The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Easy Sharing Between Devices

Idea threads

Frost

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 23, 2021
A few weeks ago, after finding it very frustrating to share simple links/media between my phone and my laptop using online notes or WhatsApp Web, I got the idea of creating an app/service that allows users to share content very easily between multiple devices.

The idea is that you can share anything, with 1 or 2 clicks max, over the local network so no need to go through the internet. It can work for text, links, photos, videos, you name it.

I was thinking about a freemium model, with a free version containing a very basic set of features, and a premium version with more interesting capabilities.

There are other apps that do similar stuff (clipboard sharing apps for example), but it seems like they each suffer from certain issues, as seen in the negative comments on the GooglePlay store, so I want to do it better.
The problem is that most of the competing apps do it all for free.

Being a software engineer I'm already writing a prototype, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Do you think this is a good market to dive into? How do I compete with completely FREE alternatives?

Thanks

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

doster.zach

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
197%
Oct 14, 2021
Missouri
A few weeks ago, after finding it very frustrating to share simple links/media between my phone and my laptop using online notes or WhatsApp Web, I got the idea of creating an app/service that allows users to share content very easily between multiple devices.

The idea is that you can share anything, with 1 or 2 clicks max, over the local network so no need to go through the internet. It can work for text, links, photos, videos, you name it.

I was thinking about a freemium model, with a free version containing a very basic set of features, and a premium version with more interesting capabilities.

There are other apps that do similar stuff (clipboard sharing apps for example), but it seems like they each suffer from certain issues, as seen in the negative comments on the GooglePlay store, so I want to do it better.
The problem is that most of the competing apps do it all for free.

Being a software engineer I'm already writing a prototype, but I'm curious about your thoughts.

Do you think this is a good market to dive into? How do I compete with completely FREE alternatives?

Thanks
AirDrop?

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
No, I don't think this is a good idea, but seeing as it may be quite simple to make, why not give it a try and see what happens? To differentiate, focus on one form of media (example: documents) even if software is able to handle many media types.

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
My vision is that only the market will give you answers to your questions.

You have a big advantage, you are a software engineer, so build something, not a final version, but just an MVP, share it publicly, communicate about your unique skews and how using your app may be better than other alternative apps. The reason for this ? Get real, valuable and actionable feedback that will help you build a better version, present it to the market and readjust again.

Good luck for your project, and as I like to think, if this is a problem for you, chances are that many people are also facing the same.

Frost

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 23, 2021

It's actually very similar in terms of functionality, and not just restricted to the Apple ecosystem!

No, I don't think this is a good idea, but seeing as it may be quite simple to make, why not give it a try and see what happens? To differentiate, focus on one form of media (example: documents) even if software is able to handle many media types.

Thanks for your feedback. I'm curious though, what makes you think it's not a good idea? Is the need not there or do you not think that people would pay for such a functionality?

Frost

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 23, 2021
My vision is that only the market will give you answers to your questions.

You have a big advantage, you are a software engineer, so build something, not a final version, but just an MVP, share it publicly, communicate about your unique skews and how using your app may be better than other alternative apps. The reason for this ? Get real, valuable and actionable feedback that will help you build a better version, present it to the market and readjust again.

Good luck for your project, and as I like to think, if this is a problem for you, chances are that many people are also facing the same.

Thanks for your answer. Indeed it is a problem for me and judging from the download numbers of the alternative apps, I'm not the only one!

I agree with releasing a free MVP first to get feedback and see what feedback it gets. Based on that I will introduce more features and roll out the premium model. Is that similar to what you had in mind?

Frost

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 23, 2021
You can do this (copy+paste and transfer files) natively and wirelessly between Mac+iPhone and Windows+Android.. am I missing something?
Between Mac and iOS I believe so. Between Windows and Android there's no native solution.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario

Open source, so you can build off of it if you want. Just was able to share a photo from my phone to my computer in 3 clicks. I am on Ubuntu (KDE) and Android but maybe it's the same on Windows.

Frost

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
33%
Sep 23, 2021

Open source, so you can build off of it if you want. Just was able to share a photo from my phone to my computer in 3 clicks. I am on Ubuntu (KDE) and Android but maybe it's the same on Windows.
I saw it. It looks quite good, but it's Linux-only apparently, and not intended for the average user, in the sense that it feels quite technical.

I know that the idea is not groundbreaking. I just want to execute it better.

woken

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
145%
Mar 24, 2021
London, UK
I know that the idea is not groundbreaking. I just want to execute it better.
So basically an app that would work like Airdrop but you would have to download it.

Best bet is to make the app so popular some of the big guys would just have to buy it, even though it’s easily replicable, and integrate it within their ecosystem. ( Take Shazam for example).

BigRomeDawg

Gold Contributor
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jan 22, 2014
Canada/USA
Between Mac and iOS I believe so. Between Windows and Android there's no native solution.
Yes there is: Sync Your Phone to Computer: Your Phone App | Microsoft

+ a thousand third-party solutions

But, of course there are competitors..

Question is, what is your differentiating feature and does anyone care?

Are lots of people saying "damn, if only I could copy stuff between my phone and pc"?

I'm not, because I already have that. Wouldn't everyone already have it if they wanted?

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.