The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Extreme inconsistency. Any ideas??

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I've been trying my best to deal with this problem myself but I just couldn't figure it out. I have a lot of new ideas now. New strategies to test out so that hopefully I can get rid of this problem for good.

I'll contribute whenever I can as well, as I take too much value without giving in return - my bad.

Good luck! You can do it. :)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

999michaelh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 20, 2021
I think you should productively work on something smaller that you can scale later. For example, maybe a lawn care business. You'll learn a lot and it'll give you a bit more discipline.

I've asked a lot of questions on this forum, so hopefully I'm not one of those people :clench:.

I am putting everything to use, though.
I actually considered doing a physical business just so that I would get away from technology. It would improve social skills, help me change my bad lifestyle, etc.

Have you worked in the lawn care business yourself?

spirit

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Mar 11, 2019
I actually considered doing a physical business just so that I would get away from technology. It would improve social skills, help me change my bad lifestyle, etc.

Have you worked in the lawn care business yourself?

I haven't worked in lawn care myself. I'm working on freelance web design.

I just thought it would be a good idea for you. Check out this topic:

It is for window cleaning, but it's applicable.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Yeah you're right. I try not to blame others but sometimes I still do subconsciously.

I'll probably leave sometime in the near future, when my parents go back to Hong Kong. I'll take it as an opportunity to leave without feeling too guilty.

I do have a general fear of the "outside world". Not sure where you identified that in my post but it's true.

You bring up a good point with the resentment. I don't feel resentful that often but I'm pretty sure it's probably been subconsciously influencing my behaviour, as you were able to tell from my post. I don't like resenting my parents. They're great parents, yet I still do sometimes. Maybe it's time for me to start practicing gratitude as a daily ritual(something I've procrastinated on for a long time).

I have a solid plan for getting to $30k per month, just need to put in the time & effort to get there now which is what I'm working at.

I'm not going to go down the entrepreneur route. Whether it's white hat or black hat videos, I'll probably stick to Youtube since it seems to be the most fun, least risky, and most rewarding.

But you do raise a good point. I think if I focused on creating quality content that I enjoyed personally, my life would be a lot easier

I don't know what my "why" is. Pretty much all I tell myself is that "I want to do something big". Other than that, I'm trying to become rich so I can afford my dream lifestyle. Not sure if that counts as a "why"?

I grew up in Hong Kong. I'm in the US right now.

You must be a wizard because you can understand someone through a small series of posts.

You say I haven't tried anything, but I've been doing exactly that for the past 1.5 years. Coming to others for help was a last resort.

You're right that I ask for help too often. I'll make it a point to give more value to others in the future.

"People who are chronically lazy aren't entrepreneurs and entrepreneurs aren't chronically lazy." I was practically raised on video games. Playing video games all day was what I did since I was 10 years old. It was my escape for 7 years. Do you realize how difficult it is to break free from that? I'm trying my best, but it's not like I'm going to U-turn my lifestyle instantly.

I'm grateful for all the people who've given me advice. I could not come up with any ideas to deal with this inconsistency problem, so everyone here has given me an idea that could potentially fix this problem once and for all. But that doesn't mean you have to resent me because other threads don't get as much attention. You're obviously more experienced than me, but something tells me that your maturity might not be.

You're just a hater, and I'll use you as fuel to my fire.

Your biggest problem is your limiting beliefs.

"My parents made it so I was born and raised in comfort so it's really hard for me to get stuff done"

"I was raised on video games so I can't just change my life around in an instant"

"I'm not chasing money I just want to make a youtube channel and earn an arbitrary number of $ per month"

You have a negative mindset and and, even more worryingly, one of a victim. All you're thinking about is yourself and not how you can create value to someone else.

I know how to spot that because I've been there.. and unlike you, I had ALL the reasons and "the right" to play the victim card. I still chose not to because all that does is harm you further. Plus nobody gives a F*ck anyway, it's survival of the fittest.

@Kung Fu Steve gave you some awesome advice that went over your head.

Touch a cat and it runs away. Give the cat food and it's going to give you the attention you're after.

Replace "cat" with "client", "food" with "more business", and "attention" with "money" .

As @WJK pointed out with tough motherly love (she's been around the block!) you're still a child. And that won't change unless you jump out of your comfort zone and discipline yourself.

Also, @OMJ is not a hater. He's really supportive, it's just you haven't really demonstrated any willpower or done anything yet except fantasize about being an entrepreneur and talk back to experienced people giving you advice.

