The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Every 25 Year Old Needs to See This Chart... (Uh, no...)

jesseissorude

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
214%
Jun 12, 2014
Nashville
Also, a huge HUGE problem with this graph that JP Morgan (who wrote the article) don't want you to realize:

Saving $5k a year isn't a big deal nowadays. But that $5k 40 years ago was the equivalent to $21,300 in today's money. Saving that much is not impossible, but downright herculean for most middle-class families.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia
What a terrible way to live life

I know right lol!
Slowlane investing towards wealth at an old age...I have an aunt who is knocked out by Alzheimer's. Talk about wealth in her context, and that's misery for you!
Wealth is best enjoyed young.

And the context that chart exposes is the actual level of greed our society is subjected to. It's money, money, money not needs, needs, needs. Where is the humanity in that?

This is why I don't buy finance books anymore. Most of them are just basic sales-pullers or fluff. Maybe the only thing I'll touch closest to investing is real estate, but then again, I think it's more of a business.

PoGOOD

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
179%
Jul 4, 2014
Warsaw, Poland
I don't know what rate they are using, but any investment type worth their salt will tell you that, in the coming years, the S&P 500 will be *lucky* to return 6%-7% per year on average. Take out inflation of say 3% and the results are even worse.

Oh, and in any sort of retirement account, you are giving the government 50+ years to figure out how to get that money. I have no doubt that those in their 20s and 30s will see something happen when they are in their retirement years that will suck out any sort of value they got from their investments.

Also, if you can't touch the money without permission, it isn't yours.

Look at Shadowstats - 3% inflation is just a wet dream of a politician. Reality is closer to 12-15% p.a.

Wysłane z iPhone za pomocą Tapatalk Pro

_Master_Shake

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
234%
Nov 28, 2016
Illinois
That's why I started at 24 :smoking:

Well that and my company offers 100% match up to 6% of my salary. Couldn't pass that up, no one I know who works in corporate gets that offered anymore. The days of the GM/Ford/Chrysler pensions are gone... :oops:

EvanOkanagan

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Aug 2, 2013
What kind of 25 year olds get excited with a chart like this?

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
That's why I started at 24 :smoking:

Well that and my company offers 100% match up to 6% of my salary. Couldn't pass that up, no one I know who works in corporate gets that offered anymore. The days of the GM/Ford/Chrysler pensions are gone... :oops:

I approve of your avatar

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.