The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Even I Was Shocked By The Secrets I Learned When I Saw MJ Tutoring Obama

IceCreamKid

With Great Power Comes Great Electricity Bill
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Today is my 28th birthday so I’m going to give you guys a special flavor of ice cream today. This is some knowledge that can help take you to the next level.

If there’s anything I learned from the mindset of big contributors here, it’s that you’ve got to sell the dream. Who are the masters of that? MJ and Obama. Fortunately you can follow their very simple, but subtle formula to become great at selling the vision that your customers have for themselves too.

Quick note: I will delete this message if this thread turns into a political debate. I don’t care about politics and am only using this as an example to illustrate some lessons.

Do you guys remember Obama’s first presidential campaign? I was a Junior in college at the time and nobody seemed to really care about politics. College is about getting drunk and partying. Messed up Monday, twisted Tuesday, wasted Wednesday, thirsty Thursday, f*cked up Friday, shitfaced Saturday. Rest on Sunday.

Suddenly this African American dude strolls onto the scene with so much style and flavor that he ends up raising more money than any other presidential candidate in U.S. history, ultimately claiming his title as President.

How did he do this? By utilizing the same psychology that MJ used to turn this forum into a movement. Both MJ and Obama created movements.

Here’s how they did it:

Inspire the hopes and deepest desires of your customer:

Obama gave everybody hope by telling Americans that change was coming to America. Everyone was tired, broke, and feeling like the 1% was punching them in the gut. He told us that he could provide what our deepest desires were: increased wages, better healthcare, etc. People were mesmerized and hypnotized by the guy. Tell people that you can give them their deepest desires and many will sell everything they own to get it. Sell the dream.

MJ inspires everyone’s hope by telling us there is an alternative to the rat race. He promises a path to freedom that doesn’t involve sacrificing the next 40 years of our lives to some boss. He knows our deepest desires and provides a light at the end of the tunnel with this fastlane path. Hope for the hopeless.

Relax the fears of your customer by giving them someone to lean on:

Obama made you feel comfortable like he was your friend. Made himself appear that he had your back! You were afraid that the next President would screw up the country, but Obama was different. Black dude, played basketball, chilled with the regular Joe the plumber. A new sheriff in town. His signature line was “Change is coming to America”.

This forum has a similar effect. People try to lean on others in order to calm their fears. The majority want the entire path laid out in front of them before they take action. MJ, please tell me what to do with my life. Please tell me all of the steps, MJ. Give me examples. I don’t know what to do. Will this idea work? Just tell me, please. The reality is that there is no guaranteed business, but not trying will cause you to fail by default. You will learn more in 1 day of action than 30 days of reading examples btw, or your money back!

Create a common enemy:

Nothing unites a group of people quite like creating a common enemy. Obama banded his niche together by focusing hard on the wealthy as the enemy. He removed responsibility from us by telling us that all of our failures weren’t our fault, it was the fault of the 1%. He riled up people’s deepest anger and bitterness by creating an enemy. Hitler did the same thing. Powerful stuff.

The enemy that MJ created is a bit less tangible: the 40 year work path, the a**hole boss, the rush hour traffic, the shitty pay, all of those little elements of shit life combine to create the enemy that unites the fastlaners on this forum. We are also united by our dream for freedom.

So there you have it…the basic elements to create a movement for your business. There are actually a few more elements to use, but I need to leave the house to evict some tenants from one of my rentals. What a terrible way to celebrate my birthday haha eviction is never fun.

Take action daily. Get the ice cream.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
Happy 28th birthday man! It's a nice day today, be sure to enjoy it! Very insightful post too.

"Change is coming to..." I bet MJ can use that template and fill it in with something good/relevant to us too ;) I can't think of anything clever right now though :oops:

That punch line reminded me of something sort of off topic, but not too much...

"Let's Get Ready To Rumble!" The guy who came up with that and trademarked it, Michael Buffer, is apparently worth $400 million.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-athletes/richest-boxers/michael-buffer-net-worth/

throttleforward

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
278%
Oct 30, 2009
Washington DC
As a speechwriter my coworkers and I study his speeches closely. What set his speeches apart during the initial campaign was that he sold the benefits and not the features quite well. Hope and Change, lofty aspirational language, etc. "Imagine a nation where everyone has a fair chance"...language like that allows everyone to envision whatever they imagine that to be, evoking positive emotions without having to describe exactly how he would make that happen.

He also spent a tremendous amount of time and energy in his speeches describing what regular folks were experiencing in an attempt to demonstrate that he was one of them, without explicit saying it and thus losing credibility (because let's face it, senators aren't like us). Language like "people are hurting...people are tired...people are xxx", hoping that the audience member goes "hey, I'm one of those people...he gets me/us." It also allows people him to speak to the entire audience effectively without specifically segmenting and then communicating separately to all the constituencies in his audience. It like the difference between saying "people are tired of losing their jobs" and "factory workers, small-time farmers and fishermen are tired of losing their jobs"...everyone can insert themselves in the first group whether they are losing their jobs or not.

