The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success
  • SPONSORED: GiganticWebsites.com: We Build Sites with THOUSANDS of Unique and Genuinely Useful Articles

30% to 50% Fastlane-exclusive discounts on WordPress-powered websites with everything included: WordPress setup, design, keyword research, article creation and article publishing. Click HERE to claim.

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 90,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Canada's Home Services Empire

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I decided to go with a home service business because the competition here is a bunch of old chinese men who don't know what PPC stands for. I have a HUGE advantage in this niche because I am of the 1% of home service businesses that knows how to put themselves online.

I can totally see myself running this years down the line and making millions. I can also see myself making 10k/month a couple months from now.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
1 week ago I started running google ad campaigns to test out which service gets the most searches on google and the competition.

I decided to go with carpet cleaning because:
- there are an average of 230 searches per day in my city for it
- its almost impossible for employees to do a bad job
- i already have a quality (i thought it was quality) hot water extractor

So I set up:
- website
- new phone number for my mom to take calls. I cant in 10 days since school will be starting
- google ads campaigns
- gmb page (i got banned)
- facebook page (not running ads yet)

First week I spent $190 on Google ads. I got 12 calls and closed 3.

The jobs were:
- 1 room for $149
- 2 room for $179
- 3 room premium for $379

$190 in expenses
$ 707 in revenue

An employee can finish that in 8 hours.
25/hour x 8 = $200

That would make it:
$390 expenses
$707 revenue
$317 profit per full day of work

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I went to the $379 job today and it was a shit show.

I was talking to a guy who needs a job desperately and he is perfect since he does uber. He'll be working uber and I can call him to tell him that theres a job scheduled, he can uber someone to the job area and do the work. Win Win.

I get the call last night that he just got accepted to another job and wont be working for me. Bummer, but I didnt put all my eggs in one basket, I made a post on the nextdoor app asking if anyone needs a part time job and had a lady replace him.

She cancelled last second. Its okay. She fired herself.
I wont be hiring anyone unless they give me a resume. Not because I care about their experience but because it shows they are serious.

So I went to the job myself and was driven by my mommy since I dont have my full license yet (reason why i need employee). I started the job and my $1000 strong dyson vaccuum made for pet hair broke down and I couldnt get any stains out. I thought no worries, since the other 2 clients didnt care that I couldnt get the 30 year old high traffick dark spots out. SHE CARED (shes a realesate agent). She said she has no cash and will send me an "email" for payment when she gets home. No email. Im going to need something that can at least get these dark spots out that every house seems to have.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
- its almost impossible for employees to do a bad job
- i already have a quality (i thought it was quality) hot water extractor
It's impossible to do a good job with a car detailing water extractor (I can't even imagine doing that unless it's a $6000 portable), and it's absolutely possible and easy to do a bad job even with a $30k truck mounted extractor if you don't know what you're doing. Research VLM carpet cleaning. All you need is a 175 buffer for $500, bonnets and encap chems. Later you can upgrade to an OP machine (Orbot Vibe) and you'll need a CRB. It's fraction of the cost of a truck mount, and you'll be able to get good results with it while not spending a ton of money on gas and maintenance. You can get a portable, but it's a heavy PITA and takes 2x time to set up and break down. Those 3 jobs should've taken you like 3 hours total with drive time

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
I cleaned an apartment space and the owner was on the board of directors for the apartment.

He said he was very pleased and will put word in for me to clean the 17 floors of the apartment since they need new contractors.

I'm sending him a quote tomorrow. Gonna charge $2000 for full building (its 1 strip on each floor.

I should definitely look into commercial carpet cleaning for the future since it is recurring and higher ticket.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Hey perchboy,

I wanted to ask, why do you keep moving business ideas?

And do you want to just do service based businesses? Or are you thinking of a product idea?

Other than that I hope you close this deal with this apartment.

Just put in a good job and you’ll be set.

NathanN

Contributor
Read Fastlane!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
101%
Jul 27, 2022
Vancouver, B.C.
I live in Canada as well. I see a major opportunity if you take a more business approach. So many home service businesses don't leverage online anything to acquire customers, and have so much trouble finding workers, or don't care to grow, that they put customer service behind them when even getting leads or phone calls for jobs. If you do it right there is great opportunity to create a Fastlane business which any service.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Things have been going good. $1000 worth of jobs so far scheduled for this month so far. Im getting a crazy return on fb ad spend thanks to @Paul David and his app. The numbers work out and the math is so juicy and scaleable that I get a rush calculating them. Now I need to hire someone to fulfill them.

