The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Content creation tips? (Video, audio, written)

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
This is my first go doing a Google Slides style presentation. I spent far too long editing this down.

Anyway, hope the tips helped. It's what I've learned over the past few years. Curious if you agree, disagree, and what other tips you might have.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
This is my first go doing a Google Sheet style presentation. I spent far too long editing this down.

Anyway, hope the tips helped. It's what I've learned over the past few years. Curious if you agree, disagree, and what other tips you might have.

Great post :)

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Great post :)
Thanks @sparechange.

I’m curious what your takeaways are, and what additional tips you might have. Is there anything you disagree with.

I actually created that last night because I wanted to test a new mic and light setup, and a different style of video. Rather than just mess about I made it my goal to post something helpful.

I don’t think pulling the audio out of that would work as I didn’t read the headings for each new tip section. People listening wouldn’t know what the new section was about. A learning for next time.

Also... I didn’t take my own medicine and finish with a CTA, but that’s because I knew I was dropping the video into the forum and it would be rude to get people to subscribe at mydomain.com (plus I’ve not set up a squeeze page anywhere yet anyway).

sparechange

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
161%
Nov 11, 2016
Canada (Vancouver)
Thanks @sparechange.

I’m curious what your takeaways are, and what additional tips you might have. Is there anything you disagree with.

I actually created that last night because I wanted to test a new mic and light setup, and a different style of video. Rather than just mess about I made it my goal to post something helpful.

I don’t think pulling the audio out of that would work as I didn’t read the headings for each new tip section. People listening wouldn’t know what the new section was about. A learning for next time.

Also... I didn’t take my own medicine and finish with a CTA, but that’s because I knew I was dropping the video into the forum and it would be rude to get people to subscribe at mydomain.com (plus I’ve not set up a squeeze page anywhere yet anyway).

The goal is to help people, I like that, although for a product based business (like I have) I'm not sure the optimal way to go about converting unique traffic to life long customers. Perhaps a similar strategy such as Old spice (viral marketing video) would be the best way? Maybe for helping people, could providing entertainment count? A small burst of joy from a funny/entertaining/educational video?

Can't offer any tips as I barely know what I'm doing! hehe

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
The goal is to help people, I like that, although for a product based business (like I have) I'm not sure the optimal way to go about converting unique traffic to life long customers. Perhaps a similar strategy such as Old spice (viral marketing video) would be the best way? Maybe for helping people, could providing entertainment count? A small burst of joy from a funny/entertaining/educational video?

Can't offer any tips as I barely know what I'm doing! hehe
I’m aware I keep saying “help people”. I should clarify and state that entertainment is helping people too. Lots of people go to YouTube for entertainment.

Virality comes from productocracy (and getting traction). Valier’s thread shows the power of going viral on YouTube.

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
Your effort did not go in vain!

Here is my feedback on the content in the video:

Making helping people a goal is bang on. Most YouTube video creators usually have very short term goals, like making people opt-in to their list that promotes products as an affiliate, or even worse, making them buy a product from the link in their description.

A video, or for that matter any content, must provide value first. One of the things that I learnt when I hopped on the online business bandwagon well over a decade ago, was to provide enough value first and exceed expectations, before expecting anything in return from the reader.

I remember I got going with videos with my smartphone to record and computer to edit.

I've always created the text and visual content first before making the audio. Visual content includes images, slides or clips of walkthroughs.

To each his own, because it can also work well the other way. But for producing video content first, you need to be very good at extempore speaking, or at least have the main points jotted down within viewing distance.

That's an excellent tip right there about including video on web pages to increase time spent on the site. There is also a way to stop the video suggestions that come up at the end of YouTube videos, which might take people away from the site.

If the viewer considers the video content good, he or she may look for more from the same creator. Hence offering more content via an email list is a logical step.

I see so many videos on YouTube that end without any CTA. Not many creators know this, but by asking video watchers to do something at the end of a video(or during the video), actually makes people do what you say!

Of course, the quality of the content must warrant such an action.

A challenge is a great way to get into a rhythm, especially for those who have trouble sticking to a daily work habit. Although it is a myth that it takes 21 days to form a habit, it does become easier to form a fixed schedule for a repetitive task after a few days of doing it.

I did notice at the end of the video that there was no CTA, subsequently reading about the reason in your post. Perhaps you could have asked for a comment on this thread!

That was just nitpicking on what was a simple but excellent video! Thank you.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
Your effort did not go in vain!

Here is my feedback on the content in the video:

Making helping people a goal is bang on. Most YouTube video creators usually have very short term goals, like making people opt-in to their list that promotes products as an affiliate, or even worse, making them buy a product from the link in their description.

A video, or for that matter any content, must provide value first. One of the things that I learnt when I hopped on the online business bandwagon well over a decade ago, was to provide enough value first and exceed expectations, before expecting anything in return from the reader.

I remember I got going with videos with my smartphone to record and computer to edit.

