The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Everything You Need to Know About Sales: Part 1

Marketing, social media, advertising

Do you consider yourself a salesperson?

• Yes

Votes: 45 66.2%
  • No

Votes: 23 33.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
1 step back, 2 steps forward. That's excellent what you're doing mate, FOCUS on it and nail it. Nothing else exists until you get this ramping up.

Was repping for a web dev who turned out to have a very bad reputation in the industry. I don't want to be associated with that.
I am on the look for someone else to work with, I have three companies I am in contact with currently. I'm also moving forward with a local business website - we are going to set up one for my local area (300k+ inhabitants) for free. I will sell advertising for them, generate content and grow traffic.

In return, I get a commission, free ad spots, and the ability to sell my own (non-clashing) sales through there. Since my aim is local for now, this is perfect. This is something that will scale quickly but will tap out due to local market. Then we move on to the next link and max that out. Or expand to a new market.

Essentially, I am working on 3 things, but they all tie together. I will focus on one first, which will fuel the next which will fuel the next.

From the Rainmaker book -> Show them the chain and sell them the first link.

Met with 3 other Brisbane guys from the thread, one of which is a potential partner in a JV in the future (the end link in this chain). Shout out to @MikeAU, @Lukebrisbane and I actually didn't catch the third guys name, sorry!

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
@OVOvince
Part 1
https://soundcloud.com/axiom-403344048/voice00240

Message from @Ubermensch

Notes:
  • Nobody knows about PACE -- from commercial real estate, to general construction.

• Lower energy, make the planet greener, make the company money, increases value of property

• Most people just want to talk about business, but they’re not actually out there closing deals and DOING business

• Most people just want to get by -- including people on this forum

• Sales IS a contact sport -- you need to go out and develop your own contacts

• Construction is not that difficult -- just break it down into subtrades

• Electrical, flooring, HVAC, lighting, etc.

• OVOvince is evolving, getting shit done, and beginning to understand this stuff

• Big money is in B2B, not B2C

• Figure out what products to sell, who to sell it to

• If you go with PACE, you need to know everything about it -- who to partner with, how to sell it

• Need to know exactly where you are in the business food chain (manufacturer vs. distribution chain)

• Hope you didn’t sign a non-compete

• 35% commission is alright, but you should be getting paid over 50%

• Need to have more than one company to work with

• Great progress overall, but now it’s a matter of bringing it home

• What makes PACE so awesome is doing packages of deals under one financing structure

• Know the names of Hubble, Cooper, Acuity, GE, Philips -- do you have access to these guys?

• Need to make margin pie as big as possible -- this means getting to the source (manufacturer vs. distributor)

Last edited:

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
Two more from @Ubermensch to @OVOvince

Part 2: On LEDs
https://soundcloud.com/axiom-403344048/voice00241
Notes:
  • LED is a highly nuanced game

• Are the LED products DLC (designlights consortium) approved?

• Are they UL rated?

• Utility companies are only going to give customers rebates if the products meet specific requirements

• Do you have a list of clients to go after?

• Did you sign a non-compete? Please say no (possible way around it)

• The LED market is wide open -- parts of Maryland and other places where the electricity company gives enough rebates that the deal pays for itself or a big bulk.

• Utilities incentivized by feds to be more energy efficient

• In Ohio a few years ago, 90% of electricity generated by coal

• Big push for energy efficiency

Part 3: On PACE
https://soundcloud.com/axiom-403344048/voice00242
Notes -
  • PACE - Property Assessed Clean Energy

• It is NOT debt

• Lots of financing vehicles in construction (e.g. LED leases), but this is different

• It is a tax assessment on the property, so upgrades paid by a line-item on property tax bill

• Building owners make periodic payments on upgrades for up to 30 years to pay it off.

• Major capital upgrade projects (massive office buildings) with no capital out of pocket to increase value of the property

• Contractor likes the idea because ⅘ projects don’t get done because of lack of funding.

• It is important what state you are in

• Electricity prices vary between states

• Prices measured per kWh (kilowatt hour)

• Strategic partnerships are structured so that there WILL be business done with these clients

• PACE allows for multi-layered transactions

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
@Ubermensch

really appreciate the advice, for real, dunno why you would even get this detailed for anyone, especially someone trying to play in the same game (unless you are moving on to something bigger and grander). either way, for real man i cant thank all yall enough for helping out this much.

i signed with a manufacturer, the 5th one on that list you put in this thread. these guys are rare AF, and i guess i did it right or got lucky.

as for the non-compete, let me get back to you on that when i get the chance. i looked over the agreement on friday, and i dont remember seeing anything that resembles that, but once i get the chance to, i will for sure. the thing is it might be just a little bit before i do, as something personal came up and im sort of hundreds of miles away from it right now.

