The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cryptocurrency GPU mining

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I was struggling with some m.2 issues (unrelated to mining) and was diving into possible solutions.

One of the main issues I came across was that many motherboards use the pcie lanes as an either/or space for the pci slots and the m.2 slots. If the occupy the same lane, you can basically only use one or the other, but not both. From my understanding this means that the m.2 could disable a pci slot and vice-versa.

It's been a while since I've been into the hardware game so this very well may not be your issue - but it seemed to be the common culprit to a lot of m.2 issues that other users around the net have.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Here are some hard numbers I am throwing up just for a time stamp for myself.

GPU: 67
ASIC: 0
Power Draw: 11,500 watts (~$1,300 CAD/month)
Ethereum hashrate: 2,100 MH/s (1.47 Eth/month @ $3017 USD)
Raven Hashrate: 750 MH/s ( (23,125 RVN/month @ $0.1357 USD)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Nice setup!
Whats your electricity cost per kWh?
Any problems with your electricity provider?
Please compare the 3080 to 3080ti at ETH and Raven. Thanks.
Will you run the 1070 again?
All prices in CAD

My all in electricity costs are roughly $0.15 per kWh. I will check the new bill when it comes in and double check this. I also need to call the utility provider and see what they charge in the industrial area, and what I can do to lower my costs. I have not yet had any issues with power delivery, but I imagine if weed were illegal I would be getting a knock on my door, at which time I would tell them to screw off and come back with a warrant.

All new graphics cards are the LHR variant, and so they mine Ethereum at 50%. There are a few tricks to get them up to like 70%, but I am not screwing around on a large scale (and potentially lose stability) to figure this out. Besides, with Ethereum payouts being so low now it does not even make sense to worry about this.

These are my latest costs and figures on some recent cards. Please note that it is nearly impossible to find most cards, especially the 3080, so prices are a bit higher than they would otherwise be. The 3080ti also come in a package with a 850w PSU, so prices are a bit higher than they otherwise would be. I am keeping all of my PSU's for future rigs. I learned my lesson trying to sell gear that I thought I would not be using.

3080ti -- $2037 -- 58 MH/s -- 325 watts -- $35.12/MH -- 178kH/w
3080 -- $1344 -- 50 MH/s -- 270 watts -- $26.88/MH -- 185kH/w
3070ti -- $1260 -- 39.6 MH/s -- 250 watts -- $31.82/MH -- 158 kH/w
3070 -- $1024 -- 31 MH/s -- 150 watts -- $33.03/MH -- 207 kH/w
3060ti -- $783 -- 28.6 MH/s -- 160 watts -- $27.38/MH -- 179 kH/w
3060 -- $685 -- 23.5 MH/s -- 135 watts -- $29.15/MH -- 174 kH/w

For reference a 1070 gets about 15 MH/s on raven at 140 watts. So roughly 105kH/w. Not even close to as efficient as any of the 30 series cards.

So the overall best card to get would be the 3070 as it is far and away the most efficient. The last model that I was able to find is also one of the more expensive ones, so most would be $50-100 less than this if you can find one.

The 3080 is the second best as its price per hash is super low, it has great efficiency, and it is super powerful so you can have a very power dense rig.

The 3080ti is roughly on par for efficiency when compared to the other non 3070 cards, but the price per hash is higher. When you take into consideration it also has a PSU that I could sell for $150 quite easily, the price would actually drop to $32.53/MH which would effectively make it the same cost as the 3070 and 3070ti. However, I like this card as it is just an absolute TON of power in such a small form. I am able to make super powerful rigs with these that don't take up an absolute load of room in my house, and space is at a premium for me right now. I literally have rigs sitting on recliners in my theater room. This card is also the easiest for me to get, as everyone else seems to be scared to drop over $2k on a card.

3070ti is a lame duck. This is my least favorite card to get. It is expensive, and it has by far the worst efficiency of any other 30 series card. However, I will still buy these any day of the week if there are no other options, or if one of my sources where I am able to buy multiple cards at a time has them in stock.

