The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

F*ck it, i'm learning to code

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
Hey @alexkuzmov , thanks for checking in. I've been wanting to update the thread for a while now.

To be honest i feel a bit like a failure, haven't been able to bring myself to write about it.

I lost my job and apartment due to covid, or I guess my failure to deal with the situation.

After a few months I got into university(prep year for computer science), tuition is free and the loans are almost 0% interest so I guess it’s not a terrible deal. Managed to get a student apartment last month so i’m not on the streets anymore.

Needless to say it’s been a shitty year and I handled it poorly.

I’m starting to build things again, thinking about doing it in public and build some authority.

Feel like this is the first time I've been able to take a deep breath in the past 10 months.

I’m re-reading unscripted to get my head in the right space.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

csalvato

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
May 5, 2014
Rocky Mountain West
Hey @alexkuzmov , thanks for checking in. I've been wanting to update the thread for a while now.

To be honest i feel a bit like a failure, haven't been able to bring myself to write about it.

I lost my job and apartment due to covid, or I guess my failure to deal with the situation.

After a few months I got into university(prep year for computer science), tuition is free and the loans are almost 0% interest so I guess it’s not a terrible deal. Managed to get a student apartment last month so i’m not on the streets anymore.

I’m starting to build things again, thinking about doing it in public and build some authority.

Feel like this is the first time I've been able to take a deep breath in the past 10 months.

Keep your head up, it gets better

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

This is a tough man.
Are you saying that you were homeless at one point?

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
This is a tough man.
Are you saying that you were homeless at one point?
Slept in my car for a bit, mostly stayed with friends.
Never had to sleep on a park bench or anything

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Slept in my car for a bit, mostly stayed with friends.
Never had to sleep on a park bench or anything
What about the Upwork gigs, did it work out?
Also about the skills, did you build something yourself, finished a course?

zhangmin_007

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
24%
Jun 25, 2019
这。比什么都重要。我对术语的任何定义都可以称为开发人员。但是除了大学过时的无关课程之外,我从未完成过任何形式的课程。我从一个问题开始,然后找到使用适合该过程的任何编程语言/工具/方法来解决该问题的最佳方法。通过研究其他应用程序/代码如何解决问题或实现所需的功能来学习。如果不相同,至少要接近它。然后,我研究所有我不了解的代码,并在此过程中学习大量知识。

因此,我强烈建议您定义要解决的问题/产品或应用要解决的问题,而不是遵循既定的课程。然后学习完成该任务所需的一切。

一切顺利... :)
Can not agree any more!

Muthembwa

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Mar 14, 2019
This. More than anything else. I would be called a Developer by any definition of the term. But outside of outdated irrelevant course in university, I have never completed any course / curriculum of any kind. I start with a problem and then find the best way to solve it using whatever programming language / tool / method is suitable for the process. I learn by looking at how other applications / code has solved the problem or implemented the feature I need. If not the same, at least something close to it. Then I research everything about the code I don't understand and learn tonnes in the process.

So instead of following set curriculum I would strongly urge you to define a problem to solve / product or app to make. Then learn whatever it is you need to accomplish that.

All the best... :)
This sounds like MJ

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
Been a while..

I started this thread a little over 2 years ago, with a dream of being able to build whatever I want. In that sense you could say I've made it.

oh also.. I just launched my first Saas product!

It's in the lead generation/marketing space and I have 1 customer so far. Building it was a lot harder than I thought but I kept pushing and my confidence as a developer has never been higher.

It took 5 months to build but I probably spent 4 months too long on it before I launched.. but hey, you live and learn.

Now I face some new challenges, actually getting more customers.

My first customer is a contact I made through my last business. I know they’ve used a product like this before so I've sort of built it for them which was nice because it kept me grounded. Having an industry INSIDERS to talk to really helps in deciding which features to focus on first.

What i'm doing right now is building up a knowledge base on how to use the product which I’m also hoping will help with SEO. I don't really have that much money so my main focus is to do SEO along with some hustling to get the ball rolling.

It’s good to be back,
Sean Lewis

brb

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Jan 8, 2022
Blockchain
Been a while..

I started this thread a little over 2 years ago, with a dream of being able to build whatever I want. In that sense you could say I've made it.

It's in the lead generation/marketing space and I have 1 customer so far. Building it was a lot harder than I thought but I kept pushing and my confidence as a developer has never been higher.

It took 5 months to build but I probably spent 4 months too long on it before I launched.. but hey, you live and learn.

My first customer is a contact I made through my last business. I know they’ve used a product like this before so I've sort of built it for them which was nice because it kept me grounded. Having an industry INSIDERS to talk to really helps in deciding which features to focus on first.

What i'm doing right now is building up a knowledge base on how to use the product which I’m also hoping will help with SEO. I don't really have that much money so my main focus is to do SEO along with some hustling to get the ball rolling.

It’s good to be back,
Sean Lewis

Hi Sean,

Congrats on launching your first SAAS. What niche is it in?

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Why do you go with PHP over JS?