My hiring process so far has been a joke. I had a great prospect I interviewed with tons of cleaning experience and I called him to tell him he got the job and then he told me that he just sold his car yesterday so he can’t do the job now. WTF! It’s okay. I have other prospects in mind waiting on my call.

Registering the business has been an absolute hell. I registered as a corporation (llc for Canada) but I didn’t know that I need to be over 18 for the actual bank account that has to be connected to it. I NEED to find a way around this or else I’ll have to have my mom register and she’ll be legally in control of the business (no way in hell is that happening). I’m going into the branch tomorrow to see what I can do.

My mom and gay step dad have been giving me absolute hell lately trying to control me. “Slow down and research your time will come.” “Waste money on stupid shit before testing demand.” “Hiring someone is risky” “what if employees do a bad job” “what if chemicals kill their dog” WHAT IF THE EARTH F*ckING EXPLODES! I’m doing things legal this time so no need to worry. Limited company with full insurance to back me up.

Worst part is I get punished for not following their shit advice. They give me horrible advice which is opposite of common knowledge on the forum and take it as disrespect when I choose to follow my own instinct. I feel like a rat in a cage. I just want to freely pursue my entrepreneurship journey. But I’m not going to let that stop me from doing this. Winners always find a way to win and losers always find a way to lose.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Hey perchboy,

I wanted to ask, why do you keep moving business ideas?
Car detailing - things got slow so I quit to pursue the sexy idea of google ads. I didn’t build the business to anything. If someone were to buy it, the only value it would have is my GMB ranking and my website. I was purely focused on quick cash and not building something that would last. I could have (and probably should have) stuck to it but now with winter coming and garages being 5k/month to rent!!!!? It doesn’t look too pretty to get back into

Google Ads - I didn’t have the skills. Yes I could have learned them and succeeded but I didn’t even want to do it long term and shouldn’t have started it in the first place.
And do you want to just do service based businesses? Or are you thinking of a product idea?
Services have been my bread and butter so far. Maybe I’ll grow this business, sell it for a couple mil and then build a huge honey product line;). But that is something to worry about in the future. One step at a time.

Jrjohnny

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
181%
May 18, 2023
Things have been going good. $1000 worth of jobs so far scheduled for this month so far. Im getting a crazy return on fb ad spend thanks to @Paul David and his app. The numbers work out and the math is so juicy and scaleable that I get a rush calculating them. Now I need to hire someone to fulfill them.

My hiring process so far has been a joke. I had a great prospect I interviewed with tons of cleaning experience and I called him to tell him he got the job and then he told me that he just sold his car yesterday so he can’t do the job now. WTF! It’s okay. I have other prospects in mind waiting on my call.

Registering the business has been an absolute hell. I registered as a corporation (llc for Canada) but I didn’t know that I need to be over 18 for the actual bank account that has to be connected to it. I NEED to find a way around this or else I’ll have to have my mom register and she’ll be legally in control of the business (no way in hell is that happening). I’m going into the branch tomorrow to see what I can do.

My mom and gay step dad have been giving me absolute hell lately trying to control me. “Slow down and research your time will come.” “Waste money on stupid shit before testing demand.” “Hiring someone is risky” “what if employees do a bad job” “what if chemicals kill their dog” WHAT IF THE EARTH F*ckING EXPLODES! I’m doing things legal this time so no need to worry. Limited company with full insurance to back me up.

Worst part is I get punished for not following their shit advice. They give me horrible advice which is opposite of common knowledge on the forum and take it as disrespect when I choose to follow my own instinct. I feel like a rat in a cage. I just want to freely pursue my entrepreneurship journey. But I’m not going to let that stop me from doing this. Winners always find a way to win and losers always find a way to lose.
Hey dude, just remember that your parents are trying to do what they think is best.

You can politely take and or consider their advice, but don’t use it like it’s the best way to wealth or smth.

