• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. Join 40,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

2. Forum *Official* Book Discussion
    Can't Hurt Me by David Goggins

The forum has voted to discuss this book. Grab it, discussion begins soon!
    Can't Hurt Me, by Goggins

NOTABLE! Does what you do make CENTS?

Discussion in 'Lessons from Success/Failure' started by EvanOkanagan, Nov 24, 2016.

1. theag

theag Most Aggressive Guy on the Internet on the Planet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,483
    Maybe he will go into more detail here, but he commented on that in the options thread: https://www.thefastlaneforum.com/co...onaires-option-mega-thread.66398/#post-522363

Fox, gabeb1920, Kingmaker and 6 others like this.
  2. AndrewNC

AndrewNC Limitless Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $66,412
    Thanks for the feedback.

Since reading your post last night, I:

Control - Exported my email list from Aweber onto my computer. And I'm funneling users from my email list to the Facebook group. Sending subscribers from my Limitless Success Magazine app to instagram and email list.

I'm not sure if we can have full control, but I'm taking steps to remove that "one point of failure".

Time - I'm in the process of personally mentoring someone in NLP to get him to the point where he's better than I am. By early February, he should be ready to take over client sessions as a freelance contractor. For sales, I'm partnering up with someone to manage the sales of the 12-week (or single sessions).

I'm still putting in the time myself, but planting the roots for removing the time aspect of the business as it grows in the upcoming years.

Where I'm stuck....

I'm still kind of stuck on the need portion of it (and I could use help on this part if you see something I don't).

With the testimonials and referrals I'm getting - I 100% am confident in the services I offer, and I know it solves a need.

As far as needing MY service over others - I feel that with what I do, and the market I'm serving, the market is unsaturated enough where there's no industry leaders such as the pepsi or coke example.
    • For example, if you need help overcoming a junk food craving, I would tell you to move a picture in your mind, change the brightness, size, etc. and lock it in place - and the craving goes down (like I showed you), or completely goes away (adding some more tools to it.)
    • If an early-stage entrepreneur can't find a business idea - I would have them imagine floating up out of their body, floating into the future on a timeline, look down in their imagination at a future version of themselves where they already have the business idea.
    There's more too it, but it's been getting results for my clients - and from virtually everyone I came across - the things I do are nothing like anything they've seen before.

Is the undersaturation of the market enough for the NEED?

Or do you think that I could be doing something else to improve this accept of CENTS?

Thanks again.

topherea likes this.
  3. eliquid

eliquid ( Jason Brown ) Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $45,204
    So is the NEED in CENTS analysis only post-action then and not really something that can be trusted pre-action?

OldFaithful likes this.
  4. theag

theag Most Aggressive Guy on the Internet on the Planet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR

Rep Bank:
    $50,483
    Pre-action would be asking the question "Do people need a BETTER solution than what is already there" (and can I provide that?).. then post-action constantly analyzing if yours is still the best solution out there. If not, time to improve/innovate more.

Curious how others see it..

5. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,700
    Admin Post
    Until you inject the market with your solution, NEED tends to be subjective PREACTION until the market validates it as a need.

6. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $357,700
    Admin Post
    You're describing EXECUTIONAL EXCELLENCE which overcomes weak entry in an industry that boasts NEED, but has many problem solvers.

2 Es beat 1 E.

@theag posted the analysis from the inside. Rep+ to him.

Gepi, gabeb1920, eliquid and 2 others like this.
  7. Jake

Jake Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,300
    Control - I control my brand but not my factory. I could produce elsewhere but then it's new headaches that I've already spent nearly a year taking care of. I'm relying less on Amazon these days and making more sales through my website and retailers
    Entry - Not much of a barrier. Quality and brand building not so easy
    Need - Yes. Not an absolute need but an underserved strong want.
    Time - It's still early days so I need to push but some of my best days have been while I'm sitting at the pool. As I get more retailers onboard time will continue to increase
    Scale - Could be big but I'm pretty much making my market. Target small then continue to increase the market size from there.

Overall score? 2-2.5?

Gepi, ZF Lee and Kingmaker like this.
  8. Yoda

Yoda Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $307
    Blogging (3.5/5)

Control (.5) - I can control my website, and all its content. I can control prices of my offer. I can't control where Google puts me.

Entry (1) - Actually getting good and understanding everything about blogging is not easy. Many come, many leave. Few win.

