you have gotten to a point where you can hire managers to offload that work. In any case, I next took over... a blog. I laugh when I write that because as mentioned before, I hated blogging. But I'll give you a little secret. You can hire writers, which I have a whole staff of them.

The blog is more than just a blog with hundreds of thousands of viewers per month. It has an online Facebook page with a quarter million followers, and a Facebook group with tens of thousands of passionate people whose lives revolve around my niche. And I am one of them, also passionate towards the content that we generate. So, I placed an offer, and got it, trademark included. $80K. We make money working with an advertising agency that deals with handling ad fill. Profit after paying our writing staff has been about $3500/mo. So annualized is $42,000 profit/year. ROI = 52.5%.

Next acquisition. I bought a web site backup service. We have hundreds of customers that we perform nightly backups of their sites as well as make sure their sites are operational 24x7. I outsource that work to offshore for cheap, but excellent labor. I love the guys who keep this business going strong day to day. I barely do anything but accounting for this. Maybe spend half an hour a day. I got it for $35,000. And annualized we make $30K in profit. ROI = 85%.

And most recently I've assumed a web marketing business. This too has a team of contractors that do the heavy lifting. Premium one-word, business-specific, domain name that garners 30K organic traffic a month. Very little ad spend. We generate about $8000/mo. in profit, again annualized to $96K profit for an ROI = 240%. I haven't figured out why the previous owner sold this other than he didn't want to do it anymore, and wanted to concentrate on his other business. He's got rep. I did my research.

So here's the grand total annualized profit:

Accounting Software Business: $70,000
Blog and Online Community: $42,000
Web Site Backup Business: $30,000
Web Marketing Business: $96,000

Total Annualized Profit: $238,000

Mind you, since these ventures take up maybe a total of a couple hours a day for me to run, I am free to focus on marketing for growth, while keeping a couple of my consulting clients. I quit the one client where I had to go into the office, and the other remote client, I just quit because I didn't have time for them. So I work from home now. The consulting dollars gets me to $400K a year, but I will most likely stop consulting next year to completely focus on my businesses. And my family and I are planning on moving to Central America this winter, because we love it there, and hell, I can work from anywhere that has internet.

One last note on being a serial entrepreneur. I look for synergies between my businesses and any future acquisitions. Each of the four ventures that I now have complement one or more of the other businesses, so I can leverage/cross-sell amongst the lot of them. This specific business model is starting to gain traction. But one challenge for me is branding when cross-selling. I haven't figured out how to consolidate the brands most efficiently. Each has their own distinct brand that current customers trust. And future customers may gravitate to the current branding. So not sure yet, but it's a good problem to have.

Thank you for sharing!

jon11

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Nov 3, 2019
You're buying up online businesses at quite a rate!

Where did you discover this one flippa?

My search has stalled abit because haven't seen much of interest coming up but im pretty much just looking on flippa and EF. EF seems too much straightfwd tanking FBA shops. Flippa its alot of sifting wheat from chaff.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
UPDATE: I spent all weekend improving my organization. I'm back to Inbox Zero! I setup up filters in all of my Gmail accounts. I set up all starred emails to create a card automatically in Trello. I adopted the Station app browser to replace Google Chrome tabs, and so all of my business apps are more easily accessed. Love Station! Got 1Password working for password management. Set up Grammarly to fix my spelling issues everywhere. Adopted Polymail for unified inbox. And hired a second guy to handle tickets for my web hosting business. TOTAL action faking stuff, because I didn't feel like doing actual work. BUT I will be saving a ton of time. Cleaned up my desk too. Oh, and also switched from Dropbox to Google Drive.

Making yourself more efficient isn't action faking, is it? Sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do...

UPDATE: Getting organized...

My last long post here referenced my performing action faking. But context is everything. I'm on the verge of getting my business to the promised land, well at least for me. Way more money than my family needs while working half days on it and nothing else but enjoying the rest of the day doing whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want.

