The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fed Up With Your Country? Where Is Left to Go?

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
So in theory can you apply for temporary residency each year for the next 4 years and then get permanent residency or do you need some proof of living there to get permanent residency?
Btw. Not sure how it looks like in that case but I know that it was possible to apply for permanent straightaway if you had something around 70-80k. Maybe it is still the case

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

srodrigo

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
Sep 11, 2018
This, plus tons of other issues I've had during my stay here make me pessimistic about the future of Spain, a country I used to like more in the past than now as I see all the clowns obediently and voluntarily wearing masks.
Son of clowns here. I'd appreciate a minimum respect for people to exercise their freedom to wear a mask, a hat or a cowboy dress. Specially since others' freedom restricts the freedom of people with certain medical conditions and much higher risk of dying if they get infected, like my dad.

You can disagree with people's choice of freedom without being a dick. I find that, the more people preach about freedom, the more judgemental they are and the less they respect actual freedom.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
So in theory can you apply for temporary residency each year for the next 4 years and then get permanent residency or do you need some proof of living there to get permanent residency?
Yes, but maybe at that point of getting PR you need to show proof you're living here. I'm not sure. I do know that the PR doesn't expire so you have visa free access to the country whenever you please.

GIlman

Still Gilman
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
604%
Oct 16, 2014

You can get a permanent residency without ever getting a temporary residency. But you have to do it from outside the country.

You schedule an appointment at a consulate, for instance in phoenix. If approved they will put a sticker on your passport.

Then you go to Mexico within the next 180 days, and you have to go to Mexico and get your permanent residency there. I’m in the process of this now and hopefully will have my PR by March.

masterneme

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Apr 13, 2015
Good question. I hadn't looked into the actual day count because I don't plan on living anywhere else during this process.

To correct myself, it's 4 years of of temporary residence then you can apply to be a permanent resident. After 5 years of provable legal residency you can apply for naturalization.

I can double check with my lawyer on the amount of days you need to spend in the country and let you know. One person on their blog is saying you can't have been out of the country for more than 180 days in the 2 years prior to your naturalization application.
I actually contacted the Mexican Government and confirm the 180 days rule. For naturalization you will also need to take 2 exams, one for Spanish language and another one for their history, culture and such. They give you some of the materials to study but it's a lot of content and you need 5/6 points for the language and 8/10 points for history to pass.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
So based on the popularity of this thread it's super clear that many people are extremely fed up with the state of the world and shrinking freedoms.

I was wondering... as entrepreneurs, what can we do to help solve these issues? How can we help people seeking a better place to live find it? How can we help entrepreneurs live where they're actually valued for their work instead of being demonized?

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Update: I'm still in Colombia, but left the capital, to a different department of the country.
And within that department I'm living in a small town of maybe 15,000 people, where a lot of foreigners and tourists are seen when out and about as well

It's about three and a half hours from the major city of Medellin.

While this past week the national "mandate" for vaccination was officially enforced, you wouldn't know it in places like where I am. In fact during my entire travel from the capital to here (which took about twenty hours, as I passed through several terminals and hopped on several buses) I "complied" with mask-wearing for maybe thirty seconds? Only when I was asked to enter one of the terminals.

The point is, sometimes the problem isn't the country, it's your perspective.

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 16, 2017
London
Mexico sounds really attractive. Not sure how feasible it would be with two children (5 and 8 years old). I'd love to hear if anyone has done this with kids. An international school would be a top priority for me.

Sirrom

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
365%
Dec 5, 2020
The Dutch government issued a new curfew.

Is there somewhere (preferably europe or closeby like georgia etc) where there is still relative freedom? It would be nice if it is fairly cheap to stay since i am in the beginning phase of my business.

I am not talking about facemasks and vaccinations but the freedom to go to a gym in the evening........

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

Is there somewhere (preferably europe or closeby like georgia etc) where there is still relative freedom? It would be nice if it is fairly cheap to stay since i am in the beginning phase of my business.

I am not talking about facemasks and vaccinations but the freedom to go to a gym in the evening........

Poland. Thankfully no covid passes, few restrictions, and people largely don't give a shit.

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 16, 2017
London

Here in England it is still relatively free, although who knows what is around the corner.

We don't have to wear facemasks anywhere (including indoors). Even when facemasks were mandatory, many people were wearing lanyards that exempted them on medical grounds. If you tell them you're exempt (like I always did), they can't do anything.

There are no vaccine passports YET. Will these come? It's 50/50 at the moment. However, there are vaccine passports in Scotland and Wales.

