The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Developing an Air Purifier. Would you help me?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Hi Fastlaners,

As the title states, I'm developing an air purifier--As my mission is to improve the quality of people's life's by improving their indoor air quality. In addition to this mission, is my longer-term goal. Which is to help with the environmental issue of outside air pollution.

Currently I'm at the market research phase, I have a survey created with 9 questions which ask for a person's wants/values in an air purifier. Things such as material, cost, and features. With already 16 responses, I've pivoted from using a 3D printer (which would've cut the cost of the unit). As it turns out, the numbers say that people would rather have the unit cost more, but be made out of better materials. This I would've never known without their responses, thanks to the survey.

I didn't know which category to post this in, but I saw the [Product Creation] and thought this was the right area to post it in. I wanted to make this post to see if anyone who is interested in air purifiers, are already owner's, or looking to buy one, would fill out my survey. It'd really help me a lot in steering the direction of product design.

Unfortunately, I don't have the super power to know people's likes / dislikes or what they find valuable. (Although that would be really neat to have). I don't want to produce and give people another mediocre air purifier, I'd like to give something that is of value and that's the point of the survey. To find out what is most valuable to you in an air purifier. Is it features, aesthetics, cost, etc?

Would you help me out by filling out this 9 question survey now? You don't want a useless air purifier, and I don't want to be the one providing you with the useless air purifier.

The link to the survery is: Air Purifier

By the way, if you didn't know. People may become sick more often due to poor indoor air quality. And an air purifier's job is to assist in cleaning the air. Often times you'll see people who have allergies, own pets, or smoke... use air purifiers. So if you're sick often times throughout the year, you may want to check your own home's air quality! That may be the thing that is making you sick more often!

I appreciate you for reading this and taking the time to fill out the survey. Whether or not the air purifier becomes a reality, I'm glad to be taking actions which may benefit people in the future.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
I have a suggestion about a feature that might make your device more attractive to buyers.

Although unflued gas heaters are illegal in many jurisdictions, there are still many in use, and they emit carbon monoxide causing death in some cases.

Even some vented gas heaters can emit carbon monoxide.

There are low cost carbon monoxide detectors, and if you could incorporate one in your purifier that might be a bonus. Alternatively, you could provide one as an incentive bonus when you bring your product to market. The alarm warns residents to ventilate the home.

Walter

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Hi Fastlaners,

As the title states, I'm developing an air purifier--As my mission is to improve the quality of people's life's by improving their indoor air quality. In addition to this mission, is my longer-term goal. Which is to help with the environmental issue of outside air pollution.

Currently I'm at the market research phase, I have a survey created with 9 questions which ask for a person's wants/values in an air purifier. Things such as material, cost, and features. With already 16 responses, I've pivoted from using a 3D printer (which would've cut the cost of the unit). As it turns out, the numbers say that people would rather have the unit cost more, but be made out of better materials. This I would've never known without their responses, thanks to the survey.

I didn't know which category to post this in, but I saw the [Product Creation] and thought this was the right area to post it in. I wanted to make this post to see if anyone who is interested in air purifiers, are already owner's, or looking to buy one, would fill out my survey. It'd really help me a lot in steering the direction of product design.

Unfortunately, I don't have the super power to know people's likes / dislikes or what they find valuable. (Although that would be really neat to have). I don't want to produce and give people another mediocre air purifier, I'd like to give something that is of value and that's the point of the survey. To find out what is most valuable to you in an air purifier. Is it features, aesthetics, cost, etc?

Would you help me out by filling out this 9 question survey now? You don't want a useless air purifier, and I don't want to be the one providing you with the useless air purifier.

The link to the survery is: Air Purifier

By the way, if you didn't know. People may become sick more often due to poor indoor air quality. And an air purifier's job is to assist in cleaning the air. Often times you'll see people who have allergies, own pets, or smoke... use air purifiers. So if you're sick often times throughout the year, you may want to check your own home's air quality! That may be the thing that is making you sick more often!

I appreciate you for reading this and taking the time to fill out the survey. Whether or not the air purifier becomes a reality, I'm glad to be taking actions which may benefit people in the future.
What makes your air purifier different from others?

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I have a suggestion about a feature that might make your device more attractive to buyers.

Although unflued gas heaters are illegal in many jurisdictions, there are still many in use, and they emit carbon monoxide causing death in some cases.