Last edited:

OVOvince

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Oct 18, 2014
Btw @Ubermensch

Since I'm dealing with this non compete, either if it's in my contract or not or if it might be in future contracts I make with other suppliers of other products.... What is my negotiation strength?

Pipeline?

Relationship trust?

Skills/abilities?

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014
@Ubermensch to @OVOvince Part 4: Commit to Nobody
https://soundcloud.com/axiom-403344048/voice00244

Notes:
  • Training you like a client right now

• There is nobody that has superior knowledge in applicable ways

• Here to make you money

• Grant Cardone talks about how he doesn’t care about “competition” getting in his industry because he’s on the top of his game

• Construction is a $10 trillion industry -- the more smart people in the game the better

• Always looking for opportunities to team up and make deals

• When selling a smart client, the client is going to get multiple prices (at least 3) -- so you need multiple groups

• You need to be the guy they go to for all three bids

• Follow 48 Laws of Power and commit to nobody

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
Found this for my noob robots!

How To Make $100,000 in 2016

Do you want to make 6 figures this year but have:

* No Skills
* No Knowledge
* And no connections?

If so, then this is for you!

If you follow these steps to a tee you can turn 200 bucks into 100k (minimum) in 2016:

Phase 1

1) Buy the software ‘scrapebox’
2) Watch youtube tutorial on how to scrape phone numbers / start scraping for google search [city][business]
3) Locate legitimate affiliate offer that you, yourself would buy (perfect example “evoice”)

Notes:
a) FTC’s “do not call” list does not protect B2B calls
b) Use small-med biz like lawyer, carwash, strip club, dentist, construction etc. When you factor in additional permutations like dui, divorce, worker comp (lawyers) you will see just how many options you have
c) Execute. Do not train, do not write a script, just do it (do study the product your selling, however). I would listen to gangster rap and then start burning through numbers

You have 30k+ numbers, do not waste time trying to win over someone who doesn’t want the product. Also, don’t waste time on the secretaries. The time:reward ratio is infinitively better if you’re a prick.

Tried and true line for getting past secretaries:

“This is [X]. Can i speak to [boss] please.” Sound annoyed, make it sound like an order. When she asks the reason for the call just say its urgent and repeat line one. After doing this a few dozen times you’ll actually start getting mad when they inconvenience you. The power trip is real.

Its like picking up chicks – don’t waste time on high-maint when there are single/horny ones around the corner. Call, get past the gate keeper, then say whats up to the decision maker tell him what your selling and ask if he wants it.

If you have a sweet offer, thousands of people on your list have thought about it at one time or another. I would buy the offer I mentioned above if you called me and sounded confident.

Phase 2
Repeat process with your own offer. Keep it all in house. Hire additional callers using craigslist or PUA forums because those guys are hungry as F-K.

Bonus points for rebills.

Notes:
a) Use 1099-misc forms for any caller you pay over $600
b) Your service needs to be somewhat expensive with good margins cause its hard to find callers for anything less than $100/conversion because people hate cold calling (except PUAs, seriously those guys stopped caring a long time ago)
c) If you don’t have at least an LLC by this point GET ONE

If you do exactly what I just said you will be rich, I promise. Good luck.

Source: mk @ http://wallstreetplayboys.com/highlights-from-twitter-and-additional-details/

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Found this for my noob robots!

How To Make $100,000 in 2016

Do you want to make 6 figures this year but have:

* No Skills
* No Knowledge
* And no connections?

If so, then this is for you!

If you follow these steps to a tee you can turn 200 bucks into 100k (minimum) in 2016:

Phase 1

1) Buy the software ‘scrapebox’
2) Watch youtube tutorial on how to scrape phone numbers / start scraping for google search [city][business]
3) Locate legitimate affiliate offer that you, yourself would buy (perfect example “evoice”)

Notes:
a) FTC’s “do not call” list does not protect B2B calls
b) Use small-med biz like lawyer, carwash, strip club, dentist, construction etc. When you factor in additional permutations like dui, divorce, worker comp (lawyers) you will see just how many options you have
c) Execute. Do not train, do not write a script, just do it (do study the product your selling, however). I would listen to gangster rap and then start burning through numbers

You have 30k+ numbers, do not waste time trying to win over someone who doesn’t want the product. Also, don’t waste time on the secretaries. The time:reward ratio is infinitively better if you’re a prick.

Tried and true line for getting past secretaries:

“This is [X]. Can i speak to [boss] please.” Sound annoyed, make it sound like an order. When she asks the reason for the call just say its urgent and repeat line one. After doing this a few dozen times you’ll actually start getting mad when they inconvenience you. The power trip is real.

