The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

ESL Teacher trying to shift gears

Sinirad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Feb 23, 2018
Montreal
Hello everyone and greetings from Canada!

I’ve read “The Millionaire Fastlane ” and I’m looking forward to becoming a part of the fastlane forum community.

I wish there were more to say about me, but I’ve lived a pretty uneventful life. I’m 30 years old and straight out of university I started teaching English as a second language. For a long time I enjoyed working as an English teacher and the low income didn’t bother me much. However, last year a close family member passed away and I had to take some time off from work to deal with it. Not only was it a struggle to deal with the loss of income that was tied to my time, but when I was finally ready to return to work, there wasn’t a job left for me. I looked for jobs at other schools, but all of them would have me work low hours on low income because I needed “to pay my dues” and “work my way up.”

It was a huge wake-up call. A wall full of teacher awards and letters from thankful students meant nothing. I had convinced myself that I’d had a “real” job, but in reality I was just a contract worker close to living on the sidewalk.

To be honest I have no idea how I’m going to start a business or what the next big step is, but after reading “The Millionaire Fastlane ” my perspective has completely changed. I’ve started working with students directly and in the meantime I’m studying copy until I figure it out.

I’m curious to know, are there any other teachers turned fastlaners here on the forum?

Nonetheless, I’m happy to be here!

Thanks for reading!

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD

I’ve read “The Millionaire Fastlane ” and I’m looking forward to becoming a part of the fastlane forum community.

I wish there were more to say about me, but I’ve lived a pretty uneventful life. I’m 30 years old and straight out of university I started teaching English as a second language. For a long time I enjoyed working as an English teacher and the low income didn’t bother me much. However, last year a close family member passed away and I had to take some time off from work to deal with it. Not only was it a struggle to deal with the loss of income that was tied to my time, but when I was finally ready to return to work, there wasn’t a job left for me. I looked for jobs at other schools, but all of them would have me work low hours on low income because I needed “to pay my dues” and “work my way up.”

It was a huge wake-up call. A wall full of teacher awards and letters from thankful students meant nothing. I had convinced myself that I’d had a “real” job, but in reality I was just a contract worker close to living on the sidewalk.

To be honest I have no idea how I’m going to start a business or what the next big step is, but after reading “The Millionaire Fastlane ” my perspective has completely changed. I’ve started working with students directly and in the meantime I’m studying copy until I figure it out.

I’m curious to know, are there any other teachers turned fastlaners here on the forum?

Thanks for reading!

Greetings,
ESL teachers are in high demand in certain developing countries. The pay is good but the only problem is time. How about spending a year in these countries, building your brand and expanding customers via the web? Maybe building a network of in-person or virtual translators that serve businesses in any part of the world.

Sinirad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Feb 23, 2018
Montreal
Greetings,
ESL teachers are in high demand in certain developing countries. The pay is good but the only problem is time. How about spending a year in these countries, building your brand and expanding customers via the web? Maybe building a network of in-person or virtual translators that serve businesses in any part of the world.

That's an interesting idea! I worked for about a year teaching English overseas in Asia and really enjoyed it back then, but I will never go back to teaching in a language school. I’ve been thinking about going to Asia again, not specifically to teach students, but the low cost of living and the ease with which I can find students online will probably give me the freedom to figure it out. I’m also trying to learn Chinese, because even though I’m only a low beginner in Chinese, it’s already helped bring a lot of students my way.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Thanks for the intro Sinrad and welcome.

JoelM

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
160%
Feb 21, 2018
Maryland, MD
Yeah. I love the cost of leaving in Asia. But the potential for an exponential growth is the best. I hope you succeed.