3060ti is a secret bomb. I had no idea it would be as good as it is. The price is super low on this, and the efficiency is decent. One of my sources is also able to get quite a few of these in, and I am waiting on 5ish from him at the moment. All I was able to find on the internet before I purchased my first one was how they suck for anything else, and they are now dead on Eth due to LHR. This is all false. This card is a freaking beast for its price. I would happily buy hundreds of these if I could (and I will).

The 3060 is just a whatever card for me. I will buy every one that I can find, but it is not a priority. The cost is low, and the efficiency is decent, but it takes up so much space. Going forward I am going to throw all of these into those cool 8-card rigs that I found. That case is about $700 all in for me at a single price, and if I can buy them in bulk the prices drop. So every card essentially costs me an extra $90 due to the case/psu/cpu that needs to go with it, which is a lot of extra costs considering the lower hash rate that these cards provide.

Here is my list of priority for 30 series Nvidia cards:
3070 > 3080 > 3080ti > 3060ti > 3060 > 3070ti

Nvidia also has 1660 super and 1660ti cards which are fantastic on Ethereum. These cards can be purchased for like $400 all in, and do 31 MH/s on Eth at something like 80 watts. I only have 3 of them, but if they can be found they are a hidden gem.

I own several 3090 cards, but I have not tried these on raven. They are all on Ethereum at the moment and do 119-123 MH/s @ 300-320 watts depending on the card. All my 3080 and 3070 non LHR cards are also still on Ethereum as the power consumption is significantly less and that is my largest concern at the moment with only having a 100amp panel.

I have a few AMD 6700xt cards as well. These are fantastically stable cards but they are very expensive right now. They are at 46.5 MH on Ethereum at ~110 watts. They require 0 babysitting and my 7 card rig has literally never once shut down or had any issues since I figured out the OC settings for the cards. These cards have gone up 20-30% in MSRP since I purchased them, and so I will not get them anymore. They are $1050-1300 per card at the moment, which makes the 30 series cards more attractive. However, there is not yet a BIOS mod for these. Once someone figures that out it could unlock 10-20% more hashes and make them more efficient.

AMD also has a 6600xt card that just came out which may be attractive to buy, but I have yet to try it out. There are also 6800, 6800xt and 6900xt cards. Apparently these all hash about the same on Ethereum, at 60-65 MH/s. AMD could potentially be releasing the 7000 series cards in the not too distant future, but who knows.

If I had unlimited money, and could fund a mine 3-5 years out, I would be spending a significant amount of time running the numbers on AMD cards. They are easier to get, run incredibly efficient, and are bomb-proof stable. There is a reason that most commercial mines from the 2018 era ran thousands of AMD 580xt cards. You just BIOS mod them and set-and-forget them. I have a 13 580xt cards and I think they have not run an error in nearly 3 years. However, I am looking to sell them due to them having lower efficiency compared to modern cards, and I want to raise capital to have all 30 series cards in my house.20210822_090052.jpg

Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well I just got my hands on 2 more 3080 cards. My parents are picking them up for me tomorrow. I got them to back-order a 3080 each in January during the peak of GPU mania. They just got a call from the computer store than 3080s came in, but not the ones we originally wanted. Fine by me, these are LHR EVGA FTW3 models.

So 8 months later and the cards came in. Oh well, better late than never, but these cards would have paid themselves off long ago had they come in and been mining etheream the whole time. Since they are LHR these will be going on Raven.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I am using trex miner on Windows and mining to my wallet.

My dedicated rigs are using custom mining Linux distros called HiveOS and Simple Mining OS.

Let me know if you need help setting up.