Need (1) - In the niche I chose, it's evergreen and there is absolutely a constant need which I could never fulfill.

Time (.5) - Can I do nothing and keep profiting? Yes, for a while. Is it persistent? Not really. I'll always need to keep publishing, even though the work itself is hired out.

Scale (.5) - This was the hardest for me to look at with an unbiased eye. In scaling my own site, there is a 'peak' to some degree. In acquisition of other sites, though, there isn't. I'm leaning much closer to 1 than 0, but I'm not going to count tenths.

-----
    Overall, I could technically move Time and Scale closer and closer and closer to 1 (hiring more processes out, acquiring more profitable blogs in other niches with different traffic sources). However, not being able to control traffic directly is a huge detriment to my space ever becoming 100% CENTS.

Even if Entry, Need, Time and Scale were flawless, my search engine traffic could drop to minimal amounts pretty quick.

9. MJ DeMarco

Rep Bank:
    $357,700
    Admin Post
    MARKED NOTABLE -- this is really interesting to see how our businesses shape up and where we hold our weaknesses.

#nowhere, Raoul Duke, Greg R and 7 others like this.
  10. eliquid

eliquid ( Jason Brown ) Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $45,204
    @theag @MJ DeMarco @biophase

This has helped a lot in my understanding of it.

Sometimes I think I am the only one that doesn't get "it" sometimes. What people see as crystal clear, I sometimes look at muddy and from another angle which throws me off some and causes me to sometimes question what I thought/know.

Has hurt me in someways, but many times it has also leveraged me higher than the others and into a better position seeing something they "don't"

Good to know how this is suppose to look now and how it fits in.

Thanks

11. eliquid

Rep Bank:
    $45,204
    Raoul Duke and theag like this.
  12. devine

devine Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $615
    Business production consulting.

Need - 10.
    99.9% of entrepreneurs and businesses are:
    [​IMG]

Entry - 1.
    Good luck and amen.
    Control - 0.9.
    As long as human beings are allowed to communicate, I have full control over this business.
    Government was a significant barrier, but as we integrated DASH into our business our lovely government can kiss my a$$. When I move completely off-shore I'll give it a full point.
    If you live in a first-world country, your Control is about twice as low as you imagine it to be.
    Time - 0.7.
    Even though I work less than 30 hours per month, it's not passive income. My main focus is to make it less time consuming, yet increasing profits, as I have a whole lot of other things to do besides doing business.
    Scale - 1.
    Both, service-based and product-based opportunities are great.
    4.6/5.
    This business makes me appreciate life.

Niche commerce/ecommerce.
    Need - 0.6.
    The keyword is 'niche".
    Entry - 0.8.
    Good luck and amen.
    Control - 0.4.
    We don't manufacture the substance.
    Time - 0.7.
    We collectively spent half of a year on everything: product, business name, branding and website, retail stores, security, personell, traveling to meet with manufacturers, I was doing customer support myself a lot, was working as a consultant at my own stores, hired personell, I even signed personal cards myself. My Woman has done an insane amount of work as well.
    But today, when everything is done and delegated, I only spend time on my development in related areas.
    Scale - 1.
    Not simple and definitely not easy, but opportunity is great.
    3.5/5.
    If it wouldn't be our common passion with my Woman, with tremendous amount of talent, pre-existing skillset and assets, I wouldn't even touch the area like this for God's sake.

Music licensing library.
    Need
    Undersupplied market with a shortage of quality.
    Entry - 1.
    Unless you have top-notch library of hundreds of tracks with excellent production quality + contacts with right people, your success is not on the roadmap.
    Control - 0.6.
    BMI/ASCAP get more and more corrupted with years.
    Time - 1.
    I haven't spent an hour on this business in 2 months.
    Scale - 0.6.
    Scaling is very complex and I can't see a lot of ways to do it efficiently without spending too much time.
    4.2/5.
    A perfect example of a hobby translated into profession, then into business.

Overall, I don't depend on my business. Less than a year ago it was totally the opposite.
    I focused on quality for many years and have surpassed 10k hours mark in multiple fields before I was introduced to NECTS.
    NECTS is a powerful strategic principle, if understood correctly - it translates a full-time business that makes $50k/year into a business that makes $50k/month.

On such a beautiful note I say thanks to @MJ DeMarco for introducing his principles in his book, and depart from TFLF for a while to focus on my family and my new activities.
    It was a great time, this forum has improved me as an entrepreneur and as a person.
    I wish success to those who actually deserve it, tremendous luck to those who are lost and great enjoyable life to everyone.

