The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Choosing A Vehicle

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
So, I totally need help picking the ride that I'll get when the time comes (when I have the money lol). And, I think there are at least a few car people on this forum, so, what are your recommendations? And, how much do they cost?

:)

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
I like small foreign cars like used Civics, Corollas, and even the chevy Aveo because they get good mileage, are usually cheap, and most importantly they're reliable. Also, I'd recommend getting a consumer reports subscription when you decide to go car shopping. That way you'll know how reliable the car is in general.

integrate

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Sep 21, 2007
Orlando, FL
In all honesty you couldn't be more vague.

Give some basic requests or needs...
Sedan or coupe?
Price Range?
New or Used?

Then everyone can give you some better advice

NerdSmasher

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
11%
Aug 31, 2007
Oh, I'm sorry... I must have had a brain fart while writing this lol.

I meant more of a "dream" car. In the short term area, I'm covered. I'm talkin' BMW, Lamborghini, etc. Just thought I'd see what other people like, or have. Possibly what's coming out, that sort of stuff :)

I have a feeling I'm gonna hear a lot of recommendations for Lambo's... lol

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder
Exterior Color- verde Ithaca
Interior Color -verde Ithaca/Black
My dream car anyway gets me excited !!! Man I have to stop where's the ICE ? LoL

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
You need a beater so you can allocate money into income producing assets. Once you achieve a certain level, then spoil yourself with something. Stupid car purchases that you can't afford is what gets people in over their head.

People like cars because it makes them look rich. I'd rather be rich, than look rich.

This was posted at LamboPower.com about a guy who owned multiple exotics - he certainly wasn't rich, but boy, he looked it.

From the LamboPower.com Forum said:
"Sad but true. I have a friend that was a high flying mortgage broker down here in miami, at the height of the housing boom he was living in a 3 million dollar house, had a C4S, SL55, S55, flying spur, ML55, 360 spider as well as a 50ish sea ray. All was well and good until the sub prime stuff exploded he quickly went from making $50 to $100k per month to making NOTHING, as sad is it may seem one by one things started to go to . First late payments, then the C4S got repoed, the flying spur, the SL55, the boat and then the S55. After pawning everything he could he was left with the house on the brink of foreclosure the ML and the 360. Now his wife busts him cheating on her, kicks him out of the house and leaves him with the 360 sleeping on a friends couch in Miami Beach.

All the while he maintains that he is going to keep the 360 no matter what and that he's killed himself to make sure the payments have NEVER been late. Over the last month business picked up a little for him and I tell him since his belt service is almost 2 years over due, it would be a good idea to get it done before a catastrophic engine failure, he agrees and against my advice sends the car to the Collection (franchised Ferrari dealer in miami), they tell him the service was going to take a little over 2 weeks.

About 8 days into the service he gets a certified letter from Chase financial telling him not to bother picking up the car as they had picked up from the Collection two days after he dropped it off. Turns out that even though he never missed a payment on that loan they called in the loan because of all the other defaults on his recent credit history! DAMN!"
http://www.lambopower.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=25877

azzuri

PARKED
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
0% - New User
Aug 6, 2007
New Jersey
For low cost car market, I think Japanese cars have had the best price/quality ratio as well as resale value.
I bought a 1 yr old Civic in 1999 for 13k from a private owner and sold it this summer for 4k after driving almost 150k miles in 8 years on a 1.6 liter engine!

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
You need a beater so you can allocate money into income producing assets. Once you achieve a certain level, then spoil yourself with something. Stupid car purchases that you can't afford is what gets people in over their head.

People like cars because it makes them look rich. I'd rather be rich, than look rich.

This was posted at LamboPower.com about a guy who owned multiple exotics - he certainly wasn't rich, but boy, he looked it.

this is very good info in specific:
"People like cars because it makes them look rich. I'd rather be rich, than look rich. "

There comes a point where you stop caring while your trying to make more. then theres a point of interjection wher eyou have made enough and want to rekindle that car loving flame. get something that takes little money to keep going. and that is comfortable for you to drive and be in and you will be good fo ahwhile.

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida

Oh son how fickle is the nature of a man! Without attention reaching out for him, he's lost like time that's gone away. And yet the peace he lacks must start within.