So at long last it was time to get organized. When you're a serial entrepreneur acquiring business after business after business, you reach a point where chaos reigns. My chaos is lack of organization. I have 6 separate email accounts. Each had thousands of emails, some going back 10 years. I decided to go inbox zero, because hoarding emails and using your inbox as a to-do list just wasn't cutting it.

I currently use Trello to keep track of everything, and I tried integrating email with it, but the process became unwieldy with Google action scripts tied to Gmail labels and email forwarding to the Trello boards. So i decided to go simple. I just wanted one simple click to mark emails for to-do items. That's when I rediscovered the star (or pin) in Gmail. On my phone, tablet, and PC, I use Spike. All work nicely with the simple act of pinning emails. So, even with a massive amount of emails, I have my email to-dos all neatly packaged with a star.

Next, I figured I would get through the 20K emails. I decided to purge stuff that was pre-2018. No looking back. That still left me with 5K emails. So with the magic of Gmail filtering, and a lot of hours at the computer, I finally paired all of it down to about 1000 emails.

I labelled all 1000 of those emails as "Keep". So now my inboxes are totally clean. But then what about daily upkeep? I don't want to sort through the gobs of junk that comes in on a daily basis. So I rediscovered Gmail filtering! I know about a lot of automated emails that come in. I created filters for a majority of them. Those emails either get forwarded to Help Scout (the help desk ticketing system for my businesses), or labelled as "Delete Later" cuz as a hoarder, I can't get myself to just let that shit go. What's left over in my daily inboxes are emails that fall through the Gmail filters, and there aren't many. Specifically, they are actual work emails, newsletters, and junk that pass the Spam filters.

One of the best features of Spike is that it has is the functionality to click a button that allows you to unsubscribe from a newsletter and then auto delete the email. Just that alone will keep my inboxes from continuing to be inundated with junk that I never read. From here, I only see the good stuff. And I give myself 4 choices:

1) Respond
2) Pin (or star) for later response or action
3) Archive
4) Delete

With these 4 choices, it's very easy for me to get through my inbox. Oh, by the way, all of my businesses are consolidated into one inbox. This setup effectively turns my chaos into the soothing sounds of, well, whatever. Currently my wife vacuuming which is drowning out my son's crying. But I am now at peace.

As a side note, my next challenge is to only do emails at specific times in the day. Probably first thing in the morning, maybe noon time, and then at the end of the day. I should allocate 20 minutes for each period. I really think that's all I need with my new system. AND maybe someday, I'll hire a VA to do this for me.

I implemented maybe 60% of this last year, whihc helped big time, but I haven't achieved the exaulted 0 inbox. Your post will help me get the other 40% of the way there.

Thank you for this.

The one thing I don't understand is how to set the star to trigger to a Trello card. Is that a paid Trello feature? Zapier? Spike?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 11, 2018
Hi Richard! Another software dev here. First of all, congratulations for your success. This thread is very inspiring and I love the fact that you answer questions very openly.

I really like the idea of buying online businesses as an alternative to building them from 0. I just have one problem though: I've never run a business until 6 months ago, and it's a more of a personal services company. I'm still learning even the most basic things about accountancy, and I don't need to do common things such as managing people. Reading this thread made me realise how much I still lack to run an existing product-based business I know nothing about.

I'll keep an eye on this, but I'm inclined to stick to my original idea of building my own product(s) and get the grasp of running that kind of business before I get into purchasing an existing one. I think that makes more sense as a first step before jumping into this pool. What do you think?

zblundell

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Oct 2, 2019
I studied at one of those prestigious engineering colleges in the US getting a bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering.

Mind you, I kind of wish I would have gone to a state school, and saved my parents a hundred grand. And I probably would have had way more fun.
I have a product that needs your assistance. Please contact me for the details. Thanks Zach

mojorisin

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
119%
Oct 6, 2019
Quick thing. Verify the customers. If you can speak with them or email them, do it. Do not just trust the seller on the accuracy of their data.
Excellent point. And thank you for sharing. Sounds simple, but hard to make the ask (for me)... curious, what would you do in my situation.

