The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Can an entrepreneur ever own a dog?

Vigilante

Legendary Contributor
Staff member
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
596%
Oct 31, 2011
Gulf Coast
I struggle to even understand your question, so let me summarize it this way.

Go buy a dog from a rescue. Today. The dog may actually rescue you.

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
I struggle to even understand your question, so let me summarize it this way.

Go buy a dog from a rescue. Today. The dog may actually rescue you.

Hmmm... I am not sure this is such a great idea. There is a post about watering plants being "the kind of stress I don't need". Poor F*cking dog will die.

G

Guest-5ty5s4

Hmmm... I am not sure this is such a great idea. There is a post about watering plants being "the kind of stress I don't need". Poor f*cking dog will die.
People get this weird idea in their head about rich people act (that’s totally false), and proceed to embody that while having $13 in their bank accounts.

Just water the damn plants! Hahaha

BizyDad

Keep going. Keep growing.
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
417%
Oct 7, 2019
Phoenix AZ
To be fair, the OP didn't mention plants.

The "plants are stress" guy is the same one who thinks dogs are a tradeoff from working hard, wives slow you down, watching sports isn't good, daily restaurant orders are great but only for him, Tesla's are a waste until you have a $700k net worth, and this thread is a landfill waste of brain power but he'll still write 500 word responses.

@Seamster is the beating heart of this thread. I'd transfer rep just on principle. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I need more Seamster on all my threads.

The dog may actually rescue you.

Fun fact, petting a dog has been shown to be more effective than certain medications for lowering blood pressure.

Studies have also shown that dog owners recover from major medical trauma faster than non dog owners. And dog owners on average live longer than non-dog owners.

So looking at the data, if you get a dog, you'll actually have more time, not less, to save up that $700k so you can live your best Tesla driving, plant killing, neighbor ignoring, no wife having life.

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
Hmmm... I am not sure this is such a great idea. There is a post about watering plants being "the kind of stress I don't need". Poor f*cking dog will die.
That wasn't the OP
I do have 5 plants. And since I'm out of town now, I had to have my neighbor go water them. That's stress I don't need, right?

Last edited:

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
I suggest some of y'all in this thread read "Let My People Go Surfing."
Yvon Chouinard got into business because it supported his lifestyle (selling climbing equipment out of his car), not the other way around.
It's possible, people.

Entrepreneurship in America is magic.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018
That wasn't the OP though

Get your facts straight before you criticise.

And stop stalking Johnny, you're the one that comes off as weird, popping up every time he makes a comment.

And now here's the dogs we rescued:

She's a retired breeder, poor girl spent her entire working life in a cage, she could hardly walk when we got her, her muscles were so atrophied.
View attachment 39957

This one was rescued before she began her breeding career.
View attachment 39958

This guy's owner died & he was taken by the govt.
View attachment 39959

And he was in an apartment of seven dogs, tied up in the kitchen all the time.
He had a skin disease, lost half his fur & stunk to high heaven.
View attachment 39960

They all looked pretty bad when we got them and they took a lot of buffing to get them back in shape.

And the following is why chow chow, are the best dogs ever:
(They're called Chinese chow in the US, although they're actually Mongolian, but since Genghis, who's reputed to have had 10,000, conquered China & became Chinese himself, the chows followed)
They don't bark
They don't chew
They don't dig
They don't climb furniture
They don't beg your food

But most importantly
View attachment 39962

They don't make you look gay

Dude, I just typed this as you posted, I'm not editing now. LOL
These dogs are adorable.
Good man for rescuing them!

you are right, thanks for pointing out that OP wasn’t the plants person. After the first blush read I didn’t take this thread seriously.

I do think real kudos are due to the OP because it’s a very lively debate thread. Lots of good people posting great advice. And so many great pics of dogs.

Steve Jobs was a successful businessman but a total dick in person and a weirdo. Did he have a dog? Anyone know?

Odysseus M Jones

[B...{r<°∆°>}--O--{<°∆°>k}...E]
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
X MODERATED X
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
170%
Feb 2, 2020
These dogs are adorable.
Good man for rescuing them!

you are right, thanks for pointing out that OP wasn’t the plants person. After the first blush read I didn’t take this thread seriously.

I do think real kudos are due to the OP because it’s a very lively debate thread. Lots of good people posting great advice. And so many great pics of dogs.

Steve Jobs was a successful businessman but a total dick in person and a weirdo. Did he have a dog? Anyone know?
We rescued a fifth dog but he only lasted a couple of months.
Multiple organ failure due to severe beating & abuse.
He was only two.

But he enjoyed his time with us & that's as good as lifetime of happiness because dogs live in the present.

And during that time we had 5 dogs and two cats, also rescued, we also ran a successful business from home.

Could we have made more money if we didn't have The Magnificent Seven?

No, because it was the dogs that inspired us to start our pet product company.

Without them we wouldn't have known of the problems waiting to be solved & values to be skewed.

Last edited:

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
No, because it was the dogs that inspired us to start our pet product company.

Without them we wouldn't have known of the problems waiting to be solved & values to be skewed.

