The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forever Jobless has launched!

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
As long as you don't say something like, "I think your smart" or "you can do this to,"

You mean attempting to become a motivational hype man? Or something else?

Was there that big of a complaint about your first two posts?

A few people I know personally had mentioned the writing held back the content in the first two. So, I took a post I would have normally posted, and spent another 10 hours or so on it focusing on the writing, and wondered if there was a noticeable difference to readers or not.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Your continuing distrust of your writing ability has been puzzling, honestly. It never occured to me that your writing was amateurish, boring, or otherwise unfit for your blog. I think you're writing is perfectly fine! Great content too. Keep up the good work; I always look forward to new posts.

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
You mean attempting to become a motivational hype man? Or something else?

LOL no sorry, I was referring to the use of "your" vs "you're" and "to" vs "too." It's just a pet peeve, I don't think most people care.

As long as you don't say something like, "I think your smart" or "you can do this to,"
as opposed to
As long as you don't say something like, "I think you're smart" or "you can do this too,"

Without reading the posts again, I thought they were all good and didn't notice a difference or anything that bothered me.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Your continuing distrust of your writing ability has been puzzling, honestly. It never occured to me that your writing was amateurish, boring, or otherwise unfit for your blog. I think you're writing is perfectly fine! Great content too. Keep up the good work; I always look forward to new posts.

I'm trying to make it as good as possible, as quickly as possible.

For people interested in the content, sometimes it's easy to look past the writing because the content is very interesting since they like the subject.

It may not be "bad", but if it can be improved, it's extremely important to fix to be able to reach a large audience, since people who may not be diehard about the content I'm posting, will leave if the writing doesn't keep them interested.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
A few people I know personally had mentioned the writing held back the content in the first two.

:Lies: Seriously? Give me a break. They can get over it.

:iagree: I enjoy your writing style and suggest you don't spend that many hours trying to hone it. Just put it out there. The content is what's important. Speed+ to you for the blog post and Speed+ for Amail for the post I couldn't agree more with.

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I'm trying to make it as good as possible, as quickly as possible.
it's extremely important to fix to be able to reach a large audience, since people who may not be diehard about the content I'm posting, will leave if the writing doesn't keep them interested.

Fair enough. However, I think that anyone's writing will improve with practice. I just don't think you need to sweat it so much right now.

Now, what feedback specifically have you received? From your last comment, is it the writing is not interesting enough? If that is the case, I'm curious what suggestions for improvement they provided you.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I enjoy your writing style and suggest you don't spend that many hours trying to hone it. Just put it out there. The content is what's important

Thanks!

Well, I have high goals with the blog -- so I'm competing with myself. The hours I'm spending practicing the writing will help me achieve my goals with it.

The content is what's important to people who are interested in the content. If my goal is to also try and reach an audience who isn't familiar with the content/as interested in it, from what I've seen, my writing has to be on a higher level. My goals definitely involve reaching those people.

Thanks for your feedback!

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Now, what feedback specifically have you received? From your last comment, is it the writing is not interesting enough? If that is the case, I'm curious what suggestions for improvement they provided you.

I'll get into more specifics once I get further along with learning -- I just started.

Mainly, the flow of my writing was not very good -- people interested in the content could get through it, because they were interested in the content. If people weren't interested in the content, they would give up before giving it a chance most likely.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Some great content Billy, just shared the funny comic and link on my FB wall at TMF ... should get you some more readers. :)

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Could use some feedback- tried a custom twitter background: https://twitter.com/BillyMurph

Does this saying make it seem spammy or guru'ish. Try to think about it from a standpoint of if you didn't know any of the content - would this be a message that would come off as interesting, or a message that would come off as "some spammy dude trying to convince people to follow him"?

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
Does this saying make it seem spammy or guru'ish. Try to think about it from a standpoint of if you didn't know any of the content - would this be a message that would come off as interesting, or a message that would come off as "some spammy dude trying to convince people to follow him"?

I like it knowing what your blog is all about. Try reading it without "so called." It sounds better to me, how about you? What about "i'm here to change that" in place of "the exception"? Also, the last one or two letters get cut off on my screen. I see:

most so calle
'make money blogge

AllenCrawley

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
420%
Oct 13, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ

Thanks for posting that. I actually used to play poker a lot for about 4-5 years. Never did it "professionally" but ripped it up locally in the back room of bars, cigar stores, private homes, a local poker club and online. It was a very nice side income for me. However, never did nearly as well online as I did live. I got a few scary stories I get to tell people every once in awhile. I actually miss playing.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

mayana

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
Apr 26, 2011
Georgia, USA
I like your picture! I think it makes you look "approachable"... unless that's not the look you are going for ;)

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I feel uneasy with your pic... I mean, you are a nice guy and everything, but that squatting position? hmmm, not so sure.