ZCP

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
336%
Oct 22, 2010
Woodstock, GA
@GPM 25% of profits need to bank for other ventures. build a warchest for future endeavors. you can reinvest, just not from that 25%. pay yourself first.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Nothing new so far, and my hashes are still the same for now. I have some cards I need to repair though. Some need new thermal pads because the stock 3080/3090 pads are barely better than toilet paper. I am not sure if the new LHR 3080 or 3080ti will end up with the same issues, but so far they don't look like they are thermal throttling on me.

I also have some 1070s with fans that need replacing.

Youtube is up to 150 subs, 326.6 watch hours, and 13,368 views

I have been doing one video per day since about 2 weeks ago. Stats have been increasing pretty nicely since I have been focusing on it. Think I can hit my 1,000 subs and 4,000 watch hours by the end of October? That is my goal

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Up to 189 subs on YouTube. I am putting it all on Rumble as well. @Kak has made me seriously want to get some better audio gear to up the quality. I will probably end up doing this sooner rather than later because there is 0 chance of me not at least making some money off of YouTube. I also already have people troubleshooting issues for me. Based on some comment suggestions I ordered a $15 adapter that I did not know existed that may solve one of my motherboard issues.

I have talked to a few people about hosting my GPU, but it would just be a short term solution as the costs are pretty substantial. Roughly $0.25/kWh. It would be a better bet to find commercial rent and cheaper electricity prices. I never got that call back from the utilities last week, so I need to pursue that next week.

I had an interesting conversation with a guy who is starting an ASIC mine. I might end up using this guy and piggie back on some ASIC orders in the near future. That is a great way to get a ton of hardware in a single order. He said that the last order his group put in was for about $150,000. So if you wanted to 10x that it just means a larger order is all, it is not a concern of being able to find hardware like it is with GPU purchases.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Mining numbers are the same.

I have been fiddling with some of these LHR unlocks and dual mining modes to see if it is more profitable on these cards. So far just straight up Raven is the most profitable thing I have run on LHR cards.

YouTube is at 903 subscribers and 3113 watch hours. Some of the bigger guys in the crypto mining world with 20,000+ followers are commenting on my stuff which is really cool. I am hoping that translates into some larger numbers for me if people notice that.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
In a gold rush it pays to sell shovels.

Keep going with videos! the trajectory is right on. Views and $$ will follow.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have never run an AMD card on windows before, but you need some program that can set voltages and stuff on it.

With such a small hashrate, you should check what the minimum payout is on Ethermine. I use that pool myself, but I have enough hashrate to force a payment every other day if I want. You should see if it is possible to get a payout at least once a month, or once every 2 weeks if possible. The issue with ethermine might be due to you paying gas fees to transfer payment to your wallet.

I think hivepool pays the fees for you.

For something fun, I am mining a bit of Hivecoin right now. This is just a hail Mary of a mining play. With a single card you will probably get hundreds of coins a day.

silent

Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
113%
Jul 19, 2020
Here is Ethermine's payout policy:

Ethereum Layer 1 (Gas limit: 250,000)
-) Daily automatic payout of all balances above your configured payout threshold (10 - 0.01 ETH, network tx fee paid by the miner, default max acceptable gas price will be 40 GWei).

-) Manual
on demand payout of all balances above 0.005 ETH (network tx fee to be paid by the miner; can now be initiated via Metamask signature OR via IP verification).

Side-chain (Matic/Polygon)
-) Daily automatic payout of all balances above 0.005 ETH (network tx fee paid by the pool)
I've been mining for less than a week with a single GTX 1080 and am currently sitting at 0.00251 ETH :D

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I had to do some juggling of cards to get the 3090 to fit in a rig due to my current power concerns. I got it all up and running though! I can't wait to move like 5-8kw over to the farm and free all this space up here.

The new 3090 does 119.5 MH on Ethereum at 284 watts (software) so far. Looks like I got a good one! Of course the temps are colder outside, we will see if there is any issues during the day. From what I have seen some FE cards throttle right out of the box. I am very happy with mine so far.

For reference, my 3090 strix cards which cost about $400 Canadian more, are running at 123.1 MH at 311 watts.

