The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can I afford it? - Question about The Millionaire Fastlane book

TalmacelMarian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 31, 2020
Hello everybody,

I was reading The Millionaire Fastlane book and I was wondering if somebody can give me any feedback on my question.

MJ mentions something like you shouldn't buy anything if it makes you think if you can afford it more than a pack of gum, something along those lines.

Now I changed careers from working in a warehouse to being a self taught developer abouut a year ago.

I've been saving some money and in a few months to a year I would be able to put down the deposit for a flat/house and move into my own place with some savings left over.

The question is, do I have to reconsider this because I'm thinking more about it than when buying a pack of gums?

I mean..I think buying my own place would be a good investment instead of paying rent into someone's else pocket that I am never going to see again.

What is your guys opinion?

Regards, Marian

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

alexkuzmov

Gold Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
130%
Sep 20, 2019
Bulgaria
Hello everybody,

I was reading The Millionaire Fastlane book and I was wondering if somebody can give me any feedback on my question.

MJ mentions something like you shouldn't buy anything if it makes you think if you can afford it more than a pack of gum, something along those lines.

Now I changed careers from working in a warehouse to being a self taught developer abouut a year ago.

I've been saving some money and in a few months to a year I would be able to put down the deposit for a flat/house and move into my own place with some savings left over.

The question is, do I have to reconsider this because I'm thinking more about it than when buying a pack of gums?

I mean..I think buying my own place would be a good investment instead of paying rent into someone's else pocket that I am never going to see again.

What is your guys opinion?

Regards, Marian
Well you have to live somewhere, no?
Better pay to a bank for your own place than rent if the rent is way too high

MJ DeMarco

I followed the science; all I found was money.
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
446%
Jul 23, 2007
Utah
What country?

This is a question that is pretty easily answered, but you're talking about real estate which can be both a liability and an investment. The answer is dependent on your local market, forecasts, your financial situation, your future goals, a lot of things are in play.

The affordability question usually pertains to discretionary purchases, cars, boats, jewelry, expensive electronic gadgets.

Kid

Gold Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
98%
Mar 1, 2016
I think buying my own place would be a good investment
Can you house "hack" the deal?
Buy something with two bedrooms, rent one to someone and basically live rent free?

As to answer your question, people sometimes get ahead of themselves.
Mortgage can be a burden.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

TalmacelMarian

New Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
150%
Oct 31, 2020
What country?

This is a question that is pretty easily answered, but you're talking about real estate which can be both a liability and an investment. The answer is dependent on your local market, forecasts, your financial situation, your future goals, a lot of things are in play.

The affordability question usually pertains to discretionary purchases, cars, boats, jewelry, expensive electronic gadgets.
I'm in the UK.
Can you house "hack" the deal?
Buy something with two bedrooms, rent one to someone and basically live rent free?

As to answer your question, people sometimes get ahead of themselves.
Mortgage can be a burden.
That would probably be the plan. For me I think having my own place would help me in my other ventures as well, youtube for example - it would really help to have my own place with an office - etc.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.