The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can we smoke weed in the entrepreneurial world?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I would like to know if smoking weed has constraints in entrepreneurship

One of the benefits of entrepreneurship... Everything is your choice. It is up to you. Results may vary. Adjust as you see fit.

Performance and legal risk (depending on geography) are simply variables to consider. If it is worth it to you, smoke it. If not. Don't.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
Last edited:

minivanman

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
265%
Mar 16, 2017
DFW
Why would you prefer someone else to tell you what YOU should do? Are you unable to weigh pros and cons and form your own opinion on the matter?

^^ THIS^^
Sounds as though you need a boss to tell you what you can and can not do?
But, I do kinda understand where you are coming from. You just wondered if others smoked.

I've never done any kind of drugs, but I used to drink a little (You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning). But, I'm the type of guy that can go to a bar, be the life of the party without ever drinking 1 drop and the next day I can remember what happened. You should strive to be so happy you don't need any of that stuff. Almost everyone that hangs out with me has stopped drinking because they saw that I could still be the same person, or funnier, without alcohol.... so they decided to do the same thing. I know you asked about pot but it's the same no matter what it is. But, if it's something you just LOVE to do..... waste your money on it! It's YOUR life! ..... but do not drive!

Ismail941

Silver Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
108%
May 7, 2019
Steve Jobs took LSD
So to a certain extent, yes
If you are in Colorado, you are welcome to do this

WabiSabi

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
266%
Sep 2, 2019
Katy, Texas
It does absolutely nothing to help you, but you've got to come to that conclusion on your own.

Farming on the other hand, booming industry here in the states. LEDS, fans, HPS bulbs, fertilizer, Soil, fungicide, distribution, lawyers, medical all sorts of opportunities.

100ToOne

Silver Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
204%
Jul 1, 2018
Not for everyone. How much years, money, time, experiences wasted because of it, yet some people can pull it off.

My experience: 8/10 fail weed integration test.

The other 2/10 can basically do everything a normal person can whilst being active smokers.

I used to be from 8/10. What about you? I'd say if you're determined, do it when you don't have serious responsibilities then you can know where you stand.

daniel_m

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
260%
Feb 26, 2019
I don't know of many rich weed smokers that aren't celebrities of some kind. I don't think it's conducive to achieving success through traditional "business", so I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. And yes, I know Tupac is my avi.

Val Okafor

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
215%
Nov 14, 2015
San Diego, CA
Don't smoke weed. Because I never have and never will. There you have it, you asked us to tell you how to live your life.

The real answer is that it's up to you. As a client I would prefer to deal with a vendor who does not smoke weed. Personal preference.

AceVentures

Platinum Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
404%
Apr 16, 2019
Consider why you would ponder such a question to begin with. You'll learn infinitely more about yourself.

Here's one take - weed or any other state altering experience can be thought of as a momentary change in perspective. That comes with advantages and disadvantages. But it's just another ability to perceive the world. Not better. Not worse. Just different. As if wearing different colored glasses.

As for whether it has space in the "entrepreneurial world" - Maybe you were more interested in whether it's "accepted" in this space to have interest in weed. To that, I suggest you take note of something - could you be subconsciously conforming to some standard? The standard that says what's "entrepreneurial" and what isn't? Could be a pattern of thought...

Remember what Unscripted is all about - you can choose whatever, you can believe whatever - just don't look for approval from others to validate the essence of your experience. If it has value for you and others, you'll see it and you'll know. If it's destructive in your life, you'll see that and you'll know. Just be aware and pay attention.

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
445%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
I think the answer is kinda like the college question, depends on the person.

Certain drugs have creative effects and can be instrumental in solving problems in ways previously unseen. Also allows a shift of perspective.

LordGanon

Silver Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
294%
Jun 22, 2020
Germany
I know its medical effects are MUCH WOW. But do you have cancer? Glaucoma? Chronic back pain?

So you want to smoke recreationally. Same rule applies as to every other drug: Moderation is key. And then there are drugs which are so harmful even in moderation that you should just not put them into your body.

Is it detrimental to your goals? Well, whenever I smoke a joint, I sleep about 10 hours and can't get myself to do anything the next day, all of this with a mellow smile and indifference. Certainly not a great starting point for entrepreneurship.