YouTube views are are on a nice steep incline at the moment. I am not sure if this will stay or not, but it is making me happy! You can see where I started to post on August 20, and start to take this seriously.
Screenshot_20211028-061200_YT Studio.jpg

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
So the power tripped at my house last night and killed one of my motherboards that has been causing me issues. Now no trick I can do will get it to connect to the internet for more than 10 minutes. Even usb to ethernet adapters don't work.

Rather than keep screwing around with it I grabbed the cheapest AM4 processor I could find from the local computer store, $295 after tax. Now I'll get this rig on a newer motherboard and hopefully all issues stop.

The store also shows out of stock on every card, but the shelves were packed with rtx3080ti, 1650 and a4000 cards. If only I had power and that cash, I would be buying more to make more raven rigs.

I need to get this thing at my cousin's figured out to run like 5-8kw over at her place and free space up where I am.

YouTube will be at 1,500 subs before dinner I bet!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
It is comments like this that make it all worthwhile. I should make a collage of these, they are really stacking upScreenshot_20211030-064028_YT Studio.jpg

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I need to work harder on my YouTube stuff. Views are starting to drop as I have not been as active. I am sitting at just over 1,800 subs right now. Earnings from adsense are at like $330 CAD right now.

I had the most insane few days earlier this week. The main breaker in my house tripped, and would not come back on. Turns out that the main breaker bit the dust, and I could only get power on one leg of my house. Thank goodness that was the leg that had the furnace and fridge on it. This happened at about 3PM on Sunday. I was cooking dinner for my parents and it all just died.

I packed up all the food I was in the middle of cooking, and brought it over to my parents to finish. My dad and I went back to my place to try and figure out what was going on. That is when we discovered one of the legs was toast on the panel.

Monday morning I arranged for an electrician to come over. He diagnosed the issue as the same as what we found, and went out to get the parts needed. I was on the phone with our utility to have the power shut down so that the main breaker could be replaced. I find the number to the Enmax emergency line. It does not work. Says it is not in service or something. Thanks guys.

I call their normal line. After 85 minutes on the phone on hold (estimated wait time of 10 minutes) my phone died. WTF. My wifes phone also does not work. Now we have no phones, no internet, no contact to the electrician, and no way of contacting the utility. I drive over to my parents (10 minutes away) and use their landline to call the electrician. His phone is not working either. Looks like Bell/Virgin is down everywhere. This is fun. I instruct my parents to call Enmax again and try to get them out to shut down our power.

By this time it is getting later. My wife needs to be at work at 3pm. It is 2pm. I haul a$$ to the Enmax corporate office and see if I can talk to someone. Their offices are all closed due to Corona Virus and I bang on the window until their security guard comes out. We have a quick chat. No one is in the building. It is 100% remote. She gives me the number to the emergency line that does not work and wishes me luck.

I get home at 2:45 and whisk my wife and kids into the car and get her to work on time.

My phone starts working again at about 3:30. My dad was able to get through with Enmax prior to this, and they said they can't do anything and forward his phone to the emergency line which goes nowhere. Fun times

At about 5:00 I get through to the emergency line which is back up and running. I guess Telus had some issues as well. They say that shift change is coming up and they will send someone out after shift change. I tell him that I have been without power for over 24 hours and there is a cold snap going on and I have children to feed who I am not able to cook for. He says they will do their best.

7:00 rolls around and no one has shown up. Meanwhile the electrician is still sitting outside in his van since 6pm. I call the emergency line back and ask them WTF is going on. I guess they went to some other call first. Thanks guys. My wife is off work at 8:30 and I am supposed to go get here, but I need to babysit in case these guys show up. I call my dad and he goes and picks my Wife up.

At 8:45pm Enmax shows up and they cut the main power, and the breaker is fixed in about 5 minutes.

All in my rigs were down for like 30 hours before I got half of them up and running, and then 48 hours to get the rest up and running. Lost revenue from this was about $1000 or so, which really hurts as this is my only income, and I am not selling everything generated.

