The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  • Sell-Me Saturday is Now Live!

Have something to sell? Want to promote your design service or a YouTube channel? SELL-ME SATURDAY is your opportunity to self-promote anything within the sphere of entrepreneurship on one thread... and at no cost. Go There
    Note: Indiscriminate SEO backlinking to questionable material is not allowed.
  • Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs who are earning their freedom and living their dream.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The C.E.N.T.S Framework outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED®). From multimillionaires to digital nomads to side hustlers who are grinding a job, the Fastlane Forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses with one goal in mind: Freedom— both financial and temporal.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane) Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block.

OFF-TOPIC Fastlane Team @ Kiva.org

Remove ads while supporting the Unscripted philosophy...become an INSIDER.

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Millionaire Fastlane
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC

ItsMyLife

New Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chicago

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think I'd go with Option A here :thumbsup:
done. $25 lent on behalf of the Fastlane team.

who's gonna help fund the other one??? ;)

who's gonna partner with me in this loan??? ;)

OP
OP
Analyzer

Analyzer

Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe
Just placed another one Kiva - Lucila Konturnina Ramos Torres

I love being able to fund these businesses, I really belive that empowering people in these countries that have a stake in their economy and are building something is great way to not only help them but the whole societies where they live.

Also, I placed 15 loans since I joined and got zero defaults until now :icon_super:

ItsMyLife

New Contributor
Jan 15, 2009
Chicago
done. $25 lent on behalf of the Fastlane team.

who's gonna help fund the other one??? ;)

who's gonna partner with me in this loan??? ;)

Of course we will! We'll contribute our part just as soon as I get home to my partner in crime. But since we can only do one at a time:

contribute to Option B
or
partner up in the contrubution to Option A?

:smxB:

OP
OP
Analyzer

Analyzer

Contributor
Aug 31, 2007
Portugal, Europe

Runum

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Aug 8, 2007
DFW
Bump for newbies. This is a cool way to help entrepreneurs all over the world.

sswift

New Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Miami
this is such a great idea! my father always told me to pay myself first, my mom always told me to pay charity after. I was never to prone to the latter half. I never felt like I could see my money doing anything. Kiva changes everything! I dont have to donate alot, but I directly see the influence of my money. It's great! signing up right now! thanks for the insight!

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
From our fastlane team in Kiva.org:

Number of Team Members 25
Number of Loans 59
Number of Loans per Member 2.4
Total Amount Loaned $2,150

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
I really need to get on there ... I've had money sitting in the account doing nothing. The first loan I made paid me back in full.

Jonleehacker

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 31, 2007
Edmonton, Canada
Just made my first loan last week:

Kiva - C2577 Abizeranye Group from Rwanda is repaying a Kiva loan

I forgot about this thread, so I'll have to check out the Fastlane group.

One thing that I thought about when doing my loan was that I think Kiva should be setup to pay nominal interest to their lenders.

I would like to see my initial deposit amount grow, even if only 1 or 2 % a year, so that the power of my lending can grow and affect more people.

Since most of the loans do get paid off, I think the people who are receiving them could afford the extra 1%.

The fact that there is no return makes it a lot closer to charity - nothing wrong with that, but it just wasn't the experience I was expecting. I think enlightened capitalism works better than charity.

Anyone else have thoughts on the Kiva model?

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Anyone else have thoughts on the Kiva model?
I agree -- it isn't microfinance but charity. I though there would be a return on the money's when I first joined. Jon you just exposed an opportunity and yes, even 1% return would compel more loans. 1% is better than the .02 money market return. Yet, the model is helping those in need.

Phantom309

Contributor
Feb 23, 2010
Panama City,FL
I just joined the team at Kiva.org a couple of weeks ago. I'm actually heading over there today to find someone to help. I think it serves a great cause and I'm proud to be a part of it.

andviv

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
well, it seems the business model is in demand... a co-worker told me the same... he felt the returns (as low as 1% interest) could finance the organization AND provide incentives to "investors/donors".

A small glitch is that paying interests would probably void the "charitable gift deduction" that many love to have...

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
Apr 14, 2009
MN
I was just in Miami Beach last week for a social investing conference and yes, micro-finance has pretty high interest rates (20-80%). It was interesting that many companies will only loan to women, because they found out they were a much better risk, men spent the money on booze and other women. LOL.

Fonkoze is one microfinance lender. Worldwide lending is fairly sophisticated. I found out one company has about a billion bucks out in microfinance and lending to small/med enterprises (SME's) they callem.

Zafen.org is a new one focusing on funding entrepreneurs in Haiti.

The new model is trending this way to create more sustainable communities, teaching them how to fish and financing their fishing equipment, instead of just continually giving them fish.

MJ DeMarco

Administrator
Staff member
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
FASTLANE INSIDER
I've Read UNSCRIPTED
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Jul 23, 2007
Fountain Hills, AZ
Just made 4 loans today, all women in Africa.

andy

New Contributor
May 28, 2010
UK
I'm looking forward to joining Kiva myself actually, found it a while back. Just getting myself going again and expanding then I shall start spreading the wealth :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Sponsored Offers

MARKETPLACE Lex DeVille's - Advanced Freelance Udemy Courses!
Just Enrolled to "Start a Freelance Business: Take back your freedom Now" Thanks! @Lex...
MARKETPLACE You Are One Call Away From Living Your Dream Life - LightHouse’s Accountability Program ⚡
Welcome to 2020, I wanted to add in a quick note about gratitude for the new year...

Don't like ads? Remove them while supporting the forum. Subscribe to become an INSIDER.

The 2020 Fastlane Summit

This event SOLD OUT in October. For authorized resale tickets, please check ticket resales or contact the forum directly.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Monthly conference calls with doers
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

Top Bottom