The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fell into the Video Game Trap

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Confession: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is awesome. It's addicting, rewarding, the graphics are amazing, and I could play it all day.
starwarsbf2.png

I had to uninstall it today. I was still getting good work done, but I would say I was 50% efficient with this game installed on my PC.
If you buy cake from the grocery store you are going to eat it. Don't tempt yourself.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Good for you for realizing you have a problem and solving it.

Although I will say that @Eskil and I quite enjoy the odd game of Battlefield 1.

Nothing wrong with video games - provided you play them and they don't play you.

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
Good for you for realizing you have a problem and solving it.

Although I will say that @Eskil and I quite enjoy the odd game of Battlefield 1.

Nothing wrong with video games - provided you play them and they don't play you.
I realized that I played it more than usual lately because I have a challenging task to do. The thing you are scared of doing the most is what needs to be done NOW.

Eskil

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
418%
Jul 18, 2012
Scottsdale, AZ
It's addicting, rewarding, the graphics are amazing, and I could play it all day.

If you think that game is amazing, you need to try Battlefield 1. Even better graphics too IMO.

And by the way, the wrong approach to video games is using it as to cope with avoidance.

Video games be incredibly fun, a great stress reliever, and a good way to recharge your mental batteries - but they should be used only to reward yourself in the evening or on a weekend after you have worked hard to accomplish a lot in your business.

I play a few hours every week, but only after ALL else I need done has been accomplished, and only on evenings / weekends.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
never got it cause of the whole lootbox controversy....

but i am semi hooked on PUBG battlegrounds game. I never see any friends nowadays and its a pretty good hangout game to voice chat while playing a long 20+ minute round.

I do gotta cut myself off at an hour or 1.5 hours... cause otherwise ill be playing this shit for 5-6 hours straight lol

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
I am addicted to the Star Wars Nights of the Old Republic which is a 15 year old game the was ported to phones lol. It keeps track of time spent and I have 75 hours in that game, had to delete

Choate

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
243%
Mar 25, 2014
Boston
February 2016 - went to the Fastlane summit and was climbed Camelback Mountain with a fellow member (highly recommend it to anyone going this year). Had a conversation about habits, spoke up about my xbox and how i was thinking about selling it. he said thinking? that's not the kind of words you use when you want to take action (roughly said something about that).

He was right. It wasn't until Summer of 2016 that I finally gave in, and I took my xbox out to the back yard and took a literal sledge hammer to it after it was keeping me up all night. I also had a problem with League of Legends. My laptop fell victim to the same sledge hammer, and I replaced it with a Chromebook which is not game compatible.

2 months later bought a new Xbox fell into the trap again. I sold it by the end of the year. Was console free for all of 2017 after that. But I still played card games on my phone which carried over from my PC - such as Hearthstone. Got rid of my entire collection and ditched it. Have been game free for all of 2018.

As someone who started off with a Playstation on my 6th birthday, I am telling you that you have to just ditch the console. Sell it. Or take a sledge hammer to it and make a point to yourself. Every time you play you are reinforcing reward circuits and neural pathways that will take away from your fast lane goals.

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
I am addicted to the Star Wars Nights of the Old Republic which is a 15 year old game the was ported to phones lol. It keeps track of time spent and I have 75 hours in that game, had to delete
dam bro that game was amazing, one of best of all time.
Hope u beat it once at least for the story

Evil_Jester

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
192%
May 25, 2015
Dallas, TX
...Every time you play you are reinforcing reward circuits and neural pathways that will take away from your fast lane goals.
It seems like the fastlane route is best taken by learning what not to do, instead of what to do. If you tell me exactly how to start a business, it won't matter. I have to finish getting all the guns in the video game first lol. But if you tell me what not to do (things to avoid) the only thing on my mind will be business

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
dam bro that game was amazing, one of best of all time.
Originally played on PC but my game save got corrupted about 60% complete :(, The game on my phone I am at the Star Forge I played as dark as possible on this run trying to be the most untrustworthy backstabbing a**hole to everyone lol

Trevor Kuntz

Professional Dog Owner
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Feb 5, 2012
Arizona
I’ve found that forming a balance that works for you is better than complete abstinence. The longest I’ve ever gone without playing was six months, but that led to a serious two month binge. Here are some tips that have worked for me:

1. Find which games bring the most contentment with the least commitment. Like Eskil, I find Battlefield 1 to be an amazing game, but my beef with it is that I could easily play 1.5 hours and only go through 2-3 rounds. Same with Battlefront, Skyrim, Total War (I literally have 1000 hours in combined Total War on Steam). For me, the game that best fits is World of Tanks because each round is 15 min or less (average 7 minutes) and I can get my “fix” in 30 minutes or less.

2. If you love certain game soundtracks, listening to those while working can “scratch” your “itch.” I love listening to the Skyrim, Battlefield 1, and Medal of Honor Frontline soundtracks while working simply because they are great soundtracks and put me in a positive mood.

3. Try to limit your gaming to your least productive times of the day. I am most productive in the morning and least productive right before bed, so I play 30 minutes every night up until 30 minutes before I plan to fall asleep.