The real kicker is that I was going to sell some Eth Sunday night after our dinner, and that was going to fund some stuff coming up. I will let you check out what has happened to Ethereum prices since that time. I thought about selling again last night and decided to just ride this out until next week when I actually need to sell. So far it looks to be a bad choice, but who knows, a lot can happen in this space in a week.

In other happy news, I have 6 CPU rigs going on Raptoreum right now. I had 4 existing CPU for this that were doing nothing, and I picked up some cheap water cooler AIO, one set of ram, a 5950x and a 5900x to get the rest working. So to add to my bag of fun I have about 12.9 KH/s on that. One of my Helium miners also showed up.

I also sold two 1080ti cards for $1450 CAD total

Here is my breakdown

YouTube stats:
Total Subs: 1,854
28 day views: 79.5k
Estimated Revenue: $320

Ethereum Hashrate: 2.6 GH
Raven Hashrate: 1.5 GH
Raptoreum Hashrate: 12.9 KH
Helium: Still syncing

Helium will have 2 miners. And I ordered 6db antenna for them and high quality cable. I know a guy with a similar setup close by and he does 0.5 Helium a day on his single unit. Something magical happened the other day and he earned 10 for some reason. 10 in one day!!!

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
We may disagree on whether Canada is dystopian or not, but maybe you are trying to do you “exit” at the wrong time? What if you did build an 8 or 9 figure business that did not require you to be here? How would your options look like?

Food for thought… The warehouse I was looking at was in Edmonton. I am sure there are plenty in other areas. It’s a legit option with a lot of risk/capital/effort required. :)
I thought I would give this some more attention. I don't want to permanently leave. My wife is Mexican, and we are getting Mexican citizenship for our children, and then me after.

I plan on growing this to infinity, and not having a home country. The older I get, the less I like calling myself a Canadian, that is just the simple fact of it. However, my family is here, and the summers here are unreal. So are the business opportunities. I am going to grow what I can in Canada, and use it as such. Just because it is some dirt that I was born on mean that I owe it anything if they want to start going batty with the government powers.

Leaving for now forces me how to figure this out as well. Who says I can't grow it remotely, or from a different country? These are all things I need to figure out. Packing a warehouse full of mining gear is kind of an intermediate step. The real big players all have land and unconventional power abilities. That is what I eventually need to get.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
How's your Helium mining going?

My Bobcat arrived today! I'm pretty busy though until the weekend so I have to wait until then to start setting it up.
I just got a 6db antenna on my RAK Goldspot this evening, so I will take a few days to see what happens. I am at 2.3 HNT mined so far. Sadly someone is syncing another helium miner in one of my Hex's so my rewards might drop for that one. I have a 6db antenna for that one as well.

I just posted a mammoth video to youtube that outlines all of my current gear, except for the Helium miners. I want to outline all of my rigs and their settings going forward for some content.

Total mining farm outline

I was doing some brainstorming the last few days, and I think I found a better way to approach money. I am now an IT and computer services company. I am going to start ordering parts from direct vendors in bulk, and use some of those to build mining rigs for others at insane inflated prices, and use that cash to build my own rigs and pay down loans. Banks won't touch crypto, but I am thinking they are more lenient towards vendors and PC builders. Anyways, fleshing out this route shouldn't hurt anything. I have a lot of paperwork to figure out regarding becoming a purchaser from these guys. Lots of regulations around importing and recycling and such for electronics. Love that Red tape...

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Once you start messing with electric panels you realize how easy it is to add power.

I’ve got hookups in my garage for my 50A RV and a welder if need be. My garage previously wouldn’t even run my air compressor and chest freezer simultaneously. I could run an entire second home off of my garage electricity now.
Hey mr. Kak sir, want some graphics cards in your garage?

