The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Cost vs. Value of moving and changing environment?

Anything related to matters of the mind

Lions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Nov 1, 2016
Michigan
New member here, but I read the forum quite a bit. I am a 21 year old college drop out after 3 years at my dream university, and currently living at home with my parents. I decided about a year ago that the slowlane will never be for me, and decided to forgo my worthless degree and 50k a year job. I have done small scale fastlane businesses(buying/selling used items, flipping items, etc) and have been able to go from being dead broke to having around 40K saved in cash. I am currently stuck in the biggest rut of my life, and no matter what I seem to do I just can't get out of it. I have suffered from depression and anxiety for many years, but I mostly believe that I can't get out of this without a major change happening. I grew up and live in a poor town with nothing going on, and with cold weather that is unbearable. I also find it hard to not be deathly cheap, as my family grew up with no money and still has none. This is really the only reason I choose to stay at home, since I have very few expenses, and it's hard to think about a huge jump in living expenses when I think about how I could put that money to use in my business ventures. I have read multiple people on here who have shared how a move and complete change of scenery was life-changing, and though I am scared to do it I feel it is the only way for me to grow and better myself. I have no reasons to move to any specific place, just somewhere with warmer weather as is a major factor. What do you consider the value of changing your environment, and is it wise to up and leave to a random place where you have no ties and no exact future plans? I appreciate any input, especially those who have been in the same situation.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

SteveO

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
456%
Jul 24, 2007
What do you mean by "better yourself"? What would you do differently that would make you better?

You are a perfectly performing human being. Have some confidence in yourself.

Follow your dreams and desires. Don't let others or your perceived history hold you back. Perhaps you could reframe your perspective to that of abundance. The scarcity mindset is what is causing your anxiety.

Utopia

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
Oct 7, 2016
Traveling
Try some traveling.

Currently I am in Bali doing my business remotely and likely living on what you pay with living expenses there at your parents. Opening myself up to the world, the abundance, and the possibilities has been the best thing that I have done for my life.

Right now I spend about $380/month for an apartment that is less than 5 minutes from the beach (I turned down the $280 place in the city). I go out to eat for every meal with an average cost of $3 per plate. Laundry is done for me for $5 every two weeks. Gas for my little scooter is negligible. Add this all up and I spend less than $800/month here. Having $40k you could sure make that last a long time if you are worried about living expenses, but sometimes as you say, you need to get a new environment.

Shock your system. Show yourself that there are different ways to live everywhere. I have never felt more abundant here. With money, women, and options in how I want to live my life. My next stops are places around Southeast Asia and who knows if I can go back to life as it was in America.

lifese

Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
188%
Oct 28, 2016
You have a friend if you move to Tennessee, just hit me up. 21 and similiar mindset

$40,000 in savings is enough to explore. An apartment, bills, and food isnt as expensive as you think per year if you budget. Assuming you live on your own it would be $600 a month for a nice place, $200 a month for food (50 a week), about 100 for gas, and 100 in electric/internet if you have free water. Roughly $1000 a month if you budget this way and don't buy extra. $12000 a year. Im sure you can start doing something lucrative in a year!

Lions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Nov 1, 2016
Michigan
What do you mean by "better yourself"? What would you do differently that would make you better?

You are a perfectly performing human being. Have some confidence in yourself.

Follow your dreams and desires. Don't let others or your perceived history hold you back. Perhaps you could reframe your perspective to that of abundance. The scarcity mindset is what is causing your anxiety.

I would like to get out of my comfort zone, but I feel like it's hard to get out of my comfort zone when I have such a safety net around me here. But at the same time that safety net has allowed me take a couple business risks that have paid off.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
40K saved in cash.
I am a 21 year old college drop out

Give yourself some credit. BIG CREDIT. The fact that you still live at home with your parents has minimized your accomplishment when you should be DAMN PROUD of what you've done. You have more $$ than 99% most Americans. While I'm sure living with the parents has helped, it still is a great accomplishment at such a young age. Don't sell yourself short.

but I feel like it's hard to get out of my comfort zone when I have such a safety net around me here.

But what about the $40K you saved? To me, that's the BIG safety net. A 1 bedroom apartment can't be too expensive.

While I don't want to recommend one thing over another, I can leave you with this known fact proven by scientific research: Self-sufficiency and autonomy are key conduits to happiness -- research has shown up to 40% of the happiness formula. Being on your own and master of your domain = autonomy.

Lions

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
400%
Nov 1, 2016
Michigan
Give yourself some credit. BIG CREDIT. The fact that you still live at home with your parents has minimized your accomplishment when you should be DAMN PROUD of what you've done. You have more $$ than 99% most Americans. While I'm sure living with the parents has helped, it still is a great accomplishment at such a young age. Don't sell yourself short.

But what about the $40K you saved? To me, that's the BIG safety net. A 1 bedroom apartment can't be too expensive.

While I don't want to recommend one thing over another, I can leave you with this known fact proven by scientific research: Self-sufficiency and autonomy are key conduits to happiness -- research has shown up to 40% of the happiness formula. Being on your own and master of your domain = autonomy.
I appreciate all of that. My problem is getting over the money being worth it, especially in relation to what I could put into business ventures. I know my thoughts are probably irrational, but it's hard for me to think about 12K or more for a year of living somewhere new when I think about how I could use that otherwise. I grew up working 60 hrs a week in the summer just to pay for a car/college and have done everything in my power to not become enslaved to a job ever again. I paid off thousands in student debt and live well below my means which is why its hard to make the jump, but the happiness formula definitely puts things into perspective that I haven't thought of before.

Last edited:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.