The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Fastlane Forum - is it an easy-to-build website?

Anything considered a "hustle" and not necessarily a CENTS-based Fastlane

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe
Does anyone here know how much time it took MJ to build this forum? Also which programming language is it?
It's nicely done, nothing super fancy, but works very well in each aspect, plus loads very fast.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Does anyone here know how much time it took MJ to build this forum? Also which programming language is it?
It's nicely done, nothing super fancy, but works very well in each aspect, plus loads very fast.
It's Xenforo and MJ isn't a fan so is moving off it soon.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
but before Xenforo - was it built with code?
I don't know but I doubt it was coded up by hand before it was built with Xenforo.
Does it matter what it was before it was built with Xenforo though? (Oh, and Xenforo is code anyway.)

Check out MJ's thread about forum updates to see how frustrated he is with the current platform.

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe
I don't know but I doubt it was coded up by hand before it was built with Xenforo.
Does it matter what it was before it was built with Xenforo though? (Oh, and Xenforo is code anyway.)

Check out MJ's thread about forum updates to see how frustrated he is with the current platform.
Frankly not really! I thought as MJ started his business journey by building websites for diff businesses, that this forum could be one of his projects.
Out of curiosity will check this out! Thank you Andy

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
Does anyone here know how much time it took MJ to build this forum?
It's built on top of XenForo, and it has gone through many iterations. What you see today is nowhere near what it was when it first got started.

shubham___3011

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Sep 29, 2023
India
It surely isnt easy to build a forum like this because it needs alot of coding experience, database connectivity so on and so forth

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe
It's built on top of XenForo, and it has gone through many iterations. What you see today is nowhere near what it was when it first got started.
just did some research and it's PHP mainly as a programming language, which is easier to build than Python, also any moderations seem easier to implement by the developer ( preferably someone from xenforo ) , all in all I was wrong as I thought it's coded by MJ =D

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
The forum uses 3rd party software that I did not code, on a dedicated server hosted by Liquid Web.

The forum started as a vBulletin install in 2007.
Some time in 2013 or so, it was moved to the Xenforo plaform.

I didn't code it, but I have had my hands involved in some of the style decisions (which is simple CSS).

In 2024, it will be moving platforms again.

Aidan04

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Apr 27, 2022
United States
The forum uses 3rd party software that I did not code, on a dedicated server hosted by Liquid Web.

I didn't code it, but I have had my hands involved in some of the style decisions (which is simple CSS).

Excited to see what it migrates to in terms of software. Will it be something similar to Flarum? I know a lot of platforms use that software for their forum infrastructure.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Excited to see what it migrates to in terms of software. Will it be something similar to Flarum? I know a lot of platforms use that software for their forum infrastructure.

I like Flarum and it is a contender, as is IPB (Version 5 due in 2024). Unfortunately Flarum uses a lot of command line bullshit to manage, and I hate managing things on the command line.

Bence Ur

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 24, 2023
Launching a forum is super easy, the hard part is to get actual forum members... Now that's the hard part. Sure there is AI content generation but you still need human visitors to monetize a forum.

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe

Thank you MJ for the reply! =) It's gonna be interesting to see how it will look after the change!

Mike Thiel

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Mar 15, 2021
Europe
Launching a forum is super easy, the hard part is to get actual forum members... Now that's the hard part. Sure there is AI content generation but you still need human visitors to monetize a forum.
Do you believe AI content generation is better than human one, especially in grasping people's attention (the initial stage of the forum with like 5 members)? I guess I am too skeptical about AI use, even tho myself I am using it for copywriting in my dropshipping venture, but it's gonna be cool to see your broad view on it

Xeon

All Cars Kneel Before Pagani.
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Sep 3, 2017
Singapore
Not sure what's the complaints about Xenforo about but I always thought it's one of the better forum software out there in terms of usability.

Maybe MJ should keep it simple and go retro and use vBulletin instead. Back to the good old 90s!!!!

RobbyMe

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Feb 11, 2023
I launch as a web developer for a client a server with Discourse. The software is open source, so you pay only for hosting, looks quite good without any big adjustments.

The updates are running smooth.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.