The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fed Up With Your Country? Where Is Left to Go?

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
What do you guys think about Brazil as a place to live longterm as an expat/nomad?

When I think of Brazil, I think of terrible lack of any safety. I'd go crazy living there, expecting crime at every corner.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
What do you guys think about Brazil as a place to live longterm as an expat/nomad?
I was considering it when looking at countries to move to before I left Canada. I'd prefer to live in a Spanish speaking country in Latin America. Master that language and you have a ton of places closeby you can visit and have a good experience (and also more opportunities).

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
Lived there for 3 years, this is not the place I would choose to settle down.

Some say you'll die at every corner, others that it's fairy land and Brazilians are just so nice and welcoming and everything is beautiful. Neither is true. With a little bit of common sense you avoid 99% of the problems, but purely statistically speaking, if you spend a life there, something is likely to happen to you (not necessarily bad, ie: death).

The economy is unstable and corruption is crazy. Taxes are super high and you get shit in return (comparatively we don't have it so bad in the US or EU...). I actually wonder how far you can go in business before having to deal with some sort of mafia (wether political, police-related, drug-related, it's all intertwined anyway).

Brazil is such a waste. Huge land, big and young population, all natural resources... Yet I feel like they will never make it.

To travel, it's still at the very top of my list though, I'd love to go back. Outside of big cities, there mostly is no safety issue, it's a truly splendid country and Brazilians are indeed friendlier than average humans.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma

time for me to get out of here

Where in Colombia are you? Do u ever check out the site Colombia Reports.

MitchC

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
283%
Mar 8, 2014
Australia
So where I live in Australia which has had basically no restrictions this entire pandemic, and no cases, has now mandated you get vaxinated to go to anything except the supermarket. Exactly what was predicted once we hit 80%. The way they are trying to spin this as giving people freedoms for being vaxinated is insane when there is currently no restrictions on anyone, it highlights to anyone with a brain how stupid this all is.

My girlfriend is a nurse and is vaxinated. She has never agreed to move to Mexico as she doesn’t want to live in a 3rd world country and work in a hospital there but she has agreed to move to USA so I will be looking into that now. I guess Florida would be the number 1 choice, followed by Texas.

Hopefully I can somehow get out of this country and into USA without having to get vaxinated.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
A family friend just called my parents to chat out of the blue yesterday. I guess their neighbors have abandoned Canada.

They are younger, and have five kids. Five!!! In two weeks they found jobs in Texas, sold all of their belongings and their house, packed up their kids and went south. He is a paramedic, she is a nurse. They both did not want to be forced to take a COVID "vaccine" or lose their jobs and be second class citizens. Five kids. Up and left in 2 weeks. If they can do it, anyone can.

Funny enough, they are not allowed to drive south through the US/Can border because they are not double double shot. So they all flew to Montana, and had a vaxxed friend drive their truck and belongings down. They met up, and flew their friend home, and drove the rest of the way. How does it make sense that you can fly there but not drive? Anyone who even looks at these rules for more than 20 seconds knows it is all BS.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Bogota.
Never heard of that site, but looks interesting, thanks.

Nice on Bogota, I lived in La Candelaria for a year working on my first business. Love that city and Rolos but have not been back in 9 years.

Colombia Reports is owned by a gringo for like 12 years out of Medellin surprised he has not gotten murdered he has stuck his nose all over the place and doesnt hold back.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
Europe has gone mad. Just read that Austria requires everyone to be vaxinated from the 1st of February. People refusing are looking into fines or prison sentences. Holy moly. One infamous Austria born person must be enjoying this from his grave.....

Is this for real or am I just living in some crazy f***** up scientific movie?

What are your predictions? Will there be any normal places left in a year, 2 or 5? And where would that be?

I have so much to rant about this and I probably will later this weekend. Great to know there are sane people in here, because everyone I know are basically brainwashed and not possible to discuss anything with anymore.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Europe has gone mad. Just read that Austria requires everyone to be vaxinated from the 1st of February. People refusing are looking into fines or prison sentences. Holy moly. One infamous Austria born person must be enjoying this from his grave.....

Is this for real or am I just living in some crazy f***** up scientific movie?

