The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Dane Maxwell- Build Software Companies in 6 months w/o money, experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
Wow, thanks for all the insights guys. This thread really helped. I couldnt find those past interview comments or anything about him from outside sources.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

AlasdairM

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Sep 20, 2012
I don't mean this message as a disrespect towards him as I can see that his approach is great. It's just that I think it most likely the results will be disappointing to most of the students while few will indeed create a cool business.

I agree. I'm guessing the results would be typical of any group of people who attempt to start a business...Most will ultimately fail or not even get out of the starting gates.

Brander

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Jun 3, 2011
Australia, USA, Europe
Ask companies what their pain points are, then solve them. Anything more than this and you are over complicating it...

And that is all you need to know.

Asking people for the pain points is good IF those pain points are shared by enough people in a large(er) market.

I approach things differently - I solve what is bugging me PERSONALLY in life and business and then see if the MAJORITY of others have the same problem and most importantly IF that problem is large enough for them to pay GOOD MONEY to solve it. Why do I prefer this? Because I know myself. I know my restless nature is not going to work on something long term I have absolutely no interest in personally.

The only things I wish for everyone else in this world is freedom, liberty, peace and love.
I know I cannot make a decent living promoting those (I tried, I really did), so I have to work on something else I am also personally driven to see in reality. If that is shared by a larger pool of other people, great, let's sell it to them, if not fine as well we'll just build it and use it ourselves to make our lives easier.

The approach to ask people their pain first, is totally effective, (again) provided that a large enough group of people shares the same issue and is willing to pay good money to solve it.

The question is: Are you motivated enough to go through all the shit to provide it to them, continually?

If you mainly enjoy business as a process, you are lucky and you'll do well in anything. If you, on the other hand, enjoy the process of seeing something you are personally interested in come to life more than the process of business, then you are in the same boat as I - solve personal pains and see if they are shared by many others.

halfstepdown88

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
698%
Apr 21, 2012
Las Vegas
At the end of the day, whether you like him or not, if you are into marketing you better be studying this launch. One of the best launches I have seen in a long time.

Went from supposedly a list of 220 people to 110,000 leads in a few months. Everything on there is giving us free value, creating demand/using the words the target audience would use, making it seem extremely urgent and hard to get into with all the applicants to up the perceived value, having a video come out every week giving us more and more awesome free content, etc.

There is something to be learned here. :)

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
At the end of the day, whether you like him or not, if you are into marketing you better be studying this launch. One of the best launches I have seen in a long time.

Went from supposedly a list of 220 people to 110,000 leads in a few months. Everything on there is giving us free value, creating demand/using the words the target audience would use, making it seem extremely urgent and hard to get into with all the applicants to up the perceived value, having a video come out every week giving us more and more awesome free content, etc.

There is something to be learned here. :)

Bingo! We have a winner!

We should be watching the process of what he's doing (the launch sequence) and learning that. He'll get many, many people to sign up for $500/month because of the perceived value he's giving for free. The expected potential of the program will also get people to sign up. It's a very good launch.

machin576

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 7, 2012
I loved this podcast, because Dane is doing exactly what my fastlane business model is:

Apply consumer technologies to industries that are lagging in technology.

The biggest opportunity here, I believe, is the iPad and the huge amount of time it can save companies.

On hiring programmers: We used an American programming company.

Our initial estimate for our program (A web app and tablet/phone app) was $70,000-$150,000.

My business partner and I are both in our late twenties, and do not have that kind of cash, so we traded a royalty for the programming.

Dane confirmed that this was a sign of a good programmer, so I got very pumped upon hearing that.

I think if you are developing simple mobile apps, overseas isn't a bad idea, but more complex things I like programmers that I can go see face to face.

ivo

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Feb 26, 2012
Currently working on a project in Brussels, Belgiu
Hi to all,
Dane's interviews are popping all around successful people interviews on Internet, if he is good or bad that is on you to decide. But from those free interviews you can also get allot of free nuggets of wisdom if those things are new to you. (There were new for me, maybe they are not for you :) ). Copy-writing or how to write sales letters. You learn it by rewriting all great ones by hand on paper, reading them is not enough, just like learning a new foreign language. Also he mentioned a few names in that world that is totally new to me, and when I looked them up on youtube I was amazed how these man can sell anything. Gary Halbert, Jay Abraham, Dan Kennedy. (They sell their products for big money, it seems that this training businesses, so you can earn more are lucrative)
And also to know the value of a repeated customer. People usually buy from same source if they are satisfied with the service. And you should use that to your knowledge, and take care of your customer.