Last edited:

JordanK

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
295%
Feb 17, 2014
Ireland
Put the gaming console/pc up for sale and get rid of it.

eramart

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
104%
Aug 31, 2015
Moscow, Russia
Seems like a neat idea. Could you explain why you think event organizing would be good for me?
It will bring you out there, teach you a bit about many things - budgets, negotiations, creative solutions, make you responsible for your actions. Also, it probably will get you in touch with industries you care about. You will meet many different people, build your connections as well. I think that the rhythm will be more to your liking than some boring desk job, too.

Makko

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
109%
Jul 13, 2021
South Korea
Do this:

1. Go to a foreign country.
2. Join the military without being able to speak its native language
3. Serve 2 years minimum
4. ? profit ?

That's what I did and I'm glad I did it. It put me in the most uncomfortable/scary place to test myself. And of course, you can't use your phone or wake up whenever you want. It's all regimented. From the way you walk, eat, talk, and how much sleep you get.

Otherwise, you are inconsistent because you don't care enough about yourself. You haven't experienced the true "FTS (f*** this s****)" moment in your life.

Whenever I feel lazy or unmotivated I think back to those days of suffering.

G

Guest95936

IMO you should focus on small habits that are consistent.
I.e reading 5 pages per day while listening to music you enjoy.
Read "Atomic habits" by James Clear

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
Do this:

1. Go to a foreign country.
2. Join the military without being able to speak its native language
3. Serve 2 years minimum
4. ? profit ?

That's what I did and I'm glad I did it. It put me in the most uncomfortable/scary place to test myself. And of course, you can't use your phone or wake up whenever you want. It's all regimented. From the way you walk, eat, talk, and how much sleep you get.

Otherwise, you are inconsistent because you don't care enough about yourself. You haven't experienced the true "FTS (f*** this s****)" moment in your life.

Whenever I feel lazy or unmotivated I think back to those days of suffering.

Holy shit. That's some Edge of Tomorrow shit. Minus the aliens and time loop stuff.

Where did you go? What was it like?

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I don't know if I'm naturally a slacker since I don't like when I waste time, but I grew up on video games and youtube so maybe it's my environment that shaped me.

I'm also not sure if discipline is the main problem. As I said, on regular days I can work and resist distractions no problemo, but at night one bad day, I just pick up my phone and it's like all energy leaves my body and I'm just stuck. I'm putting all my technology in the garage from now on so I won't pick up my phone automatically. Hopefully that works.

I'm considering getting a part time job. I'm a bit hesitant, because if I can get a structured work schedule w/o a part time, I'd have more hours to spend on personal projects. Will think more about this.

Appreciate your help man.

Interesting as I'm a Gen Xer who hates to waste time who grew up on limited entertainment options and basically was outdoors exploring with friends or playing both individual and team sports. My electronic addiction started in the mid-90s but it was low key and in 2015 I finally got a smart phone (I refused initially as saw people and co-workers becoming zombies around 2011 and wanted nothing to do with). I ended up crumbling as needed the smart phone for a job and than for my own business. I still resisted and was disciplined.

Around 2018 I was way more active on Instagram for my brands and than I noticed a higher level of addiction and than BOOM! By 2020 I was a full blown phone addict who just laid there endless hours as had zero structure as was fully funded and just doing business but I have massive flexibility with my schedule and finally got lulled into being a phone zombie.

So I decided to end this nonsense, even though I give myself a blocks of time to be on my phone as I actually do get a lot of research and tasks done. The best thing I did was to work PT doing independent contractor work at between 20 - 40 an hour. I was able to formulate a schedule and my discipline came back. Every thing improved including diet, exercise, business work getting done, relationships, etc. I still have a lot to work on but my time management went 10000% better and all those tasks I procrastinated on for business all of a sudden were so easy and results so much better.

My experience = Bootstrapping PT or FT job is way better than being an early stage project that needs ton of time to development while live with a long runway with zero/low revenue even when having sufficient funding. You're going to bleed money for both personal and business growth and may as way keep a flow coming in with the bootstrapping to put yourself in better position for long term success.

As for needing to work on personal projects that would be lost due to a job. That is complete BS, you literally waste over 10 hours a day or more doing nothing, get real and if you want to succeed dedicate your entire day, 7 days a week, 30 days a month to it and stop coming up with excuses. Take rest for longevity but even plan that properly.

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
A quick tip that helped me reduce my urges to use my smartphone: set your screen color profile to monochrome (on Android it's part of the Simulate Color Space option in Developer Settings). I was shocked how boring the internet became when it was all in black and white. It really curbed my desire to endlessly scroll. A good lesson in the importance that color plays in marketing too.

