The Entrepreneur Forum | Financial Freedom | Starting a Business | Motivation | Money | Success

Welcome to the only entrepreneur forum dedicated to building life-changing wealth.

Build a Fastlane business. Earn real financial freedom. Join free.

Join over 80,000 entrepreneurs who have rejected the paradigm of mediocrity and said "NO!" to underpaid jobs, ascetic frugality, and suffocating savings rituals— learn how to build a Fastlane business that pays both freedom and lifestyle affluence.

Free registration at the forum removes this block.

Buy me a car!

Anything related to matters of the mind

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
Was going to post this on the "Thinking about buying a used luxury car but didn't want to hijack the thread)

So I am finally getting around to buying my first car (turned 16 5 months ago..). my budget is 10k-15k (no higher). My mom keeps showing me camry's and rav-4's (ick), most of them have around 70k, I keep thinking that there are decent mercs with similar price and mileage (yes, a little older though). Here are my dilemmas:

-I would like to get one without emptying out my wallet for every repair bill, can used mercs come with a decent maintenance plans? I probably wouldn't put that many miles on it, I am going to trade it in as soon as I can afford something a little more recent (hopefully sometime in the next year or 2)

-I live in Colorado, it snows a lot in the winter, I can't have anything with higher HP and rear wheel drive, would prefer something with 4 wheel drive but 2 wheel f or b works just as well as long as it doesn't have to many ponies.

-preferably not an SUV as I would love one but with gas prices these days, a higher mpg car would be smarter

-I am completely fine driving anything 2000's+ with no more miles than aound 100k

So, that is my criteria for picking a car, I REALLY like mercs but am open to any suggestions for a more luxury car (please no prius suggestions), any ideas come to mind?

Look forward to your responses,
Mike

Dislike ads? Remove them and support the forum: Subscribe to Fastlane Insiders.
D

DeletedUser394

You went from having $160 (or something like that) in your account, to a few days later having a 10k-15k budget for a car?

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
You could go with a G35 or a lexus IS. Japenese cars hold up better than european ones. These 2 in particular are also very fun cars and I think they both offered an AWD version.

Lincoln MKZs/zephers are nice cars too. Not as sporty but frontwd or awd and would handle better in the snow and ice.

Last but not least an Audi A4 might be an option to consider. However it is less reliable.

Sid23

Bronze Contributor
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
17%
Aug 9, 2007
Was going to post this on the "Thinking about buying a used luxury car but didn't want to hijack the thread)

So I am finally getting around to buying my first car (turned 16 5 months ago..). my budget is 10k-15k (no higher). My mom keeps showing me camry's and rav-4's (ick), most of them have around 70k, I keep thinking that there are decent mercs with similar price and mileage (yes, a little older though). Here are my dilemmas:

-I would like to get one without emptying out my wallet for every repair bill, can used mercs come with a decent maintenance plans? I probably wouldn't put that many miles on it, I am going to trade it in as soon as I can afford something a little more recent (hopefully sometime in the next year or 2)

-I live in Colorado, it snows a lot in the winter, I can't have anything with higher HP and rear wheel drive, would prefer something with 4 wheel drive but 2 wheel f or b works just as well as long as it doesn't have to many ponies.

-preferably not an SUV as I would love one but with gas prices these days, a higher mpg car would be smarter

-I am completely fine driving anything 2000's+ with no more miles than aound 100k

So, that is my criteria for picking a car, I REALLY like mercs but am open to any suggestions for a more luxury car (please no prius suggestions), any ideas come to mind?

Look forward to your responses,
Mike

You are 16 years old? Are you operating a fastlane business that will buy this car for you? Have you sold your first fastlane business and pocketed seven figures?

If yes, congratulations and buy whatever car you want!

If no, buy the most inexpensive car you can that will get you where you need to go (& safely) and save the rest of the money for your business.

