The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.
Anything related to matters of the mind

Yves_Source

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jan 17, 2017
Spain
Hi community!

After reading the book "The Fastlane Millionaire", I'm trying to catch ideas from the needs of the people I meet. Last week I heard someone telling a "why is it this way?" and an idea came to me.

The point is, the idea is about creating a mobile app to help solving the problem (I hope). Then I started looking for what technology should I use: cross platform framework, server solution for data sync, ...

After some days investigating, I realized I wasn't motivated enough, and just thinking about configuring servers, or even developing the app, was boring to me.

I'm interested in 3d animation and movies. I have experience developing software since 1998 but now I'm demotivated in programming.

The book tells that "Don't do what you love", and think about what you can do for the others. Honestly, I can only think about find something I can do for the others, but focused in 3d animation, because I love it.

Is it a bad idea? can't I just believe that someday will appear a need based in 3d animation that will help others? I'm creating a limit?

But what if I can't motivate myself for anything but 3d animation?

Thanks for your suggestions...

Yves.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
If you're looking for someone to tell you that you can overcome your inertia by only doing stuff that intrinsically motivates you, you won't get that answer around here.

You can however, reframe your worldview to gain enjoyment by solving things for others, which will make things you don't currently enjoy into things you enjoy.

Also, you just have to do a lot of unpleasant shit, especially in the beginning.

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
You saw a need but it bored you?

Do you think limos excited MJ? Solve the need, then you can do 3D modelling when you retire early.

G-Man

Cantankerous Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
544%
Jan 13, 2014
You saw a need but it bored you?

Gotsta read the subtext. I think what's really being said is "I saw a need but it seemed like a lot of work."

Waspy

Float like a butterfly
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
461%
Dec 6, 2016
U.K.
Gotsta read the subtext. I think what's really being said is "I saw a need but it seemed like a lot of work."

Rep'ed for my own naivety.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
You missed the part in the book where MJ says, don't be selfish. You're only thinking about yourself in regards to what you love. Imo, reread the book and CENTS.

Last edited by a moderator:

c_morris

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
344%
Oct 30, 2016
Nova Scotia, Canada
The book tells that "Don't do what you love", and think about what you can do for the others. Honestly, I can only think about find something I can do for the others, but focused in 3d animation, because I love it.

If you truly love 3d animation, then you will do anything to free up your time so that you can pursue it on your own terms, detached from money.

Sent from my Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

Sadik

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
Jan 26, 2017
Kolkata, India
One thing I feel is that it is very difficult to actually know what you "love". Early on we have romantic ideas of what we love or would love to do... but it's all theory. I have tried out about half a dozen things and some I enjoy more than others but it's very difficult to put a handle on "this is THE thing" I love. I wonder how others feel.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
So it is your expectation that hard work, driving for success, and learning tough new skills should be exciting and fun?

Your passion / excitement / fun queues will TRIGGER once you connect your feedback loop with whatever you're doing. In other words, that usually occurs when you get your first sale, or your first "I love what you're doing."

samuraijack

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Jul 27, 2014
New York, New York
Also, you just have to do a lot of unpleasant shit, especially in the beginning.

this

Your passion / excitement / fun queues will TRIGGER once you connect your feedback loop with whatever you're doing. In other words, that usually occurs when you get your first sale, or your first "I love what you're doing."

and that

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.