• The Entrepreneur Forum | Startups | Entrepreneurship | Starting a Business | Motivation | Success
  1. The forum software will be upgraded on Sunday May 26th and may not look normal during the transition. Some functionality may be offline. This is TEMPORARY and is expected to last up to 8 hours.
  2. Join 50,000+ entrepreneurs
    who are kicking butt and
    winning their dream life.

Unscripted™ Entrepreneurship:
    A Business That Pays More Than Money, It Pays Time.

"Fastlane" is an entrepreneur discussion forum based on The Unscripted Entrepreneurial Framework (TUNEF) outlined in the two best-selling books by MJ DeMarco (The Millionaire Fastlane and UNSCRIPTED™). From multimillionaires to digital nomads, the forum features real entrepreneurs creating real businesses.

Download (Unscripted) Download (Millionaire Fastlane)  Register
    Registering for the forum removes this block!

OFF-TOPIC Does the music you listen to affect your enteripenural efforts?

Discussion in 'Off Topic: Sports, Funnies, Pop-Culture' started by papi016, Aug 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. papi016

papi016 Bronze Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $353
    I love to listen to rap music mostly for the beat but I don't agree with the things they talk about.

For example most of the rap songs I listen to talk about:
    • Guns, violence, committing crime and going to jail
    • Selling drugs and taking drugs.
    • Degrading women and pimping.
    • Alcohol
    Like I said I enjoy the music mostly for the beat and the artist flow, but does the lyrics affect me on a subconscious level.

SMH likes this.
  2. Untamed_fast

Untamed_fast New Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $71
    Well as long as you don't start acting those things out there shouldn't be an issue(Selling drugs IS a productocracy so that should be fine).

Maybe on a subconscious level it'll make you start chasing money instead of problems to solve which will be an issue.

Expand your horizons and listen to different music for 1-6 weeks and see if you feel or think any differently. ask your family and close ones if you changed.

Arun Siva, SMH and ApparentHorizon like this.
  3. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $96,028
    Lyrics are important to me. I want the entire experience from the music. Great sound, mood changing, and messages that lead to ponderance.

4. BlabbaSingo

BlabbaSingo New Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane

Rep Bank:
    $8
    I think it does to a degree, but only insofar as it helps your mood in general. That said, Nothing More's '"Don't Stop" and "Do You Really Want It" get my head back in the game quickly.

5. Invictus

Invictus Silver Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,642
    I have enjoyed PBR and my truck a bit more since I started listening to country.

That's only half a joke. There may be some truth to the type of music you're listening to. It's part of your environment, and your environment is a big factor in how you think/act.

P.S. You may enjoy this song btw

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WopyrETP-CU

6. SteveO

SteveO Legendary Contributor FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $96,028
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  7. andyhaus44

andyhaus44 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,192
    Papi016, have you ever heard the song "Since I was broke" by Russ? (It's a very positive, inspiring song)

papi016 likes this.
  8. papi016

Rep Bank:
    $353
    I am a fan of Russ haven’t heard that song of his will definitely check it out thoo

Thanks!

andyhaus44 likes this.
  9. Tommo

Tommo Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,495
    If you believe that self-talk and affirmations work on the mind as I do, then I would be careful and discriminating of what I listen to. If the mind hears such talk then it possibly thinks these are your feelings and thoughts and can cause negative and/or aggressive feelings. I pick my music for positive moods mostly and no self pitying junk. What do you think of The Message by Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five, I love it?

SMH likes this.
  10. ApparentHorizon

ApparentHorizon Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $8,592
    Just listen to the ones that talk about money and hoes. Problem Solved!

I think music is more like video games. Just because you listen to gang bangers doesn't mean you'll go out and do something stupid.

Though if you have an inclination towards a mentality. Say...playing the victim. Listening to crap lyrics that reaffirm your beliefs may be damaging.

Multiple studies actually show music is good for memory and verbal intelligence.

One particular paper which I found fascinating, showed the correlation between instrumentals and high IQ.

Have you ever heard the myth, that letting babies listen to Beethoven makes them smarter? Or you ever see in movies, the brilliant businessman playing easy strings in the background?

Well there's some truth to that. But it doesn't necessarily have to be classical music. It turns out, that listening to any instrumentals, is good for you.

So to make the best of it, I put hip hop instrumentals to audiobooks.

SMH, ZF Lee and papi016 like this.
  11. Argue

Argue Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,710
    I’m from New York baby, I LOVE hip hop, rap, and r&b.

I look at rap etc like affiliate marketers dominating a niche (cars, sex, getting girls, drugs, etc).