The site I'm acquiring has 3 monthly subscription customers who generate 60% of the revenue (3 of 10 total currently). They have each renewed for 3+ years. My concern was that I would "rock the boat" if I come in asking a bunch of questions as a "new owner" vs. leaving things as is. They each just re-updated their Visa CC expiration dates, etc. Nov 2019. And we have 4 new customers just came online in Jan/Feb so my plan will be to diversify with more customers vs. all "eggs in single basket". I know there is risk in the 3 main customers, however I have a clear path to continue to add more lower paying customers to grow / diversify.

What you request to communicate with the primary 3? Or leave things as is, then contact them post sale? I also wonder if they even know the site is up for sale (this is an obvious one I can ask the seller right now before purchase).

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doitman

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
1,061%
Jun 11, 2017
United States
Possibly easy... If you have the domain and hosting tomorrow, can you email the customers from the site's official email address with some innocuous message like how everything is going, and if they need anything else?

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
If I buy a business like a retail store or a cafe, but I want to be as hands off as possible

Can I just hire a manager ?

Bigguns50

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Feb 12, 2013
Sedona, AZ
I have read all of your posts for several times. Very inspiring. I'm also in the mid 40's. I have a full-time job (running digital marketing at a startup), but have also started a side hustle consulting/coaching business. The side hustle is slow lane but it provides another source of income. I have been thinking about acquiring businesses as I have done turn-around at several employers. So, your story is both inspiring and relevant to my plan. Thank you for the generous sharing.

I wonder if I can ask you a few questions:
1) How are your acquired businesses performing during current Covic-19 crisis?
2) My plan is to use my consulting/coaching revenue to fund acquisition. But, with the Federal government stimulus package, there is some benefits for SBA loans. I'm curious to get your thought on using SBA loans to acquire businesses.
3) I have been monitoring BizBuySell and Flippa, but have a hard time to find businesses at the $20K-$40K range that fit the criteria you outline. It seems that drop-ship e-commerce businesses take up a large portion of them. But, I have been only looking at this for about a month. My question: How long did it take you to search before finding a good candidate for acquisition? (1 week? a weeks? A few months?)

Thanks in advance.

OP has been silent for a while. Hope all is well.

juicey

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
124%
Jul 5, 2016
I think it's my first post in the forum, although I have been browsing for a couple of years now.... Great thread!
I am looking to potentially acquire a business, which main source of income is from AdSense and found that there may be issues when taking over the AdSense account.

How have you usually organised the switch in AdSense?

mimmo_pizzachef

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 30, 2019
Lol, there is no secret sauce. It's all laid out in this thread. The playbook is written. Honestly, everything I've done up to this point like raising capital, setting up a strategy, targeting businesses based on that strategy, and then executing the simple strategy is all in here.

For the people that have read this thread, let me know if this all makes sense. And if there are any grey areas, or you're not sure about certain details, pm me. Lots of people have already done so with their thoughts, what businesses they have targeted, and asked for my opinions on those opportunities. Just get out there and start looking even if you are window shopping. You can save money in the meantime.

Ma prima di iniziare il targeting, assicurati ancora di venire con i tuoi criteri di ciò che la tua attività futura dovrebbe soddisfare. Quindi trova quelle opportunità e torna da me. Non lasciare che la mancanza di capitale, la mancanza di esperienza o la mancanza di fiducia ti impediscano di iniziare a cercare opportunità di acquisto.

Sembro una pubblicità! Ma te lo prometto, non ti sto vendendo niente. Diavolo, sto trascorrendo molto tempo a lavorare con così tanti di voi. Ma non sto chiedendo in cambio denaro o guadagno finanziario, né lo farò mai.

L'unica cosa che ti sto vendendo è francamente un modo per entrare nella corsia di sorpasso. E il mio unico compenso è vederti avere successo.
[/CITAZIONE]
Wow You are a very humble person, a man with a big heart .. Thanks for sharing your experiences with us

mimmo_pizzachef

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
May 30, 2019
Lol, there is no secret sauce. It's all laid out in this thread. The playbook is written. Honestly, everything I've done up to this point like raising capital, setting up a strategy, targeting businesses based on that strategy, and then executing the simple strategy is all in here.