Car detailing - things got slow so I quit to pursue the sexy idea of google ads. I didn’t build the business to anything. If someone were to buy it, the only value it would have is my GMB ranking and my website. I was purely focused on quick cash and not building something that would last. I could have (and probably should have) stuck to it but now with winter coming and garages being 5k/month to rent!!!!? It doesn’t look too pretty to get back into
:rofl:You can use my garage at the small commission fee of 99%
Google Ads - I didn’t have the skills. Yes I could have learned them and succeeded but I didn’t even want to do it long term and shouldn’t have started it in the first place.

Services have been my bread and butter so far. Maybe I’ll grow this business, sell it for a couple mil and then build a huge honey product line;).
;) I’ll see you on the other side..

MakeItHappen

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
195%
Apr 12, 2012
No, I mean that knowing how to run PPC for a service that is offered locally and that offers such a good service that people will recommend you and buy again from you is one of the easiest ways to build a good business.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Didn’t you say that they’re all price shoppers?
Not all, like 30%. But it's worth it anyway. You just have to have a good phone script and be able to sell on the phone

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
Just went out to a $365 church room job with the new employee and then a sudden $130 2 rug job right after. He's a hard worker and fit for the job. Hes gonna officially start on the 11th.

We have 8 jobs scheduled so far for this month (around $1300) and some leads that we need to follow up with. Facebook ads have slowed down a bit so I need to troubleshoot the problem. I'll be putting up Google Local Service Ads once I have my business registered which will increase lead flow.

Another thing I'll have to do is set up a system where we can take payment or credit card info in advance so that the employee doesnt have to collect cash and we dont end up pleading them to pay the invoice after we finish.

I bought industrial equipment but we still weren't able to do a good job on the rugs since they stay a darker shade for some reason. I gotta do some more research on the actual cleaning side of things now.

The business registration is going so slow because of stupid minor laws. I talked to banks and agents but they all say that I can't open an account alone. I'm gonna go with the best option available and have my mom as a partner so she can sign on things while I still have 50% control if the worst happens.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I'm gonna go with the best option available and have my mom as a partner so she can sign on things while I still have 50% control if the worst happens.

This ain't your last deal, so don't worry about it. Worst case scenario you let it go & reincorp as an adult.

Johnny boy

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
632%
May 9, 2017
Washington State
Dude.

Put the business and accounts in whoever's name.

Your business will have no assets.

No real estate.

You turn 18, new entity, new accounts, just charge customers in new merchant account, new bank account. It's not a problem bro.

Im getting a crazy return on fb ad spend thanks to @Paul David and his app.
What's the app? Explain.

Dockid

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
169%
Aug 23, 2022
Just went out to a $365 church room job with the new employee and then a sudden $130 2 rug job right after. He's a hard worker and fit for the job. Hes gonna officially start on the 11th.

We have 8 jobs scheduled so far for this month (around $1300) and some leads that we need to follow up with. Facebook ads have slowed down a bit so I need to troubleshoot the problem. I'll be putting up Google Local Service Ads once I have my business registered which will increase lead flow.

Another thing I'll have to do is set up a system where we can take payment or credit card info in advance so that the employee doesnt have to collect cash and we dont end up pleading them to pay the invoice after we finish.

I bought industrial equipment but we still weren't able to do a good job on the rugs since they stay a darker shade for some reason. I gotta do some more research on the actual cleaning side of things now.

The business registration is going so slow because of stupid minor laws. I talked to banks and agents but they all say that I can't open an account alone. I'm gonna go with the best option available and have my mom as a partner so she can sign on things while I still have 50% control if the worst happens.
Use Stripe payment links - you can send a payment link / invoice directly to a customer using the stripe dashboard. Stripe Payment Links: Create a link. Sell anywhere in under 5 minutes. - You can also embed the link into any button your website.

Code example : <a href="stripe.perchboy-payment-link">Secure Online Payment</a>

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
Just use square or something like that to accept card after the job is done. You will lose 90% of customers if they have to pay in advance

Parks

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
140%
Jul 20, 2020
Portland
Just use square or something like that to accept card after the job is done. You will lose 90% of customers if they have to pay in advance

We require half down on everything up until $20K, then it becomes 1/3rd. I haven't lost a customer yet due to this, if they can't do a down how can they afford the work?

I will say though it is another hurdle to go through for the customer. Slight inconvenience/more work on their end not making it as easy as pie to get their product.

