• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

EXECUTION Failure is not an option

Discussion in 'Progress/Execution Threads' started by astr0, Mar 4, 2019.

1. astr0

astr0 Grinding Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,544
    Paid & signed contract for office rent, on my partner sole-proprietorship for now. We would definitely have to make local LTD-like company to hire & stay legal cause of local laws, but that's long and not now...

The fun thing was that the office owner talked with us a lot and asked: "Do you have clients?". My extrovert partner was pretty much the only one that was talking with him, so he said: "Yes, definitely for a few months". Soon the talk went the wrong way when the business owner started to explain all the benefits of being an employee. I quickly realized that he's afraid that we would go out of business in months leaving his office empty again... Had to interrupt saying that I've done that before for almost a year, it's rough but well figure out something.

Later I was proposing to niche even more in the complex, better-payed and rapidly growing area where the competition is weak and pretty much overloaded with work anyway and StackOverflow won't help.
    Parner1: Well, I don't think we would have problems with finding clients. I'm more worried about the hiring
    Me: Do you know someone who we can not hire for X (much higher above average salary)
    Partner2: Em... can we still afford it?
    Me: Yes, but that's not necessary... If we would have no problems with clients that means that we would have unlimited clients. We would grow to 1k employees and will be looking for an island to buy in a year.

So a fairytale business plan for growing any service business with unlimited scale:
    1. Take every cent out of savings
    2. Find the best and the biggest office
    3. Take max debt in 3+ banks
    4. Find someone to design & setup the office asap
    5. Write all HR agencies that we need lots of employees. We offer +20% average salary. Their commissions would be 2x salary after an employee works for 6 months. Nothing up front, only contract. They usually take 1 salary, 50% upfront, 50% in a year, so that should be interesting.
    6. Hire all the top people we know to filter all the candidates from HRs. They would also be the management later.
    7. If we can't handle unlimited work after that - outsource it to other service companies here.
    8. Pay off the debts.
    9. Once we hire everyone, start buying other companies.
    10. Look for a nice island...

After we quit our jobs, there are two pills waiting for them
    • Get real and do what it takes no matter what
    • Get disappointed that everything is hard and quit
    I honestly don't know their choices but need plan B and C for the worst case scenario...

2. astr0

astr0 Grinding Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,544
    Week -5
    week_minus_5.png

The best week so far, despite the bump.

NDA Project. Has finished the seed round. Actually, we have few investors messaging after the amount was closed and asking to sell more... Integration with a big partner went live today, around 5 hours ago and we already beat a previous best day like 3 times on every metric, including daily profit. Valuation is pretty insane now as the client sold only 10%, and that's 2 weeks of development for the core project (380 hours total)... Of course, the client works on marketing, connections and getting users all the time too. We also have one great "employee" (she's actually working for us full time as a contractor, but an employee on another dying company) whos managing social media, telegram, and customer service. We don't track paying users from the integration but got 178 unique directly. And that's was 163 yesterday as far as I remember. Got some converting traffic from Google too, but that's probably from searches directly by name.

Done
    • One of the 3 major tasks @ NDA, few small ones
    • Office furniture & tech shopping. 5 tables, 3 chairs, a drawer, an office hanger, and a router $1560. 2 months of office rent $1460/2. We picked furniture that was in stock, would have to wait for more than a month otherwise. Slightly more expensive options that we needed, but not that much. Should be delivered by the end of the week.
    • Transferring my responsibilities on 9-5 is 60%+ done. Only a few big & complicated parts left. Also done pretty much everything the clients and the boss asked to do before I leave. Want to maintain good contacts with them and minimize all the negative consequences of me leaving the team.
    • Made verbal deals with 3 service company owners to recommend each other to the clients in case they need such work. Chances are slim, cause we're almost completely in different niches, but who knows... Turns out that's pretty common, small companies even offload additional work if they are too busy and landed a client for a sale commission. Or just partner with another company temporarily for a single project. Looks like wins for everyone including the client.
    Now
    • Electricity, ethernet, and better lighting in the office.
    • Buy monitors. Shouldn't be too much of a deal. Found used 24" HP pro series for ~$110 each, 100+ in stock.
    • Get my tech in shape. Both my 8yo overclocked PC and 5-6yo laptops are still fine for me. I can only notice significant differences between my home Ryzen 2700x on image processing, but that's not what I'm doing all the time. PC needs more silent cooling and probably won't maintain that level of overclocking with that, so I'm thinking of replacing the CPU and MB with used newer one, shouldn't be more than $100 and I would probably spend not less than $40 on cooling alone otherwise. The laptop needs a new/external keyboard and has a dying graphics card that surprisingly hasn't glitched for more than 6 months now for some reason. It was bought only cause of portability when I needed that, but I'm not a laptop guy, so 80% chance that it would continue to collect dust without fixing it (and it's too old to justify graphics card replacement anyway).
    • Start another big milestone @ NDA project.
    • Finish explaining my area of responsibility to soon to be ex-coworkers.

Was seriously thinking of starting our own products instead of services. I know a lot more now from the NDA project, and we can definitely apply everything in a different niche. Probably could even finish my last MMO that turned out big failure if I knew it back then. Maybe the grass is really greener on the other side? Partners are holding me back, although they ok with the idea, just don't have enough money to survive for more than 6 months without income and I don't want to risk a lot more by paying them, so we currently have very limited number tries before going back to 9-5. NDA project won't cover it unless I exit, but that's too soon.

3. astr0

Rep Bank:
    $1,544
    Goal: Largest project
    $25K was the biggest single project we were able to close on my first service company 10 years ago. Just beat that with the NDA project, but that's a bit of cheating. The initial amount was way less, but after the client got funding secured he was willing to improve it. And we did a lot in almost every part of the project.

Goal: Cross recommendation partners
    Honestly, now the number (that was chosen pretty random) looks very low. I just thought of who I knew that can do that and we still won't compete with each other. But competing and still recommending another company to the client is completely fine too in some cases. A "nice" number is also low, the wider web the better, but I'm not going to change the "official" targets along the way. Some dopamine from hitting them won't hurt. Would be aiming for 5/10+ really.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.