The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does visualization really work?

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
In the The Millionaire Fastlane there was something about visualization . I wanted to know that do you guys believe in visualization. I totaly hate it and i don't believe in it . But my father follow a so called "guru" who always promote visualization. so I was curious is that really work because it didn't work with me.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I used to be in the camp that visualization was dumb.

Then I started using it in my workouts.

Then I started lifting massive amounts of weight, so much more than my small frame could handle, to the point the beefy bodybuilders were like, "Huh?"

After 3 expensive orthopedic surgeries on various body parts due to an extremely heavy lifting routine, I'm now a believer in visualization.

As a human, you can believe, or disbelieve, whatever you want.

Some people still believe the Earth is flat and everything related to space is conspiratorial theater.

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021

Then I started lifting massive amounts of weight, so much more than my small frame could handle, to the point the beefy bodybuilders were like, "Huh?"

After 3 expensive orthopedic surgeries on various body parts due to an extremely heavy lifting routine, I'm now a believer in visualization.

Some people still believe the Earth is flat and everything related to space is conspiratorial theater.
It means it upto me? I should believe or not.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe

Very interesting MJ. How do you practice visualization? And any prticular source for learning the technique you use?

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
If you like UFC, Connor Mcgregor sometimes talks about it.
A fighter wins already in mind BEFORE the fight enters the ring.

SilverGR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 4, 2019
I think it works sometimes, in some stuff, it depends on the stuff! Gurus oversell/overhype it I think. Works great for athletes/performers I would guess. Generally it may boost motivation and maybe you stumble upon some new ideas/strategies! But what do you mean work? If referring to metaphysical LoA stuff, I think that's delusional.
Disclaimer: no experience with this stuff, just my theories.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
I think it works sometimes, in some stuff, it depends on the stuff! Gurus oversell/overhype it I think. Works great for athletes/performers I would guess. Generally it may boost motivation and maybe you stumble upon some new ideas/strategies! But what do you mean work? If referring to metaphysical LoA stuff, I think that's delusional.
Disclaimer: no experience with this stuff, just my theories.
I use a fair amount of metaphysical stuff in life and business. It works incredibly well.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
In the The Millionaire Fastlane there was something about visualization . I wanted to know that do you guys believe in visualization. I totaly hate it and i don't believe in it . But my father follow a so called "guru" who always promote visualization. so I was curious is that really work because it didn't work with me.
I'm a great believer.

When I was young, I constantly had kidney infections, internal bleeding, and organ failure. I ended up with very serious kidney damage and I was in my late teens and early 20s. I took tons of antibodies -- they didn't work. My body was too weak. At one point the doctors at a world-class hospital told me that I had 2 weeks to 2 months to live. Since there was nothing they could do besides dialysis, and I was too weak to walk or do anything, I had to make a plan.

Packman was a very popular new game at the time. So I spent all my time flat on my back playing Packman in my head. My white blood cells were the Packmen hunting down and consuming the bad bacteria. I mentally hunted down all the bacteria by targeting the different areas of my body. Then I sent my imaginary handyman crew to fix the damage. I imagined my kidneys and other damaged parts to be whole and healthy pink rather than scared and damaged.

In a short time, I gave the pain pills cold turkey, against my doctor's advice. I took hypnosis lessons to learn how to make powerful self-suggestions and do natural pain control. By then, the doctors said I'd never make it to 30 and sure not to 40. I just laughed at them and carried on.

I worked in real estate so I could control my activities and work as I was able. When I was out door-knocking and got too tired, I'd sit on the curb and rest for a while. I became very successful regardless of the health issues.

I'm now in my late 60s and I'm still here. I still must watch everything that I eat and how many activities I can do. I can't run, but I can walk. Sometimes I still have the terrible kidney pain, but most days I am just about pain-free. My blood work still shows that I have kidney issues, but they are not immediately life-threatening. Most people around me don't know about my kidney problem. And yes, I'm still working...

mdot

Always Improve.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
190%
Dec 24, 2020
Ontario, Canada
@WJK what a great story! Really demonstrates the power of a strong will to live and the positive effect of fighting the battle with the right weapons, so to speak.

