The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cryptocurrency GPU mining

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
This 6x rtx3080ti rig is insane!!

347 MH on raven @ 1960 watts.

I am already figuring out how to make another one.20210820_174824.jpg

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I ordered a sweet 8 card case that has slots right on the motherboard. No need for risers or anything.

There are 3 ASIC high speed fans on the case and it creates a pretty sweet wind tunnel in the case and keeps the cards cool. 20210820_181840.jpg
20210820_184326.jpg

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have been having random restart issues with that 6x 3080ti rig. It is running a 2400 watt server PSU on 240v, and the system software says that is is drawing ~2000 watts. Just in case this is the issue I have just split the cards half-and-half onto two 1400 watt server PSUs instead. Of course I did not have enough cables to power these things, so the rig was down for 3 hours for the building and me running to the store to get the power cables I need.

Let us see if this solves the issue with the reboots. The problem is that these little PSUs are FREAKING LOUD. They are in my basement and the high pitch wine drives me to insanity. Power wise though this frees up my 2400w 240v, which I can then swap onto my other hodge podge system of LHR cards which is drawing about 1450w at the moment and running on ITX power supplies. That one also has some reset issues ever since I increased the power on it. I am pretty sure my 1300w EVGA PSU is on the fritz. I don't think I can load more than like 700-800w onto it.

On Monday I am picking up a pair of 1600w and a 1350w server PSU. I want to fill up my 30a 240v breaker as far as it goes and free up my house plugs again.

* Well that didn't turn out as well as planned. The computer has just shut off twice with the new power supplies, and it won't turn back on. It requires me cycle the PSU's. The only change to the system was swapping those things. I guess the plan of throwing the 2400w on my other machine is out. Although I might put the 2x 1400w power supplies on that one anyways and see how that goes.

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Some updated numbers. I currently have a 1070 and a RX580 card offline. Everything else is up and running (for now).

Total Cards: 70 online (plus 2 offline)
Ethereum: 2,229 MH/s @ 6,640 watts (missing 28 MH/s from 1 card)
Raven: 935 MH/s @ 6,000 watts (missing 15 MH/s from 1 card)

Total effective Ethereum hashrate: 4,099 MH/s @ 12,640 watts

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Nice setup!
Whats your electricity cost per kWh?
Any problems with your electricity provider?
Please compare the 3080 to 3080ti at ETH and Raven. Thanks.
Will you run the 1070 again?

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
Wow. We have 0,285€/kWh. Thats 0,43 CAD!
And my sons mining rig is still quite profitable.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Is mining done in residential or commercial places? What's the cost of residential or commercial electricity cost per kWh?
I am paying roughly 15 cents CAD per kWh right now. I have not yet figured out what I can do in a commercial setting.

Well sad news, the computer store would only give my parents one 3080, even though it was all good to go over the phone. However, one more 3080 is better than no extra 3080s.

Just set that card up, as well as my offline 1070. So that is an extra 65 MH on Raven right now.

Surf&Turf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 22, 2014
Mid-Atlantic
Commercial would be just 0,275€/kWh . Lol
Interesting thread - thank you.

For reference, my US electricity cost is $.07663/kWh. I just got an RTX3060Ti that is paired with a GTX1070 that are mining via Nicehash.
This is my gaming PC, although I rarely play anymore and only in bad weather.

I got the 3060Ti through Newegg's shuffle lottery, sounds like you have great business connections!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Nicehash is a great way to do this for those with gaming rigs, as it is the easiest thing to set up in the world, and you can receive your payments in Bitcoin. When I started out I used to use that program as well. I might one day throw one rig on there as well, mining Ergo, and accepting payments in Bitcoin. I have not done it yet though as I am pretty excited to see my Raven numbers pump up that wallet.

Surf&Turf

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Jun 22, 2014
Mid-Atlantic
I just went out and got a pretty good haul.

8x Zotac 3060
2x Zotac 3060ti
2x EVGA 3060ti

I won't be able to hook them all up yet due to a lack of power and motherboards, but I can get a lot of them. I ordered 2 more of those sweet 8-card case setups from spiderminer, and these are eventually all going to go in those
View attachment 39607
Are you mining Ravencoin because your setups are highly efficient doing it? Or, because you think it has great long term value potential?
Or both...