Probably going to switch the pic

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I like your picture! I think it makes you look "approachable"... unless that's not the look you are going for ;)

thanks. ya, i thought it was fine to use, but have had a ton of people emailing telling me to change it, so i guess most people don't like that i'm kneeling down in it.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I may do some sort of monthly reports on my blog.

I'm looking for interesting things to list.

Some people do income reports, some people do traffic reports, etc...

Any interesting ideas that no one is doing right now?

TK1

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Mar 31, 2011
I may do some sort of monthly reports on my blog.

I'm looking for interesting things to list.

Some people do income reports, some people do traffic reports, etc...

Any interesting ideas that no one is doing right now?

Here are some ideas from quick brainstorming:

- I would be interested in you doing a diary like Jack did: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/your-goals-your-fastlane-plan/29468-diary-opening-new-business.html

- a list of your biggest business mistakes and what you've learned from them (maybe even monthly mistakes???)

- your personal rules for being a succesful entrepreneur (or 'rules for becoming successful') like James Altucher did: The 100 Rules for Being an Entrepreneur Altucher Confidential (this post is among the most popular ones on his blog)

- a list of things you've learned playing poker that help you in the entrepreneurial world

- i would personally love a list / your take on 'how to build a brand'

- of course a list of the most common mistakes new selfemployed people make

- your favorite books

- your bucket list

- your top due dilligence tips when looking for ecommerce deals / buying businesses

- maybe you can get some inspiration using listverse: Top 10 Lists - Listverse
plus there are many more sites like listverse, i've used similiar site search for it: 50 Listverse Similar Sites | Websites Like Listverse.com - SimilarSiteSearch.com

Last edited by a moderator:

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
Here are some ideas from quick brainstorming

thanks TK...

I'm actually looking for 'monthly report' type ideas, rather than post ideas right now. i'll be doing some of the ones you mentioned as posts...

I'm looking for something I can update on a monthly basis, and have it be unique.

Examples:

-monthly report showing my traffic numbers on the blog

-monthly income report

etc...

those have both been done, and am trying to do something a bit different than the norm

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
What about an update of all of your businesses. I think Bio had something similar to this on his blog, or I could be thinking of someone else. You don't even have to mention the site name or profit, just Site A, B, C, etc.

Site A: 4,500 visitors. 30 sales. 40% from SEO, 60% from affiliates.
Site B: 11,000 visitors. 90 sales. 25% from SEO, 25% from PPC, 50% from Social media.

P.S. I still think it would be nice to have a page with the links to all of your interviews.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'd like to see monthly reports for each different marketing campaign and sales strategy.

For example: Traffic increase from new Adwords campaign; Revenue from twitter links; Profit increase when offering free shipping...

Of course, that on top of revenue and profit trends would make sense for me.

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
What about an update of all of your businesses. I think Bio had something similar to this on his blog, or I could be thinking of someone else. You don't even have to mention the site name or profit, just Site A, B, C, etc.

Site A: 4,500 visitors. 30 sales. 40% from SEO, 60% from affiliates.
Site B: 11,000 visitors. 90 sales. 25% from SEO, 25% from PPC, 50% from Social media.

I'm planning on doing some version of business updates for some of my businesses. I have so many different sites I wouldn't want to list them all because I think it would be boring for a lot of the ones that are kind of the same/not much new happening with them.

P.S. I still think it would be nice to have a page with the links to all of your interviews.

I may do this at some point, but am undecided right now

snowbank

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
226%
Aug 10, 2007
Austin, TX
I'd like to see monthly reports for each different marketing campaign and sales strategy.

For example: Traffic increase from new Adwords campaign; Revenue from twitter links; Profit increase when offering free shipping...

Of course, that on top of revenue and profit trends would make sense for me.

I probably wouldn't be able to talk about monthly income for my businesses, because my businesses are different than other bloggers who are doing that. Most people doing income reports right now don't have much worry of competition based on the things they're doing(mainly promoting affiliate products and adsense), where posting about it won't affect their income, but would for me on some of my projects.

Marketing- same thing- a lot of others are using the same exact marketing techniques, so I don't necessarily want to out all the stuff I do that works, and let all my competitors know how I market and what I made from it.

If there's a way to do these things where I don't give up info that would hurt the businesses(similar to what Wade suggested), I may share some of that info. I just think it'd get boring/hard to follow if I had, "website #27--....website #28, etc....."

PokerRich

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
20%
Jan 15, 2008
Minnesota
I found your blog through another source, can't remember where now, and signed up after reading your first couple articles. You're probably only the third or fourth blog I have ever signed up to get updates for. Not sure how I didn't figure it out but I didn't even realize it was you when I signed up. Keep up the good work and the great content!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.