I'm also a strong believer in hypnosis. When I was a kid I got warts on my feet (always wear flipflops to the pool, folks). After a long unsuccessful series of freezing treatments, my family tried hypnosis. I had an in-office session where they recorded a track for me, which I would listen to before bed every night. In it I was to visualize myself on a beach, feel myself channeling the "healing warmth of the sun" to my feet, and to imagine the blood supply to the warts being cut off and them shriveling away. I think my parents though it was dumb at first but as a kid I didn't have any preconceptions. And it actually worked - over the course of a couple weeks the warts visibly shrunk for the first time. I ended up getting them lasered off but I'm pretty sure if I had kept up the sessions long enough they would have disappeared completely.

When considering external events though, I think it's important to realize that visualization ≠ attraction. We aren't telepathic.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
@WJK what a great story! Really demonstrates the power of a strong will to live and the positive effect of fighting the battle with the right weapons, so to speak.

I'm also a strong believer in hypnosis. When I was a kid I got warts on my feet (always wear flipflops to the pool, folks). After a long unsuccessful series of freezing treatments, my family tried hypnosis. I had an in-office session where they recorded a track for me, which I would listen to before bed every night. In it I was to visualize myself on a beach, feel myself channeling the "healing warmth of the sun" to my feet, and to imagine the blood supply to the warts being cut off and them shriveling away. I think my parents though it was dumb at first but as a kid I didn't have any preconceptions. And it actually worked - over the course of a couple weeks the warts visibly shrunk for the first time. I ended up getting them lasered off but I'm pretty sure if I had kept up the sessions long enough they would have disappeared completely.

When considering external events though, I think it's important to realize that visualization ≠ attraction. We aren't telepathic.
I had a whole series of recordings that I listened to constantly. Along with mentally visualizing the message on the tapes, I used them to make a come-back. Yes, I took a class in hypnosis, and then I hired the teacher to help me create the recordings and hone the self-suggestions. Since the doctors couldn't help me, I had to find another way to get better. I wanted to live. I did learn a lot about crafting self-suggestions and how our brains work. And that has been very helpful in business marketing.

SilverGR

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
200%
Nov 4, 2019
I use a fair amount of metaphysical stuff in life and business. It works incredibly well.
wow, didn't expect to hear this here! I am glad you had success it! I know about magick, but I (currently) refrain from using it or advocating from its use due to the training of mind and training in morality that it requires (for best results)... doesn't that include all metaphysical/supernatural phenomena?

D

Deleted85763

The irony about your question is in order for visualization to work you must believe in it! Let me repeat: In order for visualization to work you must believe in it!

Visualize right before you go to bed and right when you wake up. Report back here in a month.

Jobless

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
Jun 8, 2017
EU
Why call it visualization? Confusing. Just call it focus. As you think, so you do, and as so you become.

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
The irony about your question is in order for visualization to work you must believe in it! Let me repeat: In order for visualization to work you must believe in it!

Visualize right before you go to bed and right when you wake up. Report back here in a month.
Ok, i will do as you say.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
wow, didn't expect to hear this here! I am glad you had success it! I know about magick, but I (currently) refrain from using it or advocating from its use due to the training of mind and training in morality that it requires (for best results)... doesn't that include all metaphysical/supernatural phenomena?
I believe we are all spiritual beings living a physical life that we choose. Probably in the minority on this forum but that is what I believe.

Why call it visualization? Confusing. Just call it focus. As you think, so you do, and as so you become.
I'm sure that we all see this differently. I agree with the focus but the focus is not with the mind. It is with the part of you that is your being. The mind is a constant source of noise. :)

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
I'm a great believer.

