The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Expanding from Children's to YA Fiction

G

Guest6814

Hello Everybody,

I've posted on the Fastlane Forum before about my novel-writing/self-publishing business. I've been aiming to do it the smart way, taking courses offered by people who have already succeeded, getting advice from podcasters (Joanna Penn, Mark Dawson, Chandler Bolt, and others), Facebook groups for writers, cross-promotions, etc.

Still, my success has been quite limited so far. I finally decided to face a reality and make a mental shift: children's books represent a very small share of the book market, and aren't so easily amenable to the eBook format. Also, an author interviewed on Mark Dawson's podcast stated that young adult (YA) readers are the most prolific; they often make reading a lifestyle rather than occasional hobby. So, that age group is the best one to target. And, yes, they read eBooks.

On that basis, I have decided to gear my next series towards YA readers. Once I finish my current WIP, I plan to start a new series, with a view toward a somewhat older crowd, YA. Market research on the genre will happen soon, too.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hello Everybody,

I've posted on the Fastlane Forum before about my novel-writing/self-publishing business. I've been aiming to do it the smart way, taking courses offered by people who have already succeeded, getting advice from podcasters (Joanna Penn, Mark Dawson, Chandler Bolt, and others), Facebook groups for writers, cross-promotions, etc.

Still, my success has been quite limited so far. I finally decided to face a reality and make a mental shift: children's books represent a very small share of the book market, and aren't so easily amenable to the eBook format. Also, an author interviewed on Mark Dawson's podcast stated that young adult (YA) readers are the most prolific; they often make reading a lifestyle rather than occasional hobby. So, that age group is the best one to target. And, yes, they read eBooks.

On that basis, I have decided to gear my next series towards YA readers. Once I finish my current WIP, I plan to start a new series, with a view toward a somewhat older crowd, YA. Market research on the genre will happen soon, too.
There's so many courses, information out there, you really just have to learn through trial and error. I think it's basically finding the right niche your good at, knowing your audience, what they're after, and shooting for the goal. It's about all any of us can really do as writers.

G

Guest6814

There's so many courses, information out there, you really just have to learn through trial and error. I think it's basically finding the right niche your good at, knowing your audience, what they're after, and shooting for the goal. It's about all any of us can really do as writers.

There's a lot of truth in what you've set. I'm still experimenting. Two writers can write to the same target audience and get different results, and there are different approaches that may work or not work.

"Join Twitter and spam people (that's what I call it) with your life-changing blog post!"

"Blogging doesn't work for fiction. You need a series, with the first book free."

"I never had to write a series, but have sold children's books over 10,000 times."

etc.

In my FB group for children's and middle-grade authors, one guy with a series has apparently been very successful at it, since offering both a first book free and a "reader magnet" (each one advertising the other, I believe). Others have been less successful.

There's no perfect piece of advice.

However, branching into the YA age group seems like a rational move, considering the high amount of book consumption among that group.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing some market research in a few days, using Wesley Atkins's product, Kindle Spy. I'll see how well the YA historical fiction is doing there, and make the best decision I can make.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
There's a lot of truth in what you've set. I'm still experimenting. Two writers can write to the same target audience and get different results, and there are different approaches that may work or not work.

"Join Twitter and spam people (that's what I call it) with your life-changing blog post!"

"Blogging doesn't work for fiction. You need a series, with the first book free."

"I never had to write a series, but have sold children's books over 10,000 times."

etc.

In my FB group for children's and middle-grade authors, one guy with a series has apparently been very successful at it, since offering both a first book free and a "reader magnet" (each one advertising the other, I believe). Others have been less successful.

There's no perfect piece of advice.

However, branching into the YA age group seems like a rational move, considering the high amount of book consumption among that group.

Anyway, I'm planning on doing some market research in a few days, using Wesley Atkins's product, Kindle Spy. I'll see how well the YA historical fiction is doing there, and make the best decision I can make.

I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but the Nano-writing is next month and might help you. And also did you study the Dungeons and Dragons Character, World Building, etc. A lot of good authors use this for their stories. And also they go in a lot of depth of Personality types, and getting down the dialogue. Many study screen writing and novel writing. There's a lot behind being a top seller writer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
G

Guest6814

I'm not sure if you already know this or not, but the Nano-writing is next month and might help you. And also did you study the Dungeons and Dragons Character, World Building, etc. A lot of good authors use this for their stories. And also they go in a lot of depth of Personality types, and getting down the dialogue. Many study screen writing and novel writing. There's a lot behind being a top seller writer.

I appreciate your suggestions.

I'm aware of NaNoWriteMo. I'm actually in the process of writing a novel right now, the fourth in my series. I plan to complete the initial draft at some time in November. NaNoWriteMo would be too much to take on at this stage, given the intensive course that I'm also taking and other factors.

I've come a long way as an author, and have done world-building and improved character development. Reviewers have enjoyed my books. If you're curious, check out peretzadventures.com.

I'm not saying I have nothing to learn about the craft; however, the marketing side is critical too. The YA market appears more lucrative than what I've done so far, so I want to expand into that market, as well.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
I've come a long way as an author, and have done world-building and improved character development. Reviewers have enjoyed my books. If you're curious, check out peretzadventures.com.
It looks like you're doing well. I think that is a good area young adult. I have a app on my tablet you might like that puts your right in touch with them. This is the facebook group. I enjoy the app though, because they're always talking about what they like and don't like about books, and what ones you should read in their age group. So throw your books at them and see what happens.
Books Amino

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.