The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Feedback and Wisdom needed

Idea threads

elijahingrum

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 3, 2022
I have decided to build a parking app that tracks which parking spots are open and would allow you to reserve them for a small price. In case anyone is wondering, I did get this idea from an idea dump on this forum.

I am a homebody and when I do go out it is camping or to friends house. I am also only 19 and still living with my parents. So, I don’t have a lot of experience with struggling to find a parking space because I am rarely in need of one. For those who are going to the store or other places where you need parking, is this a need of yours? Would an app like this be useful? Just trying to get some feedback.

The second thing is, if I get good feedback, how do I get owners of parking lots to allow me to implement my system? What do you think would be the best way to market this to them?

Third and finally, where do I find an engineer to help me design some of the things I would need to implement this? Is there such things as freelance engineers? And once the designs are finished how do I get them to be mass produced?

I will give updates as I continue this process.

P.S. I am new to this forum so let me know if I am doing anything wrong.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Patryk.

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
173%
Apr 21, 2022
Poland
Don't look for energiner now

For me it could be useful (best in big overcrowded city) but I am only 0.00001% of the target market. Talk to the parking owners if it is possible to install some banners about your tool on parking entrances or on the parking slots (be where your market is - learn how to sale it - even if you fail at this you can gain a lot of experience and make a shell to rejections). Direct the banner viewers to website to measure traffic and interest ratio.
If the interest is high enough create a 'cheap' booking tool on the web.
Then you can test it by locking parking slot by yourself to minimize testing cost.
If the market love what you do then make a research for energiner.

Problems:
- if someone will stay on the slot after his ticket expired and I had booked that slot right after him what will the tool do?
- do the tool will need to destroy the tarmac (really bad) or paving (not that bad) on the parking to install the needed cables?
- you will need time and money for testing it - best way is to find freelance job and do that when you have some time on the parking

Execution is the key.

jb519443

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
167%
Jan 5, 2022
Good for you thinking about starting this.. I think i saw on Shark Tank a similar product that someone pitched - can't remember if they invested (youtube it)... Would think it would be tricky to determine empty spots - but sure its just an engineering problem to be solved...

elijahingrum

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
Aug 3, 2022
best in big overcrowded city
I live right next to St. Louis, so there I definitely have the market for it.
- if someone will stay on the slot after his ticket expired and I had booked that slot right after him what will the tool do?
This is probably the hardest question. I am thinking that there would be some kind of sign that shows when the parking spot is reserved for. In the beginning, the signs would be posted in person. As the business grows I would have digital signs that post future reserved times directly from the app. The real problem would be figuring out how to force random rude people out of the spot when they know that the spot is reserved but refuse to move. Definitely something I will have to figure out.
Would think it would be tricky to determine empty spots - but sure its just an engineering problem to be solved...
In college, I have done some classes with Lego Mindstorms robots. In those classes, I learned that there is a sensor that senses if there is something in front of it. You could use some of those sensors to sense if their is a car in a parking spot and send that info to the app.
Execution is the key.
Yes sir!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.