When I was young, I constantly had kidney infections, internal bleeding, and organ failure. I ended up with very serious kidney damage and I was in my late teens and early 20s. I took tons of antibodies -- they didn't work. My body was too weak. At one point the doctors at a world-class hospital told me that I had 2 weeks to 2 months to live. Since there was nothing they could do besides dialysis, and I was too weak to walk or do anything, I had to make a plan.

Packman was a very popular new game at the time. So I spent all my time flat on my back playing Packman in my head. My white blood cells were the Packmen hunting down and consuming the bad bacteria. I mentally hunted down all the bacteria by targeting the different areas of my body. Then I sent my imaginary handyman crew to fix the damage. I imagined my kidneys and other damaged parts to be whole and healthy pink rather than scared and damaged.

In a short time, I gave the pain pills cold turkey, against my doctor's advice. I took hypnosis lessons to learn how to make powerful self-suggestions and do natural pain control. By then, the doctors said I'd never make it to 30 and sure not to 40. I just laughed at them and carried on.

I worked in real estate so I could control my activities and work as I was able. When I was out door-knocking and got too tired, I'd sit on the curb and rest for a while. I became very successful regardless of the health issues.

I'm now in my late 60s and I'm still here. I still must watch everything that I eat and how many activities I can do. I can't run, but I can walk. Sometimes I still have the terrible kidney pain, but most days I am just about pain-free. My blood work still shows that I have kidney issues, but they are not immediately life-threatening. Most people around me don't know about my kidney problem. And yes, I'm still working...
Amazing, its prove that human can do anything if they have strong will.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
453%
Mar 15, 2018

not quite the same thing in my opinion.

Goal setting is focus. Studying, learning, training - all of that is focus.

but visualizing is more like dreaming to me. By choice. I imagine important meetings going well before they start. In my mind’s eye, the story unfolds a particular way way.

It may all be just self confidence after the visualization, but I don’t need to know the mechanics. I just know it seems to work for me. Very often. Too often to ignore.

Call me nuts, but there is some energy out there that’s beyond my comprehension. If I can tap into it, it’s like a shortcut to better performance. Mentally and physically.

Don’t hang your hat exclusively on visualizations, that’s naive. Use it in addition to everything else - like focused effort towards your goal and objective.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
291%
Apr 24, 2016
I'm a great believer.

I think this is what can break the average person. Being told by doctors in a top hospital that you're a goner.

I have a similar story to yours and I know what it's like. Almost to the T. Except with my intestines. Also happened in my late teens and early 20s, approaching mid 20s now.

Being healthy, for me, is a matter of mentality. If I feel sick, depressed, weak, vulnerable - the inflammation seems to increase and the symptoms start. If I feel empowered, determined, lucky, and optimistic - I'm as healthy or healthier than anyone.

It's almost like our perception shapes our reality.. who would've thought?

@WJK and anyone interested - check out the greek centenarian Stamatis Moraitis!

AnasHarn

Bronze Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
133%
Sep 1, 2021
France
I was very sceptical about visualisation because the first time I heard about it was related to all "The Secret" universe and it was like : Visualise something, think about it everyday and it will come to your life by magic...

Since then I saw some serious people talking about Visualisation and I did some researches and it was a totally different use of it. In fact Visualisation was used as a mental preparation for the task you have to take. And for me it worked well.

Just like a champion visualising his victory before going to the game, visualising successful job interviews or meetings always gave me like a feeling of deja-vu / confidence.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I think this is what can break the average person. Being told by doctors in a top hospital that you're a goner.

I have a similar story to yours and I know what it's like. Almost to the T. Except with my intestines. Also happened in my late teens and early 20s, approaching mid 20s now.

Being healthy, for me, is a matter of mentality. If I feel sick, depressed, weak, vulnerable - the inflammation seems to increase and the symptoms start. If I feel empowered, determined, lucky, and optimistic - I'm as healthy or healthier than anyone.

It's almost like our perception shapes our reality.. who would've thought?

@WJK and anyone interested - check out the greek centenarian Stamatis Moraitis!
Ditto.