Sincerely,

The 35 year old you

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
You went from having $160 (or something like that) in your account, to a few days later having a 10k-15k budget for a car?
Ya, I didn't tell you my business was taking off? (read below)

Sorry guys I should have explained, my parents have decided it would be beneficial to buy me a car, they are tired of me needing to have to take their cars places haha, I still only have about $700 now personally but hopefully that will change in a couple weeks!

(no, they will not take that 10k and put it into one of my business ideas, I would love that but it ain't gonna happen)

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
So your parents are buying a car, and you want a luxury car with an expensive repair cycle? This sounds like a horrible idea. You don't need to look cool, you need something that works all the time.

I also own an 04 4runner. I would get another if i lost this one.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas

rocksolid

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
25%
Nov 17, 2008
New York
Ok, hold on......... You are 16 and you want a Mercedes?? Ask yourself this. What is your goal? To look cool? Because in a Mercedes you will look like you are driving daddy’s car. Who is paying for the insurance? Who is paying for repairs? Are mom and dad ok with you driving a nicer car then them? (unless they both own Mercedes? ) Listen kid, be smart and get something nice and reliable. Go make your millions and buy whatever car you like on your dime. Maybe if you don’t spend too much of your parents money they will realize they have a mature responsible child on their hands and would be willing to invest some money in your business. Would you let your 16 yr old son buy a Mercedes on your dime?

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
I didn't get a car at 16. I don't have a car now, and I'm doing alright. Just saying.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Mike, I don't think you should settle on a car you don't like for the sake of being young. If it is within your price range, buy the car that you like the best, just don't be stupid and buy a Benz with 100k miles on it.

You should spend your alloted money on the car you like the best as long as it is not a money pit.

To not get a nicer brand just because you are young is dumb.

That said, my dad took me shopping for OLD benzes when I was 16. I looked at 92-93 E's and S's. Why? because they are SAFE and he was fine helping me with the maintenance (financially and physically). I ended up getting a 94 Town Car from my grandma in pristine condition because she was no longer in a condition to drive. Started a mobile detailing business and traded it for a 06 Xterra about a year and a half later. I still drive that truck, it is beat to shit and I love it.

Amail

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
117%
Apr 12, 2012
North San Diego County
Get a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.
^^THIS

At the beginning of your entrepeneurial career you don't need bling. You need set-it-and-forget-it reliability and low cost of ownership. When your car breaks down (and sooner or later it will), you don't want the repair bill to derail your fledgling business.

Your Benz may be appropriate at some point in your life, but this is not it.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Honda, Toyota, or Nissan.

Guess this can also mean: Acura, Lexus or Infiniti...

American vehicles are cheaper to repair and are almost as reliable as Japanese vehicles. That said I would go with a Ford or Toyota product.

If you are going to get a Benz make sure you factor a carchex warranty into the price. They are usually 1500-2500.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
One more thing, you could lease a huge cheapie for a really long time for that. Think fiesta, fit, and sentra. You could get a new car every 3 years for almost a decade lol.

Mike39

Gold Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
100%
Mar 17, 2012
Orlando, FL
I convinced my mom to take a look at the 4runner, well see what the insurance guy says

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
I convinced my mom to take a look at the 4runner, well see what the insurance guy says

Looked at those for the girlfriend. The problem is in your price range they all have quite a few miles. We settled on a jeep commander.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Looked at those for the girlfriend. The problem is in your price range they all have quite a few miles. We settled on a jeep commander.

Doesnt matter. Even with high miles, my car still looks and runs like new. There is a reason they have the reputation they do. I think after 4 years my car is sitting at the same value as what i paid for it. Mainly because of the used car shortage and all but still.

If im not mistaken biophase has a 4runner as well, and MJ has or had a tacoma, lol.

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Not nocking the 4 runner, They are great SUVs and I wish I had one. I'm just saying a newer commander with 75k less miles on it will be the better deal. That is 5 years of use.

I have to call bullshit on the value after 4 years thing.... You must have got the best deal ever.