For the people that have read this thread, let me know if this all makes sense. And if there are any grey areas, or you're not sure about certain details, pm me. Lots of people have already done so with their thoughts, what businesses they have targeted, and asked for my opinions on those opportunities. Just get out there and start looking even if you are window shopping. You can save money in the meantime.

Ma prima di iniziare il targeting, assicurati ancora di venire con i tuoi criteri di ciò che la tua attività futura dovrebbe soddisfare. Quindi trova quelle opportunità e torna da me. Non lasciare che la mancanza di capitale, la mancanza di esperienza o la mancanza di fiducia ti impediscano di iniziare a cercare opportunità di acquisto.

Sembro una pubblicità! Ma te lo prometto, non ti sto vendendo niente. Diavolo, sto trascorrendo molto tempo a lavorare con così tanti di voi. Ma non sto chiedendo in cambio denaro o guadagno finanziario, né lo farò mai.

L'unica cosa che ti sto vendendo è francamente un modo per entrare nella corsia di sorpasso. E il mio unico compenso è vederti avere successo.
[/CITAZIONE]

imagination

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Dec 14, 2012
So, I'm sitting on my $200,000 nest egg from all that hard work. I'm researching businesses for sale. And I find one that is a software company that sells proprietary accounting software. Promising! I'm a programmer with tons of experience in accounting. The business has been operational for 30 years, with recurring clients going back 10+ years, and has been run by this one couple who are well into their retirement years but hadn't pulled the trigger. And guess what? This software business satisfies all 11 of my requirements above. Well, I send their broker an offer of about $200K with half of it owner-financed for 5 years. They accept. Done deal. The profit annualized is $70,000 with an initial investment of $100,000. ROI = 70%. Nice! Since taking over, I'm happy with the performance, and I only spend maybe a couple hours a week on it. I outsource the programming.

Keep in mind that Odoo blows all traditional accounting software out of the water (and it's open source with a fantastic subscription based business model so they have money overflow) and the very probable upcoming move of the whole world to crypto will completely seal the fate of the traditional accounting as part of the "good old days".

Mark_Entr

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
72%
Aug 18, 2020
Thanks a lot for sharing your experience with detailed numbers. Wish you the best.

lifestylelane

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 16, 2020
Portland

I've been a follower of this forum for about a year now, had read the Millionaire Fastlane book, and finally have decided to tell my story. About a year and a half ago, I found myself unemployed and with near zero savings, two house payments, and a second baby on the way. Things were so dire that I was contemplating bankruptcy. I had just lost my slow-lane job with one of the original big three TV network companies. Worked there for about 3 years making the mistake of transitioning away from my career in computer consulting thinking that having a job would bring a certain level of security. It didn't. Man, those were dark days.

I decided to go back to consulting. But this time instead of taking on just one client full-time, I took on a second, and then a third, and then a fourth. A couple of them, I was billing 40 hours a week, working at the client site for 1, while telecommuting for the other. Clients 3 and 4 were part-time, billing 10-20 hours a week for each but at higher rates, also remote. FYI if you haven't heard, businesses more and more are allowing the telecommuting way. So, if you hate going into your job, look for opportunities to work from home. They're out there.

Well I did this for the past year+, and life has been shit busy, but I saved up a ton, about $200,000 in a year. That felt good. I felt secure with a lot of savings, I had multiple income streams, and the second baby now walks and can feed herself. My wife suggested we invest the $200K in money market funds or CDs. Sounds good, right? Earn 2.3% APY resulting in a whopping $383/mo.! I love my wife, but not for us.

Investing in low-yield financial instruments, and working for someone whether consulting or full time. These are strong characteristics of the slow lane. I've always had an entrepreneur’s mindset. I wanted financial freedom from the daily 9-5 grind, or for me this past year, the 5am-1am grind, including weekends. Even though I had the high-paying clients, if you think about it, it's never good to have all your nuts in very few baskets. And you definitely don't want your schedule dictated to you as consulting can often times do. Besides, money was still tied to my time, and this current work schedule was unsustainable. So having a business seemed like the way to go.