I also turned off the LED notification light which helps me not get distracted when my phone is on my desk but otherwise muted.

seomatic

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Jan 24, 2011
Germany
Get an IQ test, most likely you are in the top 1%. Don't let society tell you it's ADHD and don't take drugs.

Not a single creative person has a regular schedule. It's impossible to stick to it.

Best choice is to hire someone who holds you accountable. Ask friends/family/GF.

Tom H.

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
210%
Dec 13, 2019
Jaco, Costa Rica
Move out on your own, pay your own rent, get a job doing something real - construction would be ideal. Engage in the real world and act like a F*cking man.

Once you've made it into the real world, try to figure out what actually motivates you.

If you can lay around and jerk off for a week without any real consequences, you're sheltered and you will always be a pussy.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Get an IQ test, most likely you are in the top 1%. Don't let society tell you it's ADHD and don't take drugs.

Not a single creative person has a regular schedule. It's impossible to stick to it.

Best choice is to hire someone who holds you accountable. Ask friends/family/GF.
Uh? I'm a VERY creative person and I keep a regular schedule every day. My husband is very smart. He can fix or build just about anything. Mechanically he is very creative. He keeps a very regular schedule. We do it on purpose.

Having regular routines actually encourages creativity. A regular bedtime allows for enough sleep. And eating meals on time regulate one's blood sugar.

I was seen by a therapist when I was younger who specialized in over-achievers. He helped me work on structuring my life to balance my intellect and my creativity. Part of that balance is creating routines that allow me to exercise both parts of myself. He told me that I must something intellectual every day and something creative. My therapist retired years ago and I'm still heeding his advice.
(In fact, I’m doing both by answering your post. I'm thinking about the presented business problem -- using my intellect -- and writing my answer -- which is a creative activity.)
My doctor taught me that being creative doesn't give me a license to be a wild and crazy person. Creativity does NOT equal undisciplined. He pointed out to me that people like me, who don't have control of their lives, often become clinically depressed and emotionally paralyzed. And they become unhealthy through not having good physical and eating habits. He was right. Life is easier when I stay on my routine.

Hadrian

QUEST MASTER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Oct 8, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
@Hadrian did he ever join your accountability discord?

Aloha... hmmm notta sure as people join up with different names. We have a very small group but It's not actually my group and I don't get in there much as I'm so busy with my projects.

Honestly I've been trying out various groups, apps, websites you name it for about 2 years now and sadly they just don't work for me. The only one that did was the Stickk app until my accountability partner quit as he kept failing.

Accountability groups always end up being more like Solidarity Groups and I'm looking for a non BS group where priority tasks are outlined and ruthlessly pursued on a daily, weekly, monthly, annual basis with strong financial penalties for non compliance... Carrots don't work... Sticks do!

Working on a solution... a fantasy RPG themed app called Wolfpack! Probably a 2022 release.

Will keep the forum posted for beta testers!

Tshirts XP 4.png

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Aloha... hmmm notta sure as people join up with different names. We have a very small group but It's not actually my group and I don't get in there much as I'm so busy with my projects.

Honestly I've been trying out various groups, apps, websites you name it for about 2 years now and sadly they just don't work for me. The only one that did was the Stickk app until my accountability partner quit as he kept failing.

Accountability groups always end up being more like Solidarity Groups and I'm looking for a non BS group where priority tasks are outlined and ruthlessly pursued on a daily, weekly, monthly, annual basis with strong financial penalties for non compliance... Carrots don't work... Sticks do!

Working on a solution... a fantasy RPG themed app called Wolfpack! Probably a 2022 release.

Will keep the forum posted for beta testers!

View attachment 40215
I'm with you on the stick thing.
Fear is the greatest motivator of all.

On another of his inane threads, ZCP directed him to Lighthouse.
He probably didn't contact him either.

VentureVoyager

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
223%
Aug 19, 2017
Merida, Yucatan, Mexico
I have the same problem, or at least I used to think that it was one.

I work in batches and rest in binges. I can be working my a$$ off for a few months and then do nothing but drink, smoke, travel etc. for a very long time.

I used to whip myself over that because oooohh all these Youtube gurus and their 2 hours of sleep a day routine to be so ever super duper uber productive and waking up at 3 AM to always be soooo much more ahead of the stupid sheep crowd, oh, the mighty, oh the disciplined, oh the rich, oh the 50 new books a week crowd, why can't I be like them?

And you know what?

F*ck that bullshit.

This is my system. This is my how my body and psyche work. And I can actually progress in life like that which I proved to myself over and over again. I don't have be this perfect ever-disciplined Barbie-Ken youtube American Action-Man Warren Buffet Spiritual Crypto-Investing Five Businesses Owning Perfect Body Superproductive Preaching guy in order to be successful or to feel good with myself. I actually feel bad pushing myself into mental cages.