In essence you need to think about other people perspective and are you solving their pain, this is easier said then done. And it took me soo much time to figure it out. For example, most of the times when I am coding and I try be as quick as possible to show results to customers, and workflow that the customer uses ends up being harder for him use. So his pain is still not solved completely. But in my eyes I delivered the feature. And that was because I was not looking at the task with other peoples eyes. Which is wrong. But ok software is never finished, it always needs work.

Hope this could be useful :)

GThreepwood

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
43%
Sep 12, 2012
I dunno, I'm almost always very skeptical about stuff like this.

I've never "bought into" one of them except for that "Mass Control" thing Frank Kern did (if you know and/or remember that.)

Honestly, "Mass Control" helped me a ton.

Using his ideas combined with others has really helped my email marketing in my opinion.

The program was $2,000.

I just ran a sale (that ended today) using some of his basic tactics and made over $9,000 with 3 emails over one week. Not a *ton* of money, but that's not counting the many times I've done it in the past, or modified his basic concepts to have fun with too. I'd still like to be making more, but there did seem to be quite an ROI on that 2k "investment."

Sometimes, a good launch can mean good content.

I may wanna get into Dane's program just to see what's up.

Happy Thursday!
-Sean

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
Absolutely, how to market to the naive.
I love the sarcastic way you mention it.

However....

Naive and Lost is not the same.

There is a need for the uneducated (don't believe me? look at college applications and tuition prices).

People need to be guided.

You have two choices:

a) Ridicule them and do nothing about it
or
b) Create a program, market it and have students go through it. Make money for your time and effort.

It is up to each of us to decide what to do about this.

But again, the market is there YELLING at us, begging us to give them information. How-to. Guidelines. They want a leader.

Now, if you are going to put up a crappy system and scam people then we are talking about a different story.

I prefer to focus on the need and how to supply what the market demands.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I'm almost always very skeptical about stuff like this.
The program was $2,000.
I just ran a sale (that ended today) using some of his basic tactics and made over $9,000 with 3 emails over one week.

OK, so let me see if I understand...

you are skeptical
still, bought one
paid $2k
followed the steps
made $9k using it just once

What was your ROI? 450% if my math is correct, right?

I know exactly what the problem is with these courses:

1. You pay, hoping it will work
2. You read the instructions
3. You decide it is too much work, and clearly, that can't work, right?
4. You don't do anything
5. You complain cause it sucks
6. Find another course and repeat the previous steps

Disclaimer: I don't know anything about the gentleman mentioned in this thread in particular.

PatrickP

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
76%
Mar 16, 2012
I think he was saying it actually was a good ROI.

That he usually is skeptical but in this case he did get something valuable.

andviv

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
40%
Jul 27, 2007
Washington DC
I think he was saying it actually was a good ROI.

That he usually is skeptical but in this case he did get something valuable.
Yes, I got that. And I wanted to use his case as an example.

The real failure with this training and seminars is that people do not follow what they are told. The tasks require that you move way out of your comfort zone. "Go pay $99 to get 20,000 email addresses and send them this exact email" and people don't do it.
Go get "we buy houses" signs and put them in every corner of your city. People won't do it. And then they will complain the material does not work and it was a scam. Go figure.

In this case, he got a 450% ROI and now knows a proven technique. The method works. Can be replicated.

Last night I read some of the comments about the Dane Maxwell ''course?'' and that sounded a lot like a mastermind group to me.

As usual, people that failed were the ones that were "too busy to do everything" and then were unhappy things did not work out well.

If anybody here has done this seminar with him, I'd love to hear about your experience and results.

joona

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
29%
Dec 1, 2011
Budapest, Hungary
I agree. I'm guessing the results would be typical of any group of people who attempt to start a business...Most will ultimately fail or not even get out of the starting gates.

He revealed in a video just few days ago that in the first set of Foundation 78 people started and about 10 of them came out of it with a business. That makes a hit rate of around 12-13%.