I have a friend who is a high-performing programmer and smokes weed from morning until he goes to bed. I don't know how he even is able to program high, because all I can do is lie around and watch cartoons and eat chocolate. He's been talking about starting his own business for seven years, now.

But he's still just a freelancer and spends his free time with people who buy weed from him. So all business he gets are a few grams every week.

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
I know its medical effects are MUCH WOW. But do you have cancer? Glaucoma? Chronic back pain?

So you want to smoke recreationally. Same rule applies as to every other drug: Moderation is key. And then there are drugs which are so harmful even in moderation that you should just not put them into your body.

Is it detrimental to your goals? Well, whenever I smoke a joint, I sleep about 10 hours and can't get myself to do anything the next day, all of this with a mellow smile and indifference. Certainly not a great starting point for entrepreneurship.

I have a friend who is a high-performing programmer and smokes weed from morning until he goes to bed. I don't know how he even is able to program high, because all I can do is lie around and watch cartoons and eat chocolate. He's been talking about starting his own business for seven years, now.

But he's still just a freelancer and spends his free time with people who buy weed from him. So all business he gets are a few grams every week.

Yeah I see people who smoke weed just because as lacking discipline and will power. But what they do is not my business.

I smoke because I have Crohn's disease and it keeps me in remission. Basically it allows me to live a normal life. And it's all in the THC (also CBD but to a lesser extent).

I'm used to smoking street weed (14% + THC) and I can do anything while high just as I would normally. And yet I still only get high late in the evening and don't need much to keep myself healthy.

So it's not the weed that makes one a an aimless loser, it's usually the people around him who also smoke tend to be lazy, easy-going freeloaders. That was my social circle and I could never really fit in so I minimized my time spent with them.

Last edited:

Simon Angel

Platinum Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
290%
Apr 24, 2016
Dang, I sleep for 10 hours without weed, that is 1 reason I never smoked it. If I smoked it I'd sleep all day....

I can't sleep when I'm drunk and I can't really sleep when I'm high as well. The former makes me feel like the room is a centrifuge while on the latter I sometimes "forget" to breathe and it wakes me up just as I am about to enter phase 1 sleep. That's more anxiety related though.

I don't know of many rich weed smokers that aren't celebrities of some kind. I don't think it's conducive to achieving success through traditional "business", so I wouldn't recommend making a habit of it. And yes, I know Tupac is my avi.

Give me a year.

By the way, the weed Tupac smoked is way different from the weed that is currently smoked in the US.

Last edited:

RealDreams

Silver Contributor
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Jun 22, 2018
I used to smoke in the past, thought it made me creative. Maybe it did, but the law of diminishing returns is real.

Smoking weed makes you complacent. You smoke and then start going down into a negative spiral, inevitably. You might end up watching movies, eating junk food or doing some other unproductive stuff. Can you afford that? I can't, for example.

ElleMg

Pronounced like the Elle in excellent
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
198%
Aug 13, 2020
UK
Set boundaries and expectations for yourself and do what you want. Does weed help you do the things you need to do, to get to where you want to be? If no, maybe stick to only using it later in the evening, or weekends, or whatever works for you

fridge

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
166%
Jun 4, 2020
USA
Imo, psychedelics have more properties that would blend with entrepreneurship then weed (or in my opinion, more than any other drug does). Not advocating drug use, but substances like LSD and psilocybin have great potential to spur profound changes in people in ways we don't fully understand yet.

Last edited:

Jerma

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
242%
Aug 10, 2020
Canada
If you are not where you want to be in life, I would say try something else (like not smoking). If you are in a good place, do whatever you want!

JAJT

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
549%
Aug 7, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Cannabis hits everyone differently - some get paranoid, some get relaxed, etc...

Also, different strains and strengths and quantities feel different ways - Taking a one hitter off a "normal strength" strain to take the edge off is totally different from smoking a full blunt of a potent strain.

Laws also matter - risk vs reward.

Health also matters - smoking isn't healthy.

Timing also matters - are you able to work under the influence or does it slow you down?

Do you get more and better work done high, or does your work suffer?

I heard a really interesting take by Seth Rogan where he was talking about smoking while working. He said he finds it insane that people stress out during the 9-5 and can't wait to get home to smoke weed all moments of the day, when they could just smoke while working, eliminate that entire distraction, and just get to work while enjoying something they love. Obviously this worked for him, but wouldn't work for everyone, but it's not a ridiculous point of view from someone who can function under the influence.