Stop pushing yourself in other people's ideas and forms. No, you don't have to wake up at 4 AM to be rich, no, you don't have to meditate, do wim hoff method, habits spreadsheets, yoga, hit gym every day and be in a mastermind and accountability groups nor be perfect. You don't have to be that consitent. And you can still be successful and happy.
You can still progress in your own system.

You do you.

Voice Angel

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Aug 12, 2019
First of all, good for you for trying to figure this out.
It’s okay to ask for help.

Perhaps you may be starting with huge goals a bit soon ($30k/month) which can lead to a start and stop effect.

Try picking one small goal only for the rest of this week (your #1 focus). Something a little edgy for you (but not TOO much like the 7-8 days of non-stop work).
Then see how you did.
Then pick another for next week.

Do that for 3 weeks, and then expand your goals to different life areas.

You’re still young, and you have loads of life experience ahead of you.
Just start with small goals – pace yourself at the beginning to drive up self confidence.
And close the loop on the value offered.

With each experience, your self confidence will expand along with your next goal. And with an eye on the output always being producing that of top value, you continue to expand this cycle.

All the best…

Move the chains

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Dec 15, 2019
Hey guys,

For the last 1.5 years, I've been extremely inconsistent.

When I was trying to pursue ecommerce, I worked hard for 2 weeks, then I fell into a slump for 1 week(where I watched movies, youtube, etc., 24/7), get back to work, and the cycle kept repeating.

When I tried to start a website, I'd work hard for a week, then fall into a slump for a week, then I'd start working again and this cycle kept repeating.

Recently I decided to try Youtube out. I figured that since I used to watch so much youtube and it's quite fun, I'd take this as an opportunity to launch and grow my own channel, monetize it and make a lot of $(through my research and observations I've seen others making significant money with YT).

I figured I could work really hard at this since it was the most fun. But here's what my life has looked like:
- work hard for 1 week.
- fall into a slump for 4 days.
- work hard another 3-4 days.
- fall into a slump for 4 days again.

I'm honestly so confused. I have no idea why I'm like this. I mean, I have goals that I really want to achieve yet I can't get over this extreme inconsistency. It's gotten to the point where after I have one bad day, I'd lay in bed staring at my phone until 7am and basically passing out, then waking up at 2pm.

I have tried decreasing my work hours, going to the gym 5x a week, pursuing different projects, taking a break once a week yet nothing changes.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? If so how did you overcome it?
There's already plenty of advice on finding structure. I do think it's a good idea for you to get some work experience. At some point, you'll have people to lead/organize and if you've never been part of a team, you'll be a lousy leader (and wonder why everyone else sucks!)

I've been there with pushing the hours and then crashing. My 2 cents:

- Take at least 1 day off a week (no screens, get out into nature or socialize and be away from work)
- Work in blocks with activities to give your brain a break
- Meditate (it does wonders for focus and better self-regulation)
- Prioritize quality sleep & quality nutrition(powers the brain)
- Focus on serving others (don't chase the money)
- Assign work blocks in your schedule for focusing on specific tasks (don't over-schedule, start small - keeping those appointments with yourself will help build momentum)

Hope this helps.

simxela

Contributor
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jan 15, 2021
Everything you say sounds exactly like ADHD multiplied by parenting style of your parents.
I struggle(d) with the same issues.
Dropped out of medical school, graduated another college just to tick off that from the checklist.
Changed jobs every year.
Started and failed several businesses (online). Lack of consistency killed them all.

to-do:
1. Start working out TODAY!!! Yes, TODAY, NOW! Do some pushups, stretches. Do them DAILY.
2. Get tested for ADHD.
3. Get ANY part-time job, move out from your parents. You need to have your back to the wall or you'll not function.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I have the same problem, or at least I used to think that it was one.

I work in batches and rest in binges. I can be working my a$$ off for a few months and then do nothing but drink, smoke, travel etc. for a very long time.

I used to whip myself over that because oooohh all these Youtube gurus and their 2 hours of sleep a day routine to be so ever super duper uber productive and waking up at 3 AM to always be soooo much more ahead of the stupid sheep crowd, oh, the mighty, oh the disciplined, oh the rich, oh the 50 new books a week crowd, why can't I be like them?

And you know what?

f*ck that bullshit.

This is my system. This is my how my body and psyche work. And I can actually progress in life like that which I proved to myself over and over again. I don't have be this perfect ever-disciplined Barbie-Ken youtube American Action-Man Warren Buffet Spiritual Crypto-Investing Five Businesses Owning Perfect Body Superproductive Preaching guy in order to be successful or to feel good with myself. I actually feel bad pushing myself into mental cages.

