The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Alright, let me ask you a question. How many times have you beaten yourself up because you think your effort wasn't good enough?

Many times? Well you're not alone.
I did a talk about this in front of a business class I was invited to speak before and I can assure you sooo many people suffer from this.

Back in the day, I used to suffer from perfectionism big time too.

It took me 6 hours to finish a 1,000-word article. A post like this used to be 1 to 2 hours' worth or writing. A book? At least a couple of months because I couldn't stand a rogue apostrophe or a misplaced comma.

But you know what? I found out that excellence doesn't work like that after being in business for over 10 years now.

Just take Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg as an example.

In his letter to potential investors he wrote:

"Hackers try to build the best services over the long term by quickly releasing and learning from smaller iterations rather than trying to get everything right all at once. To support this, we have built a testing framework that at any given time can try out thousands of versions of Facebook."

In other words, "Do the best you can, ship it and learn from it … fast!"

However, getting it done doesn't mean making crap. It just means giving everything you've got a deadline. That also means becoming open to feedback and learn from it.

I have a rule that I follow now. If it's "good enough", just release it. Meaning, it's like a 6 or 7 out of 10. Then, I'll get feedback and revise it until I make it a 10.

Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn said it the best: "If you are not embarrassed by the first verison of your product, you've launched too late!"

So the big take-away? Just start dammit! :playful:

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Thanks this is an underrated post.

It reminds me of this experiment where they had two groups of students.
  1. One group was to make 1 perfect piece of pottery
  2. The other was to make as many pieces as possible

Guess which group ended up being really good at making pottery at the end of the semester?...

(the book was "Blackbox Thinking" if I recall correctly)

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks this is an underrated post.

It reminds me of this experiment where they had two groups of students.
  1. One group was to make 1 perfect piece of pottery
  2. The other was to make as many pieces as possible

Guess which group ended up being really good at making pottery at the end of the semester?...

(the book was "Blackbox Thinking" if I recall correctly)

Nice! I love this story. Absolutely, repetition is mother of a skill. If someone wants to get good at something, just have them do it 100 times. Whatever it is, they CANNOT not become world-class through all those repetitions.

Last edited:

Philip Marlowe

Every Day On, No Days Off
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Apr 28, 2017
NE
Ugh - it's like you're talking right to me. I suffer from this big time. Thanks for the reminder that perfection is the enemy of the good.

Edit: Perfection also causes a "traffic jam" for me. Instead of moving quality content out the door, my posts back-up and by the time I've "perfected" one post, I've lost my train of thought on the other. Get it done!

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Ugh - it's like you're talking right to me. I suffer from this big time. Thanks for the reminder that perfection is the enemy of the good.

You got it bro! Yes it took a while for me too to really not give a f*ck and start executing like a madman. Now I practice "MIA", "Massive IMPERFECT Action". Everyday!

Limitless4Life

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
274%
Dec 20, 2016
One of the things my slowlane job preaches is ‘80 is the new 100’. It has helped me a lot with productivity.

Last edited:

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Nice! I love this story. Absolutely, repetition is mother of a skill. If someone wants to get good at something, just have them do it 100 times. Whatever it is, they CANNOT become world-class through all those repetitions.

I'm not sure we're completely on the same page, why cannot they become world class?

In the story the people who tried to make the perfect jar, ended up with one distorted jar.

The people who could experiment rapidly, learned how to mold the clay to their desire. The clay became an extension of their hands almost. Their final clay jar was actually very good.

How else would someone become world class?

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
I'm not sure we're completely on the same page, why cannot they become world class?

In the story the people who tried to make the perfect jar, ended up with one distorted jar.

The people who could experiment rapidly, learned how to mold the clay to their desire. The clay became an extension of their hands almost. Their final clay jar was actually very good.

How else would someone become world class?

Haha that was a typo. I meant to say "They cannot NOT be world-class" :)

Process

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
224%
Jul 19, 2017
Solving Pain
Haha that was a typo. I meant to say "They cannot NOT be world-class" :)

Ok good haha, just making sure.