DannyD

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
202%
Dec 1, 2017
Latin America
Hey man

I met some guys in a barber shop today

The barber himself teaches English to Chinese kids over the Internet to help pay bills

This other guy I met has teachers that work for him and teach English to business professionals (even VPs and stuff)

Maybe the latter could be a good idea if you want to do something with teaching that involves having a business (vs. being an employee - a teacher)

That is, have a bunch of teachers (like young people that want to travel but have a way to pay the bills - many of those) that work for you while you get the clients, etc. with Chinese language skills - online or off

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
I taught for 14 years in five different countries. I started six years in the States and after that went to Honduras, Colombia, and Taiwan for seven years at international schools. Most of my experience was as a P.E. teacher and coach, but also did a semester of teaching English in China which was pure hell.

I left education five years ago to try to become location independent. I'm getting closer and feel by 2019 I will be able to return to Colombia and work from where ever I lay my hat.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States

Former teacher here.

My realizations went something like this:

I'm 23, straight out of college, and I'm at the top of my career field. There is no moving up. My raises increase slower than the rate of inflation, so I'm getting paid less every year I work.

I taught band, so when you add in all the before/after school practices and evening/weekend events, I was making $8-9 an hour.

I sit in staff meetings to talk about our feelings and make posters, when all I really want to do is just go home and be with my family.

I can't piss when I want to, and when I do get to, I have to run down the hall so I can get back in time to greet the next class.

I can't leave the building without finding someone to replace me.

I'm one economic recession away from getting RIF'd and being either out of a job, or be doing 2 jobs for the price of one.

I made it out. Started an ecommerce business on the side. Worked on it in the evenings and in conference period. I quit my job when the business was paying twice what my salary was.

I hope you find something too.

Real Deal Denver

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
245%
Jan 13, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm 23, straight out of college, and I'm at the top of my career field. There is no moving up. My raises increase slower than the rate of inflation, so I'm getting paid less every year I work.

Great post Amp. But I don't understand how you can be at the top of your career field at only 23?

Unless you were the french fry commander at the Big Burger Barn?

Seriously - how could that be? At least you have a degree which can open doors for you. There are many jobs that I could win Olympic gold at, but - oh yeah - no degree - so I'm disqualified before I start.

del101

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jan 8, 2018
Hawaii
Welcome.

Teacher here. Also new to Fastlane. @amp0193's story is very inspiring. In addition to that, there are many folks on here who have inspiring stories and have also provided so much value to the forum. Learn from them.

In essence, keep growing.

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
Great post Amp. But I don't understand how you can be at the top of your career field at 23.

I was a teacher.

If I taught for 40 years, I would still be just that, a teacher.

Movements are lateral, not upwards.

Unless you move into administration, but F that.

Sinirad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Feb 23, 2018
Montreal
Former teacher here.

My realizations went something like this:

I taught band, so when you add in all the before/after school practices and evening/weekend events, I was making $8-9 an hour.

I sit in staff meetings to talk about our feelings and make posters, when all I really want to do is just go home and be with my family.

I can't piss when I want to, and when I do get to, I have to run down the hall so I can get back in time to greet the next class.

I can't leave the building without finding someone to replace me.

I'm one economic recession away from getting RIF'd and being either out of a job, or be doing 2 jobs for the price of one.

I made it out. Started an ecommerce business on the side. Worked on it in the evenings and in conference period. I quit my job when the business was paying twice what my salary was.

I hope you find something too.

Very inspiring story!

You're smart to have gotten out when you did, I wish I had done the same and come to the same realization sooner.

Great post Amp. But I don't understand how you can be at the top of your career field at only 23?

Unless you were the french fry commander at the Big Burger Barn?

Seriously - how could that be? At least you have a degree which can open doors for you. There are many jobs that I could win Olympic gold at, but - oh yeah - no degree - so I'm disqualified before I start.

I've never taught in the public school system but as an ESL teacher what Amp said was definitely the hammer on the nail. I was working with other teachers who had Master's degrees and PH.D's and had worked there for decades, yet we all had the same job and not much difference in pay.

It's nice to see that there are other teachers on this board. When I used to talk about my entrepreneurial aspirations with my old colleagues, they all looked at me like I was crazy!

I'm looking forward to growing and sharing with you all!