I've always created the text and visual content first before making the audio. Visual content includes images, slides or clips of walkthroughs.

To each his own, because it can also work well the other way. But for producing video content first, you need to be very good at extempore speaking, or at least have the main points jotted down within viewing distance.

That's an excellent tip right there about including video on web pages to increase time spent on the site. There is also a way to stop the video suggestions that come up at the end of YouTube videos, which might take people away from the site.

If the viewer considers the video content good, he or she may look for more from the same creator. Hence offering more content via an email list is a logical step.

I see so many videos on YouTube that end without any CTA. Not many creators know this, but by asking video watchers to do something at the end of a video(or during the video), actually makes people do what you say!

Of course, the quality of the content must warrant such an action.

A challenge is a great way to get into a rhythm, especially for those who have trouble sticking to a daily work habit. Although it is a myth that it takes 21 days to form a habit, it does become easier to form a fixed schedule for a repetitive task after a few days of doing it.

I did notice at the end of the video that there was no CTA, subsequently reading about the reason in your post. Perhaps you could have asked for a comment on this thread!

That was just nitpicking on what was a simple but excellent video! Thank you.
Excellent write up. Thanks so much for these @Sean P.

I’m also toying with script, audio, then video as a process. It would be to create specific videos I have in mind that would be flagship evergreen videos. The video I did in the opening post was mostly to see how my mic and lighting worked, and my first foray into a “slideshow presentation video”.

**** What a GREAT idea! I could have asked for feedback in my TFLF thread and then linked to it in the description. I’ll try that on for size the next time. ****

(What a facepalm moment! Why didn’t I just think to send people back to threads in the forum!!!!)

Sean P

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
105%
Jul 4, 2014
Let me delve a bit more on the aspect of speech with script vs one without a script.

As mentioned I like to write out my script first(by the way I also use voice-to-text writing in addition to typing) and then sync it with the slides and visuals. A bit of back and worth is always required but it gets the job done the way I want it.

This way I am always sure that I covered everything that I intended to say, and more importantly, that there are no digressions or things that I need to edit out later. I've always received excellent feedback on all my videos because they are well created, organized and high quality.

The last term "high quality" refers to the standard of content, not the output of any fancy equipment. I still use my smartphone and computer - not even a microphone, because I've never felt the need to!

Ok, so I do use Audacity to further improve the quality of audio. I am contemplating on getting a Lavalier microphone, but I feel that even after using a microphone, I will need to use Audacity anyway. So I'll be back to square one, because if it's software that is behind my good audio why give credit to a piece of hardware?

The reason why speaking without a script is recommended by some is because you need to "read" out a script, and that feels unnatural. But it depends on how you read out the script. I am able to do so without sounding like I am and still feels natural. No one's ever complained about it.

But then if it's something you teach every day or material that you're extremely thorough with, there's no need of a script.

One last thing about CTA. It is very underutilized and underestimated by most people. Let me illustrate the power of a CTA for those reading this thread and are not very familiar with "call to action".

Whether you're imparting information in a blog post, a video or a live presentation, you are very much "in control" when a person is consuming your content. A call to action coming from you has a high chance of being acted upon. There could be different levels of CTA:

1. A CTA is most powerful in a live audience. Imagine a live presentation, in which the presenter asks the audience to stand up - for a warm up or a live demo of something. You will rarely find someone who does not stand up after the CTA.

Whether it is an audience consisting of 20 or 2000 people, every single person will stand up! It is the power of CTA!

2. Next comes video content, involving sight and sound. You as the presenter, in a way have some control over the eyes and ears of the person watching the video. Compare that with no. 1 above where in a live presentation all the senses are involved in a live setting. A CTA to subscribe, like and comment in the video will also bring good results, but only second to a live performance.

3. Then come text and images. This could be a blog post or a banner or picture with a CTA to opt-in to an email list. Text is most passive and a CTA at the end of a post will also yield results but not as much as in a video or a live presentation.

I hope I was able to explain the power of CTA and add some value to those reading this.

@Andy Black - It's not too late to add a CTA to comment in the video as well as in the original post. Doing so might just make this the most commented thread on the forum!

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
@Andy Black - It's not too late to add a CTA to comment in the video as well as in the original post. Doing so might just make this the most commented thread on the forum!
I fully intend adding extra bits, including a CTA to the video and then replacing it on YouTube and in the opening post!

I’d like to try those scripted videos. I’ve read out scripts as the best man, and sadly as eulogies. They’re so much harder to do than just rifting though!

Something else. I’ve taken personality profiling that says I do best unscripted , and that I often don’t know what I’m going to say until I’ve started talking. I often go off at all sorts of tangents as things occur to me, somehow managing to keep it on topic and bringing it back to a conclusion. I’ll post that profile when I can find it. I think it’s well worth people knowing how they work and what their natural style of communication, leadership, and working is.

We each have our own strengths and styles, and that’s why we should always be wary of following someone else’s blueprint.

Andy Black

Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.