...because I am doing everything in my power to kill the idea that someone can be an expert by just reading books about something.

jms0717

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
135%
Oct 31, 2017
San Angelo, TX
Whoa. Big mindset shift. I'm a huge perfectionist. That's why I'm still working on my first (free...shouldn't have done that) website, and took 2 weeks to write and send my sales letters instead of 1 day. I'm working on it. :)

Judicious

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
329%
Nov 28, 2017
Los Angeles
Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I find myself spending more time making the lists of things I need to do than doing the things on my lists. Crazy, right? Progress leads to more progress.

Stevie Drive

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
371%
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes I find myself spending more time making the lists of things I need to do than doing the things on my lists. Crazy, right? Progress leads to more progress.

Yup! A great book to read on this topic is "Lean Startup" by Eric Ries. It goes into detail about taking fast action. A fantastic book!

dgr

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
271%
Feb 20, 2016
Spain
Alright, let me ask you a question. How many times have you beaten yourself up because you think your effort wasn't good enough?

I did a talk about this in front of a business class I was invited to speak before and I can assure you sooo many people suffer from this.

It took me 6 hours to finish a 1,000-word article. A post like this used to be 1 to 2 hours' worth or writing. A book? At least a couple of months because I couldn't stand a rogue apostrophe or a misplaced comma.

But you know what? I found out that excellence doesn't work like that after being in business for over 10 years now.

"Hackers try to build the best services over the long term by quickly releasing and learning from smaller iterations rather than trying to get everything right all at once. To support this, we have built a testing framework that at any given time can try out thousands of versions of Facebook."

However, getting it done doesn't mean making crap. It just means giving everything you've got a deadline. That also means becoming open to feedback and learn from it.

I have a rule that I follow now. If it's "good enough", just release it. Meaning, it's like a 6 or 7 out of 10. Then, I'll get feedback and revise it until I make it a 10.

Reid Hoffman, founder of LinkedIn said it the best: "If you are not embarrassed by the first verison of your product, you've launched too late!"

It's really difficult to let go of perfectionism.

Usually when you are perfectionist you're identifying your work with your personal worthiness.

Nobody wants to be unworthy. So your work is never good enough.

But you cannot success at first attempt, ever. Feedback is what makes your work relevant and great. So...

In order to be able to let go of this need, but at the same time maintain your standards, I've found a solution. It works for me, at least.

Consider your work ALWAYS as a work in progress. As a beta version. When you launch, do it knowing that the only way to perfection is through the feedback.

Get every rejection and every feedback or criticism as something that is probably true from the perspective of the other person (or the market).

Be grateful for that. Consider it your mentor, your coach, giving you the awareness that you so hardly need.

Then keep working on it until perfection or success. Whatever comes first.

Usually success comes first. Perfection is almost impossible to achieve.

But sometimes comes failure after failure. That's great, you're learning anyway. Use it for your next project.

I've been in an exhibition in Vienna today. Rubens. Wonderful paintings. You know what? No one of those paintings was the result of a first try.

He made a lot of preliminar work.

He stole a lot from other artists. He copied a lot from himself. He repeated the same posture for a body in very different paintings. He copied from classical sculptures.

He transformed everything he saw and combined it into new paintings.

He took feedback from their clients and modify a lot of the details of his paintings.

He was a pro.

But no one of his paintings is perfect.

The F*cking Rubens. He was not perfect.

Why should we be?

Edit: changed "exposition" for "exhibition". It was a false friend. First iteration :D

Last edited:

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016

Wolfman

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
89%
Nov 12, 2017
Pittsfield, MA

Hi Stevie, You sure got my attention. Everything you said makes sense and now I'm going to do it, not think any more about how to make it perfect. I'll have to thank. Greg

HackVenture

Digital Marketer
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
146%
Mar 11, 2011
Planet Earth
The bane of many entrepreneurs.

I used to suffer really badly from this until I started making extensive use of todo lists via Wunderlist.

Instead of subjectively considering whether something was "considered" done, I simply look at that task on Wunderlist and if it IS done, it's DONE, simple!

Now all you need to do is to define the task properly.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.