These tips might not work for everyone, but they have helped me find balance in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn
Originally played on PC but my game save got corrupted about 60% complete :(, The game on my phone I am at the Star Forge I played as dark as possible on this run trying to be the most untrustworthy backstabbing a**hole to everyone lol

star forge is the very end, less than 1 hour of game left. lol if u deleted might as well see ending on youtube or something.

dark side eh... killed the wookie didn't ya.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
For those who don't want to abstain from games (#nogame), how bout going YouTube to watch the gameplay videos of the game instead (the ones where they walkthrough from start to end)? It's not exactly the same as playing the game but it consumes much less time and will quell your lust for gaming.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
For those who don't want to abstain from games (#nogame), how bout going YouTube to watch the gameplay videos of the game instead (the ones where they walkthrough from start to end)? It's not exactly the same as playing the game but it consumes much less time and will quell your lust for gaming.
I do that!

I even learn some great tips on winning the games lol. :rofl::rofl::rofl: And tips on marketing games as well.

The walkthroughs give great exposure to newbie gamers, and some Youtubers hype things up with a live chat or giveaway. Pretty insane marketing. I wonder how they can translate into my biz.

Saves a lot of money too. No need to buy games. But it still gives the risk of action faking lol.

These days, though, I prefer listening to Piano Guys or London Real interviews. On the latter, there was a good one on Oren Klaff's Pitch Anything.

jon2089

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Feb 11, 2017
US
dark side eh... killed the wookie didn't ya.
He is a prisoner back at his planet lol. I still have the game saves so i didn't lose it

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri
Confession: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is awesome. It's addicting, rewarding, the graphics are amazing, and I could play it all day.
I had to uninstall it today. I was still getting good work done, but I would say I was 50% efficient with this game installed on my PC.
If you buy cake from the grocery store you are going to eat it. Don't tempt yourself.

I'm so glad my video game days are over. At 47 I lost the itch years ago when Civilization III was a top game. That kept me up at night. Today's games are so much more advanced I can see how they would be addicting and mezmerizing.

Now I'm addicted to working on my biz and this forum. I guess we all have something.

Longinus

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
441%
Aug 28, 2014
Poland / Belgium

I hate to spend energy by learning to be good in a game, as a result I rarely play games (with the exception of games I learned when I was young, like CoD or Total War: old games haha). This is a good alternative, but gets boring quickly.

Saw some posts here about Battlefield 1 and was triggered by the WWI aspect. But I just don't have the courage to set everything up and feeling bored after playing 30 minutes.

MoreVolume

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Oct 6, 2016
NC
Video games mean different things to different people
Some really get a thrill from the competition, strategy, etc.
Others use it for an escape.

When things started really rolling with my business, I really lost interest in playing games. I realized that for me, I had been using games as an escape.

Murking a bunch of people in a GTA Online session or destroying someone in FIFA is fun as hell, and gave me a sense of accomplishment ( :( ). But that feeling is nothing compared to the feeling of making money around the clock.

I had a list full of consoles, games and accessories that I was going to purchase when I "made it". I purchased everything in December and I haven't touched anything since they've arrived in the mail. I just have no desire to play anymore.

Scot

Salad Dressing Empire
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
472%
Jul 10, 2016
Florida
I picked up a new game recently, Elite Dangerous. Beautiful space sim.

I use it to Destress after the day job. Put in about an hour, then put the controller down and get to work.

I still managed to get everything done for my launch. So, it’s all about time management IMO.

Van Halen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Mar 3, 2017
United Kingdom
The best thing I ever bought was a mac mini,

Can't play anything on it. It also doesn't have those disgusting loud fans. Ew

When you're playing video games, you're ultimately just sitting there vegetating.

You may aswell be sitting there staring at a wall for 3 hours, it would probably be more productive.

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
...you're playing video games, you're ultimately just sitting there vegetating.

You may aswell be sitting there staring at a wall for 3 hours, it would probably be more productive.

The problem with games is that they give a false sense of accomplishment and achievement. When you slaughter monsters and save an entire village, won the heart of the girl, conjure up cooking recipes to heal your team and amassed 490,461 coins in the game, it makes you feel super empowered and successful, until you put down the controller and step out the door into the sun, and realize you're still at the same spot, probably worse off than you were before you began playing.

If I had not spent $$$ on games, DLCs and consoles back then, I could have more money now for inventory.

Able to connect a tight combo into shinkuu hadouken does nothing for me in real life lol

luniac

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
158%
Dec 7, 2012
brooklyn

JM35

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
176%
Jul 13, 2013
Denver
How would you go about getting your friends/business partners to play less video games? I run my site with my brother and he's logged over 250 days (6,000+ hours) of playing time on Runescape...its sad. Trying to get him as excited about online business as he is about online gaming but its a tough shot. If he would have put half of those hours into learning and online ventures, no doubt he'd be killing it.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
This is what made me interested in speedrunning. Instead of playing the game for hours I watch a 20 minute speedrun.

Now this kind of videos gives me ideas for future ventures and insights of how to be a better developer.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.