12. The Abundant Man

The Abundant Man Gold Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,712
    Your brain copies through observation using mirror neurons aka the mirror effect/modeling. Here's a scientific journal on it by the National Institute of Health: Mirror neuron system

Dr. William Skinner's infamous Bolo Doll experiment also shows how modeling works in practical application. They had a bolo doll that moved back and forth. They had a child play with toys in a playroom. A very angry adult would come in and start hitting the doll violently. After the adult left, the child did the exact same thing. This has been repeated in multiple studies with various families.

But then again mirror neurons deal with observation. Not sure about music.

13. Mattie

Mattie Platinum Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $29,653
    silentownage001 likes this.
  14. Danny Sullivan

Danny Sullivan Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $1,525
    Ahhhw... a music thread. What would this world be without music?

This is what you get when you open a music thread.

These kind of songs are nice for working or workouts. Yet i tend to turn the music off if there's something difficulty that i fail to solve for a certain amount of time... as if i'd get more focus. It's like turning the music off when you're searching for a parking spot. Weird.

Mattie likes this.
  15. ZF Lee

ZF Lee Platinum Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $9,863
    I attended a study success course by Adam Khoo from Singapore, before Form 4 in high school.

One of the takeaways from the course was that music can help when you are studying or working.

However, the music should:

• Have no words. Most entrepreneural work like copywriting, sales and formation of operating procedures will deal with words. If you are writing sales copy for a bicycle and Justin Bieber's Despacito chimes in at the same time, your brain is gonna have a severe conflict of interest. :rofl:Find instrumental music. I am a fan of Piano Guys for that. :)
    • Make sure the music has some fast paced segments. If its a slow-mow all the way, your brain is going to follow likewise.
    On a slight derail, instrumental music isn't as boring as people think of it. My love for music was poisoned back when I was younger, as my teachers merely introduced me to boring classical music that sounded mellow, difficult and tasteless. Instruments like the piano, cello and violin became dreary.

Then later in life, I found modern musicians like Lindsey Stirling and Chris Botti, and I was like, 'God, I missed out too much!'

16. SMH

SMH Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED

Rep Bank:
    $63
    At some point I had a problem with subconsciously chasing money at some point(thanks worldstar). I was able to fix it easily after noticing though.

17. biophase

biophase Legendary Contributor I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $189,570
    I used to listen to Taylor Swift’s album while packing boxes. :)

I’d pack boxes until the album stopped, then I’d take an hour break, restart the album and start packing again. This was before i had employees!

18. MJ DeMarco

MJ DeMarco Raving Lunatic Staff Member Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass LEGENDARY CONTRIBUTOR Summit Attendee

Rep Bank:
    $404,776
    Admin Post
    Yanni (the older stuff) really moves me into a state of gratitude and bliss. I discovered his music many years ago back in Chicago when I was struggling with suicidal thoughts. Not sure I would have survived without it. No joke.

To this day, I still listen to it and it still does something to me that I can't articulate.

19. papi016

Rep Bank:
    $353
    It’s hard for me to believe that you had suicidal thoughts MJ even though I don’t know you personally only from what I read in Unscripted. Even when you said it in Unscripted it was still hard for me to believe that you had felt that way.

I’m glad you got out of that funk and gifted us what your masterpiece Unscripted.

MJ DeMarco and ZF Lee like this.
  20. sparechange

sparechange Gold Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $4,210
    He talked about it in TMF I think, driving limos pondering his life in the miserable cold winter.

Saw this posted in the forum before somewhere, played this a few times while talking to customers lol.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIUf8eYPqA

Music helps for sure

SteveO likes this.
  21. Zcott

Zcott Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,376
    I think with lyrics it might not change who you are but it might affirm who you are and your convictions.

For me, this song here is a complete affirmation of me and how I view working life (which is why I now identify as an entrepreneur):
    View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZCVds_Q3WE

22. andyhaus44

andyhaus44 Bronze Contributor Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $2,192
    You're welcome :)

23. TonyStark

TonyStark I'm not dead yet Read Millionaire Fastlane I've Read UNSCRIPTED FASTLANE INSIDER Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $15,016
    Ever since I started listening to rap, I can’t stop wearing baggy clothes and carrying a strap.

24. BucketHolly

BucketHolly Contributor

Rep Bank:
    $171
    When I want some good vibes, I am listening to the beat.

25. Dubidu

Dubidu Bronze Contributor Speedway Pass

Rep Bank:
    $902
    There's some (possibly pseudo)-scientific research saying that Baroque music is meant to be good for creative ideas/studying/working. I happen to like it so have that playing on a loop when I'm working. Can't say massive inspiration has struck yet!

SteveO likes this.

Join 1000s of entrepreneurs who are rewriting life's script and winning financial freedom.

---- ----

You must be a member to join the conversation.

Create Account

Join the community fast and easy!

REGISTER

Already have an account? Login here.