I am wondering, say you have someone:
- that is starting from scratch
- wants to learn enough code to be able to rapidly develop working prototypes of web apps
- has one year to gain that practical knowledge

which language would you recommend?

//tagging @eliquid and @csalvato
what about Python?

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Been a while..

It’s good to be back,
Sean Lewis
Hey man, congrats on not giving up :)
so how do you like developing so far?

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
Hey man, congrats on not giving up :)
so how do you like developing so far?

I'm hooked! You could give me a billion dollars and i'd still be building software. I like everything about it, Which is probably how i've been able to stick with it.

One issue is that I got stuck in "developer mode" for a while there which is why it took a couple months longer than it should have before launching... Although i do have a kick a$$ product now. :happy:

bangL

New Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Dec 31, 2021

Congrats on your program and learning how to code, Sean! I am glad you decided to persist and kept learning even though there were horrible hurtles in your life. I m sorry that you were homeless at one point, but hey, you got here now. Coding is no easy walk in the park. Thanks for sharing! Your story is very inspiring. Best wish on your start up this year. You can make anything happen when you put your kind and heart into it. You got this!

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I'm hooked! You could give me a billion dollars and i'd still be building software. I like everything about it, Which is probably how i've been able to stick with it.

One issue is that I got stuck in "developer mode" for a while there which is why it took a couple months longer than it should have before launching... Although i do have a kick a$$ product now. :happy:

Even better, you know have a specialized skill that pays higher than minimum wage, and has economic demand.

Congrats on your first customer!

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

I Am I Said

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
Sep 14, 2017
Canada
congratulations, sticktoitiveness beats intuitiveness again

Vasili27

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Jun 2, 2021
Philadelphia Pa
Do you recommend any languages to learn?

I've been developing for two years as Java Dev (+Spring, SQL, ORM) and I think this language is mostly for big, corporate projects so I'm thinking about swapping to something else, but there're sooo many possibilities...
python?

MishuAman

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Dec 15, 2021
Hey Sean,
I have about 11 years of experience as a developer
If I can help you with something, go ahead and drop me a question in this thread.

That being said, I believe in crossing bridges when you come to them.
If you have an app in mind, or some software you want to make, then focus on learning the tools needed for that.
If RoR is the tool you need, then great.
If not, then dont waste time on it. Instead learn what you`ll need.

Also, there are concepts in programing which apply for any language (excluding HTML, XML, CSS, LESS, etc. the UI languages basically, or SQL and others). You should focus on them regardless of which language you choose.
Dont focus on ALL of them, just the ones which are available in the language you are learning.

1. Logical structures. (if then, else, switch ...)
2. Cycle/Loop operators (for, for..in, while, foreach ...)
3. Variable types(string, bool, int ...) and scope (learn where a variable is visible and where not, SUPER IMPORTANT!)
4. Data structures (Array, Matrix, Stack, Heap ...)
5. Object oriented programing (abstraction, inheritance, interfaces, implementation ...)
6. Design patterns (Repository, Factory, Singleton ...)

If you understand these, you can learn any language.
JUST WANTED TO ASK HOW CAN WE LEARN FASTLY ,SHOULD WE GO FOR COURSES OR SHOULD WE START MAKING PROJECT,WHICH IS MORE EFFECIENT,,,,
PLZ REPLY SIR

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden

I would only recommend python if you plan on working with big data or AI, that pretty much all it's used for professionally.

If you want to build literally anything else than AI then it's better to go with Javascript, Rails or PHP(in that order..) You will get spammed with job offers and be able to build web apps fast.

Ayush6543

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
82%
Sep 2, 2021
F*ck it, i'm learning to code

This has been nagging me for years now.

I'm sick of having great software ideas and not being able to build them.

I'm sick of not having any marketable skills.

And i'm sick of making excuses!

Why coding?

When my last business failed i realised i didn’t really have any “real” skills.

This is why i’m taking a step back before i launch another business and learning to program.

I’ve been interested in programming for a long time, but i never got around to learning anything more then HTML/CSS. I really like the idea of being able to build whatever i want, no matter how dumb it is.

I’m learning to code because i want to, not because it’s the fastest way to make money.

Here is the game plan:

I don't plan on wasting any time on this. Once i have a good understanding of the basics I plan on learning through DOING.

I'm currently going through the odin projects "web development 101". I already know HTML/CSS and Javascript is next.

I wasted a lot of time researching which back end language to learn but i've decided on "Ruby / Ruby on Rails". (there is no best language btw)

Once i know JS and I'm going to start applying to jobs/contracts while still learning RoR. My hope is to find something part time that is remote, that way i can spend the rest of my time learning and working on my own project.

Execution

The goal is to:
  1. Learn programming.
  2. Get a job and further develop this skill.
  3. Create a “web app” of my own.

In this thread I'll share a weekly recap of the things i've learned, challenges encountered and wins. If you're a programmer and have tips, feel free to pm me or leave a comment.
The best way to learn anything is to apply what you learn. I will advice you to build small/tiny projects and then pick up the flow as you go. Just don't waste too much time on tutorials or researching Which programming languages are the best? or the best frameworks to learn. These are huge waste of time. Plus I will say to learn one language at a time then if you are comfortable with it or maybe you want to change your stack, you can move to other languages.