Stop pushing yourself in other people's ideas and forms. No, you don't have to wake up at 4 AM to be rich, no, you don't have to meditate, do wim hoff method, habits spreadsheets, yoga, hit gym every day and be in a mastermind and accountability groups nor be perfect. You don't have to be that consitent. And you can still be successful and happy.
You can still progress in your own system.

You do you.
He doesn't have to anything right now. Over time though, he'll be healthier if he has some kind of daily routine.

When I was working my career, I would work 2 to 3 weeks straight and then take a few days off. I was always on the road with my jobs, so sometimes I would take a few days off during my business trip. I'd take the job just so I could have the time off in a specific location.

Castro

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
250%
Mar 28, 2018
United States
Keep grinding until you spark your feedback loop. Many people lose focus because they haven't done this. Much of it is also setting expectations, small wins can be great for this. Even stuff like making internal progress such as learning something new, advancing on a project, etc.

JUAREZ

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Jun 24, 2019
Scramble your association with the word "work".

Work is a pretty dull word used by society to wrap such a large portion of human experience.

Try to instead think "awareness" and notice if it changes anything in your experience. Don't "work", just pay attention...

What's happening to you once happened to me too and I can tell you how things evolved for me:

- Start an online business? Go down rabbit hole of learning as much as I can about "online" businesses
-- Oh so things like Amazon FBA? Go down rabbit hole of learning as much as I can
--- Hit some road blocks - make the thing too complex by getting way ahead of myself.
--- Fear hits - the mind makes up an answer "But I don't even like inventory based businesses... "
---- Stop learning about Amazon FBA
----*STOP PAYING ATTENTION FOR A SHORT WHILE*
----- Start feeling guilty that I'm not doing enough - not being "productive" enough - not "working" enough

- With intense emotions of guilt, angst, and more stress - go back at it
-- Start a service based business? Go down rabbit hole of learning as much as I can about "service based" businesses
--- [...]
--- Hit some road blocks -
--- Fear hits - the mind makes up an answer "I should just BUY a business instead... "
---- Make the thing too complex by getting way ahead of myself
----*STOP PAYING ATTENTION FOR A SHORT WHILE*
----- Start feeling guilty that I'm not doing enough - not being "productive" enough - not "working" enough

- With even more intense emotions of guilt, angst, and more stress - go back at it
-- Start a SaaS business? Go down rabbit hole of learning as much as I can about Saas" business models
--- [...]
---- Hit some road blocks
----- Fear hits - the mind makes up an answer "I need to earn a Masters degree in CompSci before I take action "
------ Make the thing too complex by getting way ahead of myself
-------*STOP PAYING ATTENTION FOR A SHORT WHILE*
-------- Start feeling guilty that I'm not doing enough - not being "productive" enough - not "working" enough

Do you see the pattern? I hope so. But let's get to what we learn from this process:

You're not "wasting time"
You're not "being lazy or not productive enough"
Your problem is not that you lack discipline, or that you don't care, or that you're not worthy
In fact, there is no problem at all... How so?

I want to draw your attention to what might actually be happening: you are learning!

With time being a continuum of the moment before and the moment after, in the present moment you notice no change. You notice no immediate change in the individual, because you're the continuity of what just happened, and our human experience of life rarely flips from black to white instantaneously. It is only in retrospect that you might ever notice how the path changed, and how you arrived at where you are now. This requires time, patience, and a resolute love for yourself and the process.

What might be happening, is that you, as Thomas Edison did with many of his inventions, are learning how NOT to get to what you want.

What might be happening, is that you are learning to link the outcome of your current objective with what you might actually want out of life. It's only by imagining, going through the vision, that you might realize what the other side could potentially look like. And it's in reviewing this outlook on life, that you may begin to actually imagine what you DO want out of life, and little by little begin painting that vision in your mind.

What might be happening, is that with a lack of patience and with angst around what you ought to be doing, with angst around thinking you are unproductive and unworthy, you may be limiting your ability to think clearly and to truly use your creative energy. You might be subconsciously circumventing the creative thoughts that EMERGE out of you, by trying to force what they SHOULD be, comparing your endeavor based on what creativity emerges or has already emerged out of OTHER people.

To navigate forward, what you need is clarity. Instead of hopping around ideas with angst, what you can do is start simply by imagining. Yes. No "work" needed. My prescription is to put on some classical music, and just think. You don't need to take any notes, nothing to memorize or remember here, no to-dos at all. Your task is simple: observe your thoughts. Watch them go by:

" Oh did I lock my car"
" Oh creating a YouTube channel though!"
".. oh What about that new Acura I saw on the road, did you see the jerk that was driving it?"
" This is a waste of my time, I need to be... I need to be... I should research more"

Simply watch what thoughts emerge - notice yourself thinking them. Notice that they emerge from within.