What are your predictions? Will there be any normal places left in a year, 2 or 5? And where would that be?

I have so much to rant about this and I probably will later this weekend. Great to know there are sane people in here, because everyone I know are basically brainwashed and not possible to discuss anything with anymore.

I still (perhaps naively) hope that Austria is just an outlier and the rest of Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter) won't go so far.

The craziest thing for me is the constant refusal of Sweden as an example of how you can manage this without ruining people's lives.

YanC

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Sep 18, 2017
France
The craziest thing for me is the constant refusal of Sweden as an example of how you can manage this without ruining people's lives.
This plus Norway where you can now travel with no restriction and hassle at all. Scandinavian countries may be the way to go (probably not for you, I read you need warmth, sun and surf lol). Additionally, they have sound currencies, finances and economies.

Only problem I see is that with my 6'1 I may be a short guy there :rofl:

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
I still (perhaps naively) hope that Austria is just an outlier and the rest of Europe (and the rest of the world for that matter) won't go so far.

I hope you are right buddy. I truly do. Just read a bit more about it and the prison sentence was a misinterpretation. You will 'just' get fined, and might only go to prison if you can't pay your fine. Seems like a good way of controlling the low income population...

I actually lived in Sweden during most of the pandemic, while working 10 kilometers away in Denmark. Two different worlds. They are introducing Covid-passports in Sweden from the 1st of December as well. But no matter what I cannot imagine things developing like in Austria.

Chapas

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Nov 23, 2014
This plus Norway where you can now travel with no restriction and hassle at all. Scandinavian countries may be the way to go (probably not for you, I read you need warmth, sun and surf lol). Additionally, they have sound currencies, finances and economies.

Only problem I see is that with my 6'1 I may be a short guy there :rofl:
No worries mate. I am approximately your size and don't feel short at all here. So you will have no problem fitting in :D

Matt Sun

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
252%
Oct 21, 2017
Argentina

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Got my temporary residence permit this week in Mexico City. It's good for a year then I can renew it. After 4 years I can go apply for a naturalization and get a Mexican passport.

If anyone has any questions about the process, let me know. I'm an open book. (maybe some answers I'd send in a dm)

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I went to the UTAH DMV this week and anticipated a long wait in hell.

Surprisingly, it was run like a well oiled machine which was pretty cool. But what I was really impressed with was only a few of the state employees were wearing masks (10% or so) and there was no sign on the door that said "Mask Required" -- from a government agency. Makes me happy to know my move was not a freedom downgrade from Arizona which is pretty lenient too.

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
Got my temporary residence permit this week in Mexico City. It's good for a year then I can renew it. After 4 years I can go apply for a naturalization and get a Mexican passport.

If anyone has any questions about the process, let me know. I'm an open book. (maybe some answers I'd send in a dm)
Congrats!
What is the most convenient and easiest way to get residency?
Do you have to renew it and meet the same requirements each year?

One extra question: I was watching yesterday a video and some sweet couple said that living there on a tourist visa might not be so easy anymore (going in and out after 6mo). Do you know anything about that?

Many thanks for all your answers :) Asking as considering Mexico as plan B in the future just in case. Sometimes I'm finding some misleading information about that.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Congrats!
What is the most convenient and easiest way to get residency?
Do you have to renew it and meet the same requirements each year?

One extra question: I was watching yesterday a video and some sweet couple said that living there on a tourist visa might not be so easy anymore (going in and out after 6mo). Do you know anything about that?

Many thanks for all your answers :) Asking as considering Mexico as plan B in the future just in case. Sometimes I'm finding some misleading information about that.
The easiest way is just have a certain amount of money in your bank account (you'd have to research the exact amount) and they'll give you temp residency. I'd imagine each year when you go to renew you'd have to show updated bank statements. If you go the route of forming your own company, you would get permission from immigration to hire foreign workers and hire yourself thus getting a work visa that way.
Important to note that all of this process is started outside of the country and you need to go to a Mexican consulate (whichever is closest to you) to get the visa into your passport. You then take that to the immigration office in Mexico and swap it for your temporary residence card.