Exceptions
There may be time when you don't understand some parts or may be you think what's the use of putting so many semi-colons or brackets. But this just about the language which you choose.
If you want to learn programming fast and easily without spending too much time, with my own personal experience I will suggest to start with python as it is very easy. Except frontends you can build anything you want, and the fundamentals are same in most programming languages so very less friction will be faced when moving from python to javascript, java or c++.
Here are some YouTubers who will help you on your journey.
programming with mosh for tutorials and really good teacher
web dev simplified superb guy with good insights about code and really good teacher too
code with harry if you are Indian and want to learn in hindi

Note: Unless you belong to the family of gates, or if your dad has too much money, I will suggest you not to spend money on courses, because everything is free on the internet.

Last edited:

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
JUST WANTED TO ASK HOW CAN WE LEARN FASTLY ,SHOULD WE GO FOR COURSES OR SHOULD WE START MAKING PROJECT,WHICH IS MORE EFFECIENT,,,,
PLZ REPLY SIR
Go for projects.
Get courses only to sovle specific problems.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria

Send me e DM with a link, would love to check it out :)

Guram112

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 21, 2021
Nice man I like energy. I am also learning coding more specifically web design. If you need accountability partner you can text me, we can share our daily experience.
Best regards

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
Haven't been visiting the forum much in the past few months, I'm trying to keep social media and internet usage to a minimum. Anyways, I wanted to give an update.

Currently my Saas has 2 paying customers, i’ve had more but they’ve canceled after the first couple of months. The truth is that my product isn’t up to the standards of the current space. When I envisioned this product there weren't many competitors but during my time learning to code more have surfaced and to be honest their products are better than mine. My whole USP was to bring a fresh breath to an “old” niche but it seems I was too late.

In other news I was able to get a full time job as a software engineer, I make great money and I enjoy the work and learning from the more experienced developers.

I would’ve never gotten this job without launching my Saas so it really goes to show that if you put stuff out into the world you’ll be rewarded.

I can definitely understand why people get lazy when they get a well paying job. When I got my first salary I realized all my needs are basically taken care of. So I had to have a real conversation with myself about why I keep pursuing this whole entrepreneurship thing. I think getting a high paying job will test most peoples resolve. But for me it was the opposite, having access to this sort of money but while on a leash only further strengthens my resolve of becoming truly free.

I'm in a great place to pursue my next Saas idea and now is not the time to relax, it's time to step on the gas. More updates incoming although infrequent..

Hugh thank you to everyone who's been helping out with their guidance and advice in this thread! I look forward to taking the things I've learned and funneling it into my next pursuit.

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
Currently my Saas has 2 paying customers, i’ve had more but they’ve canceled after the first couple of months. The truth is that my product isn’t up to the standards of the current space. When I envisioned this product there weren't many competitors but during my time learning to code more have surfaced and to be honest their products are better than mine. My whole USP was to bring a fresh breath to an “old” niche but it seems I was too late.

I'm in a great place to pursue my next Saas idea and now is not the time to relax, it's time to step on the gas. More updates incoming although infrequent..

I'm curious. After people were willing to buy your software, why do you say you were too late? Do your competitors have all the other possible customers? It sounds like you did some market research with what you thought was a great product and found that the market is willing to buy it but you have some work to do.

Since you have it developed already if you updated the software, could it be successful? Can you talk to your customers to find out what would improve their experience and make releases to improve the product? You might be able to leap-frog your competitors in features or by not having too many features, but making it quick and easy to use.

You'll almost always have competition. Even if you don't start with it, it will come for you.

BTW, until you've made it in the SAAS space, these projects should make great portfolio pieces for you to show potential customers if you want to have your own software shop. Keep them polished and they will help you sell yourself especially early in your software career. It's your IP and isn't part of a team implementation at a larger company.

SeanLewis

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Aug 7, 2019
Sweden
I'm curious. After people were willing to buy your software, why do you say you were too late? Do your competitors have all the other possible customers? It sounds like you did some market research with what you thought was a great product and found that the market is willing to buy it but you have some work to do.

Since you have it developed already if you updated the software, could it be successful? Can you talk to your customers to find out what would improve their experience and make releases to improve the product? You might be able to leap-frog your competitors in features or by not having too many features, but making it quick and easy to use.

You'll almost always have competition. Even if you don't start with it, it will come for you.

BTW, until you've made it in the SAAS space, these projects should make great portfolio pieces for you to show potential customers if you want to have your own software shop. Keep them polished and they will help you sell yourself especially early in your software career. It's your IP and isn't part of a team implementation at a larger company.

I agree with everything you say, it's just that i've been promoting this thing for 6 months now and there is no real traction or interest. At some point I have to cut my losses and move on. I'll definitely keep it running tho!

Boogie

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
219%
Nov 27, 2014
Midwest, USA
I agree with everything you say, it's just that i've been promoting this thing for 6 months now and there is no real traction or interest. At some point I have to cut my losses and move on. I'll definitely keep it running tho!
Well in that case...

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.