LightHouse

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
163%
Aug 13, 2007
Northern VA
Not nocking the 4 runner, They are great SUVs and I wish I had one. I'm just saying a newer commander with 75k less miles on it will be the better deal. That is 5 years of use.

I have to call bullshit on the value after 4 years thing.... You must have got the best deal ever.

I did, I made the deal, I.could have flipped the car for profit but I actually wanted the car. Over 4 years the value had dropped some then stayed stable with the increase of demand for reliable used cars. So that sits at about what I paid for it now maybe a little less.

Sent from my SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Damn. Do you drive much? I can't buy a truck that will be worth more than 30% after 4 years lol. Im hard on my trucks. This is why a lease and all of the penalties would be bad for me.

I baby the crap out of my cars on the other hand. Not that I have both right now, but it is very different for me. I much prefer a car. Ill keep the xterra when I go car shopping.

biophase

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
474%
Jul 25, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
If im not mistaken biophase has a 4runner as well

I sold my 4runner with 196k miles on it for $4k a few months ago. It was a pretty easy sell. A guy bought it from me without even a test drive.

I think they stop depreciating after 10 years and just hover around $5k in value forever. Mine needed new brakes all around, AC controller was broken. It needed total about $2500 of work. If all that was done I could have gotten $5500 easily which was the price I would have sold it for two years ago also.

I bought an MDX for $14k with 97k miles. So far it's doing good, but it did have some issues going uphill in the mountains. I doubt that it could really tow anything. The 4runner on the other hand was solid, went offroading many times and no problems.

PopEmersen

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
67%
May 2, 2011
Atlanta, GA, US
Your 16, get a used Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Then in a year or two after your fastlane businesses have sped up, you can go get something REALLY NICE. Take your time. If they got 10k, save your parents some bread and get something between 4-7k, they'll love you for it and it will show them that your take their money, and yours, seriously.

Now, if you worried about girls, DON'T. In 1-2 years when you have REAL paper, then you get something really nice and get as much booty as you want.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
Guess this can also mean: Acura, Lexus or Infiniti...

Why? They are the more expensive version of those cars. Besides badges, the cars are identical to each other, at a young age there is no reason to get an acura, lexus, or infiniti unless you want the bling appeal.

The-J

Dog Dad
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
264%
Aug 28, 2011
Ontario
Your 16, get a used Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. Then in a year or two after your fastlane businesses have sped up, you can go get something REALLY NICE. Take your time. If they got 10k, save your parents some bread and get something between 4-7k, they'll love you for it and it will show them that your take their money, and yours, seriously.

Now, if you worried about girls, DON'T. In 1-2 years when you have REAL paper, then you get something really nice and get as much booty as you want.

High school poon is overrated anyway. Cool thing about college is that the girls don't give a flying hootenanny what you drive.

Seriously, save your parents the money and get a car that will last you hopefully through college, if you decide to go.

Ivan

Bronze Contributor
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
88%
Jul 22, 2011
My favorite luxury car to drive was the G35. Reliable, stylish, and fast. And the engines are really common, so maintenance is cheaper. Did I mention they're fast? :D

JayKim

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
38%
Sep 4, 2008
Colorado Springs
Doesnt matter. Even with high miles, my car still looks and runs like new. There is a reason they have the reputation they do. I think after 4 years my car is sitting at the same value as what i paid for it. Mainly because of the used car shortage and all but still.

If im not mistaken biophase has a 4runner as well, and MJ has or had a tacoma, lol.

Agreed! my lexus sc300 has got 230,000 miles and runs solid, very well taken care of by the previous owner and is for sale btw :smxB: ...

