The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Focusing on the money vs. the idea

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
True... But doesn't a person need a plan B, in case plan A doesn't work out? What if I don't get a successful business, and stand there 7 years later with no income and no career?

7 years later you will be amazed at what skills you have acquired by starting a business. I will bet that you won't have any problem finding a job if you had to.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
OP is correct in saying that picking something you'd really like to see realised in real life is much more fun then going for the money alone. It's called your WHY and for some of us it's the only thing that'll motivate us.

One thing that "gave" OP "away" is:

"I will not have progressed my career..."

Life-long employees talk like that. There's no such thing as "career". Many people have died unfulfilled and regretful because they were building and maintaining their "career" their entire life instead of doing what they wanted.

BeingChewsie

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Aug 27, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
What if I don't get a successful business, and stand there 7 years later with no income and no career?

What if the company you work for folds or moves overseas in 7 years and you can't find another job? or you find another job and in 10 years that company folds? Depending on a job for security in the world we live in now is like playing Russian Roulette.

You are holding on to a security blanket that doesn't actually exist. The only security that exists is the security you create for yourself. That will never be found by working for someone else.

Sue

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
There is a reason people choose to work for someone else. That reason is that some people feel more secure with their hand held. I need employees so it doesnt bother me.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

911Carrera

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Aug 1, 2011
Job and Security don't belong in the same sentence. If you get to the point where you're an corporate executive then you're guaranteed a fat severance if you're canned otherwise you're on your own. I work in for a company that has been taken over 4 times in 4 different mergers over the past 5 years and I've seen high level VPs who thought they ran shit getting run out of town within days of the merger so there you have it. The only security is owning your own profitable business.

Darkside

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
18%
Jul 4, 2010
San Diego
Job and Security don't belong in the same sentence. If you get to the point where you're an corporate executive then you're guaranteed a fat severance if you're canned otherwise you're on your own. I work in for a company that has been taken over 4 times in 4 different mergers over the past 5 years and I've seen high level VPs who thought they ran shit getting run out of town within days of the merger so there you have it. The only security is owning your own profitable business.

Exactly! And, when you own your own business you can see when things start to go wrong before anyone else which enables you to plan ahead. If you're an employee and the company that you work for is having financial issues, you won't know about it until they start firing people, which is a much more insecure situation.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
61%
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
So basically, instead of thinking "I want to earn X amount of money - is choice A or choice B going to lead me there?", it is better to pick a specific idea that you want to realize, and think: "How can I organize my life (realistically) to best achieve this idea?"

I feel that this realization has been a strong shift in my thinking. I have several ideas in my head, and I should simply pick one that I believe in, and organize my life around realizing it. If it fails, it fails and then I can pick another idea that I am excited in. But focusing on (and getting excited about) specific projects seems like a more productive way to spend your energy, than to focus on a generic goal like "I want to earn X amount of money" which doesn't naturally lead to any specific action.

I'd say your realization is a step in the right direction, but you've got one more step left.

Focus on creating wealth in you! You get wealthy when you have the habits, thought patterns and actions of a wealthy person. What happens when a wealthy person loses all their money, like Trump? ... they just re-create it again, because they have all the tools already inside them.

So in this way it doesn't matter at all whether you are in a job or building your own business, the point is are you growing your skill set, and capabilities towards being financially powerful and free?

Work on you, choose directions based on your goal, don't make money the goal, because it really isn't. The goal is to focus 100% on the process of you being a wealthy person, then there is no way you can fail.

Every choice you make then becomes, either this step is helping me BE a wealthy person, with the skills of creating wealth, or this step is helping me become a better couch potato... those really are the only two choices in every decision you make regarding work or business.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
If I were just chasing money like a lot of my peers think im doing I would have accepted a 6 figure job offer in leiu of the 30k im making now. But there is no way in hell i would sell out to someone elses fastlane.

The difference is that 30k is residuals and id have to work 9-5 for the job. I left my time open to chase more clients and eventually pass up those figures with passive income.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.