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Which mining rig setup would be recommended if the variable of electricity costs were zero and all that mattered was the highest hash rate per dollar?
Lol. I don't know anything about ASIC machines yet but I guess they are power hungry beasts. You could probably find some that are considered door stops because they cost more to run than they generate for essentially free. Pick some of those up and plug them in!!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
What I am doing now is making big-stable rigs that I don't need to touch again. A lot of my stuff is just random cards thrown together because most of my purchases have been random. I am working on completing things, and then making nice complete rigs.

So far I have the following done:
8-card 3060 build in a server case
8-card 3060/70 build in a server case
8-card 6700xt build in a server case
8-card 580xt build in an open frame, I want to move this over to a server case when I order more of them
7-card 3080ti in an open frame (I am actually working on this one today. Well this was a failure. The motherboard ran 7 AMD cards fine, absolutly refuses to run more than 6 Nvidia cards. What a waste of time with several hours down due to fiddling)
6-card 3090/3080 in an open frame
7-card 1070 in an open frame

And a bunch of random builds with various 10, 20 and 30 series Nvidia cards, as well as some 580xt and a 5700xt. The 10 series cards are probably going to remain just some random mix of cards. When the next crypto winter comes I would love to pick up a stack of 2070 super and 1660 super/ti cards and make complete builds for those cards. Right now I just have 2 2070s and 3 1660s cards.

Youtube is up to 114 subs, 250.4 watch hours, and 11,672 views

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I have been having random restart issues with that 6x 3080ti rig. It is running a 2400 watt server PSU on 240v, and the system software says that is is drawing ~2000 watts. Just in case this is the issue I have just split the cards half-and-half onto two 1400 watt server PSUs instead. Of course I did not have enough cables to power these things, so the rig was down for 3 hours for the building and me running to the store to get the power cables I need.

Let us see if this solves the issue with the reboots. The problem is that these little PSUs are FREAKING LOUD. They are in my basement and the high pitch wine drives me to insanity. Power wise though this frees up my 2400w 240v, which I can then swap onto my other hodge podge system of LHR cards which is drawing about 1450w at the moment and running on ITX power supplies. That one also has some reset issues ever since I increased the power on it. I am pretty sure my 1300w EVGA PSU is on the fritz. I don't think I can load more than like 700-800w onto it.

On Monday I am picking up a pair of 1600w and a 1350w server PSU. I want to fill up my 30a 240v breaker as far as it goes and free up my house plugs again.

* Well that didn't turn out as well as planned. The computer has just shut off twice with the new power supplies, and it won't turn back on. It requires me cycle the PSU's. The only change to the system was swapping those things. I guess the plan of throwing the 2400w on my other machine is out. Although I might put the 2x 1400w power supplies on that one anyways and see how that goes.

A bigger factor than the peak power output is the amperage on the 12V rails. If the PSU can't supply enough amperage, it doesn't matter what the peak power output is.

I wouldn't go with anybody other than Corsair or Seasonic for PSU.

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
what's the average gpu utilization on these cards during mining? I've got a 2080Ti laying around (lucky me) that I could be using to mine, but I'm not sure the extra $4 a day would be worth the additional heat added to an already warm room (my office is 5 degrees F warmer than the hallway).

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
what's the average gpu utilization on these cards during mining? I've got a 2080Ti laying around (lucky me) that I could be using to mine, but I'm not sure the extra $4 a day would be worth the additional heat added to an already warm room (my office is 5 degrees F warmer than the hallway).
Cards run full out. You will want to load up some OC software and put that thing at maybe 70% power, +800ish mem.

I don't have a 2080ti so I can't tell you what exact settings to use, but it should do somewhere between 50-60 hashes on Ethereum.

One card probably won't add a ton of heat to your room, but it will add some. It will probably be at 50-60C 100% of the time, with the memory temps even higher than that.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
What the heck. Here we are. This is the video I posted a few hours ago, first of a new series. I am going to be talking about a general overview of what I have, and where I am going. I'd like to do it every Monday.