How did I start a business that gives me the financial freedom and time freedom that I so desired? Funny thing. I didn't. I didn't start a new business. Oh, I created a new corporate entity initially for my consulting. But I'm just not creative enough, nor risk averse with family and kids to take a chance there. And besides, burning a year of my life working my a$$ off to roll the dice on a new venture. Nah. So did this mean that I just wasn't going to pursue financial freedom, and maybe instead continue the 100 hours a week work load? No.

About 6 months ago, I started looking at buying software/internet businesses. Why reinvent the wheel? The number of businesses sold on the internet is growing rapidly. Sure there's a ton of scams, get-rich-quick opportunities offered by fake sellers. There are a lot of businesses that the seller just wants out because of failing operations. There are businesses that are a dying breed tied to the old world, pre-internet. For example, consider commercial printing companies which as a side note I was an owner of one about 10 years ago. I'll get back to this in a moment. There are businesses that run in a saturated space like many ecommerce, dropship/Amazon businesses that may have once been profitable, but have lost their edge due to the marketplace. Oh, and blogs, need I say more. Lots of bad opportunities!

So let me quickly detour farther into the past. 10 years ago, I was the owner of a print shop. We had lots of B2B customers looking for printed material on paper. They were all local customers, who often times paid late since we invoiced at NET 30. We had employees running the machines to print and cut and collate and staple. We had leased printers and other equipment. We had leased store-front space. We had a lot of COGS (Cost of Goods Sold), namely the paper itself. Ultimately we failed, and went out of business. Simply put, sales decreased over time, the business didn't scale, the cash flow was shit due to late payers, the overhead was horrendous, and having full-time employees was expensive and such a burden.

Years later, I tried blogging. Tech centric since I'm a programmer. That was a waste of time. AdSense brought in a few hundred bucks a month. But since I don't like writing (even this posting is painful to me), it turned out not to be worth it. I tried ecommerce, AliExpress/Shopify drop shipping of apparel. Did OK for a few months, but then the sales dried up, and I had difficulty coming up with new products to sell. Hated that as well. Definitely not sustainable. So ultimately I failed.

Which bring us back to now. I say I failed, which I'm sure many of you reading this have done so as well. But I say that to make a point. Failure is not truly failure when considering what it really is. As humans, we all fail, probably every day in one form or another. Most of our failures are inconsequential. We break something. We say the wrong thing at the wrong time. We buy some product that doesn't live up to our expectations. But guess what? We adjust our behaviors to mitigate risk so that next time, we do better. Business should be treated the same. Choices that you make in business can be driven by experiences, good and bad. I have a ton of that, especially the bad.

So based on my past failures, I came up with criteria for what my next business acquisition would require. Here they are:

5) Scalable.
6) No physical location. Allowing work from home without need for leasing office/store.
7) Flexible business. Caters to expanding product and service line beyond current offerings to customers.
10) Minimal marketing.

Why stop there? I know MJ preaches monogamy. But I feel you can scale your company multiple ways. 1) expanding your sales in your current product/service line, and 2) buying existing businesses to generate more revenue. The only limiting factor of the second is that you will hit a limiting threshold in time when managing and marketing your multiple business holdings. Hopefully by then, you have gotten to a point where you can hire managers to offload that work. In any case, I next took over... a blog. I laugh when I write that because as mentioned before, I hated blogging. But I'll give you a little secret. You can hire writers, which I have a whole staff of them.

The blog is more than just a blog with hundreds of thousands of viewers per month. It has an online Facebook page with a quarter million followers, and a Facebook group with tens of thousands of passionate people whose lives revolve around my niche. And I am one of them, also passionate towards the content that we generate. So, I placed an offer, and got it, trademark included. $80K. We make money working with an advertising agency that deals with handling ad fill. Profit after paying our writing staff has been about $3500/mo. So annualized is $42,000 profit/year. ROI = 52.5%.