Happy birthday @IceCreamKid !

Gale4rc

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
107%
Sep 23, 2013
*Sunday funday - arguably the best one (or at least my favorite )

mindfulimmortal

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
236%
Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas
A great saying is if you consume time add value - you my friend Ice Cream Kid add ALOT of value in short bursts of time. Can't believe your only 28 with all that wisdom! May your birthday be as good to you as you are to us! Thanks brother!

XOthermic

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
51%
May 12, 2011
California
immediately came up with three creative ideas. Nothing you said was mind blowing or new but IT is always great to hear it again. Can't give you reps right now for some reason but will l8 fursure....

PeeVee

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Dec 17, 2013
Minneapolis, MN
Great post. This has been used many times throughout history. Anybody remember the "Stop Kony" movement that took over the world a couple of years ago? The leader of the movement was arrested for being drunk and masturbating in public and suddenly the push for "Stop Kony" actually stopped but so many people heavily invested their emotions and actions into this.

I admire anyone that can do it so we'll that we don't even realize it is happening. Hell..... I now love Ice Cream too :)

@IceCreamKid.... great post and happy birthday bro. I agree with @mindfulimmortal, you have a ton of wisdom for 28.

Thriftypreneur

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
156%
Jun 8, 2013
As a speechwriter my coworkers and I study his speeches closely. What set his speeches apart during the initial campaign was that he sold the benefits and not the features quite well.

I think this is a really key point. No one, and I mean no one, wants to hear about the work involved to achieve a goal. All they want are the results.

How many friends have you discussed some solid business plans to--after they asked you specifically for advice--only to watch them do nothing with them? They'll sit and wonder about your income, tell you how lucky you are, and listen to how you spend your 7-figure life, but the second you mention the work involved to get there, it's like turning off a tv... Hearing about work, sacrifice and sweat isn't romantic, people don't want to hear it--much less want to do it.

As long as you sell the results, and not the work, you can really sell anything. I think Obama and his team illustrated that to perfection, as does an uncountable amount of billion dollar companies out there.

G

Guest3722A

@IceCreamKid all I can say is wow. Maybe I'm misinterpreting but I am really learning a lot from your use of copy! The opener of this thread was awesome! So far I (think) I see three ninja tricks. Was this intended? (if so, are there more? no need to point them out) And happy b-day on your 28th. Keep kickin a$$ and it would be really cool to see you turn up the intensity even more!!! My hopes are on your side man that this all manifests right into your business. Too much is just enough!

Vote4cake

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
41%
Dec 28, 2013
Arlington, VA
Happy 28th birthday, IceCreamKid. You surely do know how to create great quality posts, eh? Everyday when I visit your
The Astonishing Secrets That zen******* Never Told You…Exposed! thread, I learn something completely new. The very least I have to say to you is thank you so much.

. .. .. .. . got any gifts for your birthday??

Last edited by a moderator:

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
So far I (think) I see three ninja tricks. Was this intended? (if so, are there more? no need to point them out)

I like throwing little nuggets of wisdom into my posts. There are definitely more than 3 here.

Keep kickin a$$ and it would be really cool to see you turn up the intensity even more!

The sad reality is that the real meat and information never makes it to the public forum. The real stuff gets exchanged over Skype and FB between many active members here. You can thank characters like the guy who made a clone of JasonR's business and the girl who ripped off Biophase's soap company.

I think one of the key points that people don't realize is that this forum is far more than a source of information. It's a playground to meet new people and build relationships with those who share similar dreams and ambitions.

Relationships increase your speed DRASTICALLY.

Everyone wants to hide in their room and lie to themselves about how productive they're being. It's sooooo hard to build a business alone. No one is Superman.

Enki

on-ramp
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Jun 18, 2013
Cleveland, Oh USA
Everyone wants to hide in their room and lie to themselves about how productive they're being.

Thats me all the way. I'm preparing for a big move though. I finally have my fiancee onboard. I asked her who did she now that she asked for 10k that they could afford to give it (Not if that they would, but if they could afford). Her answer is unequivocally NO ONE! It was dead proof to her that we are surrounded by people in a poverty consciousness. My fiancee wanted to write children's books and she started on it. I read a few of them and they are really good. They are all stories to do with events/tasks that kids encounter. (Bed time, brushing teeth, eating vegetable). Her Mom dogged her, her sister dogged her. In the past you needed to write consistently and hope for a lucky break through a publisher. Now if you can pump out books on schedule (1 a week, 1 a month etc.) for a few years, It's definitely a snowball. END RANT lol Sorry OP.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
happy birthday, any wishes?