Its like picking up chicks – don’t waste time on high-maint when there are single/horny ones around the corner. Call, get past the gate keeper, then say whats up to the decision maker tell him what your selling and ask if he wants it.

If you have a sweet offer, thousands of people on your list have thought about it at one time or another. I would buy the offer I mentioned above if you called me and sounded confident.

Phase 2
Repeat process with your own offer. Keep it all in house. Hire additional callers using craigslist or PUA forums because those guys are hungry as F-K.

Bonus points for rebills.

Notes:
a) Use 1099-misc forms for any caller you pay over $600
b) Your service needs to be somewhat expensive with good margins cause its hard to find callers for anything less than $100/conversion because people hate cold calling (except PUAs, seriously those guys stopped caring a long time ago)
c) If you don’t have at least an LLC by this point GET ONE

If you do exactly what I just said you will be rich, I promise. Good luck.

Source: mk @ http://wallstreetplayboys.com/highlights-from-twitter-and-additional-details/

https://www.import.io/ <--- BOOM!
Scraper + Auto Dialler man.

Any tips on how to find a good affiliate offer? There is a tonne of trash out there.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
https://www.import.io/ <--- BOOM!
Scraper + Auto Dialler man.

Any tips on how to find a good affiliate offer? There is a tonne of trash out there.

No idea @welshmin,

Just stumbled upon this as I was reading the blog.

Seems like a good starting point for someone brand new. Thought it was interesting.

Fox

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
Forum Sponsor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
690%
Aug 19, 2015
Europe
Next time Ubermensch likes one of my posts all I am going to hear is 'MUUHAHAHAHA Right! Right! look, like (insert tangent)...'

Good podcast, I like the unrefined approach. Tones of good points in here.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
No idea @welshmin,

Just stumbled upon this as I was reading the blog.

Seems like a good starting point for someone brand new. Thought it was interesting.

No worries mate, great great starting point. Thank you for posting.

Commission crowd is also a website i've used to get in contact with some businesses looking for sales reps. It doesn't have a lot of users currently though.

You can even make commission on getting businesses to sign up to use it to look for reps!

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
@Ubermensch

Thank you for your posts in the forum the past several months, and for this thread.

You've caused me to step back and re-evaluate where and how I've been applying my energy. I've been focused on scale, but you've got me thinking about magnitude... and I think focusing on magnitude will be a more effective use of my time.

I will have something to contribute to this thread in a month or two.

wolfie

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Mar 10, 2015
Scottsdale
If you're gonna use scrapebox, learn how to scrape your own proxies with it just to be safe so you dont get ur IP banned.

Also yes affiliate offers are awful on clickbank and shit. Maybe try looking up businesses that you can partner with and sell their products for them if they're in B2b. Just structure a deal with em. I have a meeting with a financial planner client later today. Maybe I can structure an affilate deal with him where he pays me $300 for every client I can bring him, on TOP of the work im doing for him now. (since I live in scottsdale it couldnt be that difficult to find wealthy ppl)

Just a thought.

NickS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 23, 2015
I love this thread. Listened to episode one. I already read SPIN Selling after a guy who sells cars (and now solar panels) recommended it. Excited to read Rainmaker.

Recently I got a job selling a 40 euro product door to door for 25% commission, just for the experience. I'm in my third year of college so it's the best I can legally get.

Last edited:

NickS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 23, 2015
Am I looking for "How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients" by Jeffrey J. Fox or Rainmaker by Russ Alan Prince? Or are they somehow the same? The latter is very hard to find it seems. (Here in Europe)

Last edited:

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Am I looking for "How to Become a Rainmaker: The Rules for Getting and Keeping Customers and Clients" by Jeffrey J. Fox or Rainmaker by Russ Alan Prince? Or are they somehow the same? The latter is very hard to find it seems. (Here in Europe)

That's the one mate, I was only able to find an audio book. It's only short, but it is rare.

Congrats on getting some experience, focus on banging it out and then moving on to bigger deals ASAP though. 25% commiss on a $40 product is barely worth your time. At least aim for a higher dollar item, or a subscription model.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Hey guys, any new progress from any one?

Close any deals lately?

I'll start. My team and I are almost finished closing 3 accounts that could each net 7 figures over the course of this year. It's signing time, baby.