Next acquisition. I bought a web site backup service. We have hundreds of customers that we perform nightly backups of their sites as well as make sure their sites are operational 24x7. I outsource that work to offshore for cheap, but excellent labor. I love the guys who keep this business going strong day to day. I barely do anything but accounting for this. Maybe spend half an hour a day. I got it for $35,000. And annualized we make $30K in profit. ROI = 85%.

And most recently I've assumed a web marketing business. This too has a team of contractors that do the heavy lifting. Premium one-word, business-specific, domain name that garners 30K organic traffic a month. Very little ad spend. We generate about $8000/mo. in profit, again annualized to $96K profit for an ROI = 240%. I haven't figured out why the previous owner sold this other than he didn't want to do it anymore, and wanted to concentrate on his other business. He's got rep. I did my research.

Mind you, since these ventures take up maybe a total of a couple hours a day for me to run, I am free to focus on marketing for growth, while keeping a couple of my consulting clients. I quit the one client where I had to go into the office, and the other remote client, I just quit because I didn't have time for them. So I work from home now. The consulting dollars gets me to $400K a year, but I will most likely stop consulting next year to completely focus on my businesses. And my family and I are planning on moving to Central America this winter, because we love it there, and hell, I can work from anywhere that has internet.

One last note on being a serial entrepreneur. I look for synergies between my businesses and any future acquisitions. Each of the four ventures that I now have complement one or more of the other businesses, so I can leverage/cross-sell amongst the lot of them. This specific business model is starting to gain traction. But one challenge for me is branding when cross-selling. I haven't figured out how to consolidate the brands most efficiently. Each has their own distinct brand that current customers trust. And future customers may gravitate to the current branding. So not sure yet, but it's a good problem to have.

Hello JustDoItMan, I was just looking around the internet on how to buy online businesses and found this post. I was wondering if you have any advice on due diligence before buying online businesses? I might be able to refer you, digital marketers, from the private digital marketing Facebook group that I am apart of if you are interested. What is the best way to contact you?

About me, I am 20 years old practicing my digital marketing skills for different clients for free to build up my portfolio. After reading Rich dad Poor dad and Millionaire Fast Lane, I was so obsessed with learning about what kind of asset to invest in to build my lifestyle.

sfarieri

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
Oct 11, 2020
Long Island, NY

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

This is absolutely fantastic and an interesting read. I'm currently unemployed due to covid, have a wife and a 14 month old son, and of course a mortgage payment. Thankfully, we have my wife's income and a rental income that pays about half our mortgage. With that said, I decided I wanted a change. I decided to read books (never was a reader until now) (read 13 so far since Covid begun including TMF and just started Unscripted ). I decided to start meditating, visualizing, setting daily goals that I mark off on my phone and track how I do with them. Also, created a side web design and social media service business. I have only had a few clients so far, but I realize its slowlane and not really scalable.

With Covid, I'm the one taking care of my son (we don't trust daycare with this virus still around), so a lot of my time is dedicated to him until night. I do want a job to bring in income (cause there's a multi-family house for that will be going on the market soon that Id love to buy for a bigger house for myself, and more rental income), but at the same time I don't because I really don't want slowlane life.

My mind is always thinking about something entrepreneurial to do, but my problem is starting. I'm just not sure how. And I probably need to educate myself in certain area's to master my craft and maybe be able to start what I want to do. I definitely don't want to pay absurd prices to go back to college. Side note, I am thinking of taking real estate course to get my real estate license and become an agent. They do make some decent money in Long Island, NY because the housing market stays crazy here. Just to get some income coming in until I can make my thoughts a reality.

Thank you for your story.

BarKogan$

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
57%
Sep 29, 2020

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Wow!
Thats inspiring !!

OME

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Feb 24, 2019
Hey guys,

As @doitman has not been seen in a while, I was wondering if anyone has made some progress in the same excellent direction as he went?

I have started to finally find some decent deals, but still really need a mentor to act as a sounding board for the tough questions that could be real critical.