They are starting to crack down on people taking advantage of the 180 day visa. At the border for some people they are looking through their passport, seeing the border runs and giving them 7 days to get their affairs in order then leave. Some people being banned for a year or two...or for life. It's not something I'd risk anymore, which is why I went the TR route.

There are tons of people from around the world moving here to escape tyranny, so they will be tightening up the rules. I'd highly recommend working with a lawyer if you can afford it. Mine is a rockstar.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
@Mammoth how long do you need to stay in Mexico each year of the 4 years to apply for naturalization?

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
@Mammoth how long do you need to stay in Mexico each year of the 4 years to apply for naturalization?
Good question. I hadn't looked into the actual day count because I don't plan on living anywhere else during this process.

To correct myself, it's 4 years of of temporary residence then you can apply to be a permanent resident. After 5 years of provable legal residency you can apply for naturalization.

I can double check with my lawyer on the amount of days you need to spend in the country and let you know. One person on their blog is saying you can't have been out of the country for more than 180 days in the 2 years prior to your naturalization application.

Contrarian

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
583%
Nov 13, 2014
Jalisco, Mexico
The easiest way is just have a certain amount of money in your bank account (you'd have to research the exact amount) and they'll give you temp residency. I'd imagine each year when you go to renew you'd have to show updated bank statements. If you go the route of forming your own company, you would get permission from immigration to hire foreign workers and hire yourself thus getting a work visa that way.
Important to note that all of this process is started outside of the country and you need to go to a Mexican consulate (whichever is closest to you) to get the visa into your passport. You then take that to the immigration office in Mexico and swap it for your temporary residence card.

They are starting to crack down on people taking advantage of the 180 day visa. At the border for some people they are looking through their passport, seeing the border runs and giving them 7 days to get their affairs in order then leave. Some people being banned for a year or two...or for life. It's not something I'd risk anymore, which is why I went the TR route.

There are tons of people from around the world moving here to escape tyranny, so they will be tightening up the rules. I'd highly recommend working with a lawyer if you can afford it. Mine is a rockstar.

Hey @Mammoth , would you kindly be able to point me in the direction of your lawyer?

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
Good question. I hadn't looked into the actual day count because I don't plan on living anywhere else during this process.

To correct myself, it's 4 years of of temporary residence then you can apply to be a permanent resident. After 5 years of provable legal residency you can apply for naturalization.

I can double check with my lawyer on the amount of days you need to spend in the country and let you know. One person on their blog is saying you can't have been out of the country for more than 180 days in the 2 years prior to your naturalization application.

Found the same thing:

If you intend to apply for Mexican citizenship as part of your lifestyle planning, you must prove five consecutive years with either temporary residency or permanent residency, and you cannot have been physically present outside of Mexico for more than 180 days during the last two years prior to the application date

180 days for 2 years means you can be 3 months elsewhere each year which isn't that bad. But what about the temporary residency? Can you just renew it each year even if you aren't really staying there all the time?

sojeer

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
May 10, 2018
Thanks @Mammoth these are valuable information.
I don’t feel that this is the time for me to move there yet… hopefully they won’t tighten the rules so much in the future

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
180 days for 2 years means you can be 3 months elsewhere each year which isn't that bad. But what about the temporary residency? Can you just renew it each year even if you aren't really staying there all the time?
You could just show up once a year to renew it. No need to physically be here the whole time.

Mammoth

Amor Fati
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
247%
Dec 4, 2019
México
Thanks @Mammoth these are valuable information.
I don’t feel that this is the time for me to move there yet… hopefully they won’t tighten the rules so much in the future
Anytime. I don't see them tightening up the rules for people who add value to the country. They just don't want beach bums doing border runs every 6 months anymore.

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
Maybe I’m the outlier here, but I love living here in Canada. It’s not perfect but it’s still great. If I ever move, it would be to California.

None of the reasons for living here in Canada or moving to California involve Covid, or the vaccine, etc.

MTF

Never give up
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
455%
May 1, 2011
You could just show up once a year to renew it. No need to physically be here the whole time.

So in theory can you apply for temporary residency each year for the next 4 years and then get permanent residency or do you need some proof of living there to get permanent residency?

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.