The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Ebook, vBulletin setup and Aweber

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Hi Gang,

Just wondering if anyone has experience writing an ebook? I have an idea for a guidebook for something I know really well and currently there isn't one out there. Lots of random info, but nowhere is it condensed into one fun, easy to ready guidebook. I like the idea, but I have no experience with writing for cash. I'm also thinking that I should run some tests to check market data and see if it's even worth my time and denaros to see if I should try this.

I was thinking about signing up with Aweber (Email Marketing Software & Email Marketing Services from AWeber) and seeing if I can get contact info on the "coming soon" homepage. Anyone have experience with this and how did it go? Was it worth your time and troubles?

I also set up a domain and server with vBulletin (which is what this forum is built upon) and setting it up? I just had it uploaded onto my server (paid a dude through elance) and now I need to set it up with threads, posting, etc... It looks like a bit of work to go from "stock" to something like MJ has.:huh2: Any suggestions or know of anyone that could set it up so it looks cool, good and professional?

Thanks again and I'd be curious to know what people's experience is with any and all of the above.

Keep on, keepin' on!

Scott

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

calmma97

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
May 23, 2012
Hi Scott,

How is your journey going? I don't have a lot to offer, I too have a similar Idea that I am contemplating. Where are you testing your idea?

Thanks

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
447%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I like the idea, but I have no experience with writing for cash.

So? Is there a rule that says you need to have experience to get paid to write? If you can write legibly and hire editors, you can write and get paid for it.

I'm also thinking that I should run some tests to check market data and see if it's even worth my time and denaros to see if I should try this.

You can test the market by placing targeted ads (w/a landing page) and see if anyone bites on an email registration signifying intent to buy.

It looks like a bit of work to go from "stock" to something like MJ has.

Yes it's work.

Any suggestions or know of anyone that could set it up so it looks cool, good and professional?

This seems to be a novel concept lately that people refuse to acknowledge ... it's called LEARNING.

Are you willing to put the time in?

I was.

Or, pay the $ and hire someone to modify it.

Nobody....?

Nobody responded because your questions are too generic -- you're asking someone to detail to you an entire process. Each of your questions could be answered in a 150-page book and someone here is supposed to do it for you in a post reply?

People with simplistic, generic questions are looking for simplistic "secrets", or answers that will magically bypass process (hard work) -- the answers could be ascertained in a multi-query Google search.

The big secret is there is no secret ... my suggestion to you is to narrow down your question to something more specific ... something specific to the point that it tells us you've done a little due diligence, instead of asking someone else to do it for you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Hi Scott,

How is your journey going? I don't have a lot to offer, I too have a similar Idea that I am contemplating. Where are you testing your idea?

Thanks

I think I got ahead of myself with my thought process, but being as it's new to me maybe I'm not.

At the moment, I have several irons in the fire so to speak. My latest ideas was an Ebook for a dental guidebook to northern Mexico (or for one certain town there). It's very popular spot with Canadians and Americans that don't have dental insurance or can't afford dental work in Canada/USA.

Long story short. I found myself with some serious dental issues that were going to cost me about $35k in Canada. Something I needed badly, but couldn't afford. At 37 years of age I didn't want to have dentures. So, after much research, several phone calls and a leap of faith I found myself in a dental chair in Mexico. 4 visits and $8k later my missing teeth and jaw are fully restored. I feel very lucky to have been able to find that option and afford to make it happen.

What I didn't find was a good source of information - Mexican websites from 1995, no idea of where to go exactly, how to do things, what to expect, what the dental standard was going to be (my friends laughed and told me to expect a dirt floor, rusty pliers and a bottle of tequila), where to stay............In the end, I'm not sure what convinced me to go but I went for it. I found the offices and dentists (at least the ones I went to) to be top notch and actually ahead of many offices of the dentists I see in Canada. The are two cat scan machines in the are where I live (each one is 4 hour drive) and there is a line up for months to get in. This office had one in the back that they used for my jaw bone graft......a dentist office in small town MX has a cat scan machine?!?!

In any case, I thought might be a market for guidebook to the area for people. I was going to do the usual guidebook things - how to get there, border crossing, accommodation, cheap transportation, food, what to look out for, prices there vs prices in US/Canada, etc.......Since I've been home I had many calls from family, friends and strangers in the same position wanting to know where to go, how to do it, they want the skinny on how to make their dental nightmares end.

I hate to undercut my local dentists, but I also cringe every time I see my orthodontist and get charged $300 for a 10 min session to change a wire. That $300 dollars would buy me 2 crowns in Mexico (in Canada, 2 crowns would be $2K)......This could help a lot of people like me.

Ok, got side tracked there but wanted to give you some background. I bought a domain and hosting. I loaded vBulletin on it (MJ, I looked at what you used and went with it - your site looks impressive and works well) and have started to mess around with it for about a week. It's a little more complex than I was hoping for, but I'm sure I can figure it out at some point. Google, vBulletin manual, elance......there are resources. I was thinking it might be good to set up a forum so people with dental issues can blab away (implants, crowns, root canals, orthodontics) to share their ideas and experiences. Much like here, but with a different venue.

Then it hit me. I should really test this whole thing before I get ahead of myself dump a bunch of time, money and effort into something I think is a good idea and the rest of the world does not (cause I've already been there a few times). I was thinking I should somehow set up the homepage with a pop-up saying something like "The Super Duper Mexican Dental Guidebook is coming soon. Register now for updates, information and tips if you're considering going to Mexico for your next dental holiday" - not really using those words, but something like it. With the contact/lead grabber I can then get a better idea if there is really a market for such a guidebook. I think the market would be quite large as everyone (well, most everyone) has to visit a dentist in their life.

Of course I'm having all the usual questions go through my head - how do I sell this things, what would I charge, would people even want it, etc.....

It's so new to me, that I find it hard to be confident to make a stern, "Hell Ya, I'm going for it!".

Anyhow, that's what's on my mind....

scottaj74

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
30%
May 11, 2012
Thanks MJ - for the kick in the a$$. Rather than responding right away, I'm going to let my brain chew on a few things first.......

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.