Please let me know if anyone else in the "Acquisition" lane has had any luck with the following:

A. Finding a mentor who deals in the lower market where most of us are looking
B. Have any stories to share of similar "Buy a Business" experience
C. Knowing anybody who has bought/sold a small business (online or brick & mortar) that might be someone I could reach out to, even as a paid coach

Take care!
I have done this and open to other investors or mentoring/coaching.

moneyman77

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 26, 2021
This is absolutely fantastic and an interesting read. I'm currently unemployed due to covid, have a wife and a 14 month old son, and of course a mortgage payment. Thankfully, we have my wife's income and a rental income that pays about half our mortgage. With that said, I decided I wanted a change. I decided to read books (never was a reader until now) (read 13 so far since Covid begun including TMF and just started Unscripted ). I decided to start meditating, visualizing, setting daily goals that I mark off on my phone and track how I do with them. Also, created a side web design and social media service business. I have only had a few clients so far, but I realize its slowlane and not really scalable.

With Covid, I'm the one taking care of my son (we don't trust daycare with this virus still around), so a lot of my time is dedicated to him until night. I do want a job to bring in income (cause there's a multi-family house for that will be going on the market soon that Id love to buy for a bigger house for myself, and more rental income), but at the same time I don't because I really don't want slowlane life.

My mind is always thinking about something entrepreneurial to do, but my problem is starting. I'm just not sure how. And I probably need to educate myself in certain area's to master my craft and maybe be able to start what I want to do. I definitely don't want to pay absurd prices to go back to college. Side note, I am thinking of taking real estate course to get my real estate license and become an agent. They do make some decent money in Long Island, NY because the housing market stays crazy here. Just to get some income coming in until I can make my thoughts a reality.

Thank you for your story.

Jonny Marciano

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
44%
Jul 24, 2020
West Palm Beach, FL

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Great stuff man. Well done. Thanks for sharing!

James2830

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jul 9, 2020
New Jersey

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Where do you find those businesses? I'm interested in buying a few

VinThePro

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Jan 6, 2021
Lilongwe, Malawi

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Amazing inspiring story. Hearing this encourages me. It's definitely not easy to achieve what you have in such a time frame, but you have made it possible.

I am just starting off myself and I am scared. There are a lot of things I do not know and I get headaches thinking about it all. But I know I will learn as time goes.

Thank you for sharing your story

Soul Slider

New Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Dec 12, 2019

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

Hi @doitman,

I love this post. Its the route that I want to take and have been planning to take. Im just waiting on exiting my current partnership to use that capital for the future acquisition.

Please forgive me I haven't read thru all the posts so I don't know if someone has already suggested a solution to your branding problem. But here is my idea. Maintain all the individual brands, unless you think you can individually rebrand a certain one, cause it makes sense as per that specific business. I would then open a new organization that owns all the other businesses. (I guess you don't have to open the new organization but just pitch it that way). And this new organization/biz has a driven vision that is fulfilled by acquiring other businesses.

So for example:

XYZ. LLC (The parent company) - We believe in providing service while limiting the use of natural resources of our lovely planet earth. We also want to shine light on the skills and talent of people no matter where they are in the world. Thats why we believe in the power of the internet enabling a new way of doing business, giving more freedom and power to the individual.

Now you can just add a new tag line to the existing businesses that says Accounting. INC now owned by XYZ LLC please click here to learn why we purchased this business. (take them to the relevant page on XYZ website).

I think this builds the rep for XYZ and also lets you see how receptive your existing customers of each individual business are to the idea of XYZ. (It might be that if you have already engaged with customers directly a lot of them won't mind, I don't know). Then as you see fit you can rebrand each biz with the same branding of XYZ and slowly everything would come under XYZ if it made sense.

Just my 2 cents, I hope it was useful and I didn't bore you.

Again loved the post and best of luck!

p31

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Jun 2, 2016

5) Scalable.
10) Minimal marketing.

How do you get 70% ROI for purchasing businesses?
For instance I've never found any above 25% ROI in EmpireFlippers...

Also, what would you say be the absolute minimum ROI that I should never buy below? Would that be around 50%?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.