I just get up every morning and I keep on getting along -- no matter how I feel. You're right. Keeping an upbeat attitude is imperative. These situations change a person. It makes the simple things in life more important -- especially the people.

It also makes me very grateful and a lot more tolerant in some situations. In others, I walk away a lot more quickly. I just see things a lot clearer.

Edit: If I die today, I have lived more than almost everyone around me. I have lived every day and every moment with great passion!

D

Deleted85763

Ok, i will do as you say.
I'm glad you are taking it seriously. Many professional athletes, musicians and others use visualization. It's been proven in respects to "practicing in your mind", i.e., musician plays instrument in their head and when they actually play the instrument they are better. BUT WHAT'S REALLY INTERESTING is the fact it has been known for over 100 years as a way to get into a part of the mind call the "subconscious". If you want to know more look up Napoleon Hill + autosuggestion and read his instructions. That was written at the tiem when visualization was very popular, particularly in France.

Belief, absolute faith, that it works is the key. Repetition is also vital. You need to give it time. But as Napoleon Hill stated, it will cause miracles. Not magic. Miracles in things that do not violate the laws of science. The world knows like .000001 of the actual science that exists! We know next to nothing.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
If I die today, I have lived more than almost everyone around me. I have lived every day and every moment with great passion!
I feel the same exact way. Can't imagine many people have done the crazy things that I have done. In fact, I don't think people always believe me when I tell them stories. :)

prince1234

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
65%
Sep 8, 2021
I'm glad you are taking it seriously. Many professional athletes, musicians and others use visualization. It's been proven in respects to "practicing in your mind", i.e., musician plays instrument in their head and when they actually play the instrument they are better. BUT WHAT'S REALLY INTERESTING is the fact it has been known for over 100 years as a way to get into a part of the mind call the "subconscious". If you want to know more look up Napoleon Hill + autosuggestion and read his instructions. That was written at the tiem when visualization was very popular, particularly in France.

Belief, absolute faith, that it works is the key. Repetition is also vital. You need to give it time. But as Napoleon Hill stated, it will cause miracles. Not magic. Miracles in things that do not violate the laws of science. The world knows like .000001 of the actual science that exists! We know next to nothing.
Amazing ,It really work .Today i do as you say and it really work. Thanks

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Very interesting MJ. How do you practice visualization? And any prticular source for learning the technique you use?

I wrote about it in Unscripted (book 2).

Basically, for new weight achievements, I pictured myself lifting the weight easily and effortlessly.

There's an experiment you can do with visualization that I've done for years to prove its effectiveness. Folks who went to the last Fastlane Summit should remember it as I demonstrated. Perhaps someone can explain.

Raoul Duke

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
324%
Feb 26, 2016
I believe “Alien” is a derogatory term for Extraterrestrials.

Black_Dragon43

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
337%
Apr 28, 2017
‍☠️ Eastern Europe
I wrote about it in Unscripted (book 2).

Basically, for new weight achievements, I pictured myself lifting the weight easily and effortlessly.

There's an experiment you can do with visualization that I've done for years to prove its effectiveness. Folks who went to the last Fastlane Summit should remember it as I demonstrated. Perhaps someone can explain.
Ah, the turning experiment? I remember reading that in Unscripted and trying it - it worked!

D

Deleted85763

Amazing ,It really work .Today i do as you say and it really work. Thanks
I should have also told you that I have been doing visualizations when I wake up for many years. I try to do it at night, too, but I end up falling asleep! That's the best time though as the subconscious has an "outcropping" where instruction can be given and received easily. Similar to the morning.

My results? I found that while I haven't yet lived the exact life I visualize it has given me an equivalent and I have had numerous amazing experiences where some of the visualizations have come true. It is more than amazing. The really difficult thing is absolute belief that it will happen and maybe that's why I have not gotten full results. I often find myself with a little bit of doubt when doing do it. Still going through the motions sets me up nicely for the day.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.