There is no lockdown at the moment and there are no plans for any lockdowns. Cases are really high, which in my opinion is good. This means the general population is catching C0V1D and are developing herd immunity.

To be honest, it's almost like pre-c0v1d here, bar the odd annoyance such as my children's clubs being cancelled and some people still choosing to wear masks.

However, we really don't know what is round the corner. That's the thing about moving to a place that seems relatively free: in this climate, that freedom can be gone in an instant and you have wasted time, money and effort for nothing.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Update: I'm still in Colombia, but left the capital, to a different department of the country.
And within that department I'm living in a small town of maybe 15,000 people, where a lot of foreigners and tourists are seen when out and about as well

It's about three and a half hours from the major city of Medellin.

While this past week the national "mandate" for vaccination was officially enforced, you wouldn't know it in places like where I am. In fact during my entire travel from the capital to here (which took about twenty hours, as I passed through several terminals and hopped on several buses) I "complied" with mask-wearing for maybe thirty seconds? Only when I was asked to enter one of the terminals.

The point is, sometimes the problem isn't the country, it's your perspective

Sounds like amazing place. One of my favorite cities is Manizales, have you been there. Id also love to check out Bucaramanga more as well.

Last edited:

Itizn

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Sep 25, 2019
Colombia
Sounds like amazing place. One of favorite cities is Manizales, have you been there. Id also love to check out Bucaramanga more as well.
Manizales is about four-ish hours from where I am. It's certainly worth a visit from what's been relayed to me. Ditto with Bucaramanga. This country is filled with beautiful places all over.

Unfortunately the bigger the city, the more "restricted" you can expect to be.

The lengthy bus rides were mostly a result of me being impromptu and effectively wasting time due to this. Also prefer to fly only when crossing int'l borders.

It was actually one ninety minute ride + ten hour ride + three hour wait at a terminal + four hour bus ride.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Manizales is about four-ish hours from where I am. It's certainly worth a visit from what's been relayed to me. Ditto with Bucaramanga. This country is filled with beautiful places all over.

Unfortunately the bigger the city, the more "restricted" you can expect to be.

The lengthy bus rides were mostly a result of me being impromptu and effectively wasting time due to this. Also prefer to fly only when crossing int'l borders.

It was actually one ninety minute ride + ten hour ride + three hour wait at a terminal + four hour bus ride.

That is the problem with Colombia, just so many beautiful places to pick from. Besides the 10 hour stint that does not sound bad. I never got used to Latin American bus services as had a motorcycle in the countries I stayed in, but riding chicken busses is always an experience all should go through.

Prince33

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
155%
Jun 9, 2020
Latvia
I lived in Mexico and even Tijuana was a upgrade from 85% of America. People actually walk around with smiles on their faces. No crazy cops, materialism rampant, crazy paranoia...

That said it is less "developed" things like street dogs and how unofficial everything felt took some adapting. But in a good way. Ubers hella cheap, fantastic food. Just better know some spanish to really get along and immerse.

Heading back by the end of the year/very start of next.
America was already going mad in 2019. Covid has pushed things so far Id rather live in a shady part of TJ than this place. Sick and tired of it. Literally the matrix.

Unless you live like MJ in Utah or something. And even then you're like living in a bubble within the matrix. Being here is taxing on my sanity and Im still in my mid-late 20s... Not to mention social life and companionship is horrific here now and has been since 2013. Gen Xers argue early 00s.

G

GuestUser4aMPs1

I was wondering... as entrepreneurs, what can we do to help solve these issues? How can we help people seeking a better place to live find it? How can we help entrepreneurs live where they're actually valued for their work instead of being demonized?
Not exactly related, but I'm opting for making the mandates cave "for fun and profit." PR isn't letting go of this nonsense, but the EO's can fall in a matter of weeks. Here's how...

The Executive Order in Puerto Rico doesn't make room for medical exemptions to wearing masks. If a business denies someone who can't wear one for medical reasons (like me) that act is super illegal under federal law, and the penalties are much harsher than those under the EO.

It's caused me significant distress and I've had enough; So after talking to a few public interest attorneys to iron out the case, I'll be forcing the issue with the largest companies here. Through cold calling large chains, I've been denied accommodation for simple things like not being able to enter a Starbucks or a CVS. But something like not being able to open a bank account or get a drivers license due to medical discrimination is extremely compelling in a courtroom.

