- Joined
- Jul 26, 2007
- Messages
- 2,215
Rep Bank
$1,830
$1,830
User Power: 23%
I have decided to post the good, bad and ugly about my journey into the vacation rental business. Since I have already started the trip, I will catch you guys up to speed.
Here is the rundown: I currently own 2 vacation rentals and manage one for a lady. I just started this business in April of '07. So far the learning curve has been a wild ride (isn't it always!). As of today I have about $13k in the bank, ($8k of which is a loan from my dad (interest free until I use it) and I am making around $500/month from the cabins- maybe more- I need to get my financials in better order.
Here is where I want to be: I want to be financially free by 35 (I just turned 30 last month). I want a passive income of at least $10k a month, and I want to be able to continuously develop my ideas/thoughts into real things that make money. I want a net worth of at least $1 million in the next 5 years. ...The first thought/idea is to grow this cabin operation (called Quality Time Cabins). After QTC stands on its own two feet, I would like to develop a website (can't go into too much detail here yet). After that I want to develop a camp for at-risk/ juvenile hall kids.
Here is the plan for Quality Time Cabins for September:
1. Get finances in order so I can see what is really going on.
2. Research, research, research commercial property and see if it is doable for me to make the jump to a larger cabin operation.
3. Get a cleaning checklist done, a FAQ for each cabin done, and the website as automated as we know how...or figure out a way to afford to pay someone else to do it.
4. Develop a marketing strategy for the slow seasons.
Any and all insight, feedback and/or constructive criticism is warmly welcomed!
Here is the rundown: I currently own 2 vacation rentals and manage one for a lady. I just started this business in April of '07. So far the learning curve has been a wild ride (isn't it always!). As of today I have about $13k in the bank, ($8k of which is a loan from my dad (interest free until I use it) and I am making around $500/month from the cabins- maybe more- I need to get my financials in better order.
Here is where I want to be: I want to be financially free by 35 (I just turned 30 last month). I want a passive income of at least $10k a month, and I want to be able to continuously develop my ideas/thoughts into real things that make money. I want a net worth of at least $1 million in the next 5 years. ...The first thought/idea is to grow this cabin operation (called Quality Time Cabins). After QTC stands on its own two feet, I would like to develop a website (can't go into too much detail here yet). After that I want to develop a camp for at-risk/ juvenile hall kids.
Here is the plan for Quality Time Cabins for September:
1. Get finances in order so I can see what is really going on.
2. Research, research, research commercial property and see if it is doable for me to make the jump to a larger cabin operation.
3. Get a cleaning checklist done, a FAQ for each cabin done, and the website as automated as we know how...or figure out a way to afford to pay someone else to do it.
4. Develop a marketing strategy for the slow seasons.
Any and all insight, feedback and/or constructive criticism is warmly welcomed!
Dislike ads? Become a Fastlane member:
Subscribe today and surround yourself with winners and millionaire mentors, not those broke friends who only want to drink beer and play video games. :-)
Access Restricted: Unlock 1,000,000+ Posts
Stop Peeking Through the Keyhole.
Open the Door.
You hit a wall because the best advice isn't free—it's earned. Since 2007, MJ DeMarco has been active here daily (99.9% active rate), building a war room for entrepreneurs who refuse to settle for mediocrity.
- Active Daily: Life-changing content posted dozens of times every day. No dead threads.
- MJ's Inner Circle: Direct access to the author of The Millionaire Fastlane.
- Vetted Network: Connect with founders scaling to 7 and 8 figures.
- Proven Roadmaps: Strategy over motivation. Execution over "hustle porn."
"SCALED TO 6-FIGURE MONTHS"
"Tips and advice here saved me from huge mistakes, others allowed me to scale my business to 6-figure months."— User MitchC
"INSANE QUALITY OF PEOPLE"
"The number of high quality people I've met from this forum has been insane. All of it predicated on building real value."— User Richard Peck
"You are the average of the five people you surround yourself with."
Are you surrounding yourself with success?
