• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

Doing lots of STUFF but I feel I'm doing it WRONG

Discussion in 'General Entrepreneur Discussion' started by Leonn, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Leonn

Leonn New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $36
    Hi everyone I'm new here, I'm 23. I've read TMF book and it's a wake up call.

I'm here because I want to be a successful entrepreneur and meet new like minded people.

Here's my quick story:

I've started studying in college 5 years ago after high school (it was a technical high school).
    I've always worked since high school and started working as a tech guy / electrician and learnt that trade job with a company but I've realized after one year I've hated it.

After finishing high school, I got into computer science and engineering college but I was already working and doing some side hustles like buying and reselling stuff, then I had a burn out and dropped out.
    After that, I found a temporany job as a waiter serving table at nights and cleaning toilets of the restaurant.

I've realized it was a bad job and got into computer science and engineering college to study it again.

A friend of mine told me about a film called "Limitless" with Bradley Cooper and after watching that film, my life changed and I've started studying all that stuff that no school neither college NEVER taught me.

In the last two years while in college for the second time, doing side hustles etc I've started studying on my own everything about self development, mindset and bio-hacking, sales, marketing, online business and so on.

I made an important decision : to become a successful businessman and to be limitless like the guy of that film :)

I'm still hustling and studying to make my vision a reality, I know there is no limit.

The only thing I'm here is because I'd like to ask some advice to successful entrepreneurs.

For now, I'm working with a company that does internet marketing and I work it for now as a 9-5 job then study at the nights.
    I usually do some coding, SEO and talk to clients as well.

The only thing is that for studying college subjects (math , algorithms are hard and take time to understand) I have little focus after the job. So I usually study a lot when the exam date is near, tried some natural nootropics and they work but I get too much stress.

I have like 1 year more left (I hope) to get the bachelor but I've realized I want to work in the digital marketing field and not in the software engineering field.
    My boss (is a succesful business man and started his internet marketing company while in college studying engineering) already told me to focus, to become the best at ONE skill ONLY and then if you want to start a business hire others to outsource the skills you don't have time for.

What would you advice to a young guy like me ?

I know that in order to work like in Google and so on I should already had the bachelor with honors, the main problem is I always worked and did side hustles to support me and my college studies.. I don't think college is really important for business success but it could help to give you some skills about the business you want to work in.

I want to become a successful man no matter what but I know I need to focus.
    After the bachelor of computer science I was thinking of getting another one in economics or MBA but I'm not sure, I have too many ideas, then browse the internet to study more stuff and sometime I lose focus.

So as you can see I'm always doing a lot of stuff, work, side hustless and have less time for studying.. I don't want to say I'm in the wrong way instead maybe I'm doing lots of things but doing them wrong..

Thank you for your life advice.

ZF Lee likes this.
  2. sparechange

sparechange Silver Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,795
    learn sales & marketing, come up with your own product or service. keep it simple

Andy Black and ZF Lee like this.
  3. Leonn

Leonn New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $36
    Thanks that's what I'm trying to do.

The only advice I'm asking to you guys, I feel sometimes I'm doing too many things at once and going in the "wrong" path, also I risk to do many jobs and not finish the bachelor and I'm scared about that.

4. Andy Black

Andy Black Any colour, as long as it's red. Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $151,619
    Caveat: the forum can’t make your life decisions for you. Hear what people say, but think where it’s coming from, what your own situation is, and what YOU want out of life.

So putting my neck out:

If you were my son, and based purely on what you said, I’d encourage you to finish your study because you’ve only one year left.

I’d tell you not to bother with doing an MBA or any other crap afterwards. Stop formal study after this last year. Especially if you want to do digital marketing.

I’d say bollox to working in Google. You already have a job doing digital marketing, and your boss sounds like he has his head screwed on right. His advice to you is on the money. You’ll learn more from him than being a small cog in the big wheel of a company like Google.

I’d say yes, you do have to focus, and to focus you need to eliminate. Don’t be afraid to do lots of things till you find something that bites you and you can’t NOT do.

You’re young and there’s no rush. Enjoy the journey. Enjoy the challenges. It’s all part of the rich tapestry of life.

Go find my tread: “Finding your focus”.

Maybe also check out the first radio interview linked to in my signature.

5. Leonn

Leonn New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $36
    Thank you man.

I feel only that I'm not on the right "track" for college, I have one year left but it's taking me so much time, exams are really difficult and I don't have much interest into it.

Yesterday I had a difficult exam about computer programming and my professor is a genius, I didn't pass the test (I managed to study for it the night before the test beacuse I had SO much work to do).

Then I've told to the professor about that I'm hustling and learning how to setup my own business, he laughed at me, I felt like an idiot lol

I'm hating college and what I'm studing, professors teach you only obedience, the only way is to finish my studies and go all in into business.

lowtek and Andy Black like this.
  6. Dylan Hobrecht

Dylan Hobrecht Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $125
    80/20 Rule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Leonn

Leonn New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $36
    What do you mean ? 20% of my time to focus on 80% of things important for me ?

8. Pete Wilkinson

Pete Wilkinson New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $17
    80% of your time on the 20% of things that's bring results.

9. Leonn

Leonn New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $36
    Hi, I'm here because I'm hustling every day and I'd like to update you here.

I'm working on my job and today I've closed on the phone a 3000$ SEO contract (I know it's not a lot but I'm still learning).

I'm really happy and also the boss told me that he'd like to have me with him going around to meet new people and close pontential clients on the phone or at business events.

My boss told me to keep working to develop more my talent that is more about sales , persuasion and marketing and not so much about computers...

also I work with the engineering team in the company, I usually work with the engineer manager and I understand what he says and also coding (a little bit) but again, he also told me that I should keep working on my sales skills instead of tech skills (sales comes more natural to me instead of tech skills).

So what would you advice to me guys ? Keep hustiling and going all in into marketing & sales without finishing my tech degree ?

or just finish my tech degree even if I'm not really interested into it ?

It's a pain in the a** working, hustiling and trying to finish something I'm not really good at it while you see other engineers with more talent into coding and you still know your main talent is sales.

The college doesn't cost a lot where I live, I get paid at my job and I pay for my own studies, only my family would be "worried" if I don't get that degree (typical slowlane mindset)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2018 at 1:26 PM
    lowtek likes this.
  10. lowtek

lowtek Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $14,589
    How to evaluate such questions:

How much will it cost to finish your tech degree? How successful could you be with that degree? What could you expect to earn, as a ceiling?

For sales, what is your ceiling?

How much more could you make working instead of going to school vs. getting the degree? IOW, what's the opportunity cost of school?

What will be the fallout with your family if you quit college?

Weight each factor, and add it up, and see what comes out on top.