YouTube

Last edited:

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
We have about 15 GPUs. They ate built in a rig. That rig is in a kind of tent.
one blower gets cold air into it, one the warm out.
I have changed the glas of one window into wood. Trough holes cold air in, warm out.
In Winter I ll leave the warm air in the house.
That setup is quite practical to build into a normal living house without bigger changes.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I made a big list of stuff I need to start recording for YouTube. I don't see making a daily video an issue as far as content is concerned. If something comes up with the family thought I might miss a day here and there though.

Up to 320 Subs and 863 watch hours. Looks like I will probably hit my sub count faster than the watch hours for monetization. I was also aiming to have this done by the end of October. By the way things are going this might realistically happen in early October.

I went and checked out an industrial location for rent with 400 amp of power capabilities. The place was bad a$$. I would LOVE some space like that. Office space up front to get work done. Tons of room in the back for all the gear I would ever need. I could set up big benches to do work and assembly on. There were 3 big air vent tubes running through the building and out the back. I could tie in the rig exhaust and vent the hot air right out of the building without too much work. I still need to make some money work, but I am going full steam ahead with all this anyways. I will figure it out.

I am also in talks with someone to purchase their gear, which is running 1.6 GH on Ethereum. Getting industrial space and an instant 1.6 extra GH would be a pretty cool next step.

jawmes8

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Sep 20, 2021
Great thread and thank you for writing everything out. Love to see something like this instead of the usual response to mining, "You're too late" or "iTs nOt WoRth iT". Congrats on your accomplishments!

I've lurked on the forum throughout the years but decided to make an account.

I might have missed this in the thread, do you use any mining pools?

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
YouTube numbers are starting to add up. So close to monetization now!
703 Subs
2,438 Hours watchtime

I have 97 GPU running right now, and 1 down for repairs

Total Hashrate as Reported by Mining Software:

Ethereum: 2,607 MH

Raven: 1,510 MH

Power is roughly 16,000 Watts

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Screenshot_20211011-212700_YT Studio.jpg

I need a few more watch hours, but it should only be another two days or so!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I’ve got an rx580 not doing anything, what would you suggest as a starting point? Raven coin?

Might have to visit Best Buy to see if they have any other stock on hand
You can get anywhere from 27-32 MH on Ethereum with an 8gb rx580!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada

DoppleGanger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 17, 2021
Use a mining software called "team Red Miner" for your AMD card.
I got that, just did a quick run without looking at any instructions, and only got 6hs, so I need to do some reading and research for sure!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I got that, just did a quick run without looking at any instructions, and only got 6hs, so I need to do some reading and research for sure!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211019-184111_Brave.jpg
    Screenshot_20211019-184111_Brave.jpg
    279.6 KB · Views: 10

DoppleGanger

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
143%
Oct 17, 2021
I’m getting 24 now, not sure if I have it right 100 percent yet, but I did get some eth already (I just mean some pool “shares” to be crystal clear)

Last edited:

lowtek

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
332%
Oct 3, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
I’m getting 24 now, not sure if I have it right 100 percent yet, but I did get some eth already (I just mean some pool “shares” to be crystal clear)
be careful about what pool you're using. Some of them use a wonky scheme where you're not really getting ethereum, you're getting credits. Make sure to read the payout conditions carefully.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
377%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
GAH!!! Talk about a frustrating 2 days of working on this.

I was able to get to the computer store this morning and get the CPU, and just got it all installed. It is 9:30PM local time, and I have been screwing around with this one since 6pm. 3 hours of troubleshooting to get this damn thing up and running! Finally got it though, I hope this works for a long time, I don't want to do this again.

My wife was at work all day, and I was fiddling all night, so that is two days I have not been able to get anything up on youtube. I did manage to film a lot of footage over the last few days, so tomorrow I will be editing that and get it up.

I want to start doing a few hands on videos a week, maybe an update on where the farm is going every other week, and then start doing some talking about OC settings, new card and coin rumors, and maybe some speculative mining that I am doing.

I talked more with my cousin. We are going to start setting up the 240v 30a electrical breakers and wiring that I need. I have 5 server case rigs to move out that way, and I want to order another 5-8 and get some more going.

To start we are going to set up three 30a breakers. That will be good for roughly 15kW of power which should do me for a while! I want to move as much as I can out there right now, and free up my place and my parents to build rigs at. Once everything is 100% stable I will move them out to the farm and keep doing this. They get a nice discount on power for some "ranching" discount, lol, time to put it to good use!

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.