Now put a slight intention behind your thinking: "What do I think is cool? What's something I find interesting?"

Simply watch what thoughts emerge - notice yourself thinking them. Notice that they emerge from within.

Now put another slight intention behind your thinking: "What's an act of kindness I can do MORE of? What was that thing I said to the clerk the other day and he smiled so big? How can I be more kind like that?"

Now tell yourself: " If I wasn't scared of anything, if I didn't believe that the world was going to run out, or that my life would be in some tragedy if I didn't do the thing, you know the thing, the work thing, the being productive, working out, eating healthy cause fitness right, what if nothing BAD would happen to you, if you simply allowed yourself to be?"

Ask yourself what if YOUR experience could be ANYTHING you wanted it to be, what could it look like?

From THIS place, you may begin to see clues as to what your intuitive might actually be pulling you towards.
From THIS place, simply pay attention, and let those thoughts become a part of you.
No need to write down what you learned, no need to memorize, no need to go watch Udemy courses on how to pursue the thing you just thought.
Just sit with it, and if you want, you can even "forget" about it and go do something else. Go for a walk. Go hang out with friends. Go tell your mom you love her.

These thoughts, you see, ALWAYS emerge FROM you. Your subconscious will not forget . You can always think them again :)

By being patient with yourself, by being loving to yourself and the ones around you, by trusting yourself and listening to what the voice within you is saying, you will begin to see a path towards the thing you actually want.

By continuing to be loving, and listening to yourself, your mind will begin to present you hundreds, thousands of iterations of what things can look like, how you can get there, and in one of my favorite mental models: how you GOT there in the future. From the perspective of this random future you just thought up, what are you now telling your kids and the ones asking you advice about how you MADE it to where you are? Imagine yourself on a podium of people seeking advice from you, wanting to learn from you, what do you tell them life is all about? What do you tell them, that if they pursue relentlessly, could lead them down your footsteps?

This is where the magic happens - you see from your OWN mind, the universe will begin to manifest your OWN lessons that you need to learn, your OWN path, what you ACTUALLY can be doing, or what you OUGHT to do that manifests from this future.

Here is where you need to be brave: you need to listen to yourself. Despite what others think, what they may say, how your life might change, what you must do is recognize that this voice from within you STEMS from the Universe. Rooted deep in your subconscious, you will never be able to "forget" or "ignore" this thought. Only temporarily drown it with some other thought. Because it stems from within you. What you must begin to do now, is to simply follow along with the vision and the path your mind offers you.

One step at a time.

With awareness.
With love.
With faith.
With compassion.
With patience.
With kindness.
With the recognition that all will be just alright. That you will be just fine. That there is nothing to be afraid of. That your ability to connect with the Universe, and to imagine a new thought, is your greatest strength. And that you will ALWAYS have this ability - so long as you pay attention and listen to yourself.

I promise you, your path will begin to reveal itself to you. You will "dabble" in different ideas less frequently, because with awareness and an intuitive vision, you will more closely iterate on the things you want and don't want. With each iterative step, your science experiment will spiral you closer to manifesting this vision in your mind and your perspective will become more clear.

You will continue to find things you don't want. Or that you thought you wanted very deeply, but that you've now learned you don't want. That is also part of it - as you continue to be a continuum of the last moment, the present, AND the future moment. As your experience unfolds, new thoughts emerge, your perspective will change. Do not be hard on yourself when this happens - know that this might be what learning feels like.

I promise you, if you practice some of these mental models, you will begin to see what you really want. When this happens, you will no longer have to worry about whether you're doing "enough" or being "productive" enough. When you're doing the thing you REALLY want to be doing, every bone in your body will be WILLINGLY doing the thing. You will not feel much resistance, you will simply WANT to be doing the thing, because there is no other thing you could possibly want in that moment, because your vision is now clear, and you are continuously paying attention to what you DO want. This will make something "hard" or something you might label as "work" to be something so natural and easy.

Just pay attention, and your inner creative will begin to serve you, to serve others around you, and to manifest beautiful things in this world. Money will follow, freedom will follow, personal liberty will follow.
@AceVentures , man, you are an awesome guy. How you put these words to describe something truly beautiful is very nice. Started to learn from you about crypto and now reading these words, said to myself "Man, I resonate a lot with this guy. He is an interesting person". Your reply is a process with steps which I will start to implement as soon as I feel tired or lazy. I have experienced this part, where if you just pay attention and see yourself where you want to arrive, you receive a boost of energy, to do the things. But sometimes I forget.. What I noticed also is that if you are looking at all these steps at once, you will feel overwhelmed and you will postpone the action, to do it when you have the mental power to do a lot. So for me, I try to just focus on the next step. If it looks too big, I try to make it very small, like dividing it in a lot of parts, until I feel ok to just do one thing.

