The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Even Dane Maxwell Would Be Amazed - Creating A SaaS Business with NO Money Like In The Foundation

A topic related to SAAS or APPs

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Okay guys I'm really sorry for not posting. This thread is also for accountability and I haven't been following the process the last few days.
The reason for that is simple and explains my earlier problem why I don't work efficient when my mate isn't around: Balancing.

My gf is on vacation for the next 3 weeks and I spent much time with her the last week. My motivation to work is extremely diminished when she is around and I couldn't get myself up to do something. I realized I need to set priorities but didn't know how.

Then I picked up the book The ONE Thing by Gary Keller which deals with my problem and it will be better.

Today I was about to go to the golf club when literally it started to rain as soon as I was outside. It feels like an excuse but I am going to find another thing to do now (pretty hard if you are in the idea extraction phase and the only really efficient thing would be talking to the staff..).

Harti

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Day 33: Visiting the local golf club

Today I have been at the local golf club and talked to some people. Mainly I wanted to get an overview and myself out of the house. Unfortunately the staff member(s) I was looking for aren't there today but I got a business card with phone and E-Mail to contact them. I will call tomorrow and try to get to them during work.

Additionally my friend finally told me that he doesn't want to continue our project. Thus an accountability source is gone, I am totally on my own now and it feels a little bit scary.

It doesn't make it easier that the only really productive thing would be to talk to the people because there is no abundance of them here - there are only two golf clubs nearby that I could visit. I would have to rely on phone and after the reference in the logistics industry I am not really confident in that and afraid of rejection and stagnation. This might turn into a self fulfilling prophecy..

I will also shoot the photo for Xing today. Maybe networking through that will turn things around.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Harti

tafy

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Aug 21, 2013
UK
Finding a need is difficult indeed isnt it?

It is even harder to make a product for an industry that you havent worked in or not passionate about

Where are you working now? Look for needs in your field of expertise first. Ask your boss about what he would like to see one day if technology allows it.

My example is hotels, the future guests can check in online and can use their mobiles to enter the room, pay their stay online and check out online, order room service etc.
Anyways lets look at your market of golf

So Golf... Online booking will become normal sooner or later like all industries. I would do this, as a startup you can disrupt the market easily.

Think of things that will save them money, your app could handle all membership and credit cards details. People can join online and renew their membership. You can bill monthly or yearly and send an invoice to their email. I bet this shit is costing them one staff for 2-3 days a week just for membership, invoicing, talking on the phone, chasing payments etc.

I bet they got one staff just handling bookings of tee offs, managing times available and taking phone calls and stuff. Your members will have card details already on account in the app so they can book and pay online easily, or get the playing time charged at the end of the month onto their card with invoice generated automatically

Think of your app as having one person doing both jobs so easily its a piece of cake. sell this to the golf courses. They will save 20k+ a year and your app will cost 1-2k a year.

D

Deleted25186

Day 33: Visiting the local golf club

Today I have been at the local golf club and talked to some people. Mainly I wanted to get an overview and myself out of the house. Unfortunately the staff member(s) I was looking for aren't there today but I got a business card with phone and E-Mail to contact them. I will call tomorrow and try to get to them during work.

Additionally my friend finally told me that he doesn't want to continue our project. Thus an accountability source is gone, I am totally on my own now and it feels a little bit scary.

It doesn't make it easier that the only really productive thing would be to talk to the people because there is no abundance of them here - there are only two golf clubs nearby that I could visit. I would have to rely on phone and after the reference in the logistics industry I am not really confident in that and afraid of rejection and stagnation. This might turn into a self fulfilling prophecy..

I will also shoot the photo for Xing today. Maybe networking through that will turn things around.

Any comments are highly appreciated.

Harti

Hey Harti.
My name is Alan. I am 18 years old and live in Germany. I am also looking into starting a SaaS business.
Where are you located? I live in NRW. Maybe it would be possible to meet up and try to attack this together.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Finding a need is difficult indeed isnt it?
Yeah. I would never have thought that THIS will be a problem.

Where are you working now? Look for needs in your field of expertise first. Ask your boss about what he would like to see one day if technology allows it.
Finished school a month ago and didn't get a job until now.

