The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Educate Yourself : Integration Clauses

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
The TL;DR is to make sure everything you say at coffee, at dinner, at the cigar lounge, at the negotiation table is EXACTLY as outlined in the contract. And that might need to include superfluous language "X must act within reasonable time from which time is given notice" -- well, DEFINE reasonable? 1 week? 1 year?

I agree. It is almost always in your best interests to define as many terms as possible to avoid potential ambiguity.

But on the flip side ... there are also times when you might not want to do that ... one being ... where you can't agree on the provision ... the provision is not material to the outcome ... and you don't want to blow the deal. This is particularly true when the contingency at issue is highly unlikely to materialize.

It's a judgment call.

But as a general rule ... it is best to define as much as you can.

Ambiguity in contracts leads to needless litigation ... almost all of which could have been easily avoided at the outset.

Most litigation I see arises when people try to draft agreements on their own without the assistance of a lawyer.

Penny wise. Pound foolish.

Folks, READ your contacts and have an attorney not look it over, but READ IT. And then after he's done, he needs to go over it with you PARAGRAPH by PARAGRAPH. My attorney actually went line by line and said "Now this means this". On a 50+ page document that can take hours but it's definitely worth it.

Exactly.

There is another reason why you want a lawyer to help you out with this.

Not only to make sure you "understand" the term ... but also to make sure you understand how the provision might turn around and bite you in the a$$. It might not be immediately evident.

I'll give you an example:

I was friends with two partners who owned a very successful business. The majority partner wanted to sell the business. The original partners got along great. But the majority partner had much bigger things to focus on so (long short) he wanted out.

So he found a set of buyers to acquire the club.

Now here's the thing ... the new partners coming in wanted the minority partner to stay on because the new owners did not have experience running that type of business. The minority partner was the guy running the business most of the time.

So he stayed on.

Well ... long short ... the minority partner did not pay much attention to the capital contributions clause in the new sale agreement. The consequence ...? The new owners jacked up the required capital contributions ... jacked up their salaries ... and forced the minority owner to progressively sell off his ownership interest in the company ... in lieu of capital contributions ... until there was very little ownership interest left.

The new owners had deep pockets. The minority owner did not.

End result ... the minority owner ended up taking a buy-out for what was left for peanuts.

Or (more bluntly speaking) ... the new owners F*cked him over and good.

Why ...? Because although he understood the provision ... he did not understand how the capital contributions provision could turn around and bite him in the a$$.

Another reason why you need a lawyer.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Rep+ Dave for sharing.

2enxhyo.jpg

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah

My bad brotha... absolutely ridiculous on my part. A consequence of 103 windows open at once. Sending you a C-Note X 7.

FastNAwesome

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
May 23, 2011
Hoping this is on-topic - how do you guys approach the "standard" contracts, where it's take it or leave it?

Example - popular online services. Many have terms that seem quite unfair, which I simply don't want to sign.
Obviously, one path is to simply not sign up. But that limits you in many ways.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Esquire

Divorce Shark
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
244%
Oct 13, 2012
Connecticut
Hoping this is on-topic - how do you guys approach the "standard" contracts, where it's take it or leave it?

Example - popular online services. Many have terms that seem quite unfair, which I simply don't want to sign.
Obviously, one path is to simply not sign up. But that limits you in many ways.

Well ... in that kind of situation you have two choices.

Take it ... or leave it.

It really is that simple.

Now ... with that said ... nothing says you can't break the agreement after the fact and flip em the bird.

Just got to weigh the odds. Are they really going to go for theirs ...? Just because you have a right to enforce an agreement doesn't mean you will. Or that the breach will even come to their attention.

I've easily written off more than $50k - $100k in legal fees ... not because I didn't have a legal right to pursue it ... but becuase doing so would be a royal, time consuming pain in the a$$. Or I had serious doubts about whether I could collect a judgment.

Getting a judgment is one thing. Collecting it is another. And more often than not ... the latter is much harder.

What else can ya do ...?

For the record ... I always insist on getting paid in advance these days. Lesson learned.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
494%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
What a fantastic thread @Vigilante people NEED to know how to protect themselves.

Daniel A

DIESEL
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
116%
Jun 20, 2013
California, USA
I couldn't fall asleep so I was on my phone looking for useful apps. And since I'm taking a Business Law course next semester I wanted to find anything that could help me with that subject specifically. I found an amazing app!

The app description actually says:

"(4) HELP US HELP YOU!! To keep our free, by downloading it you consent to helping spread the word about TheLaw.com in blog posts, social media and wherever you can. We think that's a very fair exchange! :)"

So, I wanted to share it here if you don't mind.

http://dictionary.thelaw.com/

I downloaded the free version already and it's LOADED with terms / words I don't know. The paid version that adds more terms / words is only $0.99. I'll definitely be getting it. It could be very useful someday. :)

EDIT: I got the paid version. It's definitely worth it! It added more terms and expanded on all of the old / new ones.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.