Since the police aren't omnipresent, businesses are the only true enforcement vector. I don't even care about the money; I just want people to do the right thing. But so long as these F*ckers are happy with breaking the law, I'm happy to take their settlement checks out-of-court.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadpapi

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
84%
Mar 31, 2018
usa
I have this place secret but don’t mind to share it. Dahab egypt, yes I feel more safe, and free there than any place in the USA, Red Sea, very safe, bought partner on the beach there 6 years ago for 15k, and few white people retire there. It takes time to get used to live in egypt, but once you get it, it’s a heaven on earth, also a lot of real estate investments there, I bought apartment in high class area in egypt last year for 50k$, and this year it’s worth 80k$. It’s guarantee profit in egypt, as in Egyptian culture the husband must buy apartment to get married, a lot of developments there too, in new Cairo, and other places. Yes it’s a third world country, and there is a lot of poor people there, but once you know the country you can easily avoid these places, and honestly as American they treat you better there, I don’t know why, but they do, and the people there in general just kind, rich or poor. If you have the time to learn the culture there, and be patient. You will like it, and miss the noise, and the 24 hours open shops in Cairo etc.. Aisa also have some nice places, but I found egypt the cheapest , and the best to get a lot for your money.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
We are in Toluca México right now. About an hour outside of Mexico city. They are mask crazy, but it is completely free other than that. I only wear a mask when entering a grocery store or a hotel. I spend most of my time in local markets and restaurants and no one there cares. Taxis don't care either.

My mental wellbeing is so much better here. I used to dread leaving my house because of how it all is. I don't feel any of that here.

One thing that I won't ever get used to down here is just how dirty it is though. No garbage cans anywhere, and people don't give a shit where they throw their trash. The plumbing also horrible.

The beach area in Yucatan where we go next is significantly cleaner than where we are now.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
View: https://mobile.twitter.com/nayibbukele/status/1466527805152370692

This guy is still a politician you can't trust but it's funny to read his tweets, how he trolls the "free" Western countries and how he calls himself the CEO of El Salvador haha.

That's politicians for you. Talk about freedoms, yet have no problem also doing this:

In response to C0VlD-19, the president of El Salvador ordered tight measures of quarantine stating those as the road to keep people safe from the virus. These measures quickly turned into dreadful repression.​

A young man reported being shot twice in the legs by the police after being stopped. He had left home to buy some things he needed and get gas after just getting payed for his work.

A 48-year-old woman who works to protect human rights, was detained as she went out to get food and medication for her 3-year-old son. She was locked down in a contention centre for over a month without having been diagnosed with the virus and despite her heightened risk from suffering diabetes.

Police arrested a 17-year-old boy leaving his job in a sugar plantation. They beat him and took him to a police detention centre, where he was held with adults for almost three days, before being released without charges.

To date, more than 2,000 people have been arbitrarily detained for leaving their homes and placed in government contention centres. People living in poverty, working in the informal sector and returned migrants are more at risk of being affected by these repressive measures since many of them need to leave home to work or get food and medications. The government is following a dangerous path towards becoming a repressive state.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
If you were going to move to another country, how would you meet people before arriving there?

Consider your primary hobbies and see if there's anyone locally who can help you improve in them through personal coaching.

My standard strategy, even for traveling for just a week, is to hire a local surf coach, ideally the sole owner of their school (to get someone really invested in teaching and good customer experience; coaches under a big school are often under-qualified and don't care as much). Often after just a few sessions we're friends already and most surfers are pretty cool people.

Since I'm training freediving now as well, my another option is to look for freediving coaches. Already made one friend this way.

Another option for me personally would be hiring a krav maga coach or an MMA coach or someone like that. Again, not a group, but a private experience so you have plenty of time to develop a relationship.

Other than that, if I were going to a place where people from online communities to which I belong live there, I'd just ask and set up a meeting this way.

OMDA

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Dec 21, 2017
FL
Consider your primary hobbies and see if there's anyone locally who can help you improve in them through personal coaching.

My standard strategy, even for traveling for just a week, is to hire a local surf coach, ideally the sole owner of their school (to get someone really invested in teaching and good customer experience; coaches under a big school are often under-qualified and don't care as much). Often after just a few sessions we're friends already and most surfers are pretty cool people.

Yes! My selection of where to live in Europe, pre-2020, was driven by communities in a social hobby I have. I met tons of people this way and they also helped me some with their language. If that hobby didn't exist in a different place I would find an adjacent one.

Doing something like surfing with the locals seems like a great one too.

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 16, 2017
London
Here in England it is still relatively free, although who knows what is around the corner.

We don't have to wear facemasks anywhere (including indoors). Even when facemasks were mandatory, many people were wearing lanyards that exempted them on medical grounds. If you tell them you're exempt (like I always did), they can't do anything.

There are no vaccine passports YET. Will these come? It's 50/50 at the moment. However, there are vaccine passports in Scotland and Wales.

