The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Topics relating to managing people and relationships

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Hey! I'm trying to find QUALITY STAFF!

I've dealt with not so great staff - poor communication, poor quality of work, poor on-time response, poor A LOT. Don't get me wrong - their results were good, but the work ethic was poor and they were around £5K per month people. I understand that people aren't connected to their work. There isn't a personal attachment, so I wrote down that I would heavily consider that staff having INTEREST AND LOVE towards that work. Except for sales people - we love money!!!

I know looking at a certain website won't help me find the best. Maybe certified people - but not the BEST!

However, for those who have experience - whether it's awful or great. What would you prioritise to find in your staff and how?

For those who read the book "Think and Grow rich" - what makes the MOST POWERFUL MASTER MIND GROUP - do you have that? If not, why not?

Let me know.

Peace be upon you all.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

The One

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
110%
Feb 25, 2023
UK
Hey! I'm trying to find QUALITY STAFF!

I've dealt with not so great staff - poor communication, poor quality of work, poor on-time response, poor A LOT. Don't get me wrong - their results were good, but the work ethic was poor and they were around £5K per month people. I understand that people aren't connected to their work. There isn't a personal attachment, so I wrote down that I would heavily consider that staff having INTEREST AND LOVE towards that work. Except for sales people - we love money!!!

I know looking at a certain website won't help me find the best. Maybe certified people - but not the BEST!

However, for those who have experience - whether it's awful or great. What would you prioritise to find in your staff and how?

For those who read the book "Think and Grow rich" - what makes the MOST POWERFUL MASTER MIND GROUP - do you have that? If not, why not?

Let me know.

Peace be upon you all.
Imma bump this up!

xShepherdx

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
354%
Apr 11, 2022
Idaho
I've dealt with not so great staff - poor communication, poor quality of work, poor on-time response, poor A LOT. Don't get me wrong - their results were good, but the work ethic was poor and they were around £5K per month people.

I mean this in the kindest way possible, but most of this sounds like a systems issue - which means a YOU issue.

Which is good because that means YOU can fix it :smile:

Did you build communication channels that make it SUPER easy for them to communicate with you? Or lay out exactly what you wanted communicated and when?

As for poor quality work, it sounds like you may not have put the effort into vetting them properly with the right questions, dummy tasks, scenarios, etc.

Most people WANT to do great work. They just need to be placed in an environment that not only allows them to do great work, but makes it super duper easy.

I understand that people aren't connected to their work. There isn't a personal attachment, so I wrote down that I would heavily consider that staff having INTEREST AND LOVE towards that work.

Can you show them how their work contributes to the bigger picture and helps your customers/clients achieve their goals?

Or how their work is actually making the world a better place? How they're contributing to the bigger picture?

As the founder/owner/leader, it's your job to help them build that personal attachment. Always remember that!

Except for sales people - we love money!!!

Money is a crummy motivator - even for sales people.

Also, sales PEOPLE are still people. The payment structure is different but all the same emotions, wants, and desires are still there...

So your sales people should also clearly see how their efforts tie into the big picture. How does your product/service improve people's lives?

Get your sales people to understand that and how them selling people on your thing is actually them creating a positive change in the world.

I've found some good people on Upwork using the following strategy:

1)
Search on Upwork/whatever site you choose.

2) Create a GREAT job listing that is super specific to your job. ChatGPT can help you refine this.

3) Ask them relevant screening questions. If they don't answer or give poor answers they're immediately disqualified.

4) Pay attention to HOW people respond to your job post - that's more telling than WHAT they say.

- Do they immediately start presenting solutions to your problem? Or are they just checking boxes en masse trying to get a ton of jobs?

- Do you mesh well with their communication style? Do they clearly understand you? Can they restate your problem in their own words? What about

5) Do they clearly understand the job you need completed? Have they done things like that before How did it go for them?

6) How do they typically work? What kind of communication can you expect? Daily updates? Do they only work at night? When will they start? (These things will set the expectation for both of you!)

I would sprinkle these questions in as you vet them - aka have a normal conversation with them like a normal human. Sending them everything all at once would send even the most desperate candidate running.

Once you've got a shortlist going, give the shortlisted candidates some tiny tasks/scenarios or start asking additional questions that are very specific and relevant to your job posting.

Review the answers, do whatever else you need to do to validate the candidates and pick the one you think is best.