So Golf... Online booking will become normal sooner or later like all industries. I would do this, as a startup you can disrupt the market easily.
Think of things that will save them money, your app could handle all membership and credit cards details. People can join online and renew their membership. You can bill monthly or yearly and send an invoice to their email. I bet this shit is costing them one staff for 2-3 days a week just for membership, invoicing, talking on the phone, chasing payments etc.
I bet they got one staff just handling bookings of tee offs, managing times available and taking phone calls and stuff. Your members will have card details already on account in the app so they can book and pay online easily, or get the playing time charged at the end of the month onto their card with invoice generated automatically
Think of your app as having one person doing both jobs so easily its a piece of cake. sell this to the golf courses. They will save 20k+ a year and your app will cost 1-2k a year.
Thank you for writing this. It opened up my mind for more again. :)

Hey Harti.
My name is Alan. I am 18 years old and live in Germany. I am also looking into starting a SaaS business.
Where are you located? I live in NRW. Maybe it would be possible to meet up and try to attack this together.
I'm in Bavaria. :/

Harti

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Day 34: Existing Software + Top Performer

I would recommend everyone the book The ONE Thing by Gary Keller. Was incredible productive today which I definitely owe to this book. :)

No big words are needed: Basically I researched existing golf course software online and made a list of the areas they cover for half a day - found some interesting trends.
In the afternoon I spend a hour crawling the websites of the local golf courses (about 5 I could visit by car) and finding people to add in Xing.

Tomorrow will be about thinking intensely about ICKs advice in this thread. Since my interest for golf has been awakened, creating a website might be something I could get passionate about. I will also expand my Xing list and research how I can setup my profile to make the best impression possible. Yesterday I shot a photo for that.

It feels like I get started again. Thank you all for your contribution. :)

Harti

Last edited by a moderator:

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
The true test of an entrepreneur is to keep going when others have given up, to do the things others won't, even when it appears fruitless.
Rep+, thank you.

Harti

Juhill

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Nov 22, 2011
Bozeman, MT
Just something to look into. I golf and am in a league of about 40 guys. We play every week and have different games and formats all of the time. It used to take about an hour for all of the team captains to get together at the end of the night and figure out scoring, day game winners, etc... (while everyone else was enjoying frosty beverages...)

Then this year a new app showed up on the scene called Golfgamebook. Once you get everyone in the app you create games with different formats (skins, stableford, low net, etc...) and add the players. It incorporates handicaps as well for accurate net scoring. Usually one guy in each group tracks the scores for the guys in their group in the app. It has literally changed everything. We now have:

- easy score tracking for a large group of guys
- real-time stats and game watching so you can see where you are sitting in the middle of a round
- notifications if someone gets an eagle or birdie (I recommend turning most notifications off)
- you can watch games as a spectator if there is a local tournament or something going on
- track your putts to see where you are really adding strokes

The game creators also have a group of customers giving them ideas and suggestions for updates. They are super responsive and are constantly updating it.

Just sharing this info as this kind of problem solving is an area where you can find a great business. Hope it helps!

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Day 35 + 36: Leads + JOB

So guys. Yesterday was again all about lead generation and thinking of how I could provide value to the golf course owner and presidents. I talked to @JasonR about it and his advice was to turn myself away from this project and expand my view on things - apparently something of my approach must be too "zoomed in". His tip was getting into affiliate marketing and learning something there first to build a nice base for creating an own business.
To be honest I had similar thoughts - I turned 19 a week ago and don't have many practical experiences (except 6 months working at a local supermarket). My life was full of school until now.

Coincidentally I got a commission based sales job offered today. I will get enough leads to call 50 people a day (or get called by them) and I have to sell SEO services. And all of this in english (only my second language).
It seems like a challenge and an excellent opportunity to gather some life experiences and I will definitely go for it. Not for the money (I think I would even do it for free) but to learn - I think this will unstifle me on the phone. And learning to sell will also ultimately help me in this business.

I won't give up on building a business but my focus will shift to the job and learning to SELL. :)

Harti

Joe Cassandra

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
509%
Jul 25, 2013
Woodstock, GA
I read in Forbes I believe that people are spending less on golf nowadays (due to how expensive it can get).

Yet, at the same time, there's never been more 65+ year olds in the history of the world. Could there be a specific niche [older golfers] you might be able to target?

It might take more research as most retired probably lost a bunch of their "safety net" aka 401ks in the recession, but perhaps in the next decade.

I get this thought just because during my call with Jack E. , he mentioned how there aren't that many people catering to the older people and thus if you can find a collection of old people somewhere that are underserved, you'll have a good market.

Good luck with the new job and selling, your English is good for being a 2nd language.

Harti

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jun 28, 2014
Guys, I got accepted in this years' Foundation class and I think this thread here was a major contribution to that. I am extremely excited and looking forward to it.

I will keep you updated as much as possible (/allowed), thank you all for your help. :)

Harti

francevalue

The Apostle
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
96%
Oct 29, 2019
(̶S̶t̶u̶c̶k̶ ̶i̶n̶)̶ France