@Ubermensch
@Disruptor
@welshmin
@Thiago Machado
@Fox
@freedomchaser
@Cyriex
@TheNextTrump
@MikeAU
@Kingmaker
@Silverhawk851

Hey, got signed up with a web dev provider (large) to sell both in US and AU markets. Day and Night baby. Made my first sales calls last week, no luck. The focus is on refining and honing the offer to be more attractive. As well as continuing to build a list. Focusing on one industry at a time for now. Currently, landscaping companies to sell websites to. An auto dialer would help too, gotta bump those numbers up.

Local focus is on building a reputation and brand, we have a community website being built which we expect to have 5-10k views per month. Then ride the wave of "innovation" and start-ups my home state is trying to build. These will be higher $ value web sales, 10k+ with ongoing support.

NickS

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
68%
Aug 23, 2015
Congrats on getting some experience, focus on banging it out and then moving on to bigger deals ASAP though. 25% commiss on a $40 product is barely worth your time. At least aim for a higher dollar item, or a subscription model.

Thanks, man. Yeah it's just a job while I'm in uni. Beats flipping burgers or being a cashier (pays better too.)

I'm really enamoured by solar, isolation, LED technologies. Energy efficiency. Would love selling that kind of stuff, if we're talking big ticket.

welshmin

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Feb 4, 2016
Brisbane, Australia
Thanks, man. Yeah it's just a job while I'm in uni. Beats flipping burgers or being a cashier (pays better too.)

I'm really enamoured by solar, isolation, LED technologies. Energy efficiency. Would love selling that kind of stuff, if we're talking big ticket.

Selling solar panels door-to-door is pretty common I think. I haven't looked into it, but it seems like a low barrier to entry. Take a look around your city/town?

You'd only need to sell one to make the same commission as several hundred, or even thousand, sales of the lower item.

Thiago Machado

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
May 20, 2014
That's the one mate, I was only able to find an audio book. It's only short, but it is rare.

Which one?

Never saw an audiobook version. Just may have to get it :)

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
I have no idea how I missed this thread until today... Just spent a few hours reading and digesting it. Listened to the first few podcasts and have the others queued up for tomorrow morning. The timing couldn't be better. I've just started to dip my toe into the sales waters and this is all solid, actionable advice. Seriously, ubermensch should be charging for this. I'm uncharacteristically excited about the immediate future. Thanks are due all around to everyone who has posted above me.

RahKnee

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
120%
May 27, 2013
A thought that occurred to me while listening to some of the sound cloud files:

@Ubermensch mentions that there are utility companies that will provide rebates to customers who upgrade to more energy efficient consumption. He also mentions putting together packages like solar, window films, and LEDs all in one sale. Why not add in electricity sales from one of these providers as well? Throw in a 10 year contract with a provider that will give a rebate on the upgrades as well. More $$$ in your pocket and you're making it difficult for a lot of people to say "no".

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014

@Ubermensch mentions that there are utility companies that will provide rebates to customers who upgrade to more energy efficient consumption. He also mentions putting together packages like solar, window films, and LEDs all in one sale. Why not add in electricity sales from one of these providers as well? Throw in a 10 year contract with a provider that will give a rebate on the upgrades as well. More $$$ in your pocket and you're making it difficult for a lot of people to say "no".
Exactly. Up-selling doesn't just apply to B2C markets. Anything that could benefit the client could and should be wrapped into a nice, neat package.

Given the over-saturation of the electricity market, the best way to sell energy these days is with a client that you're already working with.

axiom

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
287%
Dec 6, 2014

This is a great connection.

@Ubermensch was worried that this thread wasn't getting through to people, but it looks like some of you are really beginning to understand the tremendous opportunities in the construction industry.

The key is being able to make those million-dollar connections. @Cyriex

Here's a short response to @RahKnee's post that @Ubermensch and I recorded:

Ubermensch and Axiom Respond to Rahknee

Cliff Notes:
  • It takes some guys 20 threads to make the connections that RahKnee just made.

• The beauty of construction is that it’s related to these other industries (real estate, energy)

• You should be tracking customers’ electricity and natural gas usage

• Make sure they’re always buying strategically in ways that produce savings long terms

• 10 Year energy contract may be too long

• It depends on your relationship with the client

• In @Ubermensch’s experience selling Fortune 1000 clients, you have to be reasonable with fees and terms

• Subtle nuance -- the utility company gives the rebate, not the provider

• In deregulated states like New York, Texas, Illinois, Ohio, Pennsylvania, etc., you’ve got private suppliers competing over business (100s of them, and even more broker)

• The utility companies are forced by the feds to provide incentives for using less energy

• Be aware that when you deal with the utility companies, the people you’re dealing with are not incentivized to perform

• On the private side, the people you work with are hungry

• Energy is the most legitimate “underworld” business out there

• You’re doing business at the highest level, yet most people do not know how the industry is structured.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.