The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

For you marketing guys...

Marketing, social media, advertising

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
Hey guys,
Looking for some help. I run a pressure washing company here in my local area and have been wanting to zero in on the SEO side of things. I've run a couple google and facebook ads with no luck. My website is washwarriors.com

Does anyone have tips for making more effective ads / and or ranking higher on google my business/ google?
How do I get on the first page of google?
Thanks in advance!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
You wash windows? You should be a millionaire soon. No joke! I tried for a week to get a window washer... finally got one and they sucked. I tried for another 18 months to get a good one and ended up paying my handyman to do it PLUS I had to help because after all, he is not a window washer, he is a handyman. We only broke 1 window :eek: But they look damn good. :)

My buddy in Kansas City always told me to go in to the window cleaning business but I never did.

GoodluckChuck

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
419%
Feb 2, 2017
my house
Fill out your GMB 100% and get as many good reviews as you can. Get in the habit of taking pictures on the job and posting them from the location.

Then make a really good website. You can find other GMBs in other cities that seem to rank well and emulate them. Try stuff and measure what moves the needle.

Trial and error will get you there. All the info you need is on the internet. Just learn how to look and see with your own eyes. You'll learn more from observing real websites and listings than you will reading people's advice. Google changes fast so just get tuned in and stay tuned in!

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I thought I'd look around in your area for window washing websites and once again, I was very pleased to see a Weebly website at the top. And on top of that, they have the cheapest plan (I think like $3 a month or something like that). Spanking those wordpress sites once again :smuggy: @Primeperiwinkle

On the other hand, you came up #49, even for a wordpress site that ain't so great.

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018
I thought I'd look around in your area for window washing websites and once again, I was very pleased to see a Weebly website at the top. And on top of that, they have the cheapest plan (I think like $3 a month or something like that). Spanking those wordpress sites once again :smuggy: @Primeperiwinkle

On the other hand, you came up #49, even for a wordpress site that ain't so great.

Stop taunting me you old coot. I’m on the five year plan!!!!

lmfao.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019

I know nothing about seo, or getting it up. Any ideas to integrate? Will be researching more as well

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
I know nothing about seo, or getting it up. Any ideas to integrate? Will be researching more as well

About the website..... I was just joking because people say Wordpress is the best, while they say Weebly is the worst and I use Weebly. I will send you a message later.

As for getting it up.... I can't help with that part. :eek: :rofl:

Sorry, you know I couldn't pass that up! ;)

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@ChrisGav shift gears and go GET your customers ..... the way you are approaching it, you should just have a yard sign printed up for your yard and sit beside it and hope..... knock on some doors and make some calls, man!

be active and CREATE your future ........ quit being sheep and hoping they will find you......

Primeperiwinkle

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Nov 30, 2018

You need to get your Google My Business set up first. That’s what GoodluckChuck already recommended but I don’t think you recognized how valuable his advice truly was.

You don’t need a good website to get into the Map pack Google puts at the top of a search, you just need a GMB with excellent reviews and regular posts. Then when ppl click on that it will link to your website which can be Weebly or whatever.

Make 30 posts in Googledocs. One for each day of the month. Post them one at a time. They will be deleted by Google so reusing them is not a problem.

That alone might shoot your business through the roof with sales.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
To clarify, I was wanting to spend my nights working on SEO to build up the marketing side of things. I have a google my business page as well but have not been actively posting. It seems that's something I need to do.

In my mind, in order to scale, it will require effective marketing. Knocking on doors and what not is only so scalable. I'm looking to aim towards scaling it online in my free-time and nights when I'm not working.
Thanks

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019

MHP368

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Aug 17, 2016
Sahuarita AZ
Andy Black has a course, I get his weekly emails but can't find the url to signup for the course off the top of my head

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@ChrisGav what is the outcome you are after? this week, this month, this year, 5 years?

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
$100,000 in revenue by november 10th of this year
more specific and add the other time frames.

you could easily have $100k in revenue. do jobs for 1/3 price.

what is the exit strategy for this business? what are you wanting for its outcome?

that could help some of the replies..... just trying to help you get where you are trying to get! :)

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
more specific and add the other time frames.

you could easily have $100k in revenue. do jobs for 1/3 price.

what is the exit strategy for this business? what are you wanting for its outcome?

that could help some of the replies..... just trying to help you get where you are trying to get! :)
This month I set a goal for 2k in revenue, interesting story. I wrote the goal down, then the next day, got a call for a $2,000 job.
March goal: 8k in revenue
5-year goal: I don't know. I don't know what I want to do long term. My ultimate goal was retirement by the age of 30. I don't want to be a pressure washer per se, long term, but I thought it could be a jumpstart to funding my other ventures and learning. How do you discover what niche/market you jump into?
Been thinking recently, I'm a powerful writer naturally. Thought about maybe looking into copywriting or something of that nature.

