The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Consultants: how do you get clients to implement?

A detailed account of a Fastlane process...

Iqen

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
37%
Oct 28, 2011
Probably the number one complaint I've heard from consultants is getting their clients to actually implement what's been taught to them.

And to be fair to the small business owners, they have good intentions, but things just get in the way, or perhaps the fear of implementing also causes hangups.

One solution I've heard for the consultant is to follow the Alan Wiese "advice only" model. It's certainly an option, but I also want to investigate ways to improve follow-through and execution. Anyone have some good recommendations?

I cannot recommend this book personally but it has excellent reviews: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005FLODJ8/?tag=tff-amazonparser-20

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Formless

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
267%
Oct 27, 2013
My friend has experience with this, he went into a small law firm to help them establish an online presence. He helped them with a lot of things, and it was having a visible effect. All his advice was ignored (implemented for 3-4 weeks, then just died down) because the employees were still relics of the fax & xerox era, according to him, they are now bleeding something in the ballpark of £35 000- 40 000 per year.

This is an interesting subject and I'll watch this thread.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I can't get my clients to implement at all...

(Also watching this thread with interest.)

EDIT: I'm talking about my big clients, where everything is done by committee. ..

Last edited:

Vagabond 007

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
159%
Mar 1, 2011
Philly Suburbs
There is always going to be clients like this. Always.

Even when it seems like all they have to do is take action and their business and life will change, and yet they don't. It makes you want to slap them silly.

I had a client who was working 70-80 weeks but living paycheck to paycheck. I gave him some advice on how to fix things so he could work less and make more. They were basic, easy things. 2 years later, he's still working 70-80 hour weeks and still broke. Go figure.

This is why you have to be careful if you ever get paid based off of a percentage of sales increase. Because you are relying on them actually doing stuff to make more money and this making you money.

This is the equivalent of the shrink wrap not coming off a product.

Your best bet is to not lose any sleep over someone not taking action. It's not your job to make sure they do what you told them...unless you tell them that's what you are going to do. But I wouldn't suggest that.

What I would suggest is picking better clients. Small business owners are usually small for a reason. Their thinking. They either don't know how to grow, don't want to, or do know but don't take action. Is that the kind of person you'd expect to hear advice and then go implement?

Their also busy putting out fires. Which is ironic because usually the people putting out the fires are the arsonists.

Usually the more successful a person is the easier they'll be to coach/consult. They are successful for a reason. Most people don't luck their way into success. Success is a by product of your behaviors. Successful people are successful because they have successful behaviors.

Therefore, you want to attract those types of people. The kind of person who probably knows what you are telling them, but yet pays someone else anyway for any number of reasons.

Making more money is only one of the reasons someone would hire a consultant. So why it may seem obvious to us that "all they have to do is this, this, and that and they'll make an extra $500,000 this year," they may have their own reasons for hiring someone.

Remember, people do things for emotional reasons. Trying to understand, using logic, why they do those things is just going to give you a headache.

Last edited:

Draven Grey

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
137%
Oct 21, 2014
Denver, CO
I had to do it with them. Alternately, I adapted Stephen Covey's Performance Agreement for the groups that I have consulted over the years. The Performance Agreement alone has worked wonders for implementation. I also often have them change their leadership structure to something more liken to a Constitutional Republic (based around their core values and "Hedgehog Concept") rather than the whimsical [and ultimately failing] Democratic structure that many groups seem to try and use.

Kinsey6287

Blazin Fast!
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
50%
Nov 2, 2009
I apologize if this may be hijacking the thread, but I assure you I did search. lol

Since you guys have experience consulting... Can it be lucrative? I have been thinking of consulting for some time now. I am VERY knowledgable in the military aviation industry and have connections who share a mutual respect and can make acquisition decisions. I have also been assisting my girlfriend's dad's business for some time ("free" of charge) and have helped land some decent contracts.

I have thought about doing it on the side, but just wanted to know if the juice is worth the squeeze in your opinions. Thanks!

Tlcalis

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
55%
Nov 25, 2012
I am VERY knowledgable in the military aviation industry and have connections who share a mutual respect and can make acquisi

Go buy the paperback or hardcover of How To Make It Big As An Consultant fantastic books, ekstraordinary , exceptional book that what comes to my mind when I think of it it's full of hundreds of practical money making ideas a general view on everything on consulting
marketing
why people need consultants
how much can a consultant make a daily and yearly
etc etc etc

shiiit.. message me and I can give you tons of actionable idea on what you need to do since I scanned through the book atleast 10 times atleast.....

Mattie

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
129%
May 28, 2014
U.S.
Hmm...I'm not the only one! :) Thought maybe I was going crazy. But totally different group of people. I like for a whole year they hear the same advice and still don't get it. lol

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.