If I could have one wish, I want the genie to allow me to stop sucking. The older I get, the more I realize how little I know. Then I start discovering that I don't know what I don't know. It's an enlightening and humbling experience at the same time. I now understand why you have a difficult time mentoring a youngster. They can't hear the wisdom in between the lines because they're too busy telling you how the world works. Dear God, when will I stop sucking? hahah...I can only keep pressing forward.

If I could have two wishes, I'd like to learn more about distribution models. As far as I can tell, the most commonly known one is buying wholesale then selling retail either in physical stores or online. But what about buying wholesale then selling to wholesalers sorta like that one INSIDERS Call? What other models are out there? I'm craving that knowledge...probably won't put it into action because I want to give my all to my current project, but it'd be nice to know what's out there.

Do you guys have any resources for where I can study distribution models?

Last edited:

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
Great post... is there a way you could summarize it into a one sentence persuasion course ?;)

Happy belated birthday.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Great post... is there a way you could summarize it into a one sentence persuasion course ?;)

I could, but it would take me forever. I usually average 1 hour for every meaningful post that I write here...this is how it works:

Write post.

Delete everything because I'm not satisfied with it.

Write post again.

Delete some parts because I'm not satisfied with it.

Write post again. Satisfied.

That's why I haven't posted too many tutorial posts here in a while. It takes foreverrr.

jpa0827

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Feb 13, 2013
Cleveland, Ohio
I'd like to learn more about distribution models. As far as I can tell, the most commonly known one is buying wholesale then selling retail either in physical stores or online. But what about buying wholesale then selling to wholesalers sorta like that one INSIDERS Call? What other models are out there? I'm craving that knowledge...

Do you guys have any resources for where I can study distribution models?

Happy belated B-Day ICK!

That is something I have been looking for as well. I'll make sure to let you know if I ever find any good resources during my searches.

Just realized this was my 100th post. Guess I should give you some birthday money for all your contributions. +100 bucks for being a great guy :)

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Happy belated b-day @IceCreamKid, here's to another great year for you!! I have a feeling that its going to be huge!

Thanks bro. I just have to maintain focus and see my current project through to the end. No lie, I get new ideas on a daily basis...sometimes I'll get excited about one and ask JackEdwards what he thinks about it and usually the idea gets shut down like a Mervyn's hahah. That's the neat thing about having mentors with a ton more experience than you...they see the blind spots that you don't see and ultimately save you a lot of wasted nights spent on a project that was doomed from the beginning.

Hope your dad and brother are doing well out there in NY. Holler if you need anything.

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
149%
Oct 20, 2012
I could, but it would take me forever. I usually average 1 hour for every meaningful post that I write here...this is how it works:

Write post.

Write post again.

That's why I haven't posted too many tutorial posts here in a while. It takes foreverrr.

LOL.... Okay... someone has already done it for ya ;)

"People will do anything for those who encourage their dreams, justify their failures,
allay their fears, confirm their suspicions and help them throw rocks at their
enemies."

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
There is a big difference:

One is real and can add value to your life.

the other one was deception.

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Write post.
Write post again.

This is very similar to a recommended copy-writing strategy: Write much, much, much more than you need to about the subject at hand. Then distill as necessary.

This way you take your overly long copy, remove the garbage and you end up with your long copy. Then you distill it down a bit more to your regular-length copy, then distill it down to short copy. Then, when you've taken almost everything out except the absolutely more important and crucial points, you have your elevator pitch and/or headline.

Television and radio commercials also do this quite regularly. They film the 1 minute commercial. Then they condense it into their 30 second commercial, then their 15 second slot. So it goes from "Look a this, it has all these benefits brought to you by all these features and testimonials" to "look at this, and all these benefits brought to you by these features" to "look at this and all it's benefits". Then you may even see the transit poster ad that is just "Look at this".

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If I could have one wish, I want the genie to allow me to stop sucking.

Just writing this down or verbalizing a statement like this creates a negative energy. None of us need to know everything now and we never will. Just view your direction and keep moving without the negative feelings.

IceCreamKid

EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
2,183%
Jun 8, 2010
California
Just writing this down or verbalizing a statement like this creates a negative energy. None of us need to know everything now and we never will. Just view your direction and keep moving without the negative feelings.

Ahhh I was hesitant to list out that birthday wish because of the risk that it would be misunderstood. Trust me, I don't wake up in the morning saying, "Gosh I suck so much. I don't want to try because I suck".

I mentioned the statement in reference to one of zen*******'s posts from his golden nuggets thread:

you will fail, you will suck, and it will take a while for that shit to stop happening on a regular basis. TRUST THAT THIS IS TRUE and life will be easier for you. (the upside is, at some point you stop sucking, and start really shining! )

Bad things that I didn't plan for popped up in my business last week, but since I understand the fact that sucking always precedes the phase of greatness, I have absolutely no problem with it. Just gotta keep pressing forward. It's a neat little process.

There is a lot of power in understanding that sucking is part of the process.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.