You don't even want to know the quote I got from our city utilities just to run power to the property line. Did not even include running it the next few feet to the garage or anything

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well after deciding that I don't want to be a prisoner in Canada I left in November, and have been running things remotely. I have also not done as good a job at scaling this compared to how I should have been doing.

So I am now back at it. I got myself a fancy # for electronic recycling in Alberta, and I can now use that for getting some serious quantities of whatever I can get my hands on. I have also signed up for every major electronics supplier in Canada and I will see if I can start ordering parts by the box or truck full, rather than going to stores and getting one at a time.

So this leads me to needing access to 5-6 figures of cash at a time in order to make purchases, which is what I need to figure out.

I originally was not planning on going back to Canada until I am able to leave again. If I go back now I am not allowed to board a plane, train or boat, and I don't think I am allowed to cross into USA either. So that still kind of leaves some stuff up in the air, but I need to have all my ducks in a row for when I figure out what I can do.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Slight change of pace on this stuff.

I am still going to build out a massive mine, but in the mean time I want to try this out:
  • Organize my older rigs into 6-8 card rigs, and put them up for sale
  • Use the sale money to order brand new components, in matching rigs of 6-8 cards
    • 8x 1660 super or 8x 1660ti, in a server case (256-280 MH on Eth)
    • 6x RTX3090 build using 2400watt server PSU in an open air frame (720 MH on Eth)
    • 8x RTX 3060ti LHR in a server case (352 MH on Eth)
  • Put the matching rigs up for sale and run them at the same time. I can use the time before they sell to dial each card in perfectly so that it is fully optimized. Sell the rigs as a fully up and running system with perfect settings on every card
  • Use the sale proceeds to continue doing this and snowball into a larger sales AND mining operation using my own money
Just brainstorming here, but some ideas to flesh out are the following:
  • Build a really big mine using creative power. Power such as gas generators next to oil and gas wells. Sea Cans with mining rigs using Oil and Gas co-generation plants. Sea Cans on Farms utilizing farm energy and pricing. Moving rigs into place that require generated and purchased heat for operations. They can use my waste head from computers, and I can use their power and space, come up with some sort of a win-win
  • Sell mining rigs to people who are interested in mining but have no idea how to build rigs and just want them. I can either sell them as a complete unit (Here you go, enjoy!), or possibly host them as well. They buy the equipment, I set it up and manage it for them. They pay for power costs and a management fee (Could be a flat fee based on energy usage), I manage the rigs for them, 100% of the crypto goes to their own wallet address. If they ever want the equipment they no longer pay for electricity and management, and I just ship it to them
  • I can sell custom equipment to people who know what they are doing, and just give them the parts
  • I can sell pre-built units 100% ready to go that have been fully optimized and are ready to go, they just plug in their own wallet. I like this as it gives me the opportunity to mine to my own address for the weeks it takes me to dial it all in, free hardware for me essentially until it sells.
With these IT accounts I have set up I have access to hundreds and hundreds of graphics cards right now, just no capital. So once I start rotating some stuff out if I can sell it, I can keep snowballing into bigger and bigger operations.

I have no idea if this sells or not, but there is a guy in my city selling a custom 6 card 3090 rig, brand new, for $30,000 CAD (before taxes). I don't know if anyone would buy that or not. I can build the same exact rig for under $20,000. That is a pretty serious markup that I would be fine not even getting close to.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
They buy the equipment, I set it up and manage it for them. They pay for power costs and a management fee (Could be a flat fee based on energy usage), I manage the rigs for them, 100% of the crypto goes to their own wallet address.

Or you charge a fee % of all crypto mined and keep it as a payment for your services. They buy the output but you manage their hardware. Love this. I know this is already around as "cloud mining". Research that a little. I have a friend who was showing off on his phone with me. I am too dense to understand it, so I just enjoyed my wine instead.

Ing

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
102%
Jun 8, 2019
Bavaria
We sometimes buy rigs of people, who don’t succeed in making them run propperly. Profitable, too.