Allthingznew

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
13%
Aug 26, 2007

This from a man who has what you want. Wisdom says to listen. The only benefit having a dream car could have is if it can motivate you to succeed to pay cash. And the temptation is great to purchase prematurely. But it's really not the about the car then is it?

Besides, you're young enough that your dream car now will be "old" and there will be other cars more interesting, but not old enough to have become a classic, so you probably wouldn't want it anyway.

lkn2bfd

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
3%
Sep 22, 2007
Birmingham,Al
I would rather be rich than look rich, but I don't want a lambo to look rich. I want a lambo because the way I feel when I'm in it. Of course I have never driver one but, I remember my first ride my friend at the time john pulled it out on the street and just floored it my adrenaline went threw the roof. I felt like I was going to pass out I love the sound the feel of the car it just made me feel so good like I was the only one there at that time. I've had an obsession with the car every since then my curse I guess I love very expensive very fast cars

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
lkn2bfd-

Lots of expensive cars aren't fast.

Some fast cars aren't that expensive (see below).

Have you thought about *why* your adrenaline goes nuts?

Not so long ago, I too wanted to own and drive a supercar.

I came up with some interesting realizations.

-Russ H.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaWoo82zNUA"]YouTube - Top Gear: Atom[/ame]

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
Andrew-- interesting site.

I don't typically buy a fairly new car (I wait til it's 3-5 years old).

But a few weeks ago we got a 2006 Mustang convt (premium/leather) w/15K mi on it for $19850 (incl tax and license).

That's $3443 less than the link you gave calculated it out for:

http://www.edmunds.com/used/2006/ford/mustang/100613485/cto.html?setzip=94559&vdp=off

We also got a 5 year warranty on it for $1200 (that's not included in the above amount).

Covers everything except regular maintanance (oil changes, etc.).

I suppose I should add we bought it for cash, so no financing costs, and our actual insurance cost is MUCH lower than the estimate given.

I *loved* the depreciation and operating cost estimates -made my day!:)

-Russ H.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Russ, as I cannot email or PM you, I'll hijack this thread for a second. The Ariel Atom 2 is available to drive! The Atom Experience (www.arielatomexperience.com) offers a half-day of driver training for $495, or a full day for $1,500. You get 45 minutes of driving time for the half day, and 1.5 hours for the full day. You might want to check it out.

EVERYTHING’S INCLUDED:

* Immaculate fleet of new 2007 track-equipped Ariel Atom 2s
* One-on-one professional instruction
* Use of custom driving equipment
* Extensive track time driving the Atom
* Gourmet food & refreshments served by hostesses
* Comfortable “pro racing” trackside hospitality facilities
* Professional event photography
* In-car video
* AAE branded apparel for you to keep

Rawr

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
95%
Aug 12, 2007
south florida
This topic is funny.. it's like asking someone what island to buy once I am a billionaire.

In spirit of the thread, here are my future babies:

1. Sports toy - Murcielago
2. Truck for people and parties - Range Rover/ Tahoe/ Escalade. With a booming sound system and special comfy driver seat
3. Every day car. Whatever - Lexus LS500, C class

Russ H

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
21%
Jul 25, 2007
Napa Valley, CA
JesseO-

Thanks for the info! :)

:fastlane:

-Russ H.

Yankees338

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
8%
Jul 24, 2007
NJ/MD
If you are looking for value, check this out: http://www.edmunds.com/apps/cto/CTOintroController
I used that the other day. It looks like my dad's gonna be buying a pre-owned car for my brother. We're going to look at an '05 Honda Accord EX-L V6 coupe with 23k miles on it tonight or tomorrow. Hopefully it checks out and we can go through with the purchase. The seller is offering to us for about $2-3k below Blue Book Value. He wholesales about 100 cars per week and we found him through a friend, so I think we're getting a good deal and he seems pretty trustworthy.

JesseO

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
6%
Jul 25, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Looks like you'd be getting a pretty good deal. An '05 Accord V6 coupe is pretty damn pricey, but if he's got the cash, then spend away =) Hondas are good cars even if they cost a bit. I only wish my dad would buy me one! Then we'd have a 2005 Accord instead of a 1991! :p

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.