• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

FORUM SEARCH

Get answers about starting a business from real entrepreneurs. Powered by Google.

Fell into the Video Game Trap

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Evil_Jester, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Evil_Jester

Evil_Jester Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,461
    Confession: Star Wars Battlefront 2 is awesome. It's addicting, rewarding, the graphics are amazing, and I could play it all day.
    [​IMG]

I had to uninstall it today. I was still getting good work done, but I would say I was 50% efficient with this game installed on my PC.
    If you buy cake from the grocery store you are going to eat it. Don't tempt yourself.

Mr.Brandtastic, Fox, Mikkel and 23 others like this.
  2. JAJT

JAJT Ha Ha! Business Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $64,307
    Good for you for realizing you have a problem and solving it.

Although I will say that @Eskil and I quite enjoy the odd game of Battlefield 1.

Nothing wrong with video games - provided you play them and they don't play you.

3. Evil_Jester

Evil_Jester Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,461
    I realized that I played it more than usual lately because I have a challenging task to do. The thing you are scared of doing the most is what needs to be done NOW.

Pilot35, Mikkel, Kingmaker and 3 others like this.
  4. Eskil

Eskil Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $45,410
    If you think that game is amazing, you need to try Battlefield 1. Even better graphics too IMO.

And by the way, the wrong approach to video games is using it as to cope with avoidance.

Video games be incredibly fun, a great stress reliever, and a good way to recharge your mental batteries - but they should be used only to reward yourself in the evening or on a weekend after you have worked hard to accomplish a lot in your business.

I play a few hours every week, but only after ALL else I need done has been accomplished, and only on evenings / weekends.

5. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,233
    never got it cause of the whole lootbox controversy....

but i am semi hooked on PUBG battlegrounds game. I never see any friends nowadays and its a pretty good hangout game to voice chat while playing a long 20+ minute round.

I do gotta cut myself off at an hour or 1.5 hours... cause otherwise ill be playing this sh*t for 5-6 hours straight lol

AgainstAllOdds likes this.
  6. MarkM

MarkM New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $47
    Just sold my last video card from mining crypto on eBay. I was going to build a gaming PC with it but realized I don't have time for that right now. Felt good to let it go and not get sucked back into gaming right now. Maybe some day on my yacht.

7. Trevor Kuntz

Trevor Kuntz Professional Dog Owner Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $60
    @Evil_Jester Are you abstaining from gaming completely?

8. Evil_Jester

Rep Bank:
    $2,461
    Yeah pretty much. Might play a Fifa game once or twice a week but that’s not addicting

9. jon2089

jon2089 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $350
    I am addicted to the Star Wars Nights of the Old Republic which is a 15 year old game the was ported to phones lol. It keeps track of time spent and I have 75 hours in that game, had to delete

Kingmaker likes this.
  10. Dark Water

Dark Water Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $576
    February 2016 - went to the Fastlane summit and was climbed Camelback Mountain with a fellow member (highly recommend it to anyone going this year). Had a conversation about habits, spoke up about my xbox and how i was thinking about selling it. he said thinking? that's not the kind of words you use when you want to take action (roughly said something about that).

He was right. It wasn't until Summer of 2016 that I finally gave in, and I took my xbox out to the back yard and took a literal sledge hammer to it after it was keeping me up all night. I also had a problem with League of Legends. My laptop fell victim to the same sledge hammer, and I replaced it with a Chromebook which is not game compatible.

2 months later bought a new Xbox fell into the trap again. I sold it by the end of the year. Was console free for all of 2017 after that. But I still played card games on my phone which carried over from my PC - such as Hearthstone. Got rid of my entire collection and ditched it. Have been game free for all of 2018.

As someone who started off with a Playstation on my 6th birthday, I am telling you that you have to just ditch the console. Sell it. Or take a sledge hammer to it and make a point to yourself. Every time you play you are reinforcing reward circuits and neural pathways that will take away from your fast lane goals.

11. luniac

luniac Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,233
    dam bro that game was amazing, one of best of all time.
    Hope u beat it once at least for the story

12. Evil_Jester

Rep Bank:
    $2,461
    It seems like the fastlane route is best taken by learning what not to do, instead of what to do. If you tell me exactly how to start a business, it won't matter. I have to finish getting all the guns in the video game first lol. But if you tell me what not to do (things to avoid) the only thing on my mind will be business

13. jon2089

jon2089 Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $350
    Originally played on PC but my game save got corrupted about 60% complete :(, The game on my phone I am at the Star Forge I played as dark as possible on this run trying to be the most untrustworthy backstabbing asshole to everyone lol

14. masaldana2

masaldana2 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,692
    bro, i love total war games.... build stuff and destroy

15. AgainstAllOdds

AgainstAllOdds Legendary Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $47,945
    Listen to audiobooks x2 while playing.