J

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  13. theag

Rep Bank:
    $50,483
  14. devine

devine Bronze Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $615
    theag likes this.
  15. Florian

Florian Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $46
    You could go more into social media in order to create more control about who'll see your website. If you give enough content and here and there sprinkle in some hooks, you are good to go. But I'm just a newbie so feel free to ignore me :)

16. mindfulimmortal

mindfulimmortal Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,564
    I struggle with the need part also. The theory of Jobs To Be Done make it much clearer to me. Basically the concept is to focus on the customers struggle to make their life better and how customers imagine their lives being better once they have the solution. You focus on the customers motivation vs the solutions and technology that fulfills those needs. Two good examples of this are:
    - What job to be done are people buying cars? there are many reasons such as they want to get from point a to point b. they want a car that gives them "status", they collect them as an investment. Purchasing, leasing, renting, sharing, taxi's, Uber all provided solutions for the Job to be done.
    - Why do some people buy milk shakes on their way to work. The first thought is they were thirsty but when interviewed it turned out that many bought them because they took a long time to drink and occupied their desires during traffic congestion.
    A Job To Be Done (and need) describes why (motivation), not how (functionality)
    Once you look at needs as "is there a job to be done" it makes it easier and clearer to focus on solutions.

17. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke The .45 longslide, with laser sighting. Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $4,125
  18. Late Bloomer

Late Bloomer Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $7,648
    Thanks for the heads up! I missed this thread, will add my little summary here!

Helping local Mom & Pop restaurants with online marketing
    (full details in my Speedway thread: local sites plus a lead gen portal inspired by Limos.com)

Need
    : 8/10
    Restaurants need to find diners. Diners want to find restaurants. Online's a great way to do this. Online's a mystery to Mom & Pop. Presence of competition proves it's a valid business model.

Entry: 5/10
    Basic sales and web skills needed, then basic management skills to scale with other people using my checklists.

Control: 8/10
    I can control my sites, I can control my portal, I can control my sales process, I can control my tech process, I can control my hosting. I can't control quality of the restaurants. I can't control social media services that might be used for advertising.

Time: 9/10
    After the initial setup, let Mom & Pop email me a weekly update, otherwise it's hands-off for subscription renewal income.

Scale: 9/10
    The more the merrier when it comes to a portal.

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    Gepi likes this.
  19. Gepi

Gepi In it to win it Read Millionaire Fastlane FASTLANE INSIDER

Rep Bank:
    $363
    Wow, cool thread. This really gives some insight into different kinds of business models.

I will throw mine in here:

3D design, 3D modeling, 3D printing jewelry expert with some occasional graphic design going on. -> Phialo

Need: 4/5
    My clients need what I do. While some are very oldschool and don't understand it yet, more and more jewelers see the opportunity of 3D modeling (that is, costs less time + money, lets you easily replicate something, gives you the ability to show customers pieces before making them real in photorealistic quality, and so on). The fact that I have graduated as the best traditional goldsmith in my state makes this a good niche for me.
    And so I expect rising demand.

Entry: 3/5
    It is possible for anyone with the right effort and mindset to learn the program and gather experience in 3D printing. On the other hand, to apply this to jewelry from start to a successful finish is not so easy. You need to know the ins and outs and also the crafty part of creating it in the real world. And of course, you need an eye for aesthetics, design, fashion and wearability.

Control: 5/5
    I have my own website, I contact my own clients, I sell my time for money. This gives me all the control I want over it. I also sell some of my models in online marketplaces, but this is minor compared to the main thing.

Time: 1.5/5
    Yeah...this is where it gets slow. No hours worked, no money made. While it has potential, my models on the marketplace do not make nearly anywhere enough. I would have to focus on launching my own jewelry line. While this is something I have pondered often enough, so far something kept me from it. Designing the models for other jewelers was something that gave immediate positive response and so I focused on that. On the other hand it would be a way to scale my business beyond outsourcing the occasional thingy.
    Another idea was to make instructional videos and online courses. Have no idea if people would pay money for that, though.
    I guess I have to get more information about some of the above. But at the moment getting bills paid and growing the main biz is priority.

Scale: 1.5/5
    See Time.

Nice insightful exercise.

MJ DeMarco likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.