The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Forum Software, vBulletin, etc.

karakoram

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
91%
Apr 9, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Dear Fastlaner,

Recently the forum software was updated. As a result of this update, hundreds of hours of customization was LOST. At the moment and in the near future, we will have to deal with the "default" installation. If you are an entrepreneur and looking to host a forum to support your business/service/product, I highly recommend you AVOID THE WORST FORUM SOFTWARE IN EXISTENCE -- vBulletin.com. For an alternative, I recommend XenForo -- I am currently scheduling time to move the forum to this new software and abandoning vBulletin. The Fastlane lesson? Any time the web is littered with customers who are pissed, fed-up, and experience inconvenience and you repeatedly ignore them, you have a great OPPORTUNITY as it defines a NEED -- the folks at Xenforo have taken advantage of the blatant BLOAT and user "unfriendliness" of vBulletin. Stay tuned...

~ MJ

MJ,
I'm sorry to hear about your problems with vBulletin. I did some research into forum software as I am going to implement some forums on sites I own.

The general consensus I have found is that vBulletin 3.8.7 is (was) the last best version of vBulletin. Apparently, new owners took over the company or the brand of vBulletin and came out with version 4+ which I noticed that your current forum is.

This version is considered by many site owners to be inferior to 3.8.7, possibly due to the problems you ran into. As a result, there is a pretty hot market for 3.8.7 licenses. This is why really large forums such as the Warrior Forum for internet marketers, blackhatworld, etc. still run on old 3.8.7 licenses.

I have heard good things about phpBB, though I also hear it may have scaling issues with larger forums. I will check out Xenforo, thanks for the tip.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

CommonCents

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
69%
Apr 14, 2009
MN
Last edited by a moderator:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.