Change it from unproductive time to studying.

16. Trevor Kuntz

Trevor Kuntz Professional Dog Owner Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $60
    I’ve found that forming a balance that works for you is better than complete abstinence. The longest I’ve ever gone without playing was six months, but that led to a serious two month binge. Here are some tips that have worked for me:

1. Find which games bring the most contentment with the least commitment. Like Eskil, I find Battlefield 1 to be an amazing game, but my beef with it is that I could easily play 1.5 hours and only go through 2-3 rounds. Same with Battlefront, Skyrim, Total War (I literally have 1000 hours in combined Total War on Steam). For me, the game that best fits is World of Tanks because each round is 15 min or less (average 7 minutes) and I can get my “fix” in 30 minutes or less.

2. If you love certain game soundtracks, listening to those while working can “scratch” your “itch.” I love listening to the Skyrim, Battlefield 1, and Medal of Honor Frontline soundtracks while working simply because they are great soundtracks and put me in a positive mood.

3. Try to limit your gaming to your least productive times of the day. I am most productive in the morning and least productive right before bed, so I play 30 minutes every night up until 30 minutes before I plan to fall asleep.

These tips might not work for everyone, but they have helped me find balance in my life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $13,759
    Player Unknown's Battlegrounds is where it's at.

luniac likes this.
  18. luniac

Rep Bank:
    $9,233
    star forge is the very end, less than 1 hour of game left. lol if u deleted might as well see ending on youtube or something.

dark side eh... killed the wookie didn't ya.

jpanarra and jon2089 like this.
  19. Xeon

Xeon Nessuna macchina per me se non una Pagani Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,900
    For those who don't want to abstain from games (#nogame), how bout going YouTube to watch the gameplay videos of the game instead (the ones where they walkthrough from start to end)? It's not exactly the same as playing the game but it consumes much less time and will quell your lust for gaming.

Romeo D., masterneme, Argue and 2 others like this.
  20. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $6,080
    I do that!

I even learn some great tips on winning the games lol. :rofl::rofl::rofl: And tips on marketing games as well.

The walkthroughs give great exposure to newbie gamers, and some Youtubers hype things up with a live chat or giveaway. Pretty insane marketing. I wonder how they can translate into my biz.

Saves a lot of money too. No need to buy games. But it still gives the risk of action faking lol.

These days, though, I prefer listening to Piano Guys or London Real interviews. On the latter, there was a good one on Oren Klaff's Pitch Anything.

masterneme and Xeon like this.
  21. jon2089

Rep Bank:
    $350
    He is a prisoner back at his planet lol. I still have the game saves so i didn't lose it

22. RobD88

RobD88 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,535
    I'm so glad my video game days are over. At 47 I lost the itch years ago when Civilization III was a top game. That kept me up at night. Today's games are so much more advanced I can see how they would be addicting and mezmerizing.

Now I'm addicted to working on my biz and this forum. I guess we all have something.

23. Longinus

Longinus Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $10,156
    I hate to spend energy by learning to be good in a game, as a result I rarely play games (with the exception of games I learned when I was young, like CoD or Total War: old games haha). This is a good alternative, but gets boring quickly.

Saw some posts here about Battlefield 1 and was triggered by the WWI aspect. But I just don't have the courage to set everything up and feeling bored after playing 30 minutes.

ButGregSaid and Xeon like this.
  24. MoreVolume

MoreVolume Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,067
    Video games mean different things to different people
    Some really get a thrill from the competition, strategy, etc.
    Others use it for an escape.

When things started really rolling with my business, I really lost interest in playing games. I realized that for me, I had been using games as an escape.

Murking a bunch of people in a GTA Online session or destroying someone in FIFA is fun as hell, and gave me a sense of accomplishment ( :( ). But that feeling is nothing compared to the feeling of making money around the clock.

I had a list full of consoles, games and accessories that I was going to purchase when I "made it". I purchased everything in December and I haven't touched anything since they've arrived in the mail. I just have no desire to play anymore.

craig1928, ExaltedLife, PureA and 6 others like this.
  25. Scot

Scot Ductus Exemplo Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $42,048
    I picked up a new game recently, Elite Dangerous. Beautiful space sim.

I use it to Destress after the day job. Put in about an hour, then put the controller down and get to work.

I still managed to get everything done for my launch. So, it’s all about time management IMO.

jpanarra, Ninjakid, NFT and 2 others like this.