Fostering dogs is what led me to start my now $5M pet company. Sometimes when the foster dogs are sleeping I look at them and thank them for my current home and its belongings!

Actually I remember one time very clearly. It was when I took this picture below. I was fostering both of these dogs and I was staying in an Airbnb because my home was being remodeled. I was working late at night and looking at these two sleeping and at first thinking how lucky they were to get rescued, and then I thought of how lucky I was that they were the reason I could get my home remodeled!

3FA1A2F5-605E-4DF1-896C-056BD24B6A8B.jpg

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
right now I'm committed to preparing for my first business so I know I can't get a dog now. but I really love them and I wonder if I will ever have the time to have one. even after some success you will always be committed to scaling your business to the next level unless you get lucky enough to sell it for a lot of money in a short time and you won't want to sacrifice the time and chances for a dog. will I realistically have to give up getting one at least for quite a long time as I chose to live the ambitious life of an entrepreneur?

edit: you won't be working every single seconds awake obviously but since, unlike any other hobbies or relationships, having a dog is one of the most time and attention consuming(especially because I'm single living alone) and especially you can't quit it as you please for 10+ years I was curious specifically on this, rather than 'having a hobby in general as an entrepreneur', because I know they definitely can.
When I was on the road with my career, I didn't have any pets or house plants. I had a townhouse in a beautiful complex -- so NO exterior maintenance issues. I was a single woman with grown children. I didn't even have an assistant or group of secretaries and the corner office up the street as I had in the past. I loved it.

Now I'm retired. I have a loving husband, an 80 pound service dog, multiple businesses, an office that I man just about every day, and a lot of people to care for.
Go figure.

TheCj

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
191%
Jan 3, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Can get your dog fix without owning, that way you can manage your time better.

Volunteer at your local animal shelter, or sign up on uber style dog sitting sites. That way you choose how much time you are giving and when it works for you. Am sure there other options.

genesisk5

Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
79%
Mar 25, 2020
south korea
:rofl:Brain power? Please.

Scalability is literally the only thing that matters to building a company. If you don’t have room in your mind to do anything but business (in this case task work), you’re in the wrong business.

We all have the same 16 waking hours of the day. Actually wealthy people don’t mash computer keys for all 16 hours. They multiply their time. They have hours worked in their name through delegation, automation, outsourcing and direct employment.

The “crush it all day every day” Red Bull crowd are fooling themselves into thinking they are a CEO, when in fact, they are just incarcerated, in a prison of their own making, barely completing a broad spectrum of task work better reserved for others.

This is about a dog for crying out loud. The dude is already concerned about his plants. Quit making life a horror movie. It doesn’t have to be.

The title of this thread is even more depressing than some of the responses here. Can an entrepreneur EVER have a dog? Holy hell! “Ever” is a pretty serious consideration.

The most successful people in the world don’t shy away from responsibilities. They deal with them.

You make me want to order a Tesla for me and my wife, maybe even one for my dog to piss on… and I prefer Mercedes.

The answer to the man’s question is one word. Yes. He can have a frickin dog.
this is so true. although until my business starts running it self I will have to work like a task work person but after that I will actually have more time, not spending every single seconds awake on scaling my business until I get to sell it for $10M, and that's one of the biggest points of becoming and entrepreneur. fair enough people being 'wtf' on this thread. obviously I'm not even close to being one yet so although I've learn it many times reading books I easily forget about it. so although I won't get a dog right now I'm so happy to realize that entrepreneurs can easily have one. I'll be looking forward to the day of getting one in my future as a grown up entrepreneur.

ps. I'm not the plant guy haha thanks for those who proved it for me.

Seamster

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
139%
May 21, 2019
The Rust Belt; MI
To be fair, the OP didn't mention plants.

The "plants are stress" guy is the same one who thinks dogs are a tradeoff from working hard, wives slow you down, watching sports isn't good, daily restaurant orders are great but only for him, Tesla's are a waste until you have a $700k net worth, and this thread is a landfill waste of brain power but he'll still write 500 word responses.

@Seamster is the beating heart of this thread. I'd transfer rep just on principle. Laughter truly is the best medicine. I need more Seamster on all my threads.

Haha, man, and I've only posted twice! And if you need more of me in your life then I'm doing something wrong. I'll have to find another thread with guys with less-thick skin to terrorize! :)

In all honesty I come from a place where many people are poor. Many leave in search of fortune. Eventually, I bit the bullet to get a job in the big city so I could make more money ($70k). There, I worked with 26 year olds who never had their first job until they were 22-23. Who was the best worker in the place? I was. I grew up knowing that hardwork is important. I was promoted because I was more grateful to have this job than the others (who felt they deserved this job). (Note, I'm a Gen Y Millennial [1978-1989 birth] and most of my co-workers were Gen Z Millennials [1990-2000]. I did somewhat notice that the workers in their mid-30s were better workers, but I don't know if this can be attributed to age or generation. For me personally, it was likely neither but my place of birth.)*