Even some vented gas heaters can emit carbon monoxide.

There are low cost carbon monoxide detectors, and if you could incorporate one in your purifier that might be a bonus. Alternatively, you could provide one as an incentive bonus when you bring your product to market. The alarm warns residents to ventilate the home.

Walter
Hi Walter, that's a great idea! Actually, I was also looking at carbon monoxide detectors. From the survey's results thus far, it seems that after material, filters, and sensor costs. It wouldn't be cost-effective to add an addition carbon monoxide detector into the air purifier. However, I do like the idea of including one with all the launch purchases as a bonus. Thank you for your valuable input!

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
What makes your air purifier different from others?
Hi Kelvin,
Thanks for asking your question. To start off, I'd like to be honest with you. As far as air purification goes, it'll be the same filtration as some on the market currently. This will include a pre-filter, HEPA filter, and charcoal filter. And I'm still thinking on whether or not I want to include a UV light in the process as well. This will get the job done for air purification. Currently, there's no way to eliminate 100% of air pollutants. So I'll get as close to possible as I can with that.

Ways to differentiate thus far,
  • Design and Materials that the air purifier is made up of. (As people want something that lasts longer than the one's currently on market.) Initially I thought of creating something much more affordable by using 3D printing technology to print the parts and shell. But the market says otherwise, they're willing to spend more for something more durable and better.
  • Have some ideas on incorporating sensors to automate the process. People like the idea, but I want to see how feasible and cost-effective it is.
  • Customer service (I know that starting off, Smart Namu will not be world known. There are big players in the game who have done this for years. But recognizing that I won't be a top dog, encourages me to provide better service and experience than the big dogs do.)
  • Work towards becoming a energy-star certified unit that saves people money, while at the same time being efficient.
  • This is in addition to Design and Materials, becoming a unit that is environmentally friendly.

Jumping back on that idea of not being a big dog. I'd like to continually find ways to improve the product, experience, and value that it brings for people. Those are some things to differentiate, but I'm always thinking of what people want, what's the (fish) that they want to eat, and how can I provide more value.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
This is an idea taken from another idea my nephew had. I was willing to fund his original idea (just because he is my nephew) but he became a crackhead so that didn't work out. His idea was to make a system for air filters to automatically change every 30 days. Make it a roller type of system on a timer. Every 30 days the timer makes the motor move x amount to basically pull the clean filter in to place. While his idea was for regular house/building units, you might be able to do this with your system too so it will have another advantage.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
This is an idea taken from another idea my nephew had. I was willing to fund his original idea (just because he is my nephew) but he became a crackhead so that didn't work out. His idea was to make a system for air filters to automatically change every 30 days. Make it a roller type of system on a timer. Every 30 days the timer makes the motor move x amount to basically pull the clean filter in to place. While his idea was for regular house/building units, you might be able to do this with your system too so it will have another advantage.
This means then that there should be an "inventory" I guess, of filters being ready to be swapped? This is an interesting idea.

Walter Hay

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
401%
Sep 13, 2014
World citizen
This means then that there should be an "inventory" I guess, of filters being ready to be swapped? This is an interesting idea.
Rather than a possibly complicated automatic roller system, what about a simpler 30 day timer to alert the owners.

The unit could come with a supply of replacement filters, installed in a suitable container. The last one should have a note alerting the owner to go to your site and order more. If you have their email address you could also, every 30 days email a "time to order" message at least a couple of weeks before their 30 days have passed.

Walter

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Rather than a possibly complicated automatic roller system, what about a simpler 30 day timer to alert the owners.

The unit could come with a supply of replacement filters, installed in a suitable container. The last one should have a note alerting the owner to go to your site and order more. If you have their email address you could also, every 30 days email a "time to order" message at least a couple of weeks before their 30 days have passed.