I'd go with the 4runner. My sister was in the same situation as you. She was about to get a 4runner or honda crv, prelude (97 and up) Acura cl or tl, all have excellent reviews. We were thinking about the passport but skipped it since its a isuzu rodeo with a honda badge and have a ton of bad reviews. She ended up getting a crv its awd 22mpg. I would skip the xterras their gas mileage is terrible.

denver cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "4runner" - craigslist

colo springs cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "4runner" - craigslist

denver cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "cl" - craigslist

denver cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "tl" - craigslist

denver cars & trucks - by owner classifieds "prelude" - craigslist

http://denver.craigslist.org/search/cto?query=accord&srchType=T&minAsk=&maxAsk=

Jake

Platinum Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
148%
May 15, 2011
Bangkok
Agreed! my lexus sc300 has got 230,000 miles and runs solid, very well taken care of by the previous owner and is for sale btw :smxB: ...
I owned a Toyota Soarer when I lived in Japan. SC300 but with a 1JZ (2.5L TT) Loved that car.

I agree with Wado. Start with something on the cheaper side that's pretty reliable. When you can justify the cost and are bringing income in step up

Kak

Legendary Contributor
FASTLANE INSIDER
EPIC CONTRIBUTOR
Read Rat-Race Escape!
Read Fastlane!
Read Unscripted!
Summit Attendee
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
493%
Jan 23, 2011
Texas
Why? They are the more expensive version of those cars. Besides badges, the cars are identical to each other, at a young age there is no reason to get an acura, lexus, or infiniti unless you want the bling appeal.

If all the difference to you is the badge than you probably should not be giving car advice. All infiniti sedans are rear wheel drive, all nissan sedans are front wheel drive. What is the lexus LS based on? The GS? The IS? The only lexuses with toyota counterparts are the SUVs and the ES!

Why ever get one with this logic? Because they are cooler and nicer cars that rarely cost much more than their plain jane counterpart once they are used past warranty coverage. We are not talking new cars here.

You can probably get a 1 year older luxury variant with the same amount of miles for the same price.

Jaykim x2 on the Xterras getting shitty gas mileage. It is a different kind of vehicle than a rav 4. Honestly more comparable to an FJ. I get maybe 14 in Houston.

oddball

Bronze Contributor
Read Fastlane!
Speedway Pass
User Power
Value/Post Ratio
58%
Mar 8, 2011
Austin, TX
If all the difference to you is the badge than you probably should not be giving car advice. All infiniti sedans are rear wheel drive, all nissan sedans are front wheel drive. What is the lexus LS based on? The GS? The IS? The only lexuses with toyota counterparts are the SUVs and the ES!

Why ever get one with this logic? Because they are cooler and nicer cars that rarely cost much more than their plain jane counterpart once they are used past warranty coverage. We are not talking new cars here.

You can probably get a 1 year older luxury variant with the same amount of miles for the same price.

Jaykim x2 on the Xterras getting shitty gas mileage. It is a different kind of vehicle than a rav 4. Honestly more comparable to an FJ. I get maybe 14 in Houston.

Not all infiniti are rwd, a G35x is awd. The OP said he didn't want rwd. He is from Colorada, rwd and snow don't mix well. AWD would be ideal, but FWD is the next best thing. Also, AWD gets worse case mileage usually, so FWD is probably a good pick. Just for comparison, a G35 and 350z are basically identical cars. My friend has a Lexus IS series and the motor says Toyota on it (the 2JZ, non-TT one though). I guess I should have stated the cars are not EXACTLY the same, but I thought people would understand what I meant. They are based off each other and DO use a lot of the same parts. Oh, and a 350z actually has a different intake that adds 20hp over the G35, so there is that difference. One year older won't make much of a difference on price to say its a better buy. Car companies aren't stupid, they aren't going to make the luxury version at the same price, so thats why your lexus, acura, and inifinti are more expensive.

Please SEARCH before posting.
Please select the BEST category.

Guest post submissions offered HERE.

New Topics

Fastlane Insiders

View the forum AD FREE.
Private, unindexed content
Detailed process/execution threads
Ideas needing execution, more!

Join Fastlane Insiders.