The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ethical and Poor or ruthless and rich? My catch 22.

Hucryn077

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 19, 2014
Hi all. I know this guy (in-law) running a business terribly wrong, great idea but the man is lazy as hell. I know the market he is in quite well and know if you put some money and hard work in to the business you can easily make $ 8,000-00 per month on a passive contract (min 12 months contract). Now. ..I am in 2 minds (leaning towards ruthless), do I just keep with my usual business I have now and let this idea rest or do I start up a second company and run this business the same way I currently run business 1? I mean the right way ( you know, very little sleep, loads of stress, almost NO rest, and Profitable). The ethical thing to do would be to give advice to said other person (I have a feeling it wouldn't even be taken seriously as I tried before) or; I get my other business up and running asap (quietly) and knock this bitch out the park? Im not poor but sure as hell not in a position to own a couple of properties and fancy cars. Ps: I won't compete with the other bloke as he is just screwing around any case with no real effort to progressively build his business. Cheers from a sunny South - Africa

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Hucryn077

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 19, 2014
That's why I asked because I have a conscious and always do honest business. Catch 22

Hucryn077

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 19, 2014
No not at all. I was approached for a partnership in the same business about 5 years ago and accepted. However after seeing how things was done (mostly just having lunch all the time and not working) I walked out. About 2 months later the company closed down because they lost all their contracts due to poor (no) management. Fast forward 4 years company open again but I can see its going down the same path as nothing in the management or business model has been changed.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
So whats the problem. If you are not partners. You can go your own route and do it your way.

Build your own life. you cant worry about people all the time because few will do anything for you.

Also, try not to focus on others too much.

Worldisyours

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
83%
Oct 20, 2013
Also, being a ehtical business man is not easy. You will make less money in the short term. Also you will see the unethical ones fly by.

But the difference is, you will have the right people around you, and that is priceless

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
If you give him advice, it's not going to change his work ethic.
So you could give him advice to clear your conscious, and start your own business to get what's rightfully yours. Because chances are you'll do it better than him :)

And while I do believe in humanity and compassion, I'm not going to deny that to be successful in business it helps to be a little ruthless. Despite of how nice and gentle our first-world business practices may seem, let's not forget that most fortunes in the world were earned in hostile environments by guys with the hearts of great white sharks. I'm not saying to become a monster, but don't shy from taking an opportunity when it's there.

Saladin was known to be humane and compassionate, but he was humane and compassionate after he kicked his enemies' asses

Silverhawk851

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
482%
Sep 22, 2012
Toronto/Traveling
Depends on how much you value them in your life.

If they are more of a priority to keep in your life than business, don't do it.
If business is more of a priority, then just do it.

If you stil feel bad, Stop hanging out with them for 2 months. When you realize life goes on regardless of what they think, you will not care.

R

redshep

Trying to give your all to 2 businesses will result in both of them suffering. Let it go, you can't chase down every idea. Plus, if it was better than yours, you probably wouldn't be asking.

liquidglass

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 24, 2011
First a comment that's on topic.

In my opinion you should always (without destroying families of course) try to keep business and family separate in your mind. As a person you might not mind your inlaw and he might be a good guy. But in business as you stated he's lazy and won't take advice if it's given anyway. So what's wrong with simply doing it better than he is? I don't see anything unethical about you going after the same idea, otherwise we would have no competition in society. Plus competition might force him to do better or give up and move on to something more his speed.

ethical and rich, few of those around

Who says? Besides society, media, and slowlaners?

*I'm not attacking you as a person in this, but just the idea behind the statement*

I apologize if you didn't mean it the way I'm reading it, but it seems to echo what I hear slowlaners constantly say as an excuse to remain poor. Unless of course you can point out more examples of unethical mega wealthy people than ethical mega wealthy. My guess is that it's not possible to do so and instead is just a belief passed down and surrounding us as a whole.

Brian Tracy did a study on why people believe wealthy people are mean/unethical/etc. It honestly all came down the the perception in movies and tv being portrayed in the late 80's and 90's of wealthy people as the villain.

When he finally got down to the meat of it and asked various producers and writers why they chose this particular route to go the answer was simple: It's the only demographic that doesn't fight back when portrayed in a negative light. Just a little food for thought.

tekcraze

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
86%
Apr 21, 2011
Canada
If you take knowledge that he has given to you and use it to compete against him, I would consider that unethical. But if you already know the industry quite well, I don't see how it is unethical to enter and compete.

I do have to challenge your concept of the "right" way to do business though. No sleep+no rest+loads of stress=profitable. That can work...but I can't see how it is really worth it. To own a couple of houses and fancy cars? I know it takes a lot of effort to make things happen but I have always found bouncing myself off my own "rev limiter" causes burnout and makes me sick. When I shifted my thinking where focused work is more valuable than busy work, I found that it was easier to both make multiples more income and be happier.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Hucryn077

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
Jun 19, 2014
Thanks guys. I have made up my mind. It's only business, nothing more nothing personal. I weren't taught anything by the other person nor am I stealing a idea. ..just improving on a model that can work if someone is willing to take the time and effort to make it successful. @tekcraze currently I am running a mid sized construction company and I really work my arse off every day purely to the fact that I started this company with only R700-00 in my pocket ($68 us on current rand dollar exchange rate) and have been grinding for 6 years to make it a successful business. So in my mind there is no other way to run a business. ....exactly that to "run" a business. Not relaxing during weekdays and never loosing sight of the end target. Surely there is a easier way to manage my company but in South Africa business is tough....real tough and not for the weary and thats why I grind and grind and grind just to prove to myself that it can be done. 6 years ago I was broke as hell and didnt even understand how to change or fix a leaking tap but I saw an opportunity and learned how to do stuff. ....now we build structures working hand in hand with engineers and local government. So to me its worth it 1000 times over. Never been bothered to much about fancy stuf...to me its about putting enough away so I can enjoy retirement at 50. Thanks all.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.