Sinirad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Feb 23, 2018
Montreal
I taught for 14 years in five different countries. I started six years in the States and after that went to Honduras, Colombia, and Taiwan for seven years at international schools. Most of my experience was as a P.E. teacher and coach, but also did a semester of teaching English in China which was pure hell.

I left education five years ago to try to become location independent. I'm getting closer and feel by 2019 I will be able to return to Colombia and work from where ever I lay my hat.

Thanks for sharing!

What was it about China that was pure hell?

Last edited:

GregDott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Feb 20, 2018
Eta Carinae
Thanks for reading!

Hi. I also recently just joined the forum. I spent a year in Hanoi doing ESL teaching at public school. (Just under a year ago). During that time and after I transitioned into freelance software development (for the sake of location independence). I'm still living in Hanoi though. Really great cost of living.

ESL world is strange (at least here it is). Loads of expats teaching English here with heavy 'sidewalk' mentality. I've found the crowd in general to be a little toxic...

amp0193

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
444%
May 27, 2013
United States
It's nice to see that there are other teachers on this board. When I used to talk about my entrepreneurial aspirations with my old colleagues, they all looked at me like I was crazy!

haha, I'm pretty sure teachers are probably one of the worst groups of people for having this kind of conversation with.

RobD88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
249%
Nov 20, 2017
Missouri

Thanks for reading!

Welcome @Sinirad! I'm pretty much a newbie here myself. I can tell you that there are plenty of people here that are willing to help so long as you ask the right questions. You can also find previous threads on most topics by using the search. There are some really good posts out there full of information.

I personally am not a teacher but my wife is. She hasn't read either of MJ's books but I've been talking the fast lane talk so much since reading them that she is on the path towards becoming a free lancer. She is from Colombia and fluent in both English and Spanish and has found that there is a lot of translation work available along with some Spanish copy work so that is her primary focus as she has a niche skill set. Being a free lancer may not ultimately be fast lane but it is definitely helping us generate cash flow to use towards greater goals.

Private Witt

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
220%
Feb 20, 2018
Oklahoma
Thanks for sharing!

What was it about China that was pure hell?

I was in Taiwan for two years before that and made 50k tax free with a paid for killer apartment at a top international school with great resources in an awesome dynamic city.

I than found myself in China at an underfunded technical college getting paid like 800 a month in a crap hole apartment in the sticks on the edge of a big city. Its a whole big story how I had such a downgrade in life, but was not happy and just wanted out. After that I went on a 6 month trip through SE Asia to balance out the bad experience.

Sinirad

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
317%
Feb 23, 2018
Montreal
Hi. I also recently just joined the forum. I spent a year in Hanoi doing ESL teaching at public school. (Just under a year ago). During that time and after I transitioned into freelance software development (for the sake of location independence). I'm still living in Hanoi though. Really great cost of living.

ESL world is strange (at least here it is). Loads of expats teaching English here with heavy 'sidewalk' mentality. I've found the crowd in general to be a little toxic...

Definitely...unfortunately a lot of people go to the popular ESL locations in Asia just to take advantage of the low barrier of entry, the cheap cost of living, and the false sense of privilege to just party and extend their sidewalk mentality beyond what they would be able to do back home.

Even when I was passionate about teaching, I often told people interested in ESL to avoid those traps...

Now I tell those same people to avoid conventional ESL altogether!

If they really want to travel and teach, they should just jump right into freelance.

GregDott

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
144%
Feb 20, 2018
Eta Carinae
Definitely...unfortunately a lot of people go to the popular ESL locations in Asia just to take advantage of the low barrier of entry, the cheap cost of living, and the false sense of privilege to just party and extend their sidewalk mentality beyond what they would be able to do back home.

Even when I was passionate about teaching, I often told people interested in ESL to avoid those traps...

Now I tell those same people to avoid conventional ESL altogether!

If they really want to travel and teach, they should just jump right into freelance.

Illusory status yeah. I find it really hard when all my friends this side are living that. There is even an expat bar down the road from me called "Sidewalk".

I'm considering joining/starting a meetup group of some sort here, just to improve my circle of influence.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.

More Intros...