There is no lockdown at the moment and there are no plans for any lockdowns. Cases are really high, which in my opinion is good. This means the general population is catching C0V1D and are developing herd immunity.

To be honest, it's almost like pre-c0v1d here, bar the odd annoyance such as my children's clubs being cancelled and some people still choosing to wear masks.

However, we really don't know what is round the corner. That's the thing about moving to a place that seems relatively free: in this climate, that freedom can be gone in an instant and you have wasted time, money and effort for nothing.

Just to highlight how things can change in the blink of an eye, since my last post on November 27th which stated that we are still relatively 'free' here in the England:
  • masks have been made mandatory in indoor spaces
  • vAcc1ne passports at certain venues have been given the green light by the government in a vote last night
  • a vAcc1ne b00ster program has been introduced for all over 18s
  • in the near future, in order to qualify for a vAcc1ne passport you will have to have had a b00ster otherwise you will be classed as unvAcc1nated
  • vAcc1neS are set to be approved for children over the age of 5

The above is part of the government's Plan B. There is talk of having to move to Plan C if this doesn't 'work'. I can't wait to see what that looks like!

Tony100

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
189%
Oct 11, 2020
Just to highlight how things can change in the blink of an eye, since my last post on November 27th which stated that we are still relatively 'free' here in the England:
  • masks have been made mandatory in indoor spaces
  • vAcc1ne passports at certain venues have been given the green light by the government in a vote last night
  • a vAcc1ne b00ster program has been introduced for all over 18s
  • in the near future, in order to qualify for a vAcc1ne passport you will have to have had a b00ster otherwise you will be classed as unvAcc1nated
  • vAcc1neS are set to be approved for children over the age of 5

The above is part of the government's Plan B. There is talk of having to move to Plan C if this doesn't 'work'. I can't wait to see what that looks like!
Genuine question: What is the governments long term plan to end all restrictions? Like at what point do they think this will all end?

Are we going to lockdown every time there's a new variant?

In the summer they insisted the lockdown easing would be 'irreversible'. This was because of the vaccines. But now most people have had the vaccine and the restrictions are coming back step by step. So what's the way out now?
in the near future, in order to qualify for a vAcc1ne passport you will have to have had a b00ster otherwise you will be classed as unvAcc1nated
I think they will remove the 'negative lateral flow test' option too. Then expand the passport to smaller venues.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
My brother works at a northern oilsands camp and you must be 100% vaxxed in order to work there. So that area is 100% vaxxed. Everything is still shut down. No group kitchens, no gyms, no media or games room. It is the exact same as it was prior to having a vaccine. So what good is it?

People were sold a bill of goods that was a complete lie, and everyone just goes along with it.

I am in Mexico now. I was in a smaller town outside of Mexico city where no one cared which was nice. Now I am in the Yucatan Peninsula and people are mask crazy here. It is still significantly better than Canada, but it is irritating. In the grocery stores here they want to slather my not-even-two year old child in freaking hand sanitizer. Leave him alone for F*cks sake!

anthonyseoul

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Apr 16, 2017
London
Genuine question: What is the governments long term plan to end all restrictions? Like at what point do they think this will all end?

Are we going to lockdown every time there's a new variant?

In the summer they insisted the lockdown easing would be 'irreversible'. This was because of the vaccines. But now most people have had the vaccine and the restrictions are coming back step by step. So what's the way out now?

I think they will remove the 'negative lateral flow test' option too. Then expand the passport to smaller venues.

I don't think there is any end goal to be honest. They have already gone back on the irreversible easing, so there's no reason for them not to do the same in the future.

The problem is, we have no decent opposition in government. And anyone who replaces our current prime minister is going to be pro-restrictions. Add to that the fact that a lot of our leaders have 'second jobs' and have a massive conflict of interest, then you see how deep this goes.

The way I see it now is that our government and the media (and basically every government and media organisation around the world) has invested so much money, time and effort into the world of C0vid mania that it's going to be very difficult to reverse. It's now like a juggernaut rolling down a mountain. It won't stop until there is massive resistance. And even then it's going to be messy.

Having said all this, I'm going about my life as I choose. I don't wear a mask anywhere. I haven't had a single vacc1ne. I see the whole circus for what it is and smile. :cool: What else is there to do?

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
In the grocery stores here they want to slather my not-even-two year old child in freaking hand sanitizer. Leave him alone for f*cks sake!
I just say no thanks, no one ever pushes it past that. If they do, say you're allergic.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I just say no thanks, no one ever pushes it past that. If they do, say you're allergic.
They try to get my daughter to wear masks. I say "no hay tiene" and shrug. Get bent.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.