As far as plans for the business, It's interesting you ask. I don't know the end goal really. I didn't expect it to really turn into something, not that it's a wildly successful business yet, but has really grown and I've learned a lot. Ultimately, I'd like to hire people on and remove myself from it. Sort of have it as a passive income stream in the background as I move forth on other ideas.

Thoughts?

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
My thought is you shouldn't "do SEO" every night. Don't hire an SEO either. Not a good use of your time or money.

So I did some research...

Your main keyword phrase is pressure washing service. It only gets 20 searches monthly for your entire county. Your maps page won't rank in the entire county. It won't even rank in Greenville since your address isn't in Greenville.

There are hundreds of people that look for pressure washing or pressure washer. The problem with that is you don't know that they're looking for you or if they're looking to rent a machine. Judging on the search engine results pages it looks more like they're interested in renting.

And there is the issue of your address again.

For these and other reasons, if you're going to go at this alone, it'll take you a while to rank it.

Your time is better spent doing something else right now. More on that in a moment.

I mean fill out your Google my business page for sure (have you done it yet?). And ask for reviews of every customer. Get them to leave it on Google until you have at least 25.

Make this your title tag of your home page.

Pressure Washing Service Greenville | Power Washing & Window Washing | Wash Warriors

Other than reviews, that is like an hour of work. Less. And then stop "SEO"ing.

In the meantime...

HomeAdvisor and thumbtack are already on the first page.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Pay for those leads for a while. Because they're getting their leads from Google. Be ready to respond fast, early bird gets the worm.

If you can only afford to do one, do thumbtack, it ranks higher.

Yelp and Angie's list are on the first page too. Create your listings on those two directories. Don't pay to advertise on them.

If you get a client from Yelp or Angie's list ask them to leave you a review on Angie's list or Yelp instead of Google. Maybe go wild and create a Manta and Porch and Bing maps listing too.

Focus on kicking a$$ on Angie's list customers, because then you'll win their service award, which will be a big credibility booster when you put it on the website.

Once you have 25 Google reviews, start asking for more reviews on Yelp, Angie's list, and even your Facebook page.

Focus on other marketing methods for the next four to six months to grow your business.

Join your local Realtors association have a profile on that that links to your site. Join a chamber of commerce. Create a profile that links to your site.

If you see your budget on thumbtack in home advisor leads start creeping up over $300 a month, then consider doing an SEO strategy.

I doubt it will.

If you still really want to go at it with Google at night, I wouldn't go after SEO, I would get better at Google Ads. You can advertise to the whole county. You'll get faster results and learn more about what phrases you want to target for SEO.

Don't try and bid to be number one.

Most people looking for a pressure washing service will bid the top three services. and the search engine results pages show for ads at the top for your main keyword phrases. So bid enough to be number three.

Share the link your Google ads with your Google my business page.

6-12 months from now Google will trust your site more. Maybe then you "do some SEO". (What's the thumbtack budget again). And you'll be stored with the adwords data. Andy has a thread about the power of that somewhere. Feel free to reach out if you want more advice then.

And one of these days when you are balling (and you will be), if you feel any of the advice in this thread helped get you there, I ask that you consider paying it forward and sponsor someone as an insider.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
My thought is you shouldn't "do SEO" every night. Don't hire an SEO either. Not a good use of your time or money.

So I did some research...

Your main keyword phrase is pressure washing service. It only gets 20 searches monthly for your entire county. Your maps page won't rank in the entire county. It won't even rank in Greenville since your address isn't in Greenville.

There are hundreds of people that look for pressure washing or pressure washer. The problem with that is you don't know that they're looking for you or if they're looking to rent a machine. Judging on the search engine results pages it looks more like they're interested in renting.

And there is the issue of your address again.

For these and other reasons, if you're going to go at this alone, it'll take you a while to rank it.

Your time is better spent doing something else right now. More on that in a moment.

I mean fill out your Google my business page for sure (have you done it yet?). And ask for reviews of every customer. Get them to leave it on Google until you have at least 25.

Make this your title tag of your home page.