Of course, offering this kind of program on a scale will result in to situation where not everyone will be successful. But still I think that the number is pretty low considering that it has very frequent interaction and a proven(?) process.

machin576

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 7, 2012
He revealed in a video just few days ago that in the first set of Foundation 78 people started and about 10 of them came out of it with a business. That makes a hit rate of around 12-13%.

This is almost the exact statistic that MJ gives for succeeding in the Fastlane: 1/7 per his book.

(I read that chapter last night. So freaking good.)

There are always a percentage of people that straight up won't do what you advise them to do.

Another percentage will only do it partially.

Another percentage will do it and fail.

Then another percentage does it and succeeds.

I don't think 12 to 13% is a bad success rate.

I personally will pay to do something, then not do what I am advised to do because the cash is the price I am paying in my mind, not the time/effort + the cash.

They have done a lot of psychological studies on people paying for things and how the payment of money immediately makes us lazy to whatever we payed for.

AgonI

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
45%
Jul 9, 2012
Saint Louis
did a quick search to see any special content on his site:
https://www.google.com/search?q=site:thefoundation.io

He def. has a lot of "Homeboys" as you can see and he obviously knows how to sell stuff ;)

Oh and this video:
[video=youtube;qjOEw0mlGeY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjOEw0mlGeY&feature=player_embedded[/video]

They have a partners program too: http://thefoundation.io/partners/ The video here explains pretty much all their tactics ;)

http://launch.thefoundation.io/ they even had a program(cost 500$ one time fee) to see how they're doing everything.

Enjoy it!

wade1mil

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
246%
Jun 29, 2011
If anyone wants to see a couple more videos of Dane, there are some really good ones on Mixergy.com

The host, Andrew, does some freaking amazing interviews.

Maxjohan

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Mar 26, 2011
What if more than one idea is proven as sell-able, and you now have two ideas to pick from,
and your back at square one again? Grow a pair and pick one. Newbie :)
Really, James Altucher states that you should work on many ideas and see which ones gets momentum and then focus on that one the most, or only. MJ DeMarco says you should focus on one business and make it big.

The quote was from the report posted in this thread:
http://www.google.de/url?sa=t&rct=j...Q9EHkRXEJNwGhQChQ&sig2=Vd9oWikIKJVjb5Ix3qc29Q

I can see how working on one business can be rewarding. Like Microsoft for example, but they do have different programs in their business, word, excel, powerpoint etc. Windows XP software and so on.

On the other hand Richard Branson has lots of interests in different fields.

I guess both works. Or can workout. :)

Also, he didn't give away too much on 5 star, 5 star marketers. Just said that they did lead generation. With a few examples. lol

mapaul04

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 27, 2011
I bet the price is more than $500.00 per month.

I applied and have watched quite a few videos and he has never mentioned price. They will be announcing the price on wednesday and letting all applicants know who's accepted on thursday.

The last time it was $500.00 per month (it was the first one) but I bet the price goes up this time, I would be willing to bet its $1000.00 per month but it could be 750. Last time there were 88 in the group, this time there will be 300. I know they worked out a lot of bugs from the last time. Since they havent mentioned price I am thinking it is going to go up.

They are really selling scarcity and are announcing pricing at the last minute so people dont have time to really contemplate the decision. These are just my thoughts on how this is all playing out.

Dane seems like a good guy and I bet the course is extremely valuable, in the end you will get out what you put in.

nation

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
47%
Oct 2, 2012
The last time it was $500.00 per month (it was the first one) but I bet the price goes up this time, I would be willing to bet its $1000.00 per month but it could be 750. Last time there were 88 in the group, this time there will be 300. I know they worked out a lot of bugs from the last time. Since they havent mentioned price I am thinking it is going to go up.

We should find out today.
My hope is that it's $500 and I am selected.

If it's more, or I am not selected then I'll move on & maybe focus on meeting people here.
It was this thread that caused me to find this forum ... I have been really researching Dane Maxwell since the SPI episode & can say, no matter what happens the media I've consumed involving Dane has caused a shift in my approach, even if just slightly.

The reason I am ok with moving forward with The Foundation (at this point, things can change in the next day or so) is:
1. my wife is on board with it
2. if it's a bad fit, after a month or two I could drop out
3. the relationships I know will be built even in that first month are people that should be assets because they are drawn to the same things as I am

The one real concern I have is a cult of personality. I am not going to bow down and worship Dane ... and I am sure there will be people who do, but I hope there are not too many people there like that to ruin the community that could happen.