Walter
Yes an indicator would be helpful. That's actually been some feedback from the survey as well. Having an indicator that tells the life of a filter. I think a smart choice.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Not really an 'inventory' so to speak but a small roll of filter. Not different filters, it would be all 1 roll so the motor would pull it to one side from the other side. I have a reminder on my phone to remind me to change the filter every month but the 5 times I went to Home Depot I forgot to buy them.... finally (43 days & 2 reminders later) I remembered to buy them and then it was the next day before I remembered to change them out. In the case of installing an alarm on the unit, it would go off and if the person forgot to buy a new one it would not go off until another month passed. Or, make it go off every day until the filter was replaced but that would piss some people off. Atleast with my phone it doesn't go off every day but I do see the reminder on my phone every day.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
Not really an 'inventory' so to speak but a small roll of filter. Not different filters, it would be all 1 roll so the motor would pull it to one side from the other side. I have a reminder on my phone to remind me to change the filter every month but the 5 times I went to Home Depot I forgot to buy them.... finally (43 days & 2 reminders later) I remembered to buy them and then it was the next day before I remembered to change them out. In the case of installing an alarm on the unit, it would go off and if the person forgot to buy a new one it would not go off until another month passed. Or, make it go off every day until the filter was replaced but that would piss some people off. Atleast with my phone it doesn't go off every day but I do see the reminder on my phone every day.
I think an indicator would be useful, but then also like your story says, some people forget. Reminds me of direct mail copywriting. Where we would at the end of the ad, have the person take action NOW, as opposed to later. Assuming if they did so later they would forget it. So if there is an indicator. There would have to be some incentive to get the person to purchase a replacement filter, as soon as the indicator says it's ready to change. I can see where a smart roll of filter would be useful.

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Or maybe an app for the phone to remind them (that way they continue to see it like I do) and on the app maybe have it connected so all they have to do is tap and it will order a filter for them if they choose. That way you can get a small % of sales of the filters, especially if you can do it through Amazon.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
By the way, your autocorrect made a great name for the filter.... Smart Roll :)
Haha I didn't even notice that! That was actually a reading mistake on my part haha. :happy: I like it though! Smart Roll!

AFMKelvin

Some Profound Quote Goes Here
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Jan 26, 2016
Rice, Texas
Or maybe an app for the phone to remind them (that way they continue to see it like I do) and on the app maybe have it connected so all they have to do is tap and it will order a filter for them if they choose. That way you can get a small % of sales of the filters, especially if you can do it through Amazon.
I was thinking the same. From a consumer mindset because I don't know anything about air filters.

The best way to make a better filter would be to be on the leading edge of internet of things. That means connecting your filters to the internet. Connect it with Alexa from Amazon or with Google's home mini. Send weekly reports on the quality of air, how much of the filter is left, analyctics on filter use to know what contaminates the air more, automatic ordering of new filter, energy usage to know what hours the filter is needed the most etc.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
I was thinking the same. From a consumer mindset because I don't know anything about air filters.

The best way to make a better filter would be to be on the leading edge of internet of things. That means connecting your filters to the internet. Connect it with Alexa from Amazon or with Google's home mini. Send weekly reports on the quality of air, how much of the filter is left, analyctics on filter use to know what contaminates the air more, automatic ordering of new filter, energy usage to know what hours the filter is needed the most etc.

Yes, It'd be neat to be able to connect with Alexa or Google's home mini. The thing that worries me is that through my survey thus far... The majority of people are looking to pay for an air purifier at the range of $100 - $150. As much as I'd like to add all this connectivity, features, and good material. Only so much can be implemented within this price range. Unless at a higher price but let people.

So far, I'm thinking about using stainless steel (regular) or stainless steel (black) as the products shell. A sleek look, DURABLE, and extremely environmentally friendly (as 100% of it can be recycled). But the cost of that material isn't cheap either.

Ocean Man

Life-long learner.
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
222%
Sep 26, 2018
United States
By the way, I wanted to say thank you Kelvin, Minivanman, and Walter. Your replies have been incredibly helpful and allowed me to brainstorm more ideas from your replies.

Jack Hammer

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 19, 2018
If it has any external lights or LEDs, make sure the user can shut them off at bedtime or they automatically shut off. Also, use orange instead of blue. When the user turns it on at bedtime, the last thing he needs is to be blasted by blue light.

D

Deleted58925

Hey man

Check out the book "The Lean Startup".
The concept of "Validated Learning" might help you.

I wish you the best of luck for your Startup!

Knugs

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
Jan 10, 2016
What does an air purifier do?
How do you define poor air quality?
How does an air purifier help people with immune disorders? (Could it not be causing immune disorders? e.g hygiene theory asthma?)

Why do I need one or why should I get one? The air I breathe at home taste/smells fine? It doesn't feel unhealthy to me.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.