Paul David

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
199%
Feb 17, 2015
England

Dude.

Put the business and accounts in whoever's name.

Your business will have no assets.

No real estate.

You turn 18, new entity, new accounts, just charge customers in new merchant account, new bank account. It's not a problem bro.

What's the app? Explain.

@perchboy went from getting "crazy" return on our facebook ads program (his words not mine) to then cancelling within a few days of his post above.

I've never had a client cancel our carpet cleaning Facebook ads program within 14 days of starting it.

He's entitled to do that of course but I hope he just doesn't keep changing direction like the wind. Scaling a business requires focusing on one service and doing it well.

I wouldn't recommend doing five different cleaning services. You're then just a jack of all trades and a master of none.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
@perchboy went from getting "crazy" return on our facebook ads program (his words not mine) to then cancelling within a few days of his post above.

I've never had a client cancel our carpet cleaning Facebook ads program within 14 days of starting it.

He's entitled to do that of course but I hope he just doesn't keep changing direction like the wind. Scaling a business requires focusing on one service and doing it well.

I wouldn't recommend doing five different cleaning services. You're then just a jack of all trades and a master of none.
Lol

Don’t let them know I actually contacted you because your features for reviews and the lead centre won’t connect!

If you let me know that they take 3 weeks to set up in Canada before deleting all my stuff I wouldn’t have a problem

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
That’s my bad though Paul, I should’ve asked for help with the apps instead of just deeming it doesn’t work and asking to cancel

Shoot me a dm

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
3 jobs today
$650+ total
paid $250 to employee
All while sitting in school.

Our schedule is slowly filling up now and im loving it.

Hard working positive employee + chemicals that work = happy clients
We have solved the poor service issues and are now providing exceptional service to every client to the point of leaving reviews without us asking. My employee let me know that he applied to be a policeman and is waiting to be accepted so he is just temporary. We'll have to critique our system to make it easy for anyone to do the job (proper schedule, online payments, etc)

Facebook ads have low margins but they are keeping us busy which is good.
Google ads are not converting anything and is throwing money down the drain.
GMB page was killing it before it got banned. - It was up for a few days in 1 city and generated $450 FOR FREE! Im working right now on finessing Google to let me have 5 different Google my business pages for 5 different cities so i can get 5x the leads.

A minor problem is that clients constantly cancel and reschedule on us. We'll have to put measures to prevent that in the future but that is a luxury to worry about when we're fully booked up and have an excess of bookings to the point where we can filter out low-quality customers. Main focus right now is filling up the schedule which means I need to focus on getting these GMB pages up and ranked.

perchboy

Gold Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
320%
Aug 7, 2022
Toronto, Canada
24 days ago my uncle called me stupid for wanting to hire my first employee.

He was talking to me with disgust like I have no clue what I'm doing (his business is 70K in debt). I could have listened to him and tucked my tail in between my legs thinking "its too risky! what if things dont work out!?" but instead I asked myself "whats the worst that will happen? what if things do work out?" I told him "tell me I'm stupid again 1 month from now" and proceeded to take the risk.

In the past 2 days, we have scheduled $2000 worth of jobs.

We just closed a $700 job for a commercial hallway.
We also had our first client who wanted to rebook with us; we did 1 rug and then she wanted us to come back and do her whole 2 story home.

I love how fast things are going now but I want it to go faster. We have been going off of Facebook ads only but the business is now officially registered so Google LSA and GMB will be up and running by next Monday.

Goal:
- $10,000 revenue in the month of December

WillHurtDontCare

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
305%
May 28, 2017
USA
My mom and gay step dad have been giving me absolute hell lately trying to control me. “Slow down and research your time will come.”

- $10,000 revenue in the month of December

Sounds like you're listening to their advice - make it $15,000 in December.

Great thread man. Keep your foot on the gas pedal.

savefox

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
178%
Jun 15, 2022
you can easily make $20000 in November. It's only 2-3 jobs per day 5 days a week.

Andy Black

Help people. Get paid. Help more people.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
369%
May 20, 2014
Ireland
We have been going off of Facebook ads only but the business is now officially registered so Google LSA and GMB will be up and running by next Monday.
Don't forget Google Ads:

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

Latest Posts

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.