Like I said, I am new to here too & have similar hopes here too.

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
IMO all the content you need to follow his approach has already been shared. the foundation sounds like a handholding thing to me, you can have the same here in this forum for free.

don't get me wrong, I feel the same about the content they shared and really like it. in fact I am going to follow this approach, starting now. I just don't think its necessary to pay 500++ a month to be part of the community. to me, the whole foundation thing turned a bit too much into a typical internet markting infoproduct launch.

Is anybody interested in starting a live chat between some members here that are building software or apps, similar to what they have in the foundation, in addition to the forum?

glenm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
Is anybody interested in starting a live chat between some members here that are building software or apps, similar to what they have in the foundation, in addition to the forum?

I would be interested in this. I think the talent pool here is much deeper. I am not saying that Dane is not successful but the wealth of free resources on this forum are awesome.

DavidofMN

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
218%
Apr 19, 2011
Stillwater, MN
IMO all the content you need to follow his approach has already been shared. the foundation sounds like a handholding thing to me, you can have the same here in this forum for free.

don't get me wrong, I feel the same about the content they shared and really like it. in fact I am going to follow this approach, starting now. I just don't think its necessary to pay 500++ a month to be part of the community. to me, the whole foundation thing turned a bit too much into a typical internet markting infoproduct launch.

This would be an interesting experiment to see if some people from this forum could build a software product (based on the outline of what they are doing in The Foundation). I like the idea of a skype or live chat call to report what you've done. I think that I fit the profile of the people that would sign up for The Foundation - no software experience, no idea, etc. Anyone else up for doing something like this?

theag

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
297%
Jan 19, 2012
I'm definitely in on this. I will start a new thread and PM some members that I know are into apps or software about this. I think a skype group would be the easiest option?

I agree with you David, I thought about applying to the foundation but didnt do it because, like I said, I think the information they already provided is enough to start this approach and a similar support build could be built out of this forum.

machin576

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
71%
Sep 7, 2012
I would be down. I have been developing a web and mobile app using a programming company for the past ten months.

Our focus is addressing a need in the construction industry.

One thing I think Dane will offer is great motivation. Nothing motivates like a leader and a community following the leader.

I would go with Dane if I was in your shoes because I am not the most self-motivated. But if you have a lot of motivation, you might do the research yourself, or ask members.

I love Dane because he is selling a system that I am doing.

glenm

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
78%
Apr 12, 2011
Ohio
I would be down. I have been developing a web and mobile app using a programming company for the past ten months.
I would go with Dane if I was in your shoes because I am not the most self-motivated. But if you have a lot of motivation, you might do the research yourself, or ask members.

Not to be harsh but if you need Dane for motivation your going to be let down. There will be 300 people in that group and only the best of the best will get his personal attention. The best of the best will be very self motivated.

Lets get this group going. I know nothing about developing software but I am motivated.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Lol, just got an email form Mr. Dane himself as I am sure several other did as well, the sales page is out, and with it, the pricing! $300/mo for basically nothing helpful, $800/month for "regular" membership, and 10k for a premium. Anyone who buys into this should be tarred and feathered, the real lessons come in his launch & marketing skills, f*** the software stuff

The REAL profit here is not in starting a software company, it's teaching how to start one.
Guru-ing: $800/mo X 300 people= $240,000 a month
Software biz: 3 separate companies, 7k/month each, you get the idea

mapaul04

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
54%
Mar 27, 2011
Lol, just got an email form Mr. Dane himself as I am sure several other did as well, the sales page is out, and with it, the pricing! $300/mo for basically nothing helpful, $800/month for "regular" membership, and 10k for a premium. Anyone who buys into this should be tarred and feathered, the real lessons come in his launch & marketing skills, f*** the software stuff

The REAL profit here is not in starting a software company, it's teaching how to start one.
Guru-ing: $800/mo X 300 people= $240,000 a month
Software biz: 3 separate companies, 7k/month each, you get the idea

Yeah the price went up like I suspected. I dont see why you would choose the $300.00 option, he already basically gave the $300.00 option for free.

One thing you didnt mention is the 100% guarantee, if you follow all the steps for the six month process at the end of the process if you dont have a software company with 10 paying customers he will refund you 100%. With that being said anyone who goes through the process for six months probably wont request a refund if they dont have 10 paying customers but its still a nice touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.