You could host rigs at a place, where you get cheap electricity and sell the electricity for the price, where its more expensive.

Last edited:

MoneyDoc

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
273%
Jun 24, 2014
The amount of crypto I bought ... but I have no interest in doing the actual work of mining (learning, setting it up etc.). My business is my only focus, but what can we do to help you launch that next level stuff?
I am in @GPM and maybe with @MoneyDoc, all Canada!
Count me in!

@GPM I'm currently looking into it a bit more, but I think you'll have your first couple of customers if you do decide to take this to fruition.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
The Ethereum merge, Eth 2.0, is happening sometime today or tomorrow. That means Ethereum mining is dead and gone essentially as of right now.

As hashing power moves away from Ethereum and onto the alts the difficulty is SPIKING on those coins. Alt coins that are Proof of Work are also going pretty nuts with pricing.

The coins I am watching right now are:
  • Ergo
  • Ravencoin
  • Neoxa
  • Ethereum Classic
  • Flux
  • Conflux
  • Firo
I think that is about all of them. Ethereum has about 20x the hashrate as Ethereum classic (ETC), and it is estimated that 50% of the network hashrate is from ASICs which will have nowhere to go but ETC. So that means ETC is probably going to get a 10x increase in overall hashrate very soon. Already it is completely unprofitable for GPU to even compete on ETC from the ASICs that have hit it so far. In anticipation of this I have sold a bunch of alts and traded it for ETC just in case it goes somewhere.

What am I mining at the moment?

All my AMD cards are on Ravencoin or Neoxa, both use the same algorithm which is very power intensive, but the AMD cards are significantly more efficient on it compared to Nvidia.

Nvidia 10 and 20 series cards and 1660 are on Flux. I sold off most of my 10 series cards before, so just a couple 1060s left. 20 series are bonkers good on Flux. 2080ti is the hands down best card for this algorithm.

My Nvidia 3060, 3060ti and 3070 cards are on Ravencoin or Neoxa. They use less power and have better cooling capabilities than their larger 30 series cards.

My Nvidia 3070ti, 3080, 3080ti and 3090 cards are all mining Ergo. This algorithm is very low power usage and easy on the cards.

All of my stuff is still on for the moment as it is profitable, but things can change in a hurry. The next few months are going to be an ABOSLUTE MESS until things get settled out.

Now is the absolute best time to go out and purchase equipment (ASICS and GPU) if you ask me. Right now there is "blood in the streets" and people are panicking. Best time to acquire hardware for pennies on the dollar.

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Here are the lastest cards. From left to right, all are LHR versions so they will be on raven coin for now.
Zotac 3070
EVGA 3060
EVGA 3060ti
EVGA 3070ti
EVGA 3080

These are going on that new b450f board I was setting up last night. I also have another few cards to add to it to try and get it to 8 cards. Lets see if this works.

Well it works. But it's not 100% stable. It is powering down and resetting several times through the day with no error logs showing up. This makes me suspect it is a PSU issue. It's using 1000 watts on a single 1300 watt consumer PSU right now. My next move is to add a 850w to it and split the cards.

It could also be due to the heat. It's 35C here today and these things are absolutely cooking

Attachments

• 20210814_080115.jpg
    20210814_080115.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210814_094021.jpg
    20210814_094021.jpg
    241.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
I have attached the energy usage graph from my utility company, which shows pretty good how I have been expanding my cards.

Personal energy usage was effectively 0 from mid May to mid July, so this was completely from the rigs.

Attachments

• Energy Cost.jpg
    Energy Cost.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 32

GPM

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
376%
Oct 25, 2012
Canada
Well everything worked out and I was able to get my hands on four 3080ti cards!!! This equals another 230 MH on Raven at 1,300 watts. Mind you I don't have the space for all this until my boards come in, so I will be pulling off some 3060s or something to make them fit for now.signal-2021-08-18-183728.jpg20210818_193325.jpg

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.