Pressure Washing Service Greenville | Power Washing & Window Washing | Wash Warriors

Other than reviews, that is like an hour of work. Less. And then stop "SEO"ing.

In the meantime...

HomeAdvisor and thumbtack are already on the first page.

If you can't beat them, join them.

Pay for those leads for a while. Because they're getting their leads from Google. Be ready to respond fast, early bird gets the worm.

If you can only afford to do one, do thumbtack, it ranks higher.

Yelp and Angie's list are on the first page too. Create your listings on those two directories. Don't pay to advertise on them.

If you get a client from Yelp or Angie's list ask them to leave you a review on Angie's list or Yelp instead of Google. Maybe go wild and create a Manta and Porch and Bing maps listing too.

Focus on kicking a$$ on Angie's list customers, because then you'll win their service award, which will be a big credibility booster when you put it on the website.

Once you have 25 Google reviews, start asking for more reviews on Yelp, Angie's list, and even your Facebook page.

Focus on other marketing methods for the next four to six months to grow your business.

Join your local Realtors association have a profile on that that links to your site. Join a chamber of commerce. Create a profile that links to your site.

If you see your budget on thumbtack in home advisor leads start creeping up over $300 a month, then consider doing an SEO strategy.

I doubt it will.

If you still really want to go at it with Google at night, I wouldn't go after SEO, I would get better at Google Ads. You can advertise to the whole county. You'll get faster results and learn more about what phrases you want to target for SEO.

Don't try and bid to be number one.

Most people looking for a pressure washing service will bid the top three services. and the search engine results pages show for ads at the top for your main keyword phrases. So bid enough to be number three.

Share the link your Google ads with your Google my business page.

6-12 months from now Google will trust your site more. Maybe then you "do some SEO". (What's the thumbtack budget again). And you'll be stored with the adwords data. Andy has a thread about the power of that somewhere. Feel free to reach out if you want more advice then.

And one of these days when you are balling (and you will be), if you feel any of the advice in this thread helped get you there, I ask that you consider paying it forward and sponsor someone as an insider.
Thank you for the pointers. I’ve been currently playing around with some google ads. I saw the “low Range” for “pressure washing Greenville” was $3 per click, to get on top there would I have to bid the low range or more towards the high range?

Also, where did you find the data on those searches? Like people who typed in pressure washing were looking to rent a machine rather than a service?

thanks!

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I would avoid that phrase. Only 30 searches and other phrases are way cheaper. You can get one $3.00 click or 5 $.60 clicks. Obviously more is better. If you have a limited budget, add that phrase in last.

I just did actual Google searches in Greenville and surrounding areas and looked if the results were directories or home Depot pages selling washers.

To be honest I have more reasons why I advised you the way I did, but it's late and I'm already wordy... . Good luck.

Pritesh

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
300%
Feb 18, 2020
Ranking local SEO, is just about writing niche relevant content better and more frequently than your competitor, there is no "secret formula" behind it.
Just plain old making sure your content loads fast and is optimized for SEO.

Anyone telling you otherwise is just trying to upsell you their SEO services.

CareCPA

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
356%
May 2, 2017
Pennsylvania
Thank you for the pointers. I’ve been currently playing around with some google ads. I saw the “low Range” for “pressure washing Greenville” was $3 per click, to get on top there would I have to bid the low range or more towards the high range?

Also, where did you find the data on those searches? Like people who typed in pressure washing were looking to rent a machine rather than a service?

thanks!
I'm not sure you understood @BizyDad's post.
He literally gave you half a dozen ways to reach people now. Why waste your time with Google Ads (which was mentioned as a side-comment in his post)? This is likely the least bang-for-your-buck.

Thumbtack, Angie's list, etc already have people searching for your exact service. Be where the search volume is.

I would print out his post, use it as a checklist, and go down the list one by one.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
thanks!
A professional just provided you a full assessment and guidance that normally costs $xxxx ......... are you sweeping it under the rug? Pointers .... lol. He handed you a guide to 4X your business.

@BizyDad you are awesome! keep it rolling. there are other starfish that will come here, read what you wrote, and be saved. @ChrisGav may not have what it takes.

BizyDad

FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
416%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
I'm not sure you understood @BizyDad's post.
He literally gave you half a dozen ways to reach people now. Why waste your time with Google Ads (which was mentioned as a side-comment in his post)? This is likely the least bang-for-your-buck.

Thumbtack, Angie's list, etc already have people searching for your exact service. Be where the search volume is.

I would print out his post, use it as a checklist, and go down the list one by one.