Thank you.

Marco Sander

New Contributor
Sep 28, 2021
Hey guys,

When I was trying to pursue ecommerce, I worked hard for 2 weeks, then I fell into a slump for 1 week(where I watched movies, youtube, etc., 24/7), get back to work, and the cycle kept repeating.

When I tried to start a website, I'd work hard for a week, then fall into a slump for a week, then I'd start working again and this cycle kept repeating.

Recently I decided to try Youtube out. I figured that since I used to watch so much youtube and it's quite fun, I'd take this as an opportunity to launch and grow my own channel, monetize it and make a lot of $(through my research and observations I've seen others making significant money with YT).

I figured I could work really hard at this since it was the most fun. But here's what my life has looked like:
- work hard for 1 week.

I'm honestly so confused. I have no idea why I'm like this. I mean, I have goals that I really want to achieve yet I can't get over this extreme inconsistency. It's gotten to the point where after I have one bad day, I'd lay in bed staring at my phone until 7am and basically passing out, then waking up at 2pm.

I have tried decreasing my work hours, going to the gym 5x a week, pursuing different projects, taking a break once a week yet nothing changes.

I´m a Psychologist and Coach. I don't know the exact answer based on your post but what we often find with clients is that they are lacking a clear positive vision.
Often people are negatively motivated in a sense that they don't want to be unsuccessful or they don't want to feel like they are behind. As soon as they feel that they are on track, they loose it again!

And it's okay to not have the clear vision for the next years.
People usually don’t specifically know what they want to change.
My advice is to focus less on the Output (for example: make 10k USD a month, read 1 book a week)
But focus on the Input (for example: work 5 hours focused, meditate 30min. a day).
Focusing on the Input gives you clarity. You know what needs to get done.
> So what is your clear Input?

Sooner or later you might find yourself having a vision!

999michaelh

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Mar 20, 2021
Thanks for all the replies, everyone.
I compiled everyone’s ideas into a document so I could refer to it if I ever felt the need to.

This week I successfully narrowly avoided another “slump”.

Basically, I worked straight for 7-8 days and I could feel myself starting to feel like crap. I took a day or two off work but what really helped(I think) was socializing.

I don’t really talk to people (social anxiety). I thought I could ignore that issue and just focus on my goals, but I think it secretly had a tremendous impact on my mental health. I talked to a few people today and instantly felt better afterwards. Went from unmotivated to way more motivated just like that.

Also I tried to focus more on the quality of my work(caring about customers) as Kungfusteve said and I’ve found it makes my work much more enjoyable.

Im going to try to keep this up. Planning on improving my social skills now that I think that it actually helps me work longer(by keeping me sane and happier).

Again, thanks for all the insights everyone.

Thibault

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
125%
Mar 20, 2019
France
Hi Michael,

I've read the entire post as it applies to me as well in a lot a sense. I am little older than you, 24 years old exactly and I have not find ways to be consistent and work hard.

I also leave at my parent's house, also started several little businesses, lack clarity on what I truly want and who I am really at the deepest (my life's purpose is not clear too). I've developed some qualities as a French young adult but I would not consider myself a man still.

You seem to be an active searcher just I have been for the most part in my life. Seeking for help is strengh because it requires that your ego is not that big and it is my opinion, invaluable to make progress faster. It is not an easy journey but you seem to have good qualities for you age and I congratulate you for that.

I guess most people here are successful entrepreneurs and they want you to raise your standards which is great but from my perspective I would also advise you to give yourself compassion, grace, and love to yourself.

Of couse, we all want to be successful, become independent, be financially free but the journey is often times very long so why not make sure that you enjoy the process at the same time ?

I'm not into the workhard mentality without a true understanding of your inner being first. You have to start with that before venturing into any business ideas, projet or job. Otherwise, you will just burn out, feel unfullfilled, depressed, unhappy and live with theses cycles of productivity and doing nothing, beating yourself up.

It is only when you will be trully aligned with yourself, know how to feel good about yourself on your own that you will be able to act in the world, create and contribute. Going the other way around will only make you suffer even more until you realize that.

