The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Consultant from Unscripted

Anything related to matters of the mind

alex90048

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
53%
Jan 21, 2023
Dear all:
In the book Unscripted , MJ gives the account of a consultant in the fitness industry who asked the forum some ideas about how to crystallize her knowledge of her industry into a scalable business. The individuals on the forum gave a bunch of suggestions, and she dismissed all of them apparently.

I, too, have a legal and consulting business, and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the thread that MJ references in Unscripted , as I think that some of the suggestions may be helpful to me, even though I am not in the fitness industry.

As a consultant, I basically work with entertainment and technology companies to advise them on how to make better deals. I also have a law practice that services companies in the entertainment/copyright/trademark fields.

Ever since reading TMF , I have been thinking about ways that I can scale either of these businesses. At first I felt neither was scalable, because as a consultant or lawyer, your first job is usually to assess risk, and be aware of it. But the people on this forum changed my opinion, and now I am trying to think of a way to scale.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

sdbrownlie

Building Links for SEO Peeps
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
157%
Oct 26, 2017
Royal Leamington Spa
I'd look to understand how the big consultancies work. The partners just sign off on work their graduate word monkeys generate etc. Obviously because they're huge the products they offer are 'infinite' - they'll just take any money for anything. But getting started you probably want to think more strategically about what 90% of your work is and then productise that first.

The key is to first productise your business.

So instead of 'I solve everything' you have to list things you can solve as a product. I don't know what part of business law you consult in but ... 'produce an international trade agreement' or 'renegotiate up to 10 key supplier agreements' might be things that are a 'product' rather than 'consulting vaguely'.

For me, as an example, we went from our old business that just did 'linkbuilding consulting, training and SEO advice' to:

'making linkbait - content that's good/people will link to'
'outreach to get links to exisitng content' etc

Then you need to systemise your business.

The things you do/analyse/think about when you do each part needs to be something you could train and hand to a 21 year old grraduate (just using the consulting firm example but no need for a degree - you get the idea - just someone with a brain but no experience).

Then for each product you write sales copy/a landing page, and a process for the actual workers. So you can just sell it. Overview the final output. Eventually you hire a consultant who just does that for you and at that point you're in the fastlane. You own a consultancy where people buy specific things, delivered in a specific way, and managed by your replacement.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
370%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
I'd look to understand how the big consultancies work. The partners just sign off on work their graduate word monkeys generate etc. Obviously because they're huge the products they offer are 'infinite' - they'll just take any money for anything. But getting started you probably want to think more strategically about what 90% of your work is and then productise that first.

The key is to first productise your business.

So instead of 'I solve everything' you have to list things you can solve as a product. I don't know what part of business law you consult in but ... 'produce an international trade agreement' or 'renegotiate up to 10 key supplier agreements' might be things that are a 'product' rather than 'consulting vaguely'.

For me, as an example, we went from our old business that just did 'linkbuilding consulting, training and SEO advice' to:

'making linkbait - content that's good/people will link to'
'outreach to get links to exisitng content' etc

Then you need to systemise your business.

The things you do/analyse/think about when you do each part needs to be something you could train and hand to a 21 year old grraduate (just using the consulting firm example but no need for a degree - you get the idea - just someone with a brain but no experience).

Then for each product you write sales copy/a landing page, and a process for the actual workers. So you can just sell it. Overview the final output. Eventually you hire a consultant who just does that for you and at that point you're in the fastlane. You own a consultancy where people buy specific things, delivered in a specific way, and managed by your replacement.
Productising your service could be a great way to scale a consultancy. I think there's other ways too.

I quite like having a few consulting clients that use my brain to make work. I enjoy it and learn from it.

I also have some productised service clients where we're building tools to encapsulate my knowledge. Less experienced people can use them, or I can do more faster.

A consultant can scale with combinations of people, processes, and technology. But more important is the business model I think. E.g. having clients continue to pay every month after the initial large consulting is done. Maybe that's a flat retainer fee or you somehow get paid for results after you've setup their systems.

I'm curious what other consultants suggest.

Skroob

Entrepreneur // Mobile Application Developer
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
282%
Feb 18, 2022
Jacksonville, FL
A consultant can scale with combinations of people, processes, and technology. But more important is the business model I think. E.g. having clients continue to pay every month after the initial large consulting is done. Maybe that's a flat retainer fee or you somehow get paid for results after you've setup their systems.

I'm curious what other consultants suggest.
Alan Weiss is real big on the retainer concept as well. If you're in a knowledge field, getting a business to pay $x per year just to be able to call or email you with questions, sounds pretty good to me. My consulting businesses never got there though; I was building apps for money and couldn't shake out of that rut. If I was going to do consulting again (I always loved it, so you never know...) I would put all my energy into finding a way to make that retainer my number one product.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.