I have this business. It’s a product of my original mid-life crisis. I started it 5 years ago from scratch. Six years ago if you’d like to count my eBay store that has since been banned (a whole different story).
I sell used remote controls. That’s right, remotes. I don’t make a hell of a lot doing it though. It’s a side hustle that I had dreamt of taking full time. Some of my family and most of the people I have told about my business think it’s a bit weird. It may not be the sexiest business, but I’ve done it all on my own and I enjoy it.
My business model has been high volume, low margin. Unfortunately, it’s not working very well for me right now. There are probably too many moving parts for what I get out of it.
I handle a shit load of remote controls. I have a 20x30 ft storage unit full of about 50,000 or more of them. I have to clean them, test them and then create a listing for each one of them.
I’ve had what I consider mild success with my website. I built it myself and get about 5,000 visitors per month. I’m proud of it but am sure many would consider it amateur.
Here’s what I see as the major Pros & Cons:
Pros:
- Decent ROI
- Already have 2500 listings and counting
- Have lots of inventory with decent suppliers to get more
- Easy and low cost to ship
Cons:
- Labor intensive
- High return rate (much like most electronics but probably worse)
- Market is saturated with knockoff Chinese crap
The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm and try to add new life to this business that I have sank countless hours into. I was tempted to give up on it, but am going to give it one last push. I’m not ready to let it go.
I sell used remote controls. That’s right, remotes. I don’t make a hell of a lot doing it though. It’s a side hustle that I had dreamt of taking full time. Some of my family and most of the people I have told about my business think it’s a bit weird. It may not be the sexiest business, but I’ve done it all on my own and I enjoy it.
My business model has been high volume, low margin. Unfortunately, it’s not working very well for me right now. There are probably too many moving parts for what I get out of it.
I handle a shit load of remote controls. I have a 20x30 ft storage unit full of about 50,000 or more of them. I have to clean them, test them and then create a listing for each one of them.
I’ve had what I consider mild success with my website. I built it myself and get about 5,000 visitors per month. I’m proud of it but am sure many would consider it amateur.
Here’s what I see as the major Pros & Cons:
Pros:
- Decent ROI
- Already have 2500 listings and counting
- Have lots of inventory with decent suppliers to get more
- Easy and low cost to ship
Cons:
- Labor intensive
- High return rate (much like most electronics but probably worse)
- Market is saturated with knockoff Chinese crap
The purpose of this thread is to brainstorm and try to add new life to this business that I have sank countless hours into. I was tempted to give up on it, but am going to give it one last push. I’m not ready to let it go.
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