Once you hire them, it's up to YOU to check in and make sure they're sticking to what they said they'd do.

It also helps to let them know that:
  • You're there to support them and make their job as easy/straightforward as possible. (You want results, they want an easy paycheck. Build a system that makes this a reality)

• If there's something dumb in your system that is adding friction to their workflow you WANT to know about it so you can fix it. (Again, you want results and have already agreed to a price. Maybe you can negotiate later if the hours change like crazy but the deal should already be good for you for obvious reasons.)

• If they have questions or want to run things by you that you are HAPPY to hear from them. My contractors have had GREAT ideas on how I could improve things because of this. You want them to feel (and be) heard. They're part of your team and a critical part of delivering results to your clients/customers and are helping make the world a better place.
Set a calendar reminder to follow up with them on some set frequency. Check in with them, ask how things are going, what can be improved, etc.

By ASKING them these types of questions, you're getting their brain to work for you. You can TELL them things afterward when they're unable to come up with an answer of their own or need help.

This will also give them some ownership of the work they do. That will help them build the personal connection to your business that you're hoping to get.

Lastly, be sure to ask some personal questions every once in a while. How is their day going? Anything fun planned for the weekend? How's the weather where they're at this time of year?

This kind of small talk helps transition you from being just another pain in the butt client...

To being "@The One, that guy from the UK that is way into underwater basket-weaving. Remember? He's the one asked about ramadan and what that was like. I helped him redesign his website so that his company could help people in both the UK and EU. Pretty cool right?"

Therapists (the ultimate manipulators and sales people) have two main classifications of relationships: Transactional and Relational.

it's a foreign concept to most, so here's a definition from Google:

Relational connections are rooted, reciprocal, and naturally rewarding. Transactional connections are temporary, self-serving, and taxing on the mind, body, and spirit.

It sounds like you're approaching your business relationship with contractors/employees as transactional and expecting them to approach it as relational. Hence the frustration.

This was a huge brain dump that I wrote off the cuff so I'm curious to hear your main takeaways.

What will you do differently the next time you hire someone? And what will you do differently with your current workers? How are you going to fix your systems?

How can you rework your current systems to make the things you want? Which to flip your wording would be...

"poor GREAT communication, poor GREAT quality of work, poor GREAT on-time response, poor GREAT A LOT".

The same things that your employees/contractors need...
  • Ownership
  • To be heard
  • To clearly see how their participation is helping others
  • That the mastermind is built on relational relationships
  • Clear expectations for communication, attendance, behavior, etc.
  • Some amount of regular small talk / sharing of personal experiences outside of work/the mastermind
  • The belief that they can come to you with their ideas/problems and you will be HAPPY to help them and bring their ideas to life (if they're good/relevant ofc)
  • That they're contributing to something awesome and worthwhile
I could go on, but I'd just be repeating myself.

Again, this is just my process - hire enough people and you'll find what works best for you.

I'm sure others here have their own processes, maybe they'll be kind enough to chime in.

Hope this answers your question. Remember to share your main takeaways and what you'll do differently moving forward!

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
Once they are in the building,
1. Were you clear?
2. Did you give them the tools / training / processes / support to be successful?
3. Are they in the right seat?

In hiring, build out your hiring process to find the people that fit your culture to be successful.
Check out this video from Leila
View: https://youtu.be/QDs1fI9zsRA?si=6QNcOD5HTqLXK1tA

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
When I first started hiring, I quickly realized a lot of the issues that I had with people actually stemmed from my poor leadership.

Don't get me wrong - their results were good

Isn't this the only thing that should matter? The results are good, but your expectations are even higher.

The results are good, so you probably have quality staff. You just want perfect staff.

So if the results are good, then it seems like you are nitpicking them the way I did when I was a poor leader.

I could be wrong, but that's the first place I'd look.

Beyond that, build into your processes rewards for the things you want to see. And not just the kinds of rewards that you want. The kinds of the rewards they want.

One of my writers really wants to be allowed to go to the hookah bar for a couple of hours a couple of times a week. So I told him if he hits his numbers, he can go write at the hookah bar.

His first few months with me, he was struggling to hit his numbers. But he showed good effort in other ways, so at one point I surprised him and told him he could start going to the hookah bar.

His numbers started coming through shortly thereafter.

This was back when he first started. He's been with me almost 6 years now.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.