Sooo, I'm used to to people disagreeing with what I say. The president of our company might have made $150k and the rest of us made $60-80k, but only I and the super cheap Chinese guy who lived with his aunt had a net worth of over $250k. And only probably 3-4 total had a net worth of over $100k and that was equity in their homes. So, every 2 weeks the Chinese guy and I would laugh because we always saw a brand-new leased vehicle in the parking lot. I mean, these people were bringing home $3000 per month and spending $600 (+$150 insurance) to buy a Lexus or BMW. And guess who was the bad guy recommending that they get a 5 year old Lexus? Me. People don't want my help but I feel like a bad guy if I don't give it. No friends? Oh well. At least I sleep well knowing I tried to be helpful, even though not one wants my help. I guess I'm not as handsome as Dave Ramsey :)

Finally, the plants and restaurants are just examples. I could have used a pet toad and going to the gun range. Most people treat examples as true situations and fail to understand that examples should be related to dozens of situations in your own life. Plant, dog, wife, kid....all of these can and do cause certain people stress and force them to use up time and money. I am not wrong here. Although my way of writing/talking frequently rubs people the wrong way. I wish this didn't happen I just want to fit in here and learn and help others.

Wasting brain power is kind of a joke about the humor of this thread. Waste? This thread? Probably. But I'm enjoying it. And yeah, a Tesla is the absolute biggest example these days because people are buying them to save money. It's comical to me. Remember I said I worked at a company in the big city where people were buying cars? Well, it was an automotive company and our job was to reduce costs thereby increasing profits. Huge spreadsheets with all these calculations is what we did for the company. So it's amazing that so few of us did this in our own lives.

And my co-workers laughed at me. Yet they still sit at those goddamn desks from 9-5 Monday through Friday. I'm semi-retired after only 5 years. The criticism makes me stronger!

*See Not Everyone Gets a Trophy book for Millennial descriptions

PapaGang

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Jul 10, 2019
Milwaukee, WI
Fostering dogs is what led me to start my now $5M pet company. Sometimes when the foster dogs are sleeping I look at them and thank them for my current home and its belongings!

Actually I remember one time very clearly. It was when I took this picture below. I was fostering both of these dogs and I was staying in an Airbnb because my home was being remodeled. I was working late at night and looking at these two sleeping and at first thinking how lucky they were to get rescued, and then I thought of how lucky I was that they were the reason I could get my home remodeled!

View attachment 39973
Shepherds are the best.

Antifragile

Progress not perfection
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
457%
Mar 15, 2018

HabitsCampaigner

Jim Miotke
FASTLANE INSIDER
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
136%
Jan 6, 2021
Monterey, CA
That’s great @Antifragile After I wanted to see what it’d be like to do it in reverse order. Always meant to try that since Stephen Covey’s book. I thought about filming something quickly but I don’t have the time - haha… or the golf balls. Then I realized (duh!) someone might have already done this on YouTube :)

I always have time for my kids, dogs and friends. If any of you ever want to get together and share a couple green drinks or protein smoothies , I’m game!

K1 Lambo

Silver Contributor
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
138%
Oct 11, 2021
Oslo
right now I'm committed to preparing for my first business so I know I can't get a dog now. but I really love them and I wonder if I will ever have the time to have one. even after some success you will always be committed to scaling your business to the next level unless you get lucky enough to sell it for a lot of money in a short time and you won't want to sacrifice the time and chances for a dog. will I realistically have to give up getting one at least for quite a long time as I chose to live the ambitious life of an entrepreneur?

edit: you won't be working every single seconds awake obviously but since, unlike any other hobbies or relationships, having a dog is one of the most time and attention consuming(especially because I'm single living alone) and especially you can't quit it as you please for 10+ years I was curious specifically on this, rather than 'having a hobby in general as an entrepreneur', because I know they definitely can.
Dude Sylvester Stallone owned a dog while writing the script for the first Rocky movie. What is interesting is that he had to sell his dog Butkus for $25 just to afford food and pay the electricity bill in his late twenties , and he actually bought him back for $3000 after his first two Rocky movies hit the billboard. My dad has a Belgian Malinois and it's one of the most loyal dogs we've ever had. She would literally kill herself just to save your a$$.

WJK

Legendary Contributor
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
256%
Oct 9, 2017
Alaska
I love dogs, but they require more time and care than cats, that's for sure. If you spend a lot of time at home, adopting a dog might be a good idea. In case you often work till late or go somewhere where you can't take a dog, it is better to get another pet.
When I was on the road all the time, I had no pets or house plants. Now I have a service dog and lots of house plants. It all depends on your lifestyle.

MaxAMG

New Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
92%
Aug 29, 2022
Netherlands
Honestly, it's my dream to get a dog. I'm willing to work as hard for taking care of the dog as I am for making my entrepreneurial dreams come true. However, (partner) allergies are currently preventing this from coming true, hehe.

I'm surprised by people who look at the pros and cons of getting a dog in regards to their (potential) success. If you're looking at it like this, probably you don't really want a dog anyway. I guess it's about whether getting a dog will contribute to your happiness in life or not.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.