The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

(First Post) How to start a business with no experience?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

mclachlan.m

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Apr 18, 2014
UK
I'd like to start by saying that I can't think of anything else since reading TMF ; I can now see things that I was blind to before and it has changed my view on life.

I've had a couple of ideas of what I'd like to do, where I think I can see a possibility of an opening in the market and I honestly don't know if my ideas are good, bad, workable or complete rubbish. I'm hoping that perhaps you friendly people could guide me towards TFL.

I'm currently an aeronautical engineer in the UK military; due to leave in 8 weeks having served for 6 years. I was planning to leave and work in the oil & gas industry as it's well-known to pay well, along with getting generous time off at home. Then I heard about TFL and have been thinking "crazy" thoughts that had never been in my head before - starting a company, what I can see around me that I'd like (and therefore, maybe others would like... and how to implement them) and most importantly how to get my share of the money that is out there so I can be free to live my life without the knowledge that I'm working so someone else can enjoy their freedom.

I have absolutely no experience of business, I don't have any friends who do it either. My most successful friend works in the oil & gas industry, hence why I wished to leave the military for oil & gas to get get my share. So, some parts of what has been explained I didn't fully grasp. I'm going to re-read TFL though and hopefully pick up more this time around.

Now, one of the ideas I've had is basically to start a website where people can look at menu's of types of dishes and offer them to buy not just the dish recipe but also the ingredients. So, you want a main meal - pictures of the dish available, you buy it via a shopping cart and the ingredients are delivered to your home from a supermarket alongside the recipe being sent via email.

My idea was that rather than having to go buy the ingredients yourself, you could simply decide I want "lamb whatever", you click buy and you receive what you wanted, only to be cooked. I imagined it sort of a flat-pack meals, where you receive your furniture but need to assemble it, only with your food.

As mentioned, I have absolutely no business acumen and wondering whether anyone could see any glaringly obvious short-falls in my idea from the outset? I have looked around at domain names but at the moment everything is just an idea in my head - which leads to other ideas sprouting off of them. I realise that everyone would be millionaires if all they had to do was think of a good idea and it's the work putting the idea into fruition that pays, not the idea itself. I am willing to take the bull by the horns, I just can't seem to find my shoes before stepping into the arena.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andur

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Mar 4, 2014
San Francisco
Hey! Welcome! Plenty of newbies (myself included) that have limited or no experience either. This is a great place to be...tons of great content and helpful people.

I know there are a couple of business out there that are currently packing meals with all the ingredients already measured out and included...Blue Apron springs to mind because I'm seeing it plastered all over Facebook at the moment. Might be worth exploring what is out there and what you can do to be potentially do it better than them, or more uniquely perhaps.

Zulu

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
132%
Mar 14, 2013
Kingston - DC - Everywhere in Between
Hey Dude,

Don't worry about not having any business experience. Take the time to read ALL the posts of the following members and you should be in a much better place: zen*******, JackEdwards, SnowBank, Biophase. There are other members who would be equally as useful but I've only read from the people I've listed. Other people you could check out are: MJ, Vigilante, SteveO and probably all of the mods.

Seriously, read those posts and you'll jump forward in terms of knowing/having an idea of what you need to do.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.