Recently, I purchased programs from Tony Robbins called the Inner Circle. In it, he gives you all his best programs to truly give yourself all the clues about why we do what we do and who we are as human beings and specific strategies to feel good at any time in life. Even though I've been on this personal development journey for a long time, I see it could really help you to feel better on a daily basis and be more consistent over time. If you are not consistent, it is because you are not really aligned, centered and you have unresolved inner conflicts. Also, you may not know simple tactics to feel better just has changing your physiology, your focus or the meaning you give to experiences.

It is not magic content but It could really to be better prepared before you confront the world. It's great to jump out of the nest but it is also better to do it when you have grown some wings !

Also, I would advise you to pick Awaken the Giant Within and do the 10 Mental Diet Challenge (I am starting out and I feel I could feel good and be positive at all times with the tools given in the programs I told you before).

However, I must admit that I am not into business and taking massive actions. I'm just a young man who wants to be happy first and foremost. In fact, I believe that we have to learn how to feel good about ourselves on our own first before going out in the world. It is the most valuable thing you can offer yourself and other people around you.

It is a very complex subject and I hope that this message will give you another perspective to think about as it is a process that will mature in you over time with dedication.

Keep doing you best, question yourself, keep improving as much as you can. And remember, it nevers ends. Life is about progress ! Make sure everything is the product of you conclusions.

Best,

James Klymus

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
353%
Dec 28, 2018
Chicago, Illinois
Hey guys,

- work hard for 1 week.

You aren't interested in what you do. If you were, you wouldn't want to sleep, play video games, or anything else. I used to feel the same way as you right now, and I thought it was about finding some productivity hack. It's not, You need to try different things to find out what you're interested in, Like a bunch of different things. Get different jobs, different hobbies, talk to people, put your self out there.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
Hi Michael,

I've read the entire post as it applies to me as well in a lot a sense. I am little older than you, 24 years old exactly and I have not find ways to be consistent and work hard.

I also leave at my parent's house, also started several little businesses, lack clarity on what I truly want and who I am really at the deepest (my life's purpose is not clear too). I've developed some qualities as a French young adult but I would not consider myself a man still.

You seem to be an active searcher just I have been for the most part in my life. Seeking for help is strengh because it requires that your ego is not that big and it is my opinion, invaluable to make progress faster. It is not an easy journey but you seem to have good qualities for you age and I congratulate you for that.

I guess most people here are successful entrepreneurs and they want you to raise your standards which is great but from my perspective I would also advise you to give yourself compassion, grace, and love to yourself.

Of couse, we all want to be successful, become independent, be financially free but the journey is often times very long so why not make sure that you enjoy the process at the same time ?

I'm not into the workhard mentality without a true understanding of your inner being first. You have to start with that before venturing into any business ideas, projet or job. Otherwise, you will just burn out, feel unfullfilled, depressed, unhappy and live with theses cycles of productivity and doing nothing, beating yourself up.

It is only when you will be trully aligned with yourself, know how to feel good about yourself on your own that you will be able to act in the world, create and contribute. Going the other way around will only make you suffer even more until you realize that.

Recently, I purchased programs from Tony Robbins called the Inner Circle. In it, he gives you all his best programs to truly give yourself all the clues about why we do what we do and who we are as human beings and specific strategies to feel good at any time in life. Even though I've been on this personal development journey for a long time, I see it could really help you to feel better on a daily basis and be more consistent over time. If you are not consistent, it is because you are not really aligned, centered and you have unresolved inner conflicts. Also, you may not know simple tactics to feel better just has changing your physiology, your focus or the meaning you give to experiences.

It is not magic content but It could really to be better prepared before you confront the world. It's great to jump out of the nest but it is also better to do it when you have grown some wings !

Also, I would advise you to pick Awaken the Giant Within and do the 10 Mental Diet Challenge (I am starting out and I feel I could feel good and be positive at all times with the tools given in the programs I told you before).

However, I must admit that I am not into business and taking massive actions. I'm just a young man who wants to be happy first and foremost. In fact, I believe that we have to learn how to feel good about ourselves on our own first before going out in the world. It is the most valuable thing you can offer yourself and other people around you.

It is a very complex subject and I hope that this message will give you another perspective to think about as it is a process that will mature in you over time with dedication.

Keep doing you best, question yourself, keep improving as much as you can. And remember, it nevers ends. Life is about progress ! Make sure everything is the product of you conclusions.

Best,
Both of you are way too comfortable. You wouldn't be IF I was, or my husband was your parent.

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
When it comes to inconsistency/rut/insanity, do these whatever works for you
1) Do some Assessment/Audit what you are doing currently
2) Reduce Pitfalls/Mistakes by mastering the basic level as strong concrete in a boring way, not shiny object way

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.