A professional just provided you a full assessment and guidance that normally costs $xxxx ......... are you sweeping it under the rug? Pointers .... lol. He handed you a guide to 4X your business.

@BizyDad you are awesome! keep it rolling. there are other starfish that will come here, read what you wrote, and be saved. @ChrisGav may not have what it takes.

I appreciate the comments guys. I hope he listens.

But actually...

What I did was give him a step by step roadmap to doing his own SEO. And in this roadmap every step has the ability to also generate business.

That's how small local businesses have to play this game to win. Maximum impact. Focus on activities that make you money and raise rankings.

Adwords is a part of the process. And you're right that it probably has the least bang for his buck, but there is bang for the buck there. He shouldn't ignore it, and he shouldn't pay someone else to do it. So learn it.

He'll want to do it because he wants something to do late at night to help his business, and doing Adwords will help his business more than "doing SEO".

So why didn't I want him or anyone to think he was doing SEO?

Because I didn't want the debate.

Because I don't want to explain how adwords will indirectly help his SEO but not someone else's, especially when Google says running ads won't directly help rankings.

Because sometimes your best SEO asset is being a little patient. Too many people shoot themselves in the foot by trying too hard at SEO.

Because as soon as you say SEO, people give so much bad SEO advice, like "post frequently". Ugh. Business owners think they have to do that crap because it sounds good and they'll research it and there are blog posts that will back up that misplaced advice.

That's the kind of activity I don't want the poor guy doing late at night. He's not running a news organization where post frequency actually matters. He's way more likely to hurt his rankings taking that advice.

I want him making money. This way he'll make money and raise his rankings. It is just plain smart to do both.

And just so we're all clear. This is a strategy tailored to the OP's business and location. I researched before I gave advice. I looked at the serps in his town. Even assessed his competition.

These tips might help you, but for example, not everyone should post on thumbtack. This isn't "one size fits all".

So there you have it, BizyDad's "secret formula" to SEO, hiding in plain sight. All it costs is a future forum membership.

Anyone who didn't recognize it as SEO advice probably isn't someone you want to take SEO advice from.

And Chris, feel free to reach out again after you hit those goals I laid out. But also, read this post and follow the advice.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019

I'm not sweeping it under the rug. I was just asking questions to better understand the adwords, as the other tips seemed straight forward. Just learning all I can, that is all.

ChrisGav

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Feb 15, 2019
I appreciate the comments guys. I hope he listens.

But actually...

What I did was give him a step by step roadmap to doing his own SEO. And in this roadmap every step has the ability to also generate business.

That's how small local businesses have to play this game to win. Maximum impact. Focus on activities that make you money and raise rankings.

Adwords is a part of the process. And you're right that it probably has the least bang for his buck, but there is bang for the buck there. He shouldn't ignore it, and he shouldn't pay someone else to do it. So learn it.

He'll want to do it because he wants something to do late at night to help his business, and doing Adwords will help his business more than "doing SEO".

So why didn't I want him or anyone to think he was doing SEO?

Because I didn't want the debate.

Because I don't want to explain how adwords will indirectly help his SEO but not someone else's, especially when Google says running ads won't directly help rankings.

Because sometimes your best SEO asset is being a little patient. Too many people shoot themselves in the foot by trying too hard at SEO.

Because as soon as you say SEO, people give so much bad SEO advice, like "post frequently". Ugh. Business owners think they have to do that crap because it sounds good and they'll research it and there are blog posts that will back up that misplaced advice.

That's the kind of activity I don't want the poor guy doing late at night. He's not running a news organization where post frequency actually matters. He's way more likely to hurt his rankings taking that advice.

I want him making money. This way he'll make money and raise his rankings. It is just plain smart to do both.

And just so we're all clear. This is a strategy tailored to the OP's business and location. I researched before I gave advice. I looked at the serps in his town. Even assessed his competition.

These tips might help you, but for example, not everyone should post on thumbtack. This isn't "one size fits all".

So there you have it, BizyDad's "secret formula" to SEO, hiding in plain sight. All it costs is a future forum membership.

Anyone who didn't recognize it as SEO advice probably isn't someone you want to take SEO advice from.

And Chris, feel free to reach out again after you hit those goals I laid out. But also, read this post and follow the advice.

Thank you for your advice! I will begin executing on the ideas now.
I've heard mixed feelings about the homeadvisors / thumbtack sort of thing. Haven't heard anything about angies list / yelp. Will give it all a shot and let you know how it works out.
Thank you

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.