It's such a highly individual question that it's really quite silly to ask others about it.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
You can do whatever the F*ck you want lol

You might find that weed helps you. You might find that weed is preventing you from getting where you want in life. Don't blame the ganja, but you may decide you'd rather live without it.

That's the beauty of this life: you can do whatever you find helps you, so long as you're willing to deal with the consequences.

OverByte

Bronze Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
141%
May 18, 2014
Canada
I wasn’t going to bite on this but decided to give my perspective.

There are many drugs, each affects people differently and some have more social stigma than others. I think cannabis is particularly interesting due to how its cultural perception has evolved over time. I believe it’s a positive shift that there is a growing movement of legalization of the drug (I live in Canada - fully legal here) for a few reasons, one of these is that it shows you how perception is biased by authority. If you had of asked this question 5-10 years ago I think you would have gotten drastically different answers than you are experiencing today and this would have been primarily due to the illegality of the substance and the belief that since it is illegal it must be bad. This is a dangerous train of thought in its own right but not the subject of this discussion.

Regarding the effects of cannabis itself, it’s a drug, neither good nor bad. It has effects (like any drug) and these can be both positive and negative. My personal experience: I use it off and on and at low frequency (very rare to use it more than once a week). I know how it affects me and use it for two primary reasons: 1 - it helps me relax which I have a hard time doing. 2 - it has creative effects - particularly it stimulates divergent thought, so I get some interesting ideas while under the influence. I think they are amazing, most aren’t, but I enjoy the creative activity and write them down and sometimes there’s some gold in there that has made me actual money.

I also am aware that it has negative effects and don’t delude myself: 1 - I don’t like the tiredness that comes afterwards so I use it after I finished what needs to get done. I will sometimes go back to work on a problem after use and find it stimulative but I consider this a bonus and don’t rely on it, if I need to get something done I get it done before hand. 2 - I’m very health conscious and don’t like smoking it, I use a vaporizer but still am not thrilled about inhaling the fumes, but I also don’t think its that bad if you’re only doing it once in a while, it may even have some hermetic benefits.

So I consider cannabis a tool, maybe even a crutch, to help relax, but I realize it as such and have considered the benefit/cost tradeoff and believe that at times the benefit outweighs the cost and at other times it doesn’t. The important thing to me is that I remain in control. I periodically will take longer breaks away from it and if I find myself trying to justify its usage I consider that a negative sign.

I definitely do not buy in to the stoner stigmas of yester-year. I also wonder what society would be like if cannabis was society’s preferred drug of choice over alcohol (which is quantitatively far more harmful). It’s interesting that gov regulation (driven by special interest groups) have driven the societal taboo to be marijuana worse than cigarettes which are worse than alcohol, when realistically it is probably exactly backwards.

Anyway…

The real reason I answered this question is because I think based on my experience as a still naive 34 year old but much wiser than my 20 year old self there are some lessons to this question I think are valuable to share:

1 - don’t look for approval from others on how to live your life, this is a surefire way to be miserable and fail to live up to your potential
2 - be willing to experiment with things but keep in mind risks, especially when considering mind altering chemicals
3 - remember that moderation is key and make sure you are in control, if you find yourself unable to abstain from a substance you are on a slippery slope and I would recommend practicing self control regularly and often.
4 - be wary of chemical crutches but also understand they can be valuable. Maybe I could better relax through meditation (which does help) but until I can float through air maybe it still helps to be able to use cannabis sometimes and maybe that is ok. Just understand the costs and remain in control.

Last edited:

socaldude

Saturn Sedan and PT Cruiser enthusiast.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
212%
Jan 10, 2012
San Diego, CA
The way I look at it is we all have a cognitive ecosystem that’s dependent and created when our body interacts with another external thing. Most confusion happens at this level, the sense-perception syntax level.

Now any “drug” that helps “short circuit” this ecosystem or helps us stand outside it’s confines is good. It can help us gain clarity and creativity

LSD, THC, alcohol, tobacco can do this.

But IMO it’s better if you try to do this without the assistance of any external drug or thing. Because it could make this cognitive ecosystem even worse and more powerful. Like a double edged sword.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.