The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Does the music you listen to affect your enteripenural efforts?

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
I love to listen to rap music mostly for the beat but I don't agree with the things they talk about.

For example most of the rap songs I listen to talk about:
  • Guns, violence, committing crime and going to jail
  • Selling drugs and taking drugs.
  • Degrading women and pimping.
  • Alcohol
Like I said I enjoy the music mostly for the beat and the artist flow, but does the lyrics affect me on a subconscious level.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Untamed_fast

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
70%
May 5, 2018
Well as long as you don't start acting those things out there shouldn't be an issue(Selling drugs IS a productocracy so that should be fine).

Maybe on a subconscious level it'll make you start chasing money instead of problems to solve which will be an issue.

Expand your horizons and listen to different music for 1-6 weeks and see if you feel or think any differently. ask your family and close ones if you changed.

BlabbaSingo

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Jul 11, 2018
I think it does to a degree, but only insofar as it helps your mood in general. That said, Nothing More's '"Don't Stop" and "Do You Really Want It" get my head back in the game quickly.

Invictus

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
343%
Apr 6, 2016
Louisiana
I have enjoyed PBR and my truck a bit more since I started listening to country.

That's only half a joke. There may be some truth to the type of music you're listening to. It's part of your environment, and your environment is a big factor in how you think/act.

P.S. You may enjoy this song btw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WopyrETP-CU

andyhaus44

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
154%
May 17, 2017
St. Charles, MO
Papi016, have you ever heard the song "Since I was broke" by Russ? (It's a very positive, inspiring song)

I love to listen to rap music mostly for the beat but I don't agree with the things they talk about.

• Alcohol

Tommo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
168%
Jan 21, 2018
Perth Australia
If you believe that self-talk and affirmations work on the mind as I do, then I would be careful and discriminating of what I listen to. If the mind hears such talk then it possibly thinks these are your feelings and thoughts and can cause negative and/or aggressive feelings. I pick my music for positive moods mostly and no self pitying junk. What do you think of The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, I love it?

ApparentHorizon

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
301%
Apr 1, 2016
Greenville, SC
Like I said I enjoy the music mostly for the beat and the artist flow, but does the lyrics affect me on a subconscious level.

Just listen to the ones that talk about money and hoes. Problem Solved!

I think music is more like video games. Just because you listen to gang bangers doesn't mean you'll go out and do something stupid.

Though if you have an inclination towards a mentality. Say...playing the victim. Listening to crap lyrics that reaffirm your beliefs may be damaging.

Multiple studies actually show music is good for memory and verbal intelligence.

One particular paper which I found fascinating, showed the correlation between instrumentals and high IQ.

Have you ever heard the myth, that letting babies listen to Beethoven makes them smarter? Or you ever see in movies, the brilliant businessman playing easy strings in the background?

Well there's some truth to that. But it doesn't necessarily have to be classical music. It turns out, that listening to any instrumentals, is good for you.

So to make the best of it, I put hip hop instrumentals to audiobooks.

Argue

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
385%
Oct 1, 2016
NYC
I’m from New York baby, I LOVE hip hop, rap, and r&b.

I look at rap etc like affiliate marketers dominating a niche (cars, sex, getting girls, drugs, etc).

The Abundant Man

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Jul 3, 2018
Your brain copies through observation using mirror neurons aka the mirror effect/modeling. Here's a scientific journal on it by the National Institute of Health: Mirror neuron system

Dr. William Skinner's infamous Bolo Doll experiment also shows how modeling works in practical application. They had a bolo doll that moved back and forth. They had a child play with toys in a playroom. A very angry adult would come in and start hitting the doll violently. After the adult left, the child did the exact same thing. This has been repeated in multiple studies with various families.

But then again mirror neurons deal with observation. Not sure about music.

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.

Danny Sullivan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
207%
Jul 2, 2018
Germany
Ahhhw... a music thread. What would this world be without music?

This is what you get when you open a music thread.

These kind of songs are nice for working or workouts. Yet i tend to turn the music off if there's something difficulty that i fail to solve for a certain amount of time... as if i'd get more focus. It's like turning the music off when you're searching for a parking spot. Weird.

ZF Lee

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
180%
Jul 27, 2016
Malaysia

• Alcohol
I attended a study success course by Adam Khoo from Singapore, before Form 4 in high school.

One of the takeaways from the course was that music can help when you are studying or working.

However, the music should:

• Have no words. Most entrepreneural work like copywriting, sales and formation of operating procedures will deal with words. If you are writing sales copy for a bicycle and Justin Bieber's Despacito chimes in at the same time, your brain is gonna have a severe conflict of interest. :rofl:Find instrumental music. I am a fan of Piano Guys for that. :)
  • Make sure the music has some fast paced segments. If its a slow-mow all the way, your brain is going to follow likewise.
On a slight derail, instrumental music isn't as boring as people think of it. My love for music was poisoned back when I was younger, as my teachers merely introduced me to boring classical music that sounded mellow, difficult and tasteless. Instruments like the piano, cello and violin became dreary.

Then later in life, I found modern musicians like Lindsey Stirling and Chris Botti, and I was like, 'God, I missed out too much!'

SMH

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
258%
Mar 20, 2018
Poland
At some point I had a problem with subconsciously chasing money at some point(thanks worldstar). I was able to fix it easily after noticing though.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
Yanni (the older stuff) really moves me into a state of gratitude and bliss. I discovered his music many years ago back in Chicago when I was struggling with suicidal thoughts. Not sure I would have survived without it. No joke.

To this day, I still listen to it and it still does something to me that I can't articulate.

papi016

Bronze Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
153%
Jun 16, 2017
Marlin, Tx
when I was struggling with suicidal thoughts.
It’s hard for me to believe that you had suicidal thoughts MJ even though I don’t know you personally only from what I read in Unscripted . Even when you said it in Unscripted it was still hard for me to believe that you had felt that way.

I’m glad you got out of that funk and gifted us what your masterpiece Unscripted .

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
He talked about it in TMF I think, driving limos pondering his life in the miserable cold winter.

Saw this posted in the forum before somewhere, played this a few times while talking to customers lol.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIUf8eYPqA

Music helps for sure

Zcott

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
213%
Jul 24, 2018
I think with lyrics it might not change who you are but it might affirm who you are and your convictions.

For me, this song here is a complete affirmation of me and how I view working life (which is why I now identify as an entrepreneur):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZCVds_Q3WE

Dubidu

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
175%
Apr 2, 2018
UK
Lyrics are important to me. I want the entire experience from the music. Great sound, mood changing, and messages that lead to ponderance.

There's some (possibly pseudo)-scientific research saying that Baroque music is meant to be good for creative ideas/studying/working. I happen to like it so have that playing on a loop when I'm working. Can't say massive inspiration has struck yet!

Ninjakid

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
217%
Jun 23, 2014
Buddy Guy Eh
I mostly listen to hip-hop and R&B, especially when I work out, I find it energizing

COSenior

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
171%
Jun 22, 2013
Colorado
There is credible scientific research that music can and will affect your predisposition toward a message. (Robert Cialdini's Pre-Suasion explains how, and how he and other researchers verified the premise). With that in mind, you can affect your own mood and likelihood of acting in a way you choose by what kind of music you listen to as you begin and continue a task. I would not be surprised to learn that listening to rap music about socially unacceptable activities would at least make your mood an angry one, not something I'd think would be productive.

Brian Suh

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
118%
May 19, 2018
It definetly impacts your mood. When I listen to stuff like odesza I think life is all about chilling *bullshit* but when I listen to things like eminem, drake, biggie smalls I feel like conquering the world.

Niptuck MD

plutocrat-in-training
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
164%
Aug 31, 2016
NORWAY - POLAND - WEST EUROPE
try some rachmoninoff it will move you to tears.
furthermore i listen to everything and i mean everything; from west coast OG gangsta rap to east coast pete rock and yesteryear stalwarts like Big L big pun, DMX (just before a big meeting lol) rakim, method man, jadakiss etc down south rappers, scarface, 3-6 mafia , 8ball and MJG, nothing new however. Migos is for the shit can.

in terms of rock once must not forget the sound and development of beatles, hendrix, doors, queen, led zeppelin, van halen (my favorite same bday as david lee roth haha), eagles, deep purple, def leppard, zz top, zappa, through the 80's, metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, ozzy, 90s , nirvana, peral jam, alice in chains, chili peppers, godsmack, Rage against the machine, disturbed, (all first grade not just musicianship but lyrical as well)

also in the 70's 80s the incredible funk era; made possible by mo-town, quincy jones, don cornelius etc real good soul music too from pendergrass, baker, curtis mayfield, kool and the gang, ohio players, the jones sisters, patti labelle, eugene wilde, could go on and on...

and then the orchestral symphonic ones like boston philharmonic, yoyo ma, edgar meyer, olga kern etc

and then the foregin language type music lol (expanding horizons) arabic, indian and spanish music
even norwegian black metal!

music has no boundaries, no limits no means of ranking. Its what is transposed in a givin individual and set forth to the world at that moment. Some may be part of an agenda, some not others are really trying to